This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#26 2011-07-25 12:00:51

luigiman64
Scratcher

Re: unfair front page

you should move this to the sugestions fourm and get some attion from the moderators or something

click on me IMA LUIGI IMA #1

#27 2011-07-25 16:22:41

gettysburg11
Scratcher

Luigiman_test wrote:

gettysburg11 wrote:

randomize the projects shown on the front page among the top 10 viewed, loved, etc. .

can't they just take random projects in general and put them on the front page

There was a row like that on the front page once, called "Surprise Projects". It was removed, however, probably because inappropriate content showed up. There never really was a reason given by the Scratch Team though...  hmm

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh184/mnacmilan/LOGO_ACMILAN-Splash.gif

#28 2011-07-26 09:25:59

luigiman64
Scratcher

well if you think about that shouldnt the scratch team have LOOKED at the projects before they put it on da front page

#29 2011-07-26 10:40:04

MyRedNeptune
Community Moderator

luigiman64 wrote:

you should move this to the sugestions fourm and get some attion from the moderators or something

Nice idea. :3

http://i52.tinypic.com/5es7t0.png I know what you're thinking! "Neptune! Get rid of those filthy advertisements and give us back the Zarathustra siggy, you horrible person!" Well, don't worry about it, the Zara siggy will be back soon, new and improved! ^^ Meanwhile, just do what the sig tells you to. >.>

#30 2011-07-26 13:03:31

Sidharth
Scratcher

To answer this question we must ask: Why did MIT make a front page for projects?

In my opinion, MIT made one because they wanted people to be inspired by projects that other people liked and remix or create their own project based on the one they saw. I really don't think they made the front page a competition whose winners would be displayed. Does it really matter so much that your project gets put where everyone can see it? Not to me, at all. You still had fun making it and learned from your mistakes. This is not a place like Youtube, where getting to the front page IS a competition (usually).

I know many, many brilliant Scratchers who have been frontpaged ten times less then they deserved. This is an opinion of mine that is not shared by many other people. For example, I love text adventures. Is Scratch good for making text adventures? Not at all. Is Scratch good for making platformers? Absolutely. So, which games turn out to be more appealing to new users? How many text adventures have you seen on the front page? Platformers?

In a few words: People whose desire of being featured on the front page is greater than their desire to have fun making projects and to learn are not the people this community was made for (is what I think).

http://www.danasoft.com/citysign.jpg

#31 2011-07-26 13:52:51

mulus_equum_amat
Scratcher

Luigiman_test wrote:

gettysburg11 wrote:

randomize the projects shown on the front page among the top 10 viewed, loved, etc. .

can't they just take random projects in general and put them on the front page

I think they used to do that, but if they ever did, they don't anymore.  Frankly, though, most unpopular projects probably aren't good enough to make the front page, anyway.  I've been using Scratch for three years, and I've still never made the front page.

Staudeey da feesh!    tongue

#32 2011-07-26 14:01:12

mulus_equum_amat
Scratcher

Sidharth wrote:

To answer this question we must ask: Why did MIT make a front page for projects?

In my opinion, MIT made one because they wanted people to be inspired by projects that other people liked and remix or create their own project based on the one they saw. I really don't think they made the front page a competition whose winners would be displayed. Does it really matter so much that your project gets put where everyone can see it? Not to me, at all. You still had fun making it and learned from your mistakes. This is not a place like Youtube, where getting to the front page IS a competition (usually).

I know many, many brilliant Scratchers who have been frontpaged ten times less then they deserved. This is an opinion of mine that is not shared by many other people. For example, I love text adventures. Is Scratch good for making text adventures? Not at all. Is Scratch good for making platformers? Absolutely. So, which games turn out to be more appealing to new users? How many text adventures have you seen on the front page? Platformers?

In a few words: People whose desire of being featured on the front page is greater than their desire to have fun making projects and to learn are not the people this community was made for (is what I think).

I think that's true, but it's also good if other people like your projects.  I mean, it doesn't bother me that my projects aren't heavily viewed, but sometimes I do wish people looked at my projects, just so I would know what people liked.  I personally enjoy making projects that other people will also enjoy, and it is really not any less fun to do so.  It kind of feels good to know you've created a popular project.  I don't think that's what Scratch is all about, but I believe it is a good thing, if nothing else.

When I first started using Scratch, there was always one user that completely dominated the front page.  Those that found themselves in this position included Cyclone103, SeanCanoodle, and bosox397.  It seemed to me that they enjoyed having people comment on their projects and give them feedback.  I think that getting views is encouraging.  However, I do think that people should not completely obsess over popularity, as I once did.  Now, I just kind of make projects because it's fun.  I think that is the real reason people create projects.

I don't know.   I guess it's best to have a balance between the two, but that is a balance that few can attain.  hmm  After three years, I myself have still not achieved this balance.

On a happier note:
No-one-likes-me achievement-- Go for five months without getting a single view on any of your projects (must have at least 20 projects to be eligible).   tongue

Last edited by mulus_equum_amat (2011-07-26 14:32:37)

#33 2011-07-26 14:21:40

Sidharth
Scratcher

mulus_equum_amat wrote:

Sidharth wrote:

I think that's true, but it's also good if other people like your projects.  I mean, it doesn't bother me that my projects aren't heavily viewed, but sometimes I do wish people looked at my projects, just so I would know what people liked.  I personally enjoy making projects that other people will also enjoy, and it is really not any less fun to do so.  It kind of feels good to know you've created a popular project.  I don't think that's what Scratch is all about, but I believe it is a good thing, if nothing else.

Hmm... So another reason that the front page was created was to encourage those whose projects got on it. The only problem: The front page motivated Scratchers as well as demotivated them. Right now, the only useful rows on that page are featured and friends' latest projects because, as everyone knows, the flood of "coloring contest!!"s and "coloring conters WINNER!!!!!!111!!!1"s and so on and so forth. Those projects "clog" up the flow of Top Loved, Top Viewed, and Top Remixed, rarely letting the projects that actually have some programming involved through.

http://www.danasoft.com/citysign.jpg

#34 2011-07-26 14:35:56

mulus_equum_amat
Scratcher

Sidharth wrote:

mulus_equum_amat wrote:

Sidharth wrote:

Hmm... So another reason that the front page was created was to encourage those whose projects got on it. The only problem: The front page motivated Scratchers as well as demotivated them. Right now, the only useful rows on that page are featured and friends' latest projects because, as everyone knows, the flood of "coloring contest!!"s and "coloring conters WINNER!!!!!!111!!!1"s and so on and so forth. Those projects "clog" up the flow of Top Loved, Top Viewed, and Top Remixed, rarely letting the projects that actually have some programming involved through.

Artsy-fartsy Achievement:  Create and win at least 200 "coloring contest" projects.   tongue

I agree.  Maybe there should be a filter to remove such "junk projects" from the front page, although some might find that rude...  hmm

#35 2011-07-26 20:37:31

pokemongardevoir
Scratcher

BoltBait wrote:

coinman wrote:

there should be like a 1 month wait before you can get on the front page again. because one person makes a good project it gets front paged some new scratcher makes a good project it gets like 4 views.

Are you a comunist?  It sounds like you want SOMETHING for NOTHING.

I believe people should be rewarded based on ability.  If you make a popular project, you DESERVE to be on the front page. Period.

My latest project never made it to the Top Loved line.  It stalled out at #5 and therefore was never shown.  I totally deserved what I got.  Had I made a better project I would have been rewarded with front page status.  As it is, different people made better projects than me and got shown... AS THEY SHOULD HAVE!

If you want on the front page, MAKE BETTER PROJECTS to get famous, then make more projects.  You'll get there.  It takes HARD WORK.  Try spending more than 5 minutes on your projects.  We can't just give you fame for free, you need to earn it.

Stop whining and get working!

[Moderator's note - original post edited]

This is a little much, don't you think?

First, Communism has NOTHING to do with this.

I agree with your second statement, but many projects in the top loved/viewed/remixed aren't very good, say, "Add Urself Runnin Away From A Giant Smiley Face." It has little scripting and the graphics are often poorly drawn or stolen images.
Occasionally, you do see a good project, such as Ninja Roy. But whe're talking about how every single "guess that scratcher" episode gets frontpaged, and things like that.

He's not saying, PUT ME THERE MAKE ME FAMOUS DURR HURR. he's probably trying as hard as he can. Those words can be hurtful, and you can't take something back once you hit the post button.

Last edited by MyRedNeptune (2011-07-28 14:06:24)

http://i48.tinypic.com/n50dt.gifhttp://tiny.cc/oj6plwhttp://tiny.cc/creepforum
My website has been approved by the Scratch Team.  (^_^)

#36 2011-07-26 20:43:46

pokemongardevoir
Scratcher

MyRedNeptune wrote:

Harakou wrote:

MyRedNeptune wrote:

>.>..............................

.....Are you questioning my immortality? >.> No cookies for you then. You little rebel. >.>

It's okay, I have cake.  tongue

Liar. >.>

But really, I'm just on because it's summertime and holidays for me. :-P

If the cake is a lie, you should just eat pie!
MyRedNeptune is funnier, But Harakou has helped me m ore in the past so i'd say you both have equal immortality.

But not even the both of you can stop me!
But I am the reincarnation of both a fish and a bug! Nothing can stop me!
Except for shiny stuff. I always get distracted by shiny glowie things.
But they keep zapping me or poking me! WHAT KIND OF SHINY THING HOOKS PEOPLE?

... its not nice... they even have yummy stuff on them..... Shiny and yummy! Who can resist that?

.... And i went off topic again didnt i?  Darned shiny computer screen..... ooh! Shiny!

#37 2011-07-27 02:03:37

BoltBait
Scratcher

pokemongardevoir wrote:

:

He's not saying, PUT ME THERE MAKE ME FAMOUS DURR HURR. he's probably trying as hard as he can. Those words can be hurtful, and you can't take something back once you hit the post button.

I have nothing to "take back".  roll

The only people that complain that "the front page is unfair" are the people that never get on there and want to... without putting out the effort to actually make it.

I've seen kid after kid come on here with their 5 minutes worth of effort, poorly designed projects begging to be famous.  "I want to be famous! Go look at my scribbles!"  When that doesn't work... "The front page is unfair!"

There is no shortcut to the front page.  It takes months of HARD WORK to get on there.

You start by putting a ton of effort into your games:
- Make sure the graphics look professional--no hand drawn squiggles.  Download Paint.NET if you need a free graphics program.
- Put some thought into the controls you use.
- Learn to write efficient scripts so the project doesn't lag.
- Get rid of the bugs.  No one wants to play a "glitchy" game.
- Learn from other's code.  See something you like?  Download it and find out how it was done.
- Make sure the game is fun.  Is it something you'd like to play yourself?
- Create a title page for your game.  No one wants to play a game that shows "GAME OVER" or "YOU LOSE" on the icon.  This is very important in marketing your game.  When people see the icon, they should WANT to play the game, not turned off.

Once you upload your game:
- Make a post advertising the game in the forums.  Make sure you post in the correct section.  It is called "Show and Tell".
- Add your project to as many open galleries as you can.  Of course, they should be "on topic".  Nothing disappoints a gallery owner more than someone spamming their gallery with off-topic projects.  That's just lame and totally unnecessary.  There are plenty of open galleries that your project will fit into.
- Leave a message to any on-topic galleries that are invitation only.  If you're nice, the project fits, and the owner regularly updates their gallery you'll probably get some views that way.
- Put a link to your game in your signature on the forums.  Then, post often in the forums.  Just be sure to keep your posts helpful and on-topic.  If you find that difficult, post in the misc section.  If you aren't allowed a signature yet, just fake it by putting it at the bottom of all your posts.

NEVER:
- Never spam front page projects with "View my project".  People hate it and your comment will probably get deleted.
- Never add your project to galleries where it doesn't belong.
- Never rip someone elses project thinking you'll get famous by someone elses hard work.
- Never "up" your show-and-tell post before it leaves the first page.

Your first project will probably get a few views and earn you a few friends.  When you post your second project it will show up on your friends front page.  They'll view it and if you follow my advice above you'll get even more views and friends.

Every time you repeat this process you'll get more and more views.

You can chart your progress here: http://scratch.mit.edu/latest/topviewed.

You'll notice with each project you post they'll go higher and higher on that list.  Eventually, you'll find yourself on the front page.  This takes MONTHS and lots of good projects.  Just don't give up.  Realize that it takes time to become famous.

My first few projects never made it to the front page.  Only later when I made the Hangman game did I make the front page.  By that time I had lots of friends here on this site and my future projects got lots of views right away.

Of course, there is no guarantee that every new project you make will be a hit.  But, if you follow my advice, I think you'll be much more successful than most people around here.

Last edited by BoltBait (2011-07-27 02:10:35)

Animated sigs must be banned!
http://boltbait.com/j.pnghttp://boltbait.com/s.pnghttp://boltbait.com/d.pnghttp://boltbait.com/a.pnghttp://boltbait.com/p.png

#38 2011-07-27 11:48:18

MyRedNeptune
Community Moderator

This just turned into a 'how to make a good project' thread.  tongue  Nice advice there, by the way.

But really, the point is that effort put into a project and it's quality is not the only factor of getting on the front page. It's a powerful one, of course, but there are others which I have described in a previous post of mine.

http://i52.tinypic.com/5es7t0.png I know what you're thinking! "Neptune! Get rid of those filthy advertisements and give us back the Zarathustra siggy, you horrible person!" Well, don't worry about it, the Zara siggy will be back soon, new and improved! ^^ Meanwhile, just do what the sig tells you to. >.>

#39 2011-07-27 16:55:55

pokemongardevoir
Scratcher

BoltBait wrote:

pokemongardevoir wrote:

:

I have nothing to "take back".  roll

The only people that complain that "the front page is unfair" are the people that never get on there and want to... without putting out the effort to actually make it.

I've seen kid after kid come on here with their 5 minutes worth of effort, poorly designed projects begging to be famous.  "I want to be famous! Go look at my scribbles!"  When that doesn't work... "The front page is unfair!"

There is no shortcut to the front page.  It takes months of HARD WORK to get on there.

You start by putting a ton of effort into your games:
- Make sure the graphics look professional--no hand drawn squiggles.  Download Paint.NET if you need a free graphics program.
- Put some thought into the controls you use.
- Learn to write efficient scripts so the project doesn't lag.
- Get rid of the bugs.  No one wants to play a "glitchy" game.
- Learn from other's code.  See something you like?  Download it and find out how it was done.
- Make sure the game is fun.  Is it something you'd like to play yourself?
- Create a title page for your game.  No one wants to play a game that shows "GAME OVER" or "YOU LOSE" on the icon.  This is very important in marketing your game.  When people see the icon, they should WANT to play the game, not turned off.

Once you upload your game:
- Make a post advertising the game in the forums.  Make sure you post in the correct section.  It is called "Show and Tell".
- Add your project to as many open galleries as you can.  Of course, they should be "on topic".  Nothing disappoints a gallery owner more than someone spamming their gallery with off-topic projects.  That's just lame and totally unnecessary.  There are plenty of open galleries that your project will fit into.
- Leave a message to any on-topic galleries that are invitation only.  If you're nice, the project fits, and the owner regularly updates their gallery you'll probably get some views that way.
- Put a link to your game in your signature on the forums.  Then, post often in the forums.  Just be sure to keep your posts helpful and on-topic.  If you find that difficult, post in the misc section.  If you aren't allowed a signature yet, just fake it by putting it at the bottom of all your posts.

NEVER:
- Never spam front page projects with "View my project".  People hate it and your comment will probably get deleted.
- Never add your project to galleries where it doesn't belong.
- Never rip someone elses project thinking you'll get famous by someone elses hard work.
- Never "up" your show-and-tell post before it leaves the first page.

Your first project will probably get a few views and earn you a few friends.  When you post your second project it will show up on your friends front page.  They'll view it and if you follow my advice above you'll get even more views and friends.

Every time you repeat this process you'll get more and more views.

You can chart your progress here: http://scratch.mit.edu/latest/topviewed.

You'll notice with each project you post they'll go higher and higher on that list.  Eventually, you'll find yourself on the front page.  This takes MONTHS and lots of good projects.  Just don't give up.  Realize that it takes time to become famous.

My first few projects never made it to the front page.  Only later when I made the Hangman game did I make the front page.  By that time I had lots of friends here on this site and my future projects got lots of views right away.

Of course, there is no guarantee that every new project you make will be a hit.  But, if you follow my advice, I think you'll be much more successful than most people around here.

I accually get what you're talking about though. I finally got frontpaged after spending all my time working and working.

#40 2011-07-27 19:09:11

BoltBait
Scratcher

MyRedNeptune wrote:

This just turned into a 'how to make a good project' thread.  tongue  Nice advice there, by the way.

Thanks!

MyRedNeptune wrote:

But really, the point is that effort put into a project and it's quality is not the only factor of getting on the front page. It's a powerful one, of course, but there are others which I have described in a previous post of mine.

True.  There is always the "winning the lottery" method of getting on the front page (i.e. having a mod feature your project, or having a curator selecting your project).

But, rather than relying on luck... wouldn't you rather EARN it?

http://boltbait.com/j.pnghttp://boltbait.com/s.pnghttp://boltbait.com/d.pnghttp://boltbait.com/a.pnghttp://boltbait.com/p.png

#41 2011-07-28 00:07:42

MyRedNeptune
Community Moderator

BoltBait wrote:

MyRedNeptune wrote:

True.  There is always the "winning the lottery" method of getting on the front page (i.e. having a mod feature your project, or having a curator selecting your project).

I usually try to. ^^

#42 2011-07-28 13:36:25

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

BoltBait wrote:

coinman wrote:

there should be like a 1 month wait before you can get on the front page again. because one person makes a good project it gets front paged some new scratcher makes a good project it gets like 4 views.

Are you a comunist?  It sounds like you want SOMETHING for NOTHING.

I believe people should be rewarded based on ability.  If you make a popular project, you DESERVE to be on the front page. Period.

My latest project never made it to the Top Loved line.  It stalled out at #5 and therefore was never shown.  I totally deserved what I got.  Had I made a better project I would have been rewarded with front page status.  As it is, different people made better projects than me and got shown... AS THEY SHOULD HAVE!

If you want on the front page, MAKE BETTER PROJECTS to get famous, then make more projects.  You'll get there.  It takes HARD WORK.  Try spending more than 5 minutes on your projects.  We can't just give you fame for free, you need to earn it.

Stop whining and get working!

[Note - original post has been edited]

This response is way out of line.

You have absolutely no way of knowing how much time or effort it takes for a particular person to achieve a given result.  The adult members of our community, or members with prior programming experience, might find that it is relatively easy to produce a high quality project.  But for a first-time programmer, it might take hours just to understand the concept of a loop or a branch.  So accusing some one of not "spending more than 5 minutes on your projects" is an insult and does not support the learning environment we are striving for here.

Last edited by MyRedNeptune (2011-07-28 14:08:07)

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#43 2011-07-28 13:57:41

BoltBait
Scratcher

I'm sorry if I offended you.

Hopefully you will find my other posts in this thread helpful.

I have edited my original post to remove anything that might be considered offensive.  However, that post was quoted several times.  Perhaps, you could go edit those posts in a similar manner.  Thanks.

Last edited by BoltBait (2011-07-28 14:00:56)

#44 2011-07-28 14:09:10

MyRedNeptune
Community Moderator

BoltBait wrote:

I have edited my original post to remove anything that might be considered offensive.  However, that post was quoted several times.  Perhaps, you could go edit those posts in a similar manner.  Thanks.

I did, except for the ones in which the edited parts were directly responded to.

#45 2011-07-31 17:16:23

mulus_equum_amat
Scratcher

BoltBait wrote:

MyRedNeptune wrote:

Thanks!

MyRedNeptune wrote:

I'm not sure what just happened, but suddenly one of my projects that I made about a year ago has become featured and has got about 200 comments in four days.  It's not really one I put a lot of time into, either.  I just had an idea and made a project.   smile  For me that's very unusual, but did I necessarily earn it?  I don't know.

#46 2011-07-31 18:04:40

BoltBait
Scratcher

mulus_equum_amat wrote:

BoltBait wrote:

MyRedNeptune wrote:

Thanks!

MyRedNeptune wrote:

I'm not sure what just happened, but suddenly one of my projects that I made about a year ago has become featured and has got about 200 comments in four days.  It's not really one I put a lot of time into, either.  I just had an idea and made a project.   smile  For me that's very unusual, but did I necessarily earn it?  I don't know.

That's what is known as hitting the lottery.  (as I described above)

Nice project, by the way.  smile

#47 2011-07-31 18:59:43

mulus_equum_amat
Scratcher

BoltBait wrote:

mulus_equum_amat wrote:

BoltBait wrote:

MyRedNeptune wrote:

Thanks!

That's what is known as hitting the lottery.  (as I described above)

Nice project, by the way.  smile

Thank you.  It's the first really popular project I've made.

#48 2011-08-02 14:07:30

coinman
Scratcher

BoltBait wrote:

you should put your tips in the scratch wiki  smile . i saw you got a scratch wiki account

Click the picture below to play my best game yet, Snowball Fight!
http://scratch.mit.edu/static/projects/coinman/3221194_sm.png

#49 2011-10-02 10:04:11

luigiman64
Scratcher

now look at this....

my project has 52 views and when i looked at all the most viewed not the top viewed........i when to where it had 50 views and all it showed was swifty's stuff and mrmimes stuff with 50 views and 58 views...now shouldnt my stuff be inbetween the two projects or is it just me....talk about unfair

#50 2011-10-02 10:08:02

HoneyHorse11
Scratcher

I know a lot of people get fronted paged a lot, but they can't help it if people remix their project a lot, love-it, and view it often.   I see your point, but would that be fair to the user who should be front paged but isn't?

"Captain... it appears that we are out of food... And water..." "UNIMPORTANT!" -Romantically Apocalyptic, Mr. Snippy, Zee Captian

Board footer