This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2009-05-24 13:06:11

teacher803
Scratcher

scratch summer day camp

I am teaching a Scratch summer day camp for late elementary and middle school special education students.  The groups will meet 2 times per week for an hour each time.  The summer camp will last 4 weeks.  I am looking for ideas for easy projects I can have them do, that will teach them simple programing skills.

#2 2009-05-24 13:06:53

coolperson
Scratcher

Re: scratch summer day camp

remixes

Coolperson- 2012 National Vex Robotics Finalist!
http://www.scratch.mit.edu/ext/youtube/?v=sn7p84DQFyk

#3 2009-05-24 13:17:12

DawnLight
Scratcher

coolperson wrote:

remixes

This has nothing to do with the topic and don't spam.

#4 2009-05-24 14:57:53

archmage
Scratcher

Try remaking the sample projects that come with scratch.

But first teach them how to use the blocks.

Hi, I am Archmage coder extraordinaire. I do Scratch,pascal,java,php,html, AS2 and AS3. Leave me a message if you want coding advice. Also check out my personal website, lots of good stuff about web development, Flash, and Scratch (v1 and v2) !

#5 2009-05-24 14:59:33

keroro645
Scratcher

DawnLight wrote:

coolperson wrote:

remixes

This has nothing to do with the topic and don't spam.

He means they could remix them, I think.

#6 2009-05-24 15:52:24

MissFlavia
Scratcher

Try this easy activity
I did it with my second grade students. Start with one sprite and add as many fish as you want.
http://missflaviastudents.blogspot.com/

#7 2009-05-24 16:53:00

coolperson
Scratcher

it looked like somebody was confused about what i was saying. get some games that could be inproved or tinkered with, and have them do that.

Coolperson- 2012 National Vex Robotics Finalist!
http://www.scratch.mit.edu/ext/youtube/?v=sn7p84DQFyk

#8 2009-05-24 22:52:28

rivendell
Scratcher

I've taught a week-long (5-6 hours a day) Scratch class the past few summers, as well as a program like yours (8 hours, twice a week for 4 weeks) this past winter.  Here is the outline I follow:

* Introduce the Scratch interface parts (blocks, scripts/costumes area, drawing area, sprite area) as well as the coordinate system.  Have them do simple "move a sprite around the screen" program, using keys and/or mouse.

* Have them go through the simple Scratch cards (changing effects, changing costumes, moving etc.).  One card per kid, give them 15min to do the code, then rotate cards.

* Introduce various programming concepts and have them do a very simple program that utilizes this concept.  Examples:

- Loops:  make the cat count from 1 to 10.
  - Pen & Stamps:  make the cat draw a line and/or stamp lots of cats
  - Broadcast messages:  click on one sprite, and another sprite says something

This gives them the basic usage of various Scratch features/programming concepts, in a quick way.  Intro one, maybe two concepts each class.  Then leave them at least 20-30 minutes to work on their own project that will be complete at the end of the session.  Encourage them to look at/download other projects from the web site to see how somebody else did something they think is cool (and possibly "remix" it).

#9 2009-05-25 00:10:28

DawnLight
Scratcher

rivendell wrote:

I've taught a week-long (5-6 hours a day) Scratch class the past few summers, as well as a program like yours (8 hours, twice a week for 4 weeks) this past winter.  Here is the outline I follow:

* Introduce the Scratch interface parts (blocks, scripts/costumes area, drawing area, sprite area) as well as the coordinate system.  Have them do simple "move a sprite around the screen" program, using keys and/or mouse.

* Have them go through the simple Scratch cards (changing effects, changing costumes, moving etc.).  One card per kid, give them 15min to do the code, then rotate cards.

* Introduce various programming concepts and have them do a very simple program that utilizes this concept.  Examples:

- Loops:  make the cat count from 1 to 10.
  - Pen & Stamps:  make the cat draw a line and/or stamp lots of cats
  - Broadcast messages:  click on one sprite, and another sprite says something

This gives them the basic usage of various Scratch features/programming concepts, in a quick way.  Intro one, maybe two concepts each class.  Then leave them at least 20-30 minutes to work on their own project that will be complete at the end of the session.  Encourage them to look at/download other projects from the web site to see how somebody else did something they think is cool (and possibly "remix" it).

Sounds like a hard base for learning the basics of scratch. I like the teaching plan! big_smile

#10 2009-05-28 17:07:11

teacher803
Scratcher

Thanks for the good ideas.  Now I have some good ideas to work with.

Board footer