This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2009-01-09 22:58:33

Wiifan14
Scratcher

How do I create a new stage?

How do I create a second stage and what section it the icon to activate it in?

#2 2009-01-10 04:23:38

Buddy_ca111
Scratcher

Re: How do I create a new stage?

You can't create a second stage in scratch. All you get is one, sorry.

By reading this you agree to giving me your soul, money, passwords, projects, abiltys and your bases

#3 2009-01-10 15:37:03

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

Re: How do I create a new stage?

I think what Wiifan14 is looking for is how to create a game with "stages".  This is usually done using the Next Background block under Looks.  Create another background using the Paint Editor.  Then set up a script in the Stage scripts area that uses a When I Recieve block to trigger it.  Under the When I Recieve block, put the Next Background block.

Then, decide what is going to cause the next stage to happen...maybe when a sprite touches another sprite.  So, on one of the sprites, set up a "Forever If Touching Sprite" block (a combination of a "Forever If" block from Control and a Touching block from Sensing) and run it from a Green Flag hat block.

Inside the Forever If loop, place a "Broadcast Message" block.  Give it a message name that you like by choosing New from the drop down menu.  Go back to the Stage script area and set the When I Recieve block to work with the same message name.

So, what you have here, is a sensing loop that is continually looking for something to happen (the two sprites to touch) and when it does, it broadcasts a message.  The message is recieved by the Stage and it changes the background.  That is the bare bones of how a game with stages is setup...there is more that has to happen, like positioning your sprites or hiding ones that you don't want showing, but maybe it will get you started.  I highly recommend downloading some stage games from the website and looking at how they work.  Hope that helps a bit, sorry it's a bit complicated.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

Board footer