This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#26 2011-05-11 14:54:57

lilacfuzz101
Scratcher

Re: Scratch 2.0 Update: Moving to the Cloud

scimonster wrote:

You should be able to share with some friends before gets it released publicly.

And then we wouldnt need test accounts anymore!

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzqaicLrY01r5wdo7o1_500.gif

#27 2011-05-11 14:58:56

LS97
Scratcher

lilacfuzz101 wrote:

scimonster wrote:

I suppose we wouldn't need them anyway, as the project would run the same off- and on-line

#28 2011-05-11 15:02:01

scimonster
Community Moderator

LS97 wrote:

lilacfuzz101 wrote:

scimonster wrote:

I suppose we wouldn't need them anyway, as the project would run the same off- and on-line

Test accounts are also sometimes used for demos, collabs, etc.

#29 2011-05-11 15:29:54

higejolly
Scratcher

I think you should be able to choose when you save the project. I also think you should be able to upload offline projects to the online editor and vice versa.

http://www.free-iqtest.net/images/badges2/l102.gif
Free-IQTest.net - IQ Test

#30 2011-05-11 16:58:42

DarthPickley
Scratcher

This is more about concerns on having a script editor using Flash.
I was not able to put this into the Experimental Viewer forum because it is now closed, but you still are going to be using Flash, so I need to ask about something:

Right-Clicking is a very important ability for me for using scratch. it allows me to clean up my scripts, duplicate them, change their function (like for the binary operators), grab a region of the screen for a new sprite, and add comments.
However, the problem is: In Flash, Right-Clicking leads to a menu about settings for Flash.
This is a serious discomfort in use. I am wondering what you could do to keep it easy to duplicate and such. At least make Shift-clicking blocks do something.

Also, for the Experimental Viewer only, <key |enter| pressed?> block doesn't work.

On the topic of this thread, I also think that there should be able to be further categorization of projects, into related ones. Maybe this should be if they are all versions of each other, in a chain. And it wouldn't be as much of a remix of your own project, as the next version of it. When you make changes to your own project, and decide to save it for the first time, it could prompt you for whether you want to make it a new 'project compilation' (or whatever you think it should be called) or not. If you say 'yes', it will create a compilation and then for every remix of a project in that compilation, it will automatically add it to that compilation, unless you uncheck a box reading, 'part of compilation |AwesomeOS|' (where |AwesomeOS| is a dropdown menu, so you can add any project to any compilation you have already made)

This would be a good way of decreasing redundancy in the "Projects by: AUser" part of a user's page, by only displaying the latest version of the project.
It also would be a great way of allowing Collaboration: If multiple users can be allowed to add to a compilation, then they can edit and modify and work on a compilation together, and collaborate. You could even make some of the ones that are part of the compilation (maybe 'group' would be a better word? Actually, 'project' works best in this context, but the individual programs already are called projects) private only to members of the group, selected by the group leader(s).

Sometimes, a project never CAN be complete. At least, not completely complete. Each new version has many things about it that work, and a couple that don't that might be changed in the next version.

#31 2011-05-11 18:00:01

Lucario621
Community Moderator

Lightnin wrote:

archmage wrote:

Also good, there should be live coding shows like those at http://wonderfl.net/

You can see people build code and talk to them while they are doing it.

Ooohhh (*salivates*), that would be really awesome.....
There'd be some technical challenges to doing this, but it wouldn't be impossible. Might have to wait till we finish moving the platform to the web, but definitely fun. Is this on Scratch Suggestions yet? If it isn't, it should be.  smile

I also think perhaps to prevent there from being spam live streams, there should be only broadcasts for trusted users, or at least people that have passed the "New Scratcher" status (perhaps there should be things on the main site to give you "Scratcher" status?)

http://i.imgur.com/WBkM2QQ.png

#32 2011-05-11 18:14:22

tobydanger
Scratcher

I have read the FAQ and despite the assurance that it will continue to be a feature, I cannot stress enough my opinion that the ability to develop offline not be lost somewhere along the way. I have and I have witnessed others working on netbooks in places without wifi (it's hard to get a good wifi connection at several thousand feet in the middle of absolutely nowhere).

#33 2011-05-11 19:38:19

MarioLuigi2009
Scratcher

There should be 3 saving options. Shared (same as uploading), View-Only (it can be played, but not downloaded), and Private (no sharing at all)

http://mag.racked.eu/mcimage/i349/Achievement++get%21/Slammin+Salmon/mca.pnghttp://mag.racked.eu/mcimage/i5007/Achievement++get%21/Smile+for+the+camera/mca.pnghttp://mag.racked.eu/mcimage/i54/Achievement++get%21/Storin+dirt.../mca.pnghttp://www.minecraftanonymous.com/assets/banners/banner_78.png

#34 2011-05-11 20:39:38

lilacfuzz101
Scratcher

MarioLuigi2009 wrote:

There should be 3 saving options. Shared (same as uploading), View-Only (it can be played, but not downloaded), and Private (no sharing at all)

Scratch: Imagine Program SHARE... probably not  tongue

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzqaicLrY01r5wdo7o1_500.gif

#35 2011-05-11 20:47:35

Kileymeister
Scratcher

MarioLuigi2009 wrote:

Maybe just Shared and Private.

I'm back, and showcasing two new* projects!  Click left or right on the image below to see!
http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/7905/part1l.pnghttp://img859.imageshack.us/img859/6417/part2bf.png

#36 2011-05-11 21:25:24

bananaman114
Scratcher

MarioLuigi2009 wrote:

I don't get the point of sharing it but making if private. Just for a test account?
What I do is test as I code. If I need to test online I ususally jsut share it, run it once, then delete it. Unless it's for a collab.

the sun still shines

#37 2011-05-12 01:04:12

scimonster
Community Moderator

Kileymeister wrote:

MarioLuigi2009 wrote:

Maybe just Shared and Private.

+1.

#38 2011-05-12 01:33:18

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Should Scratchers be able to see each other’s draft projects?

NOEZ DX I would definitely not want other people browsing through my projects ^^ I like to keep my projects a surprise, and I wouldn't feel comfortable letting other Scratchers examine them without my permission.

Maybe there could be an option to allow other users to have access to your projects? (Yeah, other people have already suggested it, but I wanted to suggest it too :3)

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#39 2011-05-12 01:41:27

Chrischb
Scratcher

Dazachi wrote:

There could be like a check box or something to allow other Scratchers to view the work in progress. If not, then it would be private until released.

+1  tongue

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#40 2011-05-12 03:18:31

Clank23
Scratcher

if your making online CAN other people can join to make collabs easier?
If not i think the scratch team should allow you to.

Last edited by Clank23 (2011-05-12 03:19:29)

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/4333/signaturely.png

#41 2011-05-12 15:33:25

WeirdF
Scratcher

My main problem is privacy. I think it would have to be very clearly outlined that projects are public. Because people who use Scratch for personal use and don't look at the forums and the rest of the website might start work on a project without realising that people can see it. It could be a project that contains private information about them or their family or whatever.

I was planning to work on all my projects offline even before I heard about this, but offline project working is like the "Make project private" button in a way. So there is a choice, but it should be clearly outlined for situations similar to what I mentioned above.

(I'm not trying to tell the Scratch Team how to do their job - they probably know all this anyway).

http://i.cr3ation.co.uk/dl/s1/gif/847032b8a331def77529b6a0384db1fe_handfingers.gif

#42 2011-05-12 16:38:04

dav09
Scratcher

No and yes, if you want to, maybe have a private and public feature or password protection but not forced.

#43 2011-05-12 16:44:00

Liduen
Scratcher

Clank23 wrote:

if your making online CAN other people can join to make collabs easier?
If not i think the scratch team should allow you to.

Well, they have been saying that collabs will be easier and are looking for ways to make this happen! so maybe... of course it might glitch/run slow if multiple people are working on it at the same time...  hmm  cool idea though  smile

Atra esterní ono thelduin, mor'ranr lífa unin hjarta onr, un du evarínya ono varda.http://scratch.mit.edu/static/projects/Liduen/1906362_sm.pngJoin Scratch Writers!

#44 2011-05-12 17:06:46

illusionist
Retired Community Moderator

Lightnin wrote:

"What do you think? Should Scratchers be able to see each other’s draft projects?"

NO NO NO

You should be able to "send" a project to a friend.

I am APPALLED that ANYONE thought of that.  yikes  If I want to show people a project, I will share it.

Last edited by illusionist (2011-05-12 17:11:07)

http://i.imgur.com/8LX1NrV.png

#45 2011-05-12 17:43:15

Liduen
Scratcher

Maybe we just need a system...
Share with the World: makes project visible to ALL scratchers
Share with Friends: makes project visible to select Scratchers like those who are testing the project for you. Can't edit (unless downloaded) Maybe you need a password?
Private: Not visible to anyone but yourself
Collab Share: Shares with people in your Collab and allows for people to edit it at the same time. Saved on all user's profiles as soon as they make an edit.

I used ideas from others but just put them together in the same post (added Collab Share though)  smile

Atra esterní ono thelduin, mor'ranr lífa unin hjarta onr, un du evarínya ono varda.http://scratch.mit.edu/static/projects/Liduen/1906362_sm.pngJoin Scratch Writers!

#46 2011-05-12 23:17:37

scimonster
Community Moderator

WeirdF wrote:

My main problem is privacy. I think it would have to be very clearly outlined that projects are public. Because people who use Scratch for personal use and don't look at the forums and the rest of the website might start work on a project without realising that people can see it. It could be a project that contains private information about them or their family or whatever.

I was planning to work on all my projects offline even before I heard about this, but offline project working is like the "Make project private" button in a way. So there is a choice, but it should be clearly outlined for situations similar to what I mentioned above.

(I'm not trying to tell the Scratch Team how to do their job - they probably know all this anyway).

That's a great way of putting it, WeirdF.  smile

Liduen wrote:

Share with Friends: makes project visible to select Scratchers like those who are testing the project for you. Can't edit (unless downloaded) Maybe you need a password?
Collab Share: Shares with people in your Collab and allows for people to edit it at the same time. Saved on all user's profiles as soon as they make an edit.

I used ideas from others but just put them together in the same post (added Collab Share though)  smile

Sounds cool.

#47 2011-05-13 09:30:26

Hardmath123
Scratcher

Liduen wrote:

Some more ideas:

Collab-editable: Editable by all members of a collab
Collab-read-only: Viewable but not editable (unless downloaded) by all members of a collab. This could be useful if you were using the collab feature to have a contest or something

Hardmaths-MacBook-Pro:~ Hardmath$ sudo make $(whoami) a sandwich

#48 2011-05-13 13:12:11

cyros123
Scratcher

BoltBait wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

"What do you think? Should Scratchers be able to see each other’s draft projects?"

No.

I don't like to post my projects until they're done.

Here's an idea:  Why not allow me to invite specific people to view (or even contribute) to a draft project?  This would enable people to work together on projects.

BTW, I would like an easy way to test my draft projects in the various platforms (java player, flash player, dev environment, etc.).

Yeah, like collaborative project making :3

http://www.novavalley.myadopts.com/siggies/novavalley/4.gif Click the egg, and visit Nova Valley!

#49 2011-05-13 17:08:44

Lightnin
Scratch Team

Liduen wrote:

Ah, I hate to have to mention it, but scratch is on the world wide web, and the web does have some creeps / bullies on it. So sharing projects with specific other people - like "friends" only - is probably not going to be an option.   sad  It would be too easy to share a mean attack project with a specific person. So I don't think we can open a channel for people to say things privately to a particular person. Since no one else could see it, no one else could flag it. We need everything to be public to everyone (so anyone can see it and flag it) or private to the creator themselves.

Help Scratchers make the leap to 2.0!
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6844/transitionteam.jpg

#50 2011-05-13 17:11:07

Ashurathehedgehog
Scratcher

Lightnin wrote:

It would be too easy to share a mean attack project with a specific person.

You guys could make it so that it wouldn't be shared if an attack project.

Oh great. hit my 100th post. thankz liru.

Board footer