This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2011-08-02 18:26:02

Aidan
Scratcher

Aidan and gettysburg11 Collab Camp Thread

This is the official thread for Aidan and gettysburg11's Collab Camp project.

#2 2011-08-02 18:27:34

Aidan
Scratcher

Re: Aidan and gettysburg11 Collab Camp Thread

So getty, I was thinking maybe we could do a civil war story thing. I remember when we talked about collabing earlier you had a lot of civil war projects you wanted to do, so yeah. Any other ideas?

#3 2011-08-02 21:39:30

gettysburg11
Scratcher

That would work. I had an idea for a touching story about a dying comrade. No blood or anything, so it would be OK for everyone. Sound good?

Or something else, I could come up with that.  tongue

Last edited by gettysburg11 (2011-08-02 21:49:32)

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh184/mnacmilan/LOGO_ACMILAN-Splash.gif

#4 2011-08-02 21:55:40

Aidan
Scratcher

gettysburg11 wrote:

That would work. I had an idea for a touching story about a dying comrade. No blood or anything, so it would be OK for everyone. Sound good?

Or something else, I could come up with that.  tongue

Sure, sounds fine.

#5 2011-08-06 14:52:18

Aidan
Scratcher

Bump.

#6 2011-08-06 15:10:13

gettysburg11
Scratcher

Would you be able to draw some of the sprites for this?

#7 2011-08-06 16:46:03

Aidan
Scratcher

gettysburg11 wrote:

Would you be able to draw some of the sprites for this?

Sure, what sprites would we need?

Also, could you post a more full summary of the story?

#8 2011-08-08 18:43:50

Aidan
Scratcher

Bumpage

#9 2011-08-08 19:25:22

gettysburg11
Scratcher

Aidan wrote:

Bumpage

OK, here's the main details of the story. The main characters are either brothers or have known each other since a very young age. The regiment they are both in is going to be part of a major assault that will ultimately fail. (If the main characters are Union, it'll be the attack on Marye's Heights at the Battle of Fredericksburg, if Confederate, Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg.)

During the attack, Character A gets wounded. They tell Character B to go on, win the battle for them (sort of a "Win one for the Gipper" type thing; if you don't know what I'm talking about, Google it). The attack fails miserably. On the way back towards their original lines, Character B comes across Character A, who is close to death. There's some touching final words, and Character A dies in Character B's arms.

Sound OK?

#10 2011-08-09 16:40:41

Aidan
Scratcher

gettysburg11 wrote:

Aidan wrote:

Bumpage

OK, here's the main details of the story. The main characters are either brothers or have known each other since a very young age. The regiment they are both in is going to be part of a major assault that will ultimately fail. (If the main characters are Union, it'll be the attack on Marye's Heights at the Battle of Fredericksburg, if Confederate, Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg.)

During the attack, Character A gets wounded. They tell Character B to go on, win the battle for them (sort of a "Win one for the Gipper" type thing; if you don't know what I'm talking about, Google it). The attack fails miserably. On the way back towards their original lines, Character B comes across Character A, who is close to death. There's some touching final words, and Character A dies in Character B's arms.

Sound OK?

Sounds cool. Is it okay if I draw still scenes that sort of fade into each other instead of animating?

In regards to their attire, I think they should be Confederate soldiers. As you know more about the Battle of Gettysburg than I do, which regiment would they be in?

Should they be infantry or cavalry? If they are infantry, the wound should probably be a gunshot wound; if they are cavalry, maybe he fell off of his horse and was trampled?

The story sounds fine.

#11 2011-08-09 16:55:45

gettysburg11
Scratcher

Aidan wrote:

gettysburg11 wrote:

Aidan wrote:

Bumpage

Sound OK?

Sounds cool. Is it okay if I draw still scenes that sort of fade into each other instead of animating?

In regards to their attire, I think they should be Confederate soldiers. As you know more about the Battle of Gettysburg than I do, which regiment would they be in?

Should they be infantry or cavalry? If they are infantry, the wound should probably be a gunshot wound; if they are cavalry, maybe he fell off of his horse and was trampled?

The story sounds fine.

Pickett's Charge was an all-infantry assault, so they'll be foot soldiers. As far as regiments go, it doesn't matter too much, more that they're in Pickett's division. Armistead's brigade is about as specific as we have to get.

Oh, and as far as the scenes go, sure, that sounds great.  smile

Last edited by gettysburg11 (2011-08-09 17:27:49)

#12 2011-08-09 18:04:35

Aidan
Scratcher

gettysburg11 wrote:

Aidan wrote:

gettysburg11 wrote:

Sound OK?

The story sounds fine.

Pickett's Charge was an all-infantry assault, so they'll be foot soldiers. As far as regiments go, it doesn't matter too much, more that they're in Pickett's division. Armistead's brigade is about as specific as we have to get.

Alright. Is it okay if I use a photo for the background?

#13 2011-08-09 18:13:57

gettysburg11
Scratcher

Aidan wrote:

gettysburg11 wrote:

Aidan wrote:

The story sounds fine.

Sure.  smile

#14 2011-08-09 21:14:24

Aidan
Scratcher

gettysburg11 wrote:

Aidan wrote:

gettysburg11 wrote:

Sure.  smile

How's this one?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/db/Picketts_Charge_Field.jpg
(click for larger; it's a lot bigger than it looks on here)

Last edited by Aidan (2011-08-09 21:32:08)

#15 2011-08-09 21:28:07

Aidan
Scratcher

Also, maybe while I'm spriting, could you write a script?

And how are we going to make this interactive? I was thinking maybe we could have the character make choices, such as:

-at the beginning, either stay behind or go on with the soldiers.
-help or abandon comrade when he gets injured.
-maybe typing in your message to the dying soldier?

etc.

Last edited by Aidan (2011-08-09 21:31:05)

#16 2011-08-09 22:07:57

gettysburg11
Scratcher

As far as the picture goes, it'll work as long as we keep the car on the side covered.  tongue

I can also work on some of the scripting and figure out the right way to make it interactive tomorrow.

#17 2011-08-09 22:15:28

silvershine
Scratcher

gettysburg11 wrote:

Aidan wrote:

Bumpage

Sound OK?

Just make sure it isn't to gory! (Sounds amazing by the way)  smile

#18 2011-08-09 22:52:05

gettysburg11
Scratcher

silvershine wrote:

gettysburg11 wrote:

Aidan wrote:

Bumpage

Sound OK?

Just make sure it isn't to gory! (Sounds amazing by the way)  smile

We're going to make sure it'll be appropriate for all ages.  smile  Also, thanks!  big_smile

#19 2011-08-10 15:57:35

Aidan
Scratcher

gettysburg11 wrote:

As far as the picture goes, it'll work as long as we keep the car on the side covered.  tongue

I didn't even notice that before.  lol

Yeah, I'll crop it.  tongue

#20 2011-08-11 16:07:44

Aidan
Scratcher

I've been at IRL camp for all this week, so I haven't had much time at all to sprite. I will upload rough sketches of my drawings over the weekend, for you to add your programming to and submit as oour initial draft. I will then refine these over the remaining time, and then we can transplant them into the programming. Is this okay?

On an unrelated note, should we make an account for our collab (and maybe future ones as well)?

#21 2011-08-11 16:11:10

gettysburg11
Scratcher

Aidan wrote:

I've been at IRL camp for all this week, so I haven't had much time at all to sprite. I will upload rough sketches of my drawings over the weekend, for you to add your programming to and submit as oour initial draft. I will then refine these over the remaining time, and then we can transplant them into the programming. Is this okay?

On an unrelated note, should we make an account for our collab (and maybe future ones as well)?

Sounds good for the timeline. The collab account will work too. I'll have it up in a little bit.

How far would you like me to get in the programming for the draft?

#22 2011-08-12 18:00:35

Aidan
Scratcher

gettysburg11 wrote:

Aidan wrote:

Sounds good for the timeline. The collab account will work too. I'll have it up in a little bit.

How far would you like me to get in the programming for the draft?

I don't know. Just do as much as you can.  smile

#23 2011-08-13 00:34:00

Aidan
Scratcher

So far I've got the battle flag and the background done. Slow and steady wins the race, eh?

#24 2011-08-13 12:15:54

Aidan
Scratcher

Finishing up the line art for Pickett and Longstreet. How's the script coming?

#25 2011-08-14 20:47:39

Aidan
Scratcher

Do you have the account made? I'm done with the rough sketches for the art. I'll just upload it to my account for now. I added notes in the comments on every sprite, so be sure to check those out.

Last edited by Aidan (2011-08-14 20:48:05)

Board footer