This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2009-03-11 20:40:40

Big_Adam
Scratcher

Greeting to thoses of the cosmic eather.

Greeting,

My name is Adam. I currently have no understanding of scratch, what it does, how it does it or even a why. This must lead you (the loverly forum dweller) to wonder why I am posting a welcome message here.

Well, I have a college course, which very soon I have a scratch project in. I have no idea how scratch works and I just had one hell of a time attempting PHP and trying to get that to work so I hold little hope for scratch as I'd not even heard of it before ... a week last Monday.

So, rather than just bursting on the forums going "Please help a poor idiot in need" I though it best to introduce myself before the coming madness that is my attempt to try an sort of coding what so ever in this or any other plain of reality.

With that said.

Hello.

#2 2009-03-11 22:34:53

Spine
Scratcher

Re: Greeting to thoses of the cosmic eather.

Big_Adam wrote:

Greeting,

My name is Adam. I currently have no understanding of scratch, what it does, how it does it or even a why. This must lead you (the loverly forum dweller) to wonder why I am posting a welcome message here.

Well, I have a college course, which very soon I have a scratch project in. I have no idea how scratch works and I just had one heck of a time attempting PHP and trying to get that to work so I hold little hope for scratch as I'd not even heard of it before ... a week last Monday.

So, rather than just bursting on the forums going "Please help a poor idiot in need" I thought it best to introduce myself before the coming madness that is my attempt to try an sort of coding what so ever in this or any other plain of reality.

With that said.

Hello.

Well, Scratch is a coding that is MUCH easier than Javascript, Java, PHP, and HTML, It's simple drag and drop commands, such as

<when[ right arrow ]key pressed>

It's coded in smalltalk, and squeak (Which I have absolutely no knowledge of.)
It's for kids, so most people get the hang of it, you might change your mind about having no hope, because it is still, as I said, simple. You can make variables, movement, and other stuff along those lines. If this isn't what you meant, please correct me, I might have misunderstood the question, if that is so, reply to this post.
I hope this helps.

-Spine

#3 2009-03-11 22:49:44

archmage
Scratcher

Re: Greeting to thoses of the cosmic eather.

Scratch is very simple you ( the loverly college student)  will probably have absolutely no problem with it. Its different from the PHP language because scratch is used to make interactive graphical programs while PHP is used to make dynamic websites.
Scratch can be a lot of fun because you can create cool interactive programs without having any programming experience. However Scratch is not very powerful or practical for use in a professional environment so for you its probably just a warm up for what is to come.

With that said, hello and welcome to the forums  smile

Last edited by archmage (2009-03-11 22:51:19)

Hi, I am Archmage coder extraordinaire. I do Scratch,pascal,java,php,html, AS2 and AS3. Leave me a message if you want coding advice. Also check out my personal website, lots of good stuff about web development, Flash, and Scratch (v1 and v2) !

Board footer