This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.
  • Index
  •  » Educators
  •  » Scratch Clubs: A proposal for a filtered version of the Scratch site

#26 2008-04-28 15:51:34

mrswanson
Scratcher

Re: Scratch Clubs: A proposal for a filtered version of the Scratch site

Andres:  Is there a way that a teacher could set it up so that a project or gallery posted by a "trusted friend" - like a teacher from another classroom or school - would be automatically available to any of our own students?

Here is why I ask - I introduced 60 teachers from Palm Beach County to Scratch this weekend, with hopes that next year they will use it with their students.  With such a large number of students using it in my firewall happy / lawsuit fearing school district, we will need to be in the "protected" site.  But I still want my students to be able to work with and share with many other students.  If I could list teachers who I "trust" and make projects that they have checked automatically available to my students, they would get more of the flavor of the full Scratch site.

BTW - if you want to see the "storytelling" projects that I have asked the teachers I'm working with as they post them over the next 6 weeks or so, check out my Spring 08 TA Projects gallery: http://scratch.mit.edu/galleries/view/16996

Thanks for all you folks do!

Kris

#27 2008-04-28 16:55:23

Mayhem
Scratcher

Part of the problem is that we may both be teachers, but there is only our word for it  wink

Web-spinning Spider:  http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Mayhem/18456
3D Dungeon Adventure:  http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Mayhem/23570
Starfighter X: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Mayhem/21825
Wandering Knight: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Mayhem/28484

#28 2008-04-29 06:27:31

mrswanson
Scratcher

Mayhem:  True, but if I don't know you personally, I can at least look at your "history" on the Scratch site, and the projects published by you (and your students) and decide if I would be comfortable opening my students to your stuff.  Just like I would in the "atoms" world.

#29 2008-07-24 17:33:40

Asger
Scratcher

karenb wrote:

We would like your feedback:
1) Would a reviewed-content Scratch website make you (or the young people you work with) more willing to explore Scratch projects online? Why or why not?

I think so. I'm from Denmark and with a club I could make sure that the kids who don't know/ are struggling with English would be sure to get a review they would understand. Furthermore they would have their own little area where they would find projects that they could more easily analyse.

karenb wrote:

(2) Would you be interested in contributing to the proposed Scratch Club website by becoming a Scratch Club Leader? Why or why not?

Sure, I think that would be a way of selling Scratch to my fellow teachers in Denmark.

karenb wrote:

(3) Would you be willing to review the projects and comments created by the members of your Scratch Club before they were posted? Why or why not?

Yes I would, but, as stated by someone else, I would like to share the responsibility with others.

Last edited by Asger (2008-07-24 17:33:58)

#30 2008-07-26 07:09:10

vgold
Scratcher

1) Would a reviewed-content Scratch website make you (or the young people you work with) more willing to explore Scratch projects online?

Yes, although I work a lot with asperger kids who are known for their social awkwardness they are great participants in online communities. Just like all other kids they love to see their work appreciated.

(2) Would you be interested in contributing to the proposed Scratch Club website by becoming a Scratch Club Leader?

Yes. The kids do not have email addresses. I am not allowed to help students attain email addresses so my only option is to post it on my own Web site www.vickigold.com. This they love, but is limited. The ability to post to a real collaborative but controlled community, keeping the school happy, would be a perfect solution.

(3) Would you be willing to review the projects and comments created by the members of your Scratch Club before they were posted?

Absolutely!

#31 2008-08-02 00:45:14

CONNERKID
Scratcher

adriangl wrote:

(1) It is better for young users. They can see better scratch projects(no bad things) and get to know scratch better.
(2) I would like a club with a club leader so if there is something we don't get, we could ask someone in the club.
(3) I would like to see projects before they are posted to make sure they are okay for young users.

i think that is a good idea to leave scratch as 1 whole but i like forit to be safer i thnik it would be ok if u could create your profile as privite as in u couldn't let anyone on yours but someon u and other person approve and no one over a certain age could not talk to except your scratch adminastrait ours

http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s35/smilies-21212.png
SCRATCH IS DYING PLEASE CLICK http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/CONNERKID/231478

#32 2008-08-19 15:55:11

teachcomputers
Scratcher

I think this is a great idea.

Last edited by teachcomputers (2008-08-19 17:04:03)

#33 2008-09-18 16:06:24

DrSuper
Scratcher

Has there been a decision on the clubs yet? I sent in the following  on 8/30 and never got a response?
Dear Scratch coordinator for scratch-clubs,
I would like to start a club for developing Math and Science activities in particular for Elementary and Middle Grades. How should I go about it? Is there such a Forum already. I have seen a thread in the forum but I hope to organize  a group consisting of innovative math and science people with the best of the game makers to develop games and activities with substantial content that will knock the socks off the kids. Then to have the group advertise it in NCTM and other science conferences to get the teachers to use these in the class room. Also one would hope that these will become part of the kernel of OLTP.
Please advise.

#34 2008-09-19 09:10:05

karenb
Scratch Team

DrSuper wrote:

Has there been a decision on the clubs yet?

After the Scratch conference, we realized that different people have different expectations for Scratch Clubs. Some people want a filtered site; others (like you) are interested in forming communities of interest. These differences in expectation have encouraged us to reconsider our Scratch Clubs plans. As we take some time to rethink Scratch Clubs, you could use the Scratch Educators forum and galleries to start your club.

I hope that helps,
Karen

#35 2008-12-29 16:06:29

PebblesRox
Scratcher

Jens wrote:

I agree with Kevin in that I would really like *this* site to be the one fit for *all*. I don't really follow some of the stern ways propagated mostly by British teachers, and I fail to understand some of the "bad language" concerns brought forth by Americans. However, if the powers that be *demand* more dominant censorship in order to let children come on-line at all, let's amend the Terms of Use for *this* site, and make this site even nicer and more politically correct!

I think one benefit of the clubs idea is that it allows each school or teacher to determine the appropriate level of what's acceptable.  Since everyone has a different idea of what is offensive, it is hard to come up with a general standard of niceness that will please every age group and every culture.  In some cases, it might be convienient to let each group choose individually.

#36 2009-01-03 16:33:48

jwl0
Scratcher

I have not used Scratch yet as I first learned about it at MIT's NEST last summer . As a teacher, I definitely would be in favor of reviewed student content before posting. I would consider being a Scratch  club leader for my school if I introduce it to my students.
Stu Sharack
5th grade teacher

CT

#37 2009-01-09 13:21:31

jensax
Scratcher

I would love to have a site where my students can upload and view their projects. I worry about their projects being altered since there is no lock on the projects.  I have posted a question about creating 'classroom' galleries for schools.  I know it would take up server space with the sheer number of people/schools using your site, however, I don't know of any other alternative.

I am quite willing to be a ScratchClub leader.

Cordially,
Wanda Kurtcu

#38 2009-01-14 20:24:04

Nautilux
Scratcher

Hello,

I am also interested in the idea of scratch clubs and do have some questions left. I should tell You, that we are building a community for children, where they are strongly protected. We would be interested to have the projects be accessible by the public only, if the club leader gives them free for the public. Unless they are not published, the projects should be visible for the club members only, after review of the club leader.

1. I remember that i saw somewhere, that it is possible to get the software which runs the scratch website to build up an own website. Is this till true an still part of the strategy?

2. If we build our own scratch website for our children and if we change the upload address behind the "publish" button (so we would create a derivate scratch version), can we still name the software SCRATCH, because the licence says something different?

Last edited by Nautilux (2009-01-14 20:24:57)

#39 2009-01-26 10:59:21

FWSchool
Scratcher

We would like your feedback:
I just noticed this thread and I was wondering where things stood for the Scratch Club Website idea?  I like both suggestions of having a site where the content is reviewed and monitored, and one that is a used to create communnities of interest.  I would definitely be interested in becoming a Scratch Club leader.  And I would also be willing to review projects and comments submitted by my students before they were posted (actually I would prefer that option).

I would really like to have my students work with other  students on collaborative projects and have them have the opportunity to recieve constructive feedback from others.

I am using Scratch with my 4th - 7th graders.
Thank you,
PBG

#40 2009-01-27 13:48:55

karenb
Scratch Team

Nautilux wrote:

1. I remember that i saw somewhere, that it is possible to get the software which runs the scratch website to build up an own website. Is this till true an still part of the strategy?

2. If we build our own scratch website for our children and if we change the upload address behind the "publish" button (so we would create a derivate scratch version), can we still name the software SCRATCH, because the licence says something different?

To get more information about ScratchR (the Scratch website software) and licensing, I'd recommend sending a message to the Scratch Team using the Contact Us form.

#41 2009-01-27 13:50:01

karenb
Scratch Team

We still haven't been able to identify a solution that accommodates the different needs and expectations for Scratch Clubs, as the idea was originally presented. We're still thinking about how to proceed - but I'm going to close this particular thread for now.

• Index
  •  » Educators
  •  » Scratch Clubs: A proposal for a filtered version of the Scratch site

Board footer