This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#26 2012-02-15 15:36:48

Liru
Scratcher

Re: Forum post counts now shown in levels

werdna123 wrote:

Liru wrote:

werdna123 wrote:

I don't see spam, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't tighten defence against it. And the point of this was to make less point in Spamming to get high post counts. I think it should do that.

They'll get caught before they reach 100 anyway, and under 100 their post count is shown as numbers anyway, pretty pointless update.

Uhh, they're not always going to have 0 posts when they start spamming. Somone might have say 980 posts, and wants 1k by the end of the day so will spam to 1000.

Seeming you can just click on profile it's pretty easy to spam to reach personal goals.

#27 2012-02-15 15:37:44

werdna123
Scratcher

Liru wrote:

werdna123 wrote:

Liru wrote:

They'll get caught before they reach 100 anyway, and under 100 their post count is shown as numbers anyway, pretty pointless update.

Uhh, they're not always going to have 0 posts when they start spamming. Somone might have say 980 posts, and wants 1k by the end of the day so will spam to 1000.

Seeming you can just click on profile it's pretty easy to spam to reach personal goals.

But people usually spam to show off their high post counts, not to please themselves.

#28 2012-02-15 15:39:05

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

Liru wrote:

werdna123 wrote:

Liru wrote:

Yeah, that might go away too.  Let's see what the impact of this most recent change is first.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#29 2012-02-15 15:40:03

Liru
Scratcher

werdna123 wrote:

Liru wrote:

werdna123 wrote:

But people usually spam to show off their high post counts, not to please themselves.

Still gives bragging rights, and I feel sorry for Veggie, now he looks like most Scratchers that have been around a bit.

#30 2012-02-15 15:40:48

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

Liru wrote:

werdna123 wrote:

Liru wrote:

Still gives bragging rights, and I feel sorry for Veggie, now he looks like most Scratchers that have been around a bit.

Veggie actually suggested that we remove post count completely at one point.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#31 2012-02-15 15:41:05

TRocket
Scratcher

the main way i've seen users spam to get their post counts up is quoting(agreeing) with earlier posts since they don't have to work very hard to do it and people don't count it as spam...

Last edited by TRocket (2012-02-15 15:41:18)

http://i.imgur.com/1QqnHxQ.png

#32 2012-02-15 15:42:17

Liru
Scratcher

Paddle2See wrote:

Liru wrote:

werdna123 wrote:

But there's a big difference between removing it and capping it at a low number.

#33 2012-02-15 15:43:14

werdna123
Scratcher

Liru wrote:

werdna123 wrote:

Liru wrote:

But if we add a 10,000 then that's just a continuous goal which will take ages to get to, and people will end up spamming to get there.

Because of the Veggie Issue, they should add an "Experienced Scratcher" tag, which is given to people who seem really helpful and kind. They'd be chosen by the ST like becoming a Scratcher.

#34 2012-02-15 15:44:30

Liru
Scratcher

werdna123 wrote:

Liru wrote:

werdna123 wrote:

But if we add a 10,000 then that's just a continuous goal which will take ages to get to, and people will end up spamming to get there.

Because of the Veggie Issue, they should add an "Experienced Scratcher" tag, which is given to people who seem really helpful and kind. They'd be chosen by the ST like becoming a Scratcher.

Trust me, spamming to get to 10,000 isn't possible, that's over 8000 spam posts you need to make.

#35 2012-02-15 15:45:39

werdna123
Scratcher

Liru wrote:

werdna123 wrote:

Liru wrote:

Trust me, spamming to get to 10,000 isn't possible, that's over 8000 spam posts you need to make.

It wouldn't be spamming nonstop, it would just encourage people to make short, blunt replies without much detail (eg. +1 and quote agreeing) in attempt to speed the process up.

#36 2012-02-15 15:47:32

ssss
Scratcher

werdna123 wrote:

Liru wrote:

werdna123 wrote:

It wouldn't be spamming nonstop, it would just encourage people to make short, blunt replies without much detail (eg. +1 and quote agreeing) in attempt to speed the process up.

I don't use +1 to increase my post amount.  I use it to say:  I agree, but I don't have anything else to add.  Sorry.  hmm

Hey.  It's me SSSS, back from the dead!  smile

#37 2012-02-15 15:47:40

Liru
Scratcher

werdna123 wrote:

Liru wrote:

werdna123 wrote:

I've already noticed that a user I'm not going to name normally relies to random topics with a smiley face or something like "I've never played it", it's impossible to spam un-noticed.

#38 2012-02-15 15:52:39

werdna123
Scratcher

Liru wrote:

werdna123 wrote:

Liru wrote:

I've already noticed that a user I'm not going to name normally relies to random topics with a smiley face or something like "I've never played it", it's impossible to spam un-noticed.

???

#39 2012-02-15 16:02:45

bobbybee
Scratcher

Lightnin wrote:

TRocket wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

Hmmm... Well, this raises an important question - is this a good criteria for becoming famous? It seems like making awesome projects would be a better one.  wink

well, some people like me are very active at helping scratchers on the forums but don't often post projects..

And that's a great thing! But I'm not sure if the post count really reflects being active and helpful very well...  Unfortunately, things like that are really hard to quantify, and represent. It'd be cool if we could show a *helpfulness* number, but I know of no good way to do that.

As far as a helpfulness number goes, I've seen that on some forums, people can like a post, which increases the helpfulness. Disliking a post decreases the helpfulness count. But with this system, if someone hated another Scratcher, they could dislike all of their posts so no one would reply to them. (even if they were helpful)

I support the Free Software Foundation. Protect our digital rights!

#40 2012-02-15 16:09:40

CheeseMunchy
Scratcher

I think it should show exact post count above 15000 or 20000 posts because at that point I think you wouldn't really care about your post count. (At least not enough to spam it everywhere.)

#41 2012-02-15 16:10:41

CheeseMunchy
Scratcher

Paddle2See wrote:

Liru wrote:

werdna123 wrote:

wow.  tongue

#42 2012-02-15 16:12:24

fungirl123
Scratcher

Eh
Well the change is okay I guess
It's not like I'm devastated or anything
But I liked seeing my post count to see how far I've come  hmm
It's also nice to have the post count for New Scratchers so they can see who to look up to/who's most experienced
I mean I know you said that you can show how helpful you are by your projects but...you know...it's not like everybody looks at everybody's projects.
Unless you follow through with that Experienced Scratcher status thing

http://www.thebrag.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/GroupLove_General1_IMG_9057.jpg

#43 2012-02-15 16:18:25

Lightnin
Scratch Team

bobbybee wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

TRocket wrote:

well, some people like me are very active at helping scratchers on the forums but don't often post projects..

And that's a great thing! But I'm not sure if the post count really reflects being active and helpful very well...  Unfortunately, things like that are really hard to quantify, and represent. It'd be cool if we could show a *helpfulness* number, but I know of no good way to do that.

As far as a helpfulness number goes, I've seen that on some forums, people can like a post, which increases the helpfulness. Disliking a post decreases the helpfulness count. But with this system, if someone hated another Scratcher, they could dislike all of their posts so no one would reply to them. (even if they were helpful)

Yeah, that's the problem with systems like that - they're pretty gameable, up or down.

We may always have to rely on our experience with people over time to decide how helpful / friendly they are, at least on the webs.

Help Scratchers make the leap to 2.0!
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6844/transitionteam.jpg

#44 2012-02-15 16:20:02

majormax
Scratcher

Personally, I would rather just have post counts removed. (better than this)

#45 2012-02-15 16:21:37

werdna123
Scratcher

Lightnin wrote:

We may always have to rely on our experience with people over time to decide how helpful / friendly they are, at least on the webs.

That's where my idea (well, a lot of people's idea) is useful. A Helpful/Experienced/Trusted Scratcher rank which is given by the Scratch Team or mods to people who help the most.

#46 2012-02-15 16:22:49

fruitmanninja
Scratcher

How do we check our post count?

#47 2012-02-15 16:25:35

werdna123
Scratcher

fruitmanninja wrote:

How do we check our post count?

At the top of the page, below "Scratch Forums" there is a Profile option. Click it, and it'll show your post count. But this will hopefully be removed.

Last edited by werdna123 (2012-02-15 16:25:53)

#48 2012-02-15 16:26:06

CheeseMunchy
Scratcher

I like it.

#49 2012-02-15 16:33:49

rabbit1131
Scratcher

The way I see it, this is security through censorship.
You don't want spamming, so just remove the post counts etc. I understand the spamming part, and have seen many cases of it. But I think that this is the wrong path. Instead of making the innocent and guilty suffer, maybe you could make a minimum character limit. So if it's less than say, 15-20 characters, it can't be posted. It will stop spam, because if you have nothing to say, it will be pretty hard to come up with something to say. I think that recently there have been lots of new things that destroy the innocent and guilty, instead of just the guilty.

The Intergalactic Adventures of Revesilia! I hope you will partake in this gigantic undertaking, to build the sequel to the hit map The Adventures of Revesilia! The Intergalactic Adventures of Revesilia Map Builders Application thread! http://internetometer.com/image/35004.png

#50 2012-02-15 16:34:53

Lucario621
Community Moderator

Cool change! It's been mentioned many times that post count is good for giving a sense of a user's experience but bad since it encourages spam, so this seems to be a beneficial change to the forums.

It's important to note that "spam" doesn't just mean commercial spammers, but posts that don't benefit the discussion or encourage chatting and arguing.

My only wonder is why you chose numbers like ">1000", and not using some sort of named rank system instead. I saw Lightnin make a thread suggesting names, so I'm just wondering if that wasn't successful, or if it was decided that wouldn't work?

Lightnin wrote:

It'd be cool if we could show a *helpfulness* number, but I know of no good way to do that.

Haha yeah. Many people have suggested things like karma numbers where you can thumb up/upvote or thumb down/downvote people's posts, but there's plenty of problems with that. We want to way to highlight the users who give good feedback, but not necessarily shun down the users who post spam or are new.

http://i.imgur.com/WBkM2QQ.png

Board footer