This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#76 2013-02-12 22:17:56

OrcaCat
Scratcher

Re: Why Scratch is now completely messed up.

BLU_Spy wrote:

Ugh2460 wrote:

Shadowed1 wrote:

I can't go 2 seconds without seeing another completely useless project. I mean, most projects that are on the front page at the moment are minecraft videos, colouring competitions (hint: you click the fill button) and rushed, sloppy projects.

Scratch is supposed to be about making GAMES and PUTTING HARD WORK INTO THEM so they get appreciated. So few people now are making quality games (in comparison to the number of people that are making utterly useless projects) that I feel seriously demotivated about working on another project.

Scratch's motto is "imagine, program, share". If you're planning on making a half-decent project, you have to IMAGINE the idea and put at least a few scripts in it i.e. PROGRAMMING. To imagine something it has to be ORIGINAL. I swear, there are at least 50,000 projects that are colouring in competitions.

Actually, the projects on the front page at the moment are slightly better compared to what I usually see, but nonetheless still filled with useless junk. But seriously, if you are going to post a project, at least put a reasonable amount of time into it and be different from the norm.

To fix this, curators have to choose projects that are QUALITY projects, not some half-baked project from some random out there. If you get front paged, you should have to WORK FOR IT.

Also, if you are posting a project to be featured: 1. Check that that project is not made by yourself and 2. Check that the project is WORTH FEATURING. And if you are the moderator featuring the project, check the project before you feature it.

On a side note: GET RID OF THE TOP REMIXED LINE ON THE FRONT PAGE. IT IS COMPLETELY WORTHLESS AND NOT BEING USED FOR THE INTENTION IT WAS BEING USED FOR I.E. PROJECTS THAT ARE ACTUALLY CONSTRUCTIVE.

In conclusion, Scratch is now a horrible mess. I can't believe that the 1% of people who post constructive and fun projects are being overridden by the 99% of people who don't have the patience to work on the project before they share it. I'm not saying that everyone is lazy but if you are too lazy to care about the projects you post, then you should either start using Scratch for the purpose it was intended for or you should quit the site. Not kidding.

~Shadowed1

I completely agree with this post. You, sir, deserve a gold medal.

I know you aren't talking about new scratchers, because we all were new scratchers at one point right? I like complimenting those scratchers. But rather, you are talking about so-called artists. And for all of you who disagree with this guy, Scratch is a programming language, so why not use it to PROGRAM? A light-bulb should've went off over your head by now.

Scratch 1.4 has a paint editor only slightly better than MS Paint, so why do people insist on using for the purpose of posting art? There's deviantart, and there's a site called Weebly for making your own free websites and blogs so you can upload that stuff if you think deviantart has a bad community. (because really, it does)

And since you posted this topic, the Front Page has been DOMINATED by projects anyone with a 'how to draw cats' book can do in 10 minutes. Whatever happened to the great animations and Flash-esque games of old? Don't any of you reading this MISS that Golden Age where everyone was inspired to put effort into their projects? Apparently, no one does, because absolutely nothing improved since the day this topic was posted.

Scratch is not an art program, Scratch is a programming language. So please start treating it like one.

This is an opinion. Whether you believe it or not, it's up to you.

Paddle2See wrote:

The MIT Media Lab, that created Scratch, is interested in enabling digital creativity in ALL forms - not just programming.  The fact that art with music (and without it) has become so popular is an interesting aspect of the Scratch project that, while unexpected, is certainly welcome. (Source)

It's weird... I agree with both perspectives...

Awesome music     Electrode's theme     Epic music
Bye, 1.x.  sad                             Hello, 2.x!  smile

#77 2013-02-12 23:10:55

lalala3
Scratcher

OrcaCat wrote:

BLU_Spy wrote:

Ugh2460 wrote:

I know you aren't talking about new scratchers, because we all were new scratchers at one point right? I like complimenting those scratchers. But rather, you are talking about so-called artists. And for all of you who disagree with this guy, Scratch is a programming language, so why not use it to PROGRAM? A light-bulb should've went off over your head by now.

Scratch 1.4 has a paint editor only slightly better than MS Paint, so why do people insist on using for the purpose of posting art? There's deviantart, and there's a site called Weebly for making your own free websites and blogs so you can upload that stuff if you think deviantart has a bad community. (because really, it does)

And since you posted this topic, the Front Page has been DOMINATED by projects anyone with a 'how to draw cats' book can do in 10 minutes. Whatever happened to the great animations and Flash-esque games of old? Don't any of you reading this MISS that Golden Age where everyone was inspired to put effort into their projects? Apparently, no one does, because absolutely nothing improved since the day this topic was posted.

Scratch is not an art program, Scratch is a programming language. So please start treating it like one.

Paddle2See wrote:

The MIT Media Lab, that created Scratch, is interested in enabling digital creativity in ALL forms - not just programming.  The fact that art with music (and without it) has become so popular is an interesting aspect of the Scratch project that, while unexpected, is certainly welcome. (Source)

It's weird... I agree with both perspectives...

This is funny. They say to programmers, "You want useful blocks? Go find another programming language!"* and yet they aren't sending the art people to a different website or program. This seems to me to be incredibly skewed. If Scratch should be kicking anyone out, it absolutely should not be the programmers.

*To people who say that new Scratchers (the "new" part doesn't deserve a capital letter) have to understand it all, your mindset is another problem with Scratch. I know middle schoolers who can't comprehend "if" statements (the state of humanity as indicated by that observation depresses me. Oh, and whatever you do, do not remove "if" statements. That would be horrifying.). The point is that new Scratchers don't need to understand everything immediately, Q.E.D. For the sake of all the bright kids out there, please remember that "child" is not synonymous to "mentally handicapped".

Last edited by lalala3 (2013-02-12 23:26:57)

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/9374/signature2nt.png

#78 2013-02-13 12:13:05

firedrake969_test
Scratcher

Agree with Ugh and lalala3.

Wish we could get someone from MIT to answer...  tongue

All posts on here are pretty much opinions, and we are free to have our own.  However, there's DeviantArt for a reason.

Alt of Firedrake969.

#79 2013-02-13 15:57:30

mintfang
Scratcher

Ugh2460 wrote:

Shadowed1 wrote:

I can't go 2 seconds without seeing another completely useless project. I mean, most projects that are on the front page at the moment are minecraft videos, colouring competitions (hint: you click the fill button) and rushed, sloppy projects.

Scratch is supposed to be about making GAMES and PUTTING HARD WORK INTO THEM so they get appreciated. So few people now are making quality games (in comparison to the number of people that are making utterly useless projects) that I feel seriously demotivated about working on another project.

Scratch's motto is "imagine, program, share". If you're planning on making a half-decent project, you have to IMAGINE the idea and put at least a few scripts in it i.e. PROGRAMMING. To imagine something it has to be ORIGINAL. I swear, there are at least 50,000 projects that are colouring in competitions.

Actually, the projects on the front page at the moment are slightly better compared to what I usually see, but nonetheless still filled with useless junk. But seriously, if you are going to post a project, at least put a reasonable amount of time into it and be different from the norm.

To fix this, curators have to choose projects that are QUALITY projects, not some half-baked project from some random out there. If you get front paged, you should have to WORK FOR IT.

Also, if you are posting a project to be featured: 1. Check that that project is not made by yourself and 2. Check that the project is WORTH FEATURING. And if you are the moderator featuring the project, check the project before you feature it.

On a side note: GET RID OF THE TOP REMIXED LINE ON THE FRONT PAGE. IT IS COMPLETELY WORTHLESS AND NOT BEING USED FOR THE INTENTION IT WAS BEING USED FOR I.E. PROJECTS THAT ARE ACTUALLY CONSTRUCTIVE.

In conclusion, Scratch is now a horrible mess. I can't believe that the 1% of people who post constructive and fun projects are being overridden by the 99% of people who don't have the patience to work on the project before they share it. I'm not saying that everyone is lazy but if you are too lazy to care about the projects you post, then you should either start using Scratch for the purpose it was intended for or you should quit the site. Not kidding.

~Shadowed1

Sorry if this comes off as mean:
Scratch is not so a bunch of people who program Sims and WolfQuest can make really good games! Scratch is REALLY for KIDS who are LEARNING to use the COMPUTER, for God's sakes! Not everyone can be so very epic. People are allowed to have different interests! I like art. Are you saying that about half of my projects are garbage? That hurts. BADLY.

Basically, you're insulting a bunch of kids who like art.

Again, this is not meant to be mean.

http://i33.tinypic.com/25p1rw6.png

#80 2013-02-13 16:04:48

archmage
Scratcher

Andres-Vander wrote:

G0D_M0D3 wrote:

Anyways, RHY got really good. All of his first projects were rubbish. He learned, and you have to give people a chance.

They were still much better than everything else, even today

Also you joined in 2011, he was here in 2009

Well I think that he was really good at game maker before he even tried scratch so I don't think he learned much from Scratch alone.

Scratch has always been filled with more amateur projects than others. The really good projects are usually made by people who already have years of programming experience in other tools. Scratch right now is how the creators wanted it to be like I think, lots of young programming noobs sharing their stuff and playing with a fun programming tool.  smile

If Scratch isn't quite challenging anymore the Flash, Android, IOS, and HTML5 communities are booming and always happy to help another noob out  smile

Hi, I am Archmage coder extraordinaire. I do Scratch,pascal,java,php,html, AS2 and AS3. Leave me a message if you want coding advice. Also check out my personal website, lots of good stuff about web development, Flash, and Scratch (v1 and v2) !

#81 2013-02-13 16:30:54

zubblewu
Scratcher

archmage wrote:

Andres-Vander wrote:

G0D_M0D3 wrote:

Anyways, RHY got really good. All of his first projects were rubbish. He learned, and you have to give people a chance.

They were still much better than everything else, even today

Also you joined in 2011, he was here in 2009

Well I think that he was really good at game maker before he even tried scratch so I don't think he learned much from Scratch alone.

Scratch has always been filled with more amateur projects than others. The really good projects are usually made by people who already have years of programming experience in other tools. Scratch right now is how the creators wanted it to be like I think, lots of young programming noobs sharing their stuff and playing with a fun programming tool.  smile

If Scratch isn't quite challenging anymore the Flash, Android, IOS, and HTML5 communities are booming and always happy to help another noob out  smile

that's true, but the point of the people on this thread is that many people are completely ignoring the programming aspect of it.

........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

#82 2013-02-13 17:18:31

Mokat
Scratcher

mintfang wrote:

Ugh2460 wrote:

Shadowed1 wrote:

~Shadowed1

Scratch is not so a bunch of people who program Sims and WolfQuest can make really good games! Scratch is REALLY for KIDS who are LEARNING to use the COMPUTER, for God's sakes! Scratch is meant for everyone. The goal of Scratch is top appeal to everyone. Not everyone can be so very epic. People are allowed to have different interests! I like art. Are you saying that about half of my projects are garbage? That hurts. BADLY. No one ever said that. We're saying that Scratch's front page is filled with projects that take about five seconds. And if you want to go somewhere where your art would be appreciated, I suggest Deviantart.

http://www.eggcave.com/egg/977371.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/977376.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/1005291.pnghttp://www.eggcave.com/egg/996745.png

#83 2013-02-13 20:37:51

undefeatedgames
Scratcher

You do have a point. I personally think the drawings and contests should be placed on a separate Scratch site, maybe like drawings.scratch.mit.edu (someone could think of a site name better than drawings)

Please call me udg or bearsfan, not undefeated.
Scratch and Misc.! Click here for Misc.'s Successorhttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-jkhes3yzmQk/T7G_BnxT9xI/AAAAAAAABYI/xhoN1Jk2M08/s513/sigp1.gif

#84 2013-02-13 21:39:33

gristly
New Scratcher

...Shadowed1, I have to disagree with you. Like other people have said, scratch is a program for people who are new to programming! I Just started scratch a few days ago, I learned Java and HTML first and thought it would be refreshing to go to something a lot more basic for a while. I basically understood the way most of scratch works within a few hours of screwing around with it, however, many new scratchers are younger and really don't understand what programming is really about. You take a kid who hasn't even done square roots in math class yet, and tell him to program a game? Not gonna happen. But if you let him work with it, start figuring stuff out, and provide a *nice community* then he'll learn fast, and start to make the sort of high quality projects we all enjoy. Rome wasn't built in a day.

when gf clicked
wait [until the new person is familiar with Scratch]
think [now I can give back to the commuity with something awesome!]
end
if <[Better scratchers] = [hating]>
think [The community around here isn't all that great, maybe I should give up on scratch]
And we don't want that, do we?

#85 2013-02-13 22:03:54

lalala3
Scratcher

gristly wrote:

...Shadowed1, I have to disagree with you. Like other people have said, scratch is a program for people who are new to programming! I Just started scratch a few days ago, I learned Java and HTML first and thought it would be refreshing to go to something a lot more basic for a while. I basically understood the way most of scratch works within a few hours of screwing around with it, however, many new scratchers are younger and really don't understand what programming is really about. You take a kid who hasn't even done square roots in math class yet, and tell him to program a game? Not gonna happen. But if you let him work with it, start figuring stuff out, and provide a *nice community* then he'll learn fast, and start to make the sort of high quality projects we all enjoy. Rome wasn't built in a day.
[scratchblocks removed because I don't ever want to see them if anyone decides to respond to my post]
And we don't want that, do we?

Well, here's the thing.

Shadowed1 wrote:

The above quote was the conclusion paragraph, so the quote probably pertains the most to the post as a whole, excluding the thesis statement. Which means, it's closest to his point.

Shadowed1 believes that Scratchers aren't trying anymore. We do help Scratchers become better programmers. It's just that some don't even want to get better at programming. Yes, we are perfectly willing to help anyone trying to get better. No, we don't approve of not gaining or improving skills.

#86 2013-02-13 22:12:14

lalala3
Scratcher

undefeatedgames wrote:

You do have a point. I personally think the drawings and contests should be placed on a separate Scratch site, maybe like drawings.scratch.mit.edu (someone could think of a site name better than drawings)

Here's an alternate thought:

The ST should make the separation between major tags (Art, Animation, etc.) more pronounced (for example, allow users to prevent projects with certain tags from showing up on their personal home page and, if the user wishes, in searches), and make people stop checking all the boxes for every single project they publish (guilty). Then the art projects can stay (although I don't understand why you would want to use Scratch, of all things, for art) and the programmers don't ever have to see them again.

#87 2013-02-14 01:31:37

kayybee
Scratcher

lalala3 wrote:

undefeatedgames wrote:

The ST should make the separation between major tags (Art, Animation, etc.) more pronounced (for example, allow users to prevent projects with certain tags from showing up on their personal home page and, if the user wishes, in searches), and make people stop checking all the boxes for every single project they publish (guilty). Then the art projects can stay (although I don't understand why you would want to use Scratch, of all things, for art) and the programmers don't ever have to see them again.

That's actually a really good idea. I think there should be "categories" (art, animation, game, etc, with "other") and "tags".

So you could filter by categories.

This might make the front page list really weird though, as it would be different for everybody... and people might go "top loved!" when it might be 5th or something just because they filtered the other categories out so they can't see them.

#88 2013-02-14 10:43:03

berberberber
Scratcher

It's funny...  I've agreed with almost every post on this topic... tongue .

OT, I don't think it's a good idea to separate things by tags because the only tag you ever see on a project is, " awesome".

http://i47.tinypic.com/2iaa73k.png

#89 2013-02-14 16:06:43

lalala3
Scratcher

kayybee wrote:

lalala3 wrote:

undefeatedgames wrote:

That's actually a really good idea. I think there should be "categories" (art, animation, game, etc, with "other") and "tags".

So you could filter by categories.

This might make the front page list really weird though, as it would be different for everybody... and people might go "top loved!" when it might be 5th or something just because they filtered the other categories out so they can't see them.

It doesn't matter all that much, I mean, one should be able to change the hypothetical option back.

#90 2013-02-14 18:52:44

joshuaho
Scratcher

Shadowed1 wrote:

~Shadowed1

Hold on right there. You should consider about the following.

All scratchers are beginners! I did not know how to use variables until my third scratch class.I also did not know how to use boadcast and when I recieve blocks until my second scratch class.

Those 99% of those "impaitent" people may be beginners. Some of them are working on a awsome game, but it takes time. During that time, they share out not so good projects, but soon, share out a awsome project!  smile

Did you know that you can go to space and see Mars by clicking here?

#91 2013-02-14 19:22:15

Wes64
Scratcher

Ugh2460 wrote:

Unfortunately, unless you're talking about the 'newest projects' section, you're dead wrong. If you've seen the front page lately, ALMOST NO ONE seems to be EVEN TRYING to learn actual programming. They are just using it as their own little DeviantArt, which should tick off any programmer in his right mind.

why should programmers be ticked off at art people? the world isn't black and white, like you have asserted. it's not programmers vs art. the community of this website does not rightfully belong to any faction, and no faction may claim superiority.

you believe that people who make art are inferior to programmers - "NO ONE seems to be EVEN TRYING to learn actual programming. They are just using it as their own little DeviantArt" - which is flawed in several ways.

first of all you automatically assume that using a programming language necessitates utilizing said language. this is absolutely false. youtube is a site for videos, but people also put music on it, and you know what? it's a perfectly valid use of the medium. so is art, here. scratch has art capabilities, it has fostered an art-based community, and it's a perfectly valid use of the program as defined by the scratch team. is it the way it was intended? it doesn't matter, that's all speculation. art is ok.

the second thing you assume is that all projects have to be good. this is also false. why is it that you feel entitled to a front page where everything automatically meets your standards? do you know how rare this is? the website doesn't revolve around you, it revolves around everyone, and a lot of everyone happen to like art. obviously you don't, so the perfect solution is to ignore the front page - you don't have to look at it, it doesn't ever have to meet your standards, because it's not for you.

due to the obvious solution for your dislike of the front page (just look for projects yourself, galleries, do a search) and the extremely anti-art views of your posts here, it seems like you're just talking to hear yourself talk. there is no logical reason to exterminate art projects just because you don't like them. your statements have no logical basis for making the site better as a whole, rather, you appear to be trying to impose your own value system on the community while ignoring the say of others.

now please argue your point with logic, as i have done.

Last edited by Wes64 (2013-02-14 19:22:54)

Experienced 2.0 Tester: Ask me questions!
Using Firefox 13.0, Flash plugin version 11.4.402.287, and Windows XP Professional.

#92 2013-02-14 19:37:54

Wes64
Scratcher

Ugh2460 wrote:

DeviantArt, where art is MEANT to go.

I'm not saying your projects are garbage, I'm saying they would be better appreciated somewhere else besides Scratch.

dude you're basically saying her projects are garbage. what is garbage? it's stuff that we get rid of. what are you saying we should get rid of? her projects.

now please read the nice juicy refutation i put above instead of recycling the same arguments again

Last edited by Wes64 (2013-02-14 19:38:24)

Using Firefox 13.0, Flash plugin version 11.4.402.287, and Windows XP Professional.

#93 2013-02-14 20:00:17

Ugh2460
Scratcher

Wes64 wrote:

Ugh2460 wrote:

I'm not saying your projects are garbage, I'm saying they would be better appreciated somewhere else besides Scratch.

dude you're basically saying her projects are garbage. what is garbage? it's stuff that we get rid of. what are you saying we should get rid of? her projects.

now please read the nice juicy refutation i put above instead of recycling the same arguments again

You're absolutely right, and I should humble myself a lot. I've read that refutation, and I agree with all of it, after dropping my jaw at how much of a numb-skulled jerk I've been lately. I guess I'm just longing for the old days of Scratch, to the point of being an absolute moron. Thank you for that post, it helped me see things A LOT clearer. I wish I could get rid of my posts somehow, because I take it all back. You're on the forums a lot, considering you have over 1000 posts, so could you please tell me a way? Should I just edit them saying I take it back?

EDIT: Never mind, you can delete posts. I just didn't see it. XD

Last edited by Ugh2460 (2013-02-14 20:06:42)

Scratch 2.0 makes Scratch 1.4 look like it was made by a bunch of cavemen. Hey, wait a second....

#94 2013-02-14 20:13:09

Wes64
Scratcher

Ugh2460 wrote:

Wes64 wrote:

Ugh2460 wrote:

You're absolutely right, and I should humble myself a lot. I've read that refutation, and I agree with all of it, after dropping my jaw at how much of a numb-skulled jerk I've been lately. I guess I'm just longing for the old days of Scratch, to the point of being an absolute moron. Thank you for that post, it helped me see things A LOT clearer. I wish I could get rid of my posts somehow, because I take it all back. You're on the forums a lot, considering you have over 1000 posts, so could you please tell me a way? Should I just edit them saying I take it back?

EDIT: Never mind, you can delete posts. I just didn't see it. XD

hey its fine, its all good now that you've apologized. i just used your posts as an example to show my opinion, because a lot of other people think that too.

#95 2013-02-14 20:38:44

Firedrake969
Scratcher

Still no agreement.   hmm
I'm not saying art is bad and is garbage, so don't put those words in my mouth.
In fact, don't put any words in my mouth.
We each have our own opinions.  Mine is rather firm.

Click the sign.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/eterna/eterna2/logo2.png

#96 2013-02-14 22:17:11

mintfang
Scratcher

Mokat wrote:

mintfang wrote:

Scratch is not so a bunch of people who program Sims and WolfQuest can make really good games! Scratch is REALLY for KIDS who are LEARNING to use the COMPUTER, for God's sakes! Scratch is meant for everyone. The goal of Scratch is top appeal to everyone.I thought that was pretty clear. And you do realize you're undermining your own arguement? At least, I think. I was never very good with that. Not everyone can be so very epic. People are allowed to have different interests! I like art. Are you saying that about half of my projects are garbage? That hurts. BADLY. No one ever said that. We're saying that Scratch's front page is filled with projects that take about five seconds. And if you want to go somewhere where your art would be appreciated, I suggest Deviantart.You know what? Some people want a friendly community. Not a bunch of people who cuss at you. I seriously couldn't care LESS if it was appreciated. I just want to get it out there.

And all I ever wanted was my opinions. I don't want Deviantart, I want Scratch. I want friendly people who don't cuss at me or hate me. I want staff I can depend on. I want to do more than just art, so why can't everyone just get along? But it'll never be like that. Throughout human history, there's been war war and more war. Humans are jerks and fighters, so why try to change that? This whole arguement makes me sad. We could just have a friendly disscussion but noooooooo humans have to be humans. A perfect exscuse, if you ask me.

Last edited by mintfang (2013-02-14 22:22:09)

http://i33.tinypic.com/25p1rw6.png

#97 2013-02-14 22:44:02

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

This topic seems to have run it's course so I'm going to close it.  Every now and then we go through this discussion - and it's probably a good thing as it helps us review some of the core principles of the site.  Please excuse me as I quote myself to save some typing  smile

Paddle2See wrote:

Scratch is for letting people express their creativity on the computer with all kinds of projects:  Art projects, stories, coloring contests, simulations, math projects, games, pet pictures, etc.  Scratch is a big place and hosts a large variety of different interests.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

Board footer