This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2007-12-02 21:05:40

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

Reflection

As a native Spanish speaking person I always find it a bit sad that most of the technology is English-centric.

I have come to accept the pragmatism of using English as the common language to communicate with people from all over the world but I still think there is a lot of value in being able to express yourself in your favorite language.

As Scratch becomes more popular in other countries and cultures, we are trying to learn from it and adapt.

For me, Wikipedia is the golden standard: one single website welcomes "all" the languages. However, the knowledge in the Wikipedia articles in different languages is not always shared. This is one of the disadvantages of splitting a community by language: it can created isolated communities that don't learn from each other.

The new version of Scratch allows anyone to translate Scratch to any language that uses roman characters and in a few months we will support all languages using Unicode. In the same way, we will be adding support for multiple languages on the website.

We are going to be learning little by little on the best ways of supporting a multi-cultural and multi-language community. I think the Scratch community is a bit different from others, like Wikipedia or YouTube, because one big advantage in Scratch is that it is possible to read someone people's code in multiple languages. We will be learning as we go.

How would you say "Scratch on!" in your own language? :-)

Español: "¡Arriba Scratch!"

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#2 2007-12-04 10:54:16

Mick
Scratcher

Re: Reflection

Um... I have no idea.
I don't speak a lot of Irish.  neutral
'Dia duit' is hello.

Go to www.legoless.com
It's my blog.  big_smile

#3 2007-12-04 23:12:23

MyRedNeptune
Community Moderator

"Продолжай Скр тчить!" , that's how it sounds on russian. XD

http://i52.tinypic.com/5es7t0.png I know what you're thinking! "Neptune! Get rid of those filthy advertisements and give us back the Zarathustra siggy, you horrible person!" Well, don't worry about it, the Zara siggy will be back soon, new and improved! ^^ Meanwhile, just do what the sig tells you to. >.>

#4 2007-12-04 23:14:23

MyRedNeptune
Community Moderator

MyRedNeptune wrote:

"Продолжай Скр� тчить!"

Aaaaawwwww, it can't read the letter.  sad  Ok, I think I can replace it: "Продолжай Скретчить!"
Yuck. That sounds awwwful.

Last edited by MyRedNeptune (2007-12-04 23:14:43)

http://i52.tinypic.com/5es7t0.png I know what you're thinking! "Neptune! Get rid of those filthy advertisements and give us back the Zarathustra siggy, you horrible person!" Well, don't worry about it, the Zara siggy will be back soon, new and improved! ^^ Meanwhile, just do what the sig tells you to. >.>

#5 2007-12-05 04:32:26

Mick
Scratcher

MyRedNeptune wrote:

MyRedNeptune wrote:

"Продолжай Скр� тчить!"

Aaaaawwwww, it can't read the letter.  sad  Ok, I think I can replace it: "Продолжай Скретчить!"

It does? How do you pronounce it?
'Dia duit' is pronounced dee-a-dwit'.  big_smile

Go to www.legoless.com
It's my blog.  big_smile

#6 2007-12-05 07:39:05

MyRedNeptune
Community Moderator

Mick wrote:

MyRedNeptune wrote:

MyRedNeptune wrote:

"Продолжай Скр� тчить!"

It does? How do you pronounce it?
'Dia duit' is pronounced dee-a-dwit'.  big_smile

I'll try, but many russian sounds aren't avaliable in english. Anyways, in the english version it will sound ProdoljshAy ScrEtchit'. Very unrealistic. You might pronounce it wrong. I would want to use a transcription, but I don't know how to type it. So, I'll try to explain the sounding of each vowel. The two O's and the A in "prodoljshay" are pronounced as in the word "all". The E in " screthchit' " is pronounced as the first letter e in the word "level". The I in the same word is pronounced as in the word "deer".
I hope that makes sense.  smile

#7 2007-12-05 18:31:11

MartinWollenweber
Scratcher

Hi Andres,
thanks for the multi language  forums at the Scratch Website. I agree with your above analysis and I am looking forward to your planed steps to more internationality of Scratch while  targeting secondly to hold the community together. Good Luck for that !

At our german forum we integrated a thread for "non-german-speaking" people to communicate to the German language community in english:
http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2406
(by the way: How do I get rid of typos in the topic-line of threads?)

You ask how to say "Scratch on!" in German:
"Scratch weiter!" would be the direct translation, but that doesn't sound really good in German. I would prefer to use "Fröhliches Scratchen!" that you could translate with "Happy Scratching!" So:

Deutsch: "Fröhliches Scratchen!"

Last edited by MartinWollenweber (2007-12-05 18:34:00)

Martin
...mitmachen beim  DACH-Scratch-Wiki und Scratch-Wiki-Autor werden!

#8 2007-12-06 01:23:29

Jens
Scratcher

MartinWollenweber wrote:

"Frohes Scratchen!"  smile

Jens Mönig

#9 2007-12-06 17:22:05

MartinWollenweber
Scratcher

Jens wrote:

MartinWollenweber wrote:

"Frohes Scratchen!"  smile

Jens: You have a point: "Happy Christmas!" (better Merry Christmas) is also "Frohe Weihnachten!" and not "Fröhliche Weihnachten" in German.
But: If there is no "Ö" inside, you can't see that it is German  smile

Man kann die "fohe Botschaft" doch auch föhlich verkünden?

Fröhliches Scratchen!  big_smile
Martin

Last edited by MartinWollenweber (2007-12-06 17:31:15)

Martin
...mitmachen beim  DACH-Scratch-Wiki und Scratch-Wiki-Autor werden!

#10 2007-12-07 00:14:19

MyRedNeptune
Community Moderator

MartinWollenweber wrote:

Fröhliches Scratchen!  big_smile

Oh, so that's German, right?

#11 2007-12-07 01:49:17

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

MyRedNeptune, I meant to ask about Продолжай Скретчить!
Isn't the ж better transliterated as zh than sh?  It is the voiced, not the unvoiced consonant, which is ш. English uses the zh sound occasionally, but usually with weird spelling (like at the end of "deluge").
So  prodolzhai scretcheet! is probably about as close as you can get an English speaker to produce (English really does have no way to represent the softening of the final t by the ь).

Note: Although I had two years of Russian in college, I have since forgotten almost all of it---I can recite the alphabet and remember a handful of greetings, and that's about it. I've retained much more of the German I learned in high school.  Two lessons from this: learn foreign languages when you are young, and practice them every year if you want to retain them.

#12 2007-12-07 03:28:07

MyRedNeptune
Community Moderator

kevin_karplus wrote:

MyRedNeptune, I meant to ask about Продолжай Скретчить!
Isn't the ж better transliterated as zh than sh?  It is the voiced, not the unvoiced consonant, which is ш. English uses the zh sound occasionally, but usually with weird spelling (like at the end of "deluge").
So  prodolzhai scretcheet! is probably about as close as you can get an English speaker to produce (English really does have no way to represent the softening of the final t by the ь).

Note: Although I had two years of Russian in college, I have since forgotten almost all of it---I can recite the alphabet and remember a handful of greetings, and that's about it. I've retained much more of the German I learned in high school.  Two lessons from this: learn foreign languages when you are young, and practice them every year if you want to retain them.

Thanks! I had no idea of how to transliterate "ж".

#13 2007-12-08 01:52:09

Gigabyte123
Scratcher

what about an africaans language? ... or hebrew,

dunkey

Last edited by Gigabyte123 (2007-12-08 01:52:28)

gather your confidence- reach for the skies... and always use deoderant!

#14 2007-12-09 00:53:08

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

Gigabyte123: africaans, hebrew and any other language is welcomed

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#15 2007-12-09 11:14:00

Mick
Scratcher

How about Irish? :mrgreen: Just joking, I dont even know what 'Scratch on!' is in Irish. I think I know how to say it, but it could mean 'scratch yourself' too.  hmm

Go to www.legoless.com
It's my blog.  big_smile

#16 2007-12-23 19:09:29

The_Dear_Comunity
Scratcher

in hebrew it is סקרטש  עובד   in english pernouncet scrtch ouved!
in germen its sceratch oiyz groit
in yidish its סקר טש יז גרייט in english pernouncet sceratch iyz grat
in lashon hakodesh its סקרש הו  מצויין
lol

#17 2007-12-23 19:10:48

The_Dear_Comunity
Scratcher

all the    are in anglish "A"
wink

#18 2007-12-25 08:30:08

The-Dear-Comunity
Scratcher

<go to

The_Dear_Comunity wrote:

all the �   are in anglish "A"
wink

i know that! i am your twin!

#19 2007-12-26 15:45:41

SmeAnd
Scratcher

andresmh wrote:

How would you say "Scratch on!" in your own language? :-)

If you translate scratch into Swedish it might be: "Skratscha på" with a Swenglish approach. And if you are very academic and translate it from the book it´s if you mean scratch=scratch yourself: "Klia på". Hmmm... By the way... what do really mean by Scratch... in english. It would be translated in so many ways...

//Anders
Sweden

Anders
Smedjebacken, in the middle of nowhere... Sweden

#20 2007-12-27 03:41:44

Gigabyte123
Scratcher

I don't know where to type the hebrew letters.

#21 2007-12-27 03:42:46

Gigabyte123
Scratcher

thats why I always say stuff as an english pronounciation, like shalom and tov.

#22 2007-12-31 15:29:02

beepbeep
Scratcher

If i treat scratch as a separate verb, "scratchi" or maybe "skratc^i",  "scratch on!" could be translated into Esperanto as "kontinuas skrac^i!"  Literally, that would be "Continue Scratching!"

ps. i dont know how to make the ^ above a letter.

Beep away!

smile    smile    smile    smile    smile    smile    smile    smile    smile    smile    smile    smile    smile    smile    smile    smile

#23 2007-12-31 23:17:43

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

"kontinuas skratĉi" has a nice sound to it, but shouldn't the first verb be in the jussive case?  "kontinuu skratĉi"  Perhaps a better translation would be "daŭru grati"? 

Disclaimer: I don't know any Esperanto—these conjectures come just from looking at the Wikipedia article on Esperanto  and an online Esperanto dictionary.

#24 2008-01-08 21:10:53

Heybrian
Scratcher

i know german.      ich been inttelegent.

Black Mesa. go here to get a game 10 times better than SN or FW.  http://scratch.mit.edu/galleries/view/10650
Smiley! copy and paste these into your post or signature!  smile   sad    yikes                 big_smile     wink    tongue    hmm    neutral   cool   lol   mad   roll

#25 2008-01-25 23:19:50

mobbyfett396
Scratcher

I agree with adres but the only problem is that this program was created in the US if you realyy have a problem with it then talk to the MIT school.  By the way check out my projects.    http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2366#req_message

Board footer