This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#76 2013-02-18 19:33:07

soupoftomato
Scratcher

Re: Ridiculous Inventions

Regarding you saying that more hooks doesn't equal more grip, that would be because you need to have more surface area covered by the hooks. Putting the hooks entirely side by side will not help as much as spreading bunches of hooks out a little bit over your hand.

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#77 2013-02-19 03:11:47

calebxy
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

Regarding you saying that more hooks doesn't equal more grip, that would be because you need to have more surface area covered by the hooks. Putting the hooks entirely side by side will not help as much as spreading bunches of hooks out a little bit over your hand.

I fail to see the logic there. Yes, surface area is obviously important, but the same amount of hooks will still be touching the same amount of wall. They'll just be spread out more, and since the gaps themselves certainly don't add to the grip, I fail to see how that's supposed to work.

Anyway, you can see the layout of the hooks in that diagram I posted a while ago. You can see there that they're covering a decent amount of my hand, and I can't really put many more on without it stopping my hand from being able to move.

Last edited by calebxy (2013-02-19 03:12:13)

I'm making my own Doctor Who series!  big_smile  See the first episode here.
And please join Story Zone!  big_smile

#78 2013-02-19 04:48:51

PonyvilleSlugger
Scratcher

calebxy wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

I fail to see the logic there. Yes, surface area is obviously important, but the same amount of hooks will still be touching the same amount of wall. They'll just be spread out more, and since the gaps themselves certainly don't add to the grip, I fail to see how that's supposed to work.

Anyway, you can see the layout of the hooks in that diagram I posted a while ago. You can see there that they're covering a decent amount of my hand, and I can't really put many more on without it stopping my hand from being able to move.

You may want to learn some physics and whatnot before lifting yourself off the ground.

Ever wonder why tanks don't have 4 wheels? The larger the surface area the more the weight is spread out, having 1 big hook would be the same as 500 little hooks given the same area covered, it's not about how many hooks but the surface area the hooks are covering, bigger gloves would support a bigger person, regardless of hooks.

The only reason why you would want more hooks is if the hooks weren't strong enough to take the pressure, by adding more you'd be spreading your weight across more hooks.

I'm not actually that great with science past this point, but you may want to read up about surface area and weight distribution just because it will help you immensely.

♫ 8% of teens pretend to be morally superior due to the music they listen to. If you are one of the 92% of teens who don't, copy and paste this into your signature. ♫♪
http://i46.tinypic.com/waj11e.gif

#79 2013-02-19 05:07:13

calebxy
Scratcher

PonyvilleSlugger wrote:

calebxy wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

You may want to learn some physics and whatnot before lifting yourself off the ground.

Ever wonder why tanks don't have 4 wheels? The larger the surface area the more the weight is spread out, having 1 big hook would be the same as 500 little hooks given the same area covered, it's not about how many hooks but the surface area the hooks are covering, bigger gloves would support a bigger person, regardless of hooks.

The only reason why you would want more hooks is if the hooks weren't strong enough to take the pressure, by adding more you'd be spreading your weight across more hooks.

I'm not actually that great with science past this point, but you may want to read up about surface area and weight distribution just because it will help you immensely.

If I hold my hand out flat, making it streamlined, and then press it against the table, the friction will make it difficult to move. However, if I spread my hand out so it covers more area, but only my fingers touch the table, then it's going to be much easier. The point of having more surface area is that more of the object is touching the surface, therefore distributing the weight more evenly/creating more friction. If I move the hooks further apart to cover more area, the hooks will still be touching the exact same surface area on the wall, because it's only the hooks themselves that are touching the wall, not the gaps between them. The important part is the surface area of the contact points.

Last edited by calebxy (2013-02-19 05:25:36)

#80 2013-02-19 05:12:06

calebxy
Scratcher

But you know what, to test this, I'll do an experiment. I'll get the same amount of hooks (46) and attach them to a small wooden board. I'll make finger straps on the back of it and so forth, and then see how much grip that creates. If I'm wrong and you're right, then it should create less grip than the previous experiment, since the hooks are closer together, all in one space, rather than all over my hand.

#81 2013-03-06 08:55:07

calebxy
Scratcher

#82 2013-03-06 16:33:06

calebxy
Scratcher

#83 2013-03-12 13:50:19

calebxy
Scratcher

#84 2013-03-19 18:15:49

calebxy
Scratcher

Here's another one! How would you make a hoverboard?

http://ridiculous-inventions.weebly.com … board.html

#85 2013-03-24 15:35:38

calebxy
Scratcher

I've now updated my blog with another post about my wall climbing gloves. They are almost finished.  big_smile

#86 2013-04-05 15:25:32

calebxy
Scratcher

And here's some cool new progress on my web shooter, at long last: http://ridiculous-inventions.weebly.com … gress.html

#87 2013-04-05 22:14:53

Scratchthatguys
Scratcher

Hey, maybe you should tilt the hooks so that they are at an angle to dig into the wall better? It (might) give it better grip. If you also look at how spiders climb, it has hairs on their feet that are sticky and spread out to increase surface area. If you do something to increase surface area without increasing the area of the boards, you can possibly get a good ratio of grip-to-size (preferably with more grip than size). BTW, I have no idea if this will work.  tongue

#88 2013-04-05 22:18:38

soupoftomato
Scratcher

You either have the most supportive, or the most inattentive, parents ever.

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#89 2013-04-05 22:28:48

soupoftomato
Scratcher

calebxy wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

Do you know why animals spread themselves out on the ice?

The less of them is at one spot, the less likely that specific spot is to break.
That's surface area.

Following that, picture your hand, and specifically the hooks making contact with the wall, the animal, and consider the grip between the hooks and wall the ice.

Last edited by soupoftomato (2013-04-05 22:31:07)

#90 2013-04-06 06:46:15

calebxy
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

You either have the most supportive, or the most inattentive, parents ever.

They're incredibly supportive, but what makes you say that?

#91 2013-04-06 06:51:00

calebxy
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

calebxy wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

Do you know why animals spread themselves out on the ice?

The less of them is at one spot, the less likely that specific spot is to break.
That's surface area.

Following that, picture your hand, and specifically the hooks making contact with the wall, the animal, and consider the grip between the hooks and wall the ice.

That's weight distribution, not anything to do with grip. If you can find an example that is actually applicable, then I'll be more than happy to reconsider. And I gave you an example that proves my point; press your hand on a table and pull it back, first with your hand spread out and then with it not. It makes no difference, because it's still the exact same area of flesh that's touching the table. Friction doesn't care about the space in between, and friction is what we're talking about here, not weight distribution.

Last edited by calebxy (2013-04-06 07:03:49)

#92 2013-04-06 07:01:42

calebxy
Scratcher

Scratchthatguys wrote:

Hey, maybe you should tilt the hooks so that they are at an angle to dig into the wall better? It (might) give it better grip. If you also look at how spiders climb, it has hairs on their feet that are sticky and spread out to increase surface area. If you do something to increase surface area without increasing the area of the boards, you can possibly get a good ratio of grip-to-size (preferably with more grip than size). BTW, I have no idea if this will work.  tongue

The hooks seem to me to be at a pretty good angle already, but maybe you're right.

My brother said that I should attach hinges to each of the hooks so they can move freely so each of them can actually dig into the wall as much as possible. That's a very good point, but I was always against it because it meant that I would need tens and tens of tiny hinges, which would probably be very expensive to acquire (which is the same reason I decided to make the hooks instead of buy them).

However, last night, I had a bit of a brainstorm and worked out a much better way of achieving that same effect. If I put bits of elastic material (as in, material which will revert to its original shape after being deformed) behind each hook, then when I press the board into the wall, all the hooks will be able to be squashed back however much is needed for every hook to be touching the wall.

Last edited by calebxy (2013-04-06 07:06:23)

#93 2013-04-16 10:51:32

calebxy
Scratcher

Here's a post about how incredibly awesome hard drives are!  big_smile  http://ridiculous-inventions.weebly.com … -best.html

#94 2013-04-16 17:09:22

bananaman99
New Scratcher

Anyone else heard of the Speech Jammer? If not, google it, it's pretty sweet  tongue

#95 2013-04-16 17:19:52

calebxy
Scratcher

bananaman99 wrote:

Anyone else heard of the Speech Jammer? If not, google it, it's pretty sweet  tongue

Ah yes, I read about that a while ago. It's very cool. But... what's it got to do with this topic?  tongue

#96 2013-04-16 17:53:43

bananaman99
New Scratcher

calebxy wrote:

bananaman99 wrote:

Ah yes, I read about that a while ago. It's very cool. But... what's it got to do with this topic?  tongue

It's an invention I find ridiculous  tongue  (even though I didnt make it)

#97 2013-04-17 11:57:57

calebxy
Scratcher

bananaman99 wrote:

calebxy wrote:

bananaman99 wrote:

It's an invention I find ridiculous  tongue  (even though I didnt make it)

Oh I see. Well this topic isn't for ridiculous inventions in general, it's about the inventions I'm making in my blog.

Board footer