This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.
  • Index
  •  » Educators
  •  » Do you set up student user accounts for elementary students?

#1 2008-12-11 12:22:50

kwesterfts
Scratcher

Do you set up student user accounts for elementary students?

I had my 5th and 6th grade students explore Scratch, which they love! I wanted to have each of them set up a user account so we can set up safe user names, download Scratch scripts, and participate in dialogue about Scratch...real 21st century learning. Now I am debating it... What about Internet Safety? Are there inappropriate projects on Scratch that I am exposing the students to (I am sure that there are); what about cyberbullying? Do I send a note home to parents asking for permission for their child to create a Scratch user account? Do I set up a school account and use it to post for all of the class projects into the class gallery so at least it is visible to others?

Please help me to figure out a best practice for this age range.

Thank you,

Karen

#2 2008-12-11 15:29:53

mrweston
Scratcher

Re: Do you set up student user accounts for elementary students?

Hi there,

I also teach Scratch (among other things) to classes of kids in grades 5-8, and have had similar thoughts about the online part...

Basically, you've got three things to consider: Your administration, your parents, and your own comfort level. Check with the admin first about whether or not you can do this sort of thing, and whether you need to send letters and such. They'll either give you a policy or they'll leave it up to you; if the former, then, well, there you go.

If the latter, then you've got to think about the 'climate' of the group of parents you've got -- if you've interacted with them at all, you'll probably have a feel for how they'd react to this sort of thing. Consider that.

And most importantly, in the end, go with what feels comfortable and safe to you. I've got students making their own accounts and posting stuff online on their own in large part because I can handle keeping an eye on things, and talking with anyone who may be either bending the rules, or being exposed to less-than-desirable things. I'm fine with taking that responsibility, so it works. If you're of a similar mindset (and have the time/inclination to essentially be a pseudo-parent when necessary), then go for it.

Hope that helps,
john

#3 2008-12-11 15:50:30

Dan01
Scratcher

kwesterfts wrote:

I had my 5th and 6th grade students explore Scratch, which they love! I wanted to have each of them set up a user account so we can set up safe user names, download Scratch scripts, and participate in dialogue about Scratch...real 21st century learning. Now I am debating it... What about Internet Safety? Are there inappropriate projects on Scratch that I am exposing the students to (I am sure that there are); what about cyberbullying? Do I send a note home to parents asking for permission for their child to create a Scratch user account? Do I set up a school account and use it to post for all of the class projects into the class gallery so at least it is visible to others?

Thank you,

Karen

Hey.

Obvisouly there are inappropriate projects on Scratch, as it would be hard for the Scratch Team to find all of them, however your students aren't likely to see them. Over my time using the scratch website, I have only encounted probably 3 or 4 inappropiate projects, so I assure you Scratch is a very safe place, as I've been on the website for probably a year now.

You just have to type in the words cyberbullying in search, and you will see that a whole portion of the Scratch communinty is against it. For example have a look here: http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4190. 18 pages of support against cyber bullying. Again, that won't stop all of it, but I have never seen anyone being bullied here.

To be on the safe side, I would let the parent's know that you are creating an account for their child, as otherwise something could happen, resulting in the child being upset and you will be blamed.

Hope i've helped  big_smile

Good Luck  wink

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/4743/ubd6522wp8.png
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/4667/ubd3758ox2.png

#4 2008-12-11 16:09:51

Lanie
Scratcher

I would suggest making one account for you class. When they go home then they can make the decision if they want to make an account on there own outside of school.

#5 2008-12-11 16:27:46

zawicki1fromyoutube
Scratcher

kwesterfts wrote:

Thank you,

Karen

To your q about inappropriate projects, yes, there are multiple inappropriate projects. You can set up an account that your students share. if you have seen any bad projects, before allowing the students on, try clicking "contact us" at the bottom of every page and report the problem. Then, click you "ignore list" on the "my stuff" page, and type in the user and why you ignore them, then everything by them you can't see. We have had some incidents with people posting inappropriate pictures, but as far as I know, they are all banned, and their projects are removed.

|Call Of Duty: Black Ops Wii Friend Code: 3519-4456-0013|
|Follow me on Twitter|Subscribe To My Youtube Channel

#6 2008-12-11 20:08:03

kwesterfts
Scratcher

Can more than one student be on a class account at a time (to download scripts, etc.?)
Will it boot out the student if another student logs in?

#7 2008-12-11 20:22:25

zawicki1fromyoutube
Scratcher

kwesterfts wrote:

Can more than one student be on a class account at a time (to download scripts, etc.?)
Will it boot out the student if another student logs in?

Yes, if they are doing it seperate. Maybe have like a room number then first initial, last initial, so an example is like 135MA, that could be "room 135, Micheal Adams".

|Call Of Duty: Black Ops Wii Friend Code: 3519-4456-0013|
|Follow me on Twitter|Subscribe To My Youtube Channel

• Index
  •  » Educators
  •  » Do you set up student user accounts for elementary students?

Board footer