This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#3826 2011-09-21 18:59:45

yoshi-fan
Scratcher

Re: Become a Curator on the Scratch Homepage

I am interested in becoming a curator. This is actually my forth post about it. Sorry if I am posting kind of frequently, but I am impatient to be honest.  smile  Anyway, you can tell me if I am posting too much.

What I like about Scratch is that it is like a miniature Earth. Each user is a citizen. People make new friends and share ideas. They even work together to make projects. Scratch also has a president. The curator. They have power. Of course, if you are running for president, you need to be pretty good. Posts are like speeches. I have never made a speech before but that doesn't stop me.

I would LOVE to be president. Who wouldn't? Well, lot's of people. A president requires A LOT of responsibility. However, a curator only requires a little amount. So it pretty much takes all the benefits of presidency, and puts it in curator. That's what I love about it.

As a regular scratcher, I know I do not have as great of a chance as some people, because a lot of people don't know me, and I honestly haven't been helping out the site like some other people have been. I am an average scratcher. I make projects, I comment, and other stuff like that. That doesn't bug me. Because as long as I keep trying I will be curator some day, hopefully.  wink

Being a rather un-noticed Scratcher, I realize that view counts are not balanced. One project will have over 100 views the first minute it gets put online and another project will have only 2 views no matter what you do. I don't mind when I only get about 10 views, but when I can't get to 3 views, it does annoy me. What is weird is that most of my simple projects with get over 15 views, but my really big projects don't get near 5 views. But that is most likely a matter of bread falling on the wrong side.

People will often spam other projects to get more views. But I don't really see how it would be so bad when people say things like this...

Great project! How about a high score variable to keep track, and maybe make the guy bounce off of the wall, overall it was awesome. And by the way, I would really appreciate it if you check out this project. (link to project) Thanks.  wink

Now obviously, he's being helpful and trying to get more views. However, what I don't like seeing on my projects is this...

(link to project)

Seriously?  neutral

I guess I shouldn't be real mad at them because they are only trying to get more views.

Although I do not like this, it’s still better in my opinion.

cool check out my projects

Projects to Curate:

Collab Projects

Adventure 

Creative Games

Point-And-Click RPG

(All of this needs to be nonviolent of course)

This relates a lot to what types of games I like. The most creative games are often the most fun. To recap, I like games.  smile

My Scratch Experience and History:

I have been on Scratch since January 1st, 2008. Quit a while, in my opinion. I guessed I've been on Scratch about 3 years, until a friend of mine figured out you could check the exact date by checking the forums. It was surprising I joined on New Years Day and I didn't even remember.  hmm

My first project I made about three months later. It was very odd, but in my opinion it was good for a start. I remember my first few projects so I try to help other new scratchers out sometimes.

Some bad things I see:

I've seen at least two projects so far with people saying they quit Scratch. Luckily I persuaded them not to before they officially decided never to go on it again.

Another thing I hate, cyber-bullying. Not only that, but the feedback too. It's so encouraging and it gives the bully attention when that is what he wants.

And finally, hacking. Although I don't understand the amount of time they have, they should use that time not constantly guessing some one's password. It’s not only that, but (and no offense who I might be offending) people's stupidity. If you are reading this, and your username is the same as your password, don't feel bad. Just change it right now.  wink

Also:

What I don't get is why don't people flag or ignore instead of quitting Scratch because of one rather mean comment?

More of my Scratch history:

As I was saying, I didn't quit, I got better and better very slowly. A lot of people quit because they can't do the crazy stuff some others can do. I was one of the lucky ones who started off simple, and gradually became more complex. I am still getting better, though. You can always improve. Always!!!

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program!!!

This may seem off topic but it's NOT!!! (Sorry for the harsh tone.)

People often tend to abuse the comment board. They use it to chat. Some people say stuff like "EPIC!!!" which is good, but people really want criticism. Not the bad kind, but the kind when they compliment your work and than say what can be improved. Those are my favorite kind of comments next to the ones that say, "Congratulations, yoshi-fan! You're next curator!" lol

Criticism helps people stay on Scratch, and then get better and learn a lot from it. If I were curator, I would search for people who need the most criticism. And I'm not saying that as in the people with projects that need to be improved the most, but that people that would really enjoy criticism and would follow the advice for their next project.

What being curated can lead to:

Being curated seems like just a minor thing in your life, but it could actually mean a lot. Please enjoy these conveniently numbered steps that this little thing can lead to.

1. You are curated.

2. You get good advice.

3. People tell you how you can do more things.

4. You are educated by this.

5. You get an A+ on your next math test.

6. This leads to strait As on your report card.

7. You get a good college.

8. You get a good job.

9. You become a multi-billionaire.

10. You are happy.

Now I am not sure if this is always sure to happen, but this is just a main idea of what could happen (besides maybe step 9)

1. You quit Scratch.

2. You are sad.  sad

Me as Curator:

I have the whole curator job planned out.

1. My three most recent favorites include a really good project made from my brother, a friend of mine, and an online Scratch friend to make them happy, like this smiley face.  smile

2. After they get a decent amount of views, I will move on to other projects. Projects of all sorts. Projects like the ones above that I mentioned earlier. All projects, and I will curate projects will less views as a higher priority.

3. I will try to get as many projects curated as I can without rushing any so they can all get a good amount of views.

4. My two weeks are over.

And, sorry but I won’t mention any projects I would like to curate because that might change some people’s opinions for me as curator.  sad

I will mention this…

I will make a project for people who want to be curated. I will check the project out, and if it looks good, I will curate it! This is partly so I have more ideas of what to curate, but also so people will not spam me asking to be curated.

Rules:

I will only accept one project from each person. You can request more but unless they are from different users, I will only pick one.

It may not contain any violence or other things children under 7 cannot view.

It may not be remixed unless it is a collab.

I will accept games of all sorts. Any other category I will be strict on because it does not show as much creativity and effort.

Once again, I will never curate more than one project from someone. I will also try not to curate a project that has already been curated, which is actually easier than it sounds because of the view count.

Not everyone can be front paged. Therefore, it would be more convenient if more people can see what fame is like.  smile

A few questions about being curated:

How will I be notified? A message?

Will I notice anything besides the notification and the “projects selected by yoshi-fan” text?

How will I know when my curating time is over?

Other Things:

I get most of my game ideas from the games I like. I am inspired. Inspiration I believe is very good, but I like to use some imagination with my games to. If you take a sprinkle of inspiration and a touch of imagination and mix those together, you get a perfect game! After you bake it, ask your friend how the cake can be improved. He thought it was so good, that it could be a top seller. If only he could share it with the world.

And also…

I was thinking of being a moderator too, but I’m too young. I thought twice anyway and decided I would rather be curator.

Recap:

I would like to be curated which is kind of obvious.

I would curate projects of all sorts, but mostly games. I want the less popular ones to be on the front page a little longer.

I will try to be responsible and treat this as a job.

I have the whole thing planned out.

I am confused about what happens when I am curator.

Overall:

I want to be curator more than anything else in the world! I’d rather be curator than president! So with that, PLEASE consider giving me the job.  smile

P.S. If I was president, I wonder If I could make myself curator, even though I don’t think I would be nominated if that was the reason I wanted to be president.

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t381/Goopggg/AllAboutScratchLogo.png

#3827 2011-09-21 20:52:21

kayybee
Scratcher

yoshi-fan wrote:

really good project made from my brother, a friend of mine, and an online Scratch friend

I suggest you not curate anything of your friends, as it seems like you're being biased...

It's an excellent speech but I suggest you not double space it as it's a pain to scroll, even with only two posts on this page.

#3828 2011-09-22 09:51:05

MiaFan2010
Scratcher

I'd like to be a curator. I've picked the Speakonia stuff, Nyan Cat Stuff, Other Stuff that I like to keep and Operating systems. The reason is that I chose these projects because the Speakonia text to speech episodes are cool and The Nyan Cat stuff are also cool too!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/69693487/miafan2010%20new%20signature.jpg
http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/3798/mf2b.png

#3829 2011-09-22 10:43:39

mattb777
Scratcher

MiaFan2010 wrote:

I'd like to be a curator. I've picked the Speakonia stuff, Nyan Cat Stuff, Other Stuff that I like to keep and Operating systems. The reason is that I chose these projects because the Speakonia text to speech episodes are cool and The Nyan Cat stuff are also cool too!

I think many users can find nyan cat annoying.

I'm back  big_smile

#3830 2011-09-22 19:15:08

KrIsMa
Scratcher

Can I please be a curiator?
That would be lovely!
Thank you!

http://blocks.scratchr.org/API.php?user=KrIsMa&action=onlineStatus&online=http://i49.tinypic.com/2pzic0m.png&offline=http://i49.tinypic.com/r7p10n.png
The Scratch Team (and fellow scratchers!) is/are so nice!!!

#3831 2011-09-23 11:07:14

optimus1000
Scratcher

i think i may want to. i do give to the community but not on here i host a MC(MInecraft) server and me and another scratch member are acctully in the proccess of making a custom map for the community to play and give us feedback so we can make better ones in the future

optimus1000 :-D

#3832 2011-09-24 01:45:09

umarimtiaz3
New Scratcher

ahaan.....really

#3833 2011-09-24 19:32:47

TheGameMakers
Scratcher

can I be a curator? I would put the highest quality, most fun games on the front page!

I am currently http://blocks.scratchr.org/API.php?action=onlineStatus&user=TheGameMakers&type=text

#3834 2011-09-25 19:15:16

Yoshi789
Scratcher

mattb777 wrote:

MiaFan2010 wrote:

How is Nyan Cat Annoying?

#3835 2011-09-25 19:16:32

kayybee
Scratcher

Yoshi789 wrote:

mattb777 wrote:

MiaFan2010 wrote:

How is Nyan Cat Annoying?

There are many people who don't like it.

Just like how I love math and many people hate it.

To those whose speeches can be read in a split second...

This is a good guide to read to increase your chances from "me wanna b curtaor!" to "*insert long and meaningful speech here*". You'll have a greater chance of becoming curator and you'll be able to know more about them.

Last edited by kayybee (2011-09-25 19:18:42)

#3836 2011-09-26 09:09:26

wolves4ever10
Scratcher

i would LOVE to be on the front page, i have never been front paged. you will make my day, i really want to be a curator.  smile  Please, please let me be a curator.

#3837 2011-09-26 09:21:36

JJROCKER
Scratcher

wolves4ever10 wrote:

i would LOVE to be on the front page, i have never been front paged. you will make my day, i really want to be a curator.  smile  Please, please let me be a curator.

You should talk more about what you would curate.

http://www.blocks.scratchr.org/API.php?action=random&return=image&link1=http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/3491/signature1y.jpg&link2=http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/5272/signature1sx.jpg&link3=http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/8514/signature1et.jpg&link4=http://i.imgur.com/POEpQyZ.png&link5=http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/4640/jjrockerfinal.jpg

#3838 2011-09-26 11:12:31

wolves4ever10
Scratcher

what i would curate is like: games that they  put a lot of effort into the project.  smile

#3839 2011-09-26 11:26:25

flamekyle
Scratcher

TheGameMakers wrote:

can I be a curator? I would put the highest quality, most fun games on the front page!

Need to be a Scratcher!

http://prodegebanners.sitegrip.com/images/swagbucks-173x63Alt5.jpg

#3840 2011-09-26 12:29:41

undefeatedgames
Scratcher

Hi! My name is undefeatedgames and I would like to be curator. There are so many projects that go unnoticed. Most Scratchers focus their attention on users such as thesuperguidegames, SpriteMaster, and jonzo. This leaves many projects to be viewed. Sometimes, those not-so-famous projects are a lot better.

What I like about Scratch is that it encourages creation. You can post your artwork, music, animations, and games online. There's no other site that allows you to do that, unless of course you make your own.

So what projects are interesting? It depends. I like games that have action, excellent graphics and programming, and are challenging (but not too challenging). For example, The Maze of Fungi Demo Version by sausagefanclub definitely fits in that category. Animations are excellent when they include mouths that sync well with the voices, like jonzo's The Taco Incident and SpriteMaster's newest StickMania episode. Tutorials and project ideas are also excellent projects to be curated, as they provide beginners with help that they can use in the long run. I felt that the recent design studio, "Let Me Show You Around", helps a lot of Scratchers to use the software and website.

So what projects would I curate? I would curate projects that deserve to be known to the Scratch community, but are overshadowed by other projects that may not be as good. I would try and choose three games, three animations & art, three projects with excellent and complicated programming, and a surprise project from one of my cousins. These projects would have less than 100 views.

Thank you for looking at this application. Please consider me for curator.

- undefeatedgames

Please call me udg or bearsfan, not undefeated.
Scratch and Misc.! Click here for Misc.'s Successorhttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-jkhes3yzmQk/T7G_BnxT9xI/AAAAAAAABYI/xhoN1Jk2M08/s513/sigp1.gif

#3841 2011-09-26 12:55:36

epninja
Scratcher

Excuse me Scratch company, why does it say 'sorry you have posted a very similar comment recently when I try to post a comment on something?

#3842 2011-09-26 13:15:54

undefeatedgames
Scratcher

epninja wrote:

Excuse me Scratch company, why does it say 'sorry you have posted a very similar comment recently when I try to post a comment on something?

Because you posted a comment similar to that recently. It especially does that when you are adding a link to a project in a comment.

Also, don't go off topic. If you have a question, try 'All About Scratch'. This isn't the right place to post

Please call me udg or bearsfan, not undefeated.
Scratch and Misc.! Click here for Misc.'s Successorhttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-jkhes3yzmQk/T7G_BnxT9xI/AAAAAAAABYI/xhoN1Jk2M08/s513/sigp1.gif

#3843 2011-09-26 13:34:16

jenielbz
Scratcher

HI! I am jenielbz and I'd love to be curator. Projects don't get seen, and that's life. We can try to help though, all of us!!!!! You don't have to be a curator to make a difference. Just take a break from that famous scratcher's game, and go look at a new game!!! You might even find a better game than that cool game that everyone's talking about!

What I like about scratch is it is very good about what's appropriate for kids and what's not. It cares about how people feel, and it tries it's best to be a good, strong community.

I want people to see other people's projects that maybe no one's ever seen before (cause I know how it feels to never be seen, and it's not the funnest). Check out your friends games that no one commented on!!! Scratch needs help, they can't do it alone!!

What projects would I feature? To be honest, a bit of pokemon stuff, some fantasy, and odds and ends here and there. It would be very likely for me to feature something that's a minute old. I will try my best to feature that never seen game. I can't really promise, but, like I said, I'll try.

Thx for checking out!!! Hope I (and you) can make a difference in scratch!
                                                                                         -jenielbz

Pokemon rules!!!! Meh iz doin' an coloring contest:http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/jenielbz/2046626

#3844 2011-09-26 20:04:28

alldaykade28471
Scratcher

Yes, I want to be a Curator. Because I favorite projects with not that many views, but the project is REALLY awesome! So that's why I think I should be a Curator.

#3845 2011-09-26 20:13:17

kayybee
Scratcher

#3846 2011-09-27 17:05:25

moo_says_cow
Scratcher

I would like to be a curator. I do really like projects that are well put together and aren't messy, and are also fun to play. Projects that use what seems to be the minimum amount of scripts but work also appeal to me. I have a question, though- how do you know if you're a curator, and if you do get to be a curator, how do you curate projects? Do you publish them in a gallery?  smile  thanks

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."
Dr. Seuss

#3847 2011-09-27 19:35:10

kayybee
Scratcher

By the way, that's not 1 question, that's 3  tongue

You will receive an email or comment asking if you want to be curator, and you curate projects by putting them as your favorites.

#3848 2011-09-28 17:58:11

pokechued
Scratcher

Can I be a curator???  PLEASE!!!  big_smile

http://mag.racked.eu/cimage/6959yxb/Keep+Scratchin%27%21%21%21/Be+a+boss+at+scratch/mca.png
http://mag.racked.eu/mcimage/i57/CLICK/HERE/mca.png

#3849 2011-09-28 20:38:21

KrIsMa
Scratcher

Hello. Can I please be the curator?
I have never been the curator, and I want to be one badly.
It will make me happy  smile
Thanks!
KrIsMa

http://blocks.scratchr.org/API.php?user=KrIsMa&action=onlineStatus&online=http://i49.tinypic.com/2pzic0m.png&offline=http://i49.tinypic.com/r7p10n.png
The Scratch Team (and fellow scratchers!) is/are so nice!!!

#3850 2011-09-28 20:46:25

jslomba
Scratcher

pokechued wrote:

Can I be a curator???  PLEASE!!!  big_smile

KrlsMa wrote:

Hello. Can I please be the curator?
I have never been the curator, and I want to be one badly.
It will make me happy   
Thanks!
KrIsMa

Sorry, we are not accepting new Scratchers as curators. Just continue being active on Scratch and you'll be a Scratcher in no time.

Last edited by jslomba (2011-09-28 20:46:45)

the the the the the

Board footer