This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2008-10-27 09:22:35

bvl
Scratcher

using PicoBoard outside of Scratch (Processing, QuartzComposer, etc)?

Hi, all -

I asked this same question over at the Processing forum, but no replies just yet, so I thought I'd go to the source.

I'd like to be able to use the Picoboard with environments other than just Scratch (though I love it for Scratch!). Specifically, it would be a great prototyping tool in Processing and QuartzComposer.

I've read the technical spec on the PicoBoard:

http://scratch.mit.edu/files/scratchboard/ScratchBoard_Tech_InfoR1.pdf

Unfortunately, I don't have enough experience with hardware integration for that document to be helpful. Here's what I also tried:

In Processing, I opened up the SerialDuplex sketch by Tom Igoe (in the Serial library) and ran it. It showed the following serial ports:

Java lib Version   = RXTX-2.1-7
[0] "/dev/tty.usbserial"
[1] "/dev/cu.usbserial"
[2] "/dev/tty.PL2303-0000101D"
[3] "/dev/cu.PL2303-0000101D"
[4] "/dev/tty.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync"
[5] "/dev/cu.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync"
[6] "/dev/tty.Bluetooth-Modem"
[7] "/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem"

Now, I know from installing the Scratch board that it uses the PL2303 USB-to-serial driver, so I tried setting the sketch to use either port 2 or port 3, both of which are labeled "PL2303", but I'm still not seeing any sign of data showing up in the sketch.

I did test it out in Scratch, and verified that the board is sending data OK (it shows up in a Scratch program).

Any further thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

#2 2008-11-20 10:42:35

mathguy
Scratcher

Re: using PicoBoard outside of Scratch (Processing, QuartzComposer, etc)?

it also would be good for c and if you can get some sensors you can use analog or digital and you can make like a home security system

#3 2008-11-20 11:22:51

mathguy
Scratcher

Re: using PicoBoard outside of Scratch (Processing, QuartzComposer, etc)?

the table for channels to pins and channels to sensors might help if you got it working because then you know what pins go to what sensors  hmm

Board footer