This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2011-04-15 21:49:13

gnk2200
Scratcher

New Scratch Members - Get a good start to Scratch!

When you first join Scratch, you want to do it right. This means have a safe, secure, password, find friends, get started on an amazing project, and know the rules. This is a quick tutorial to get you started down this road.

Contents
1. Coming up with a good username and password
2. Know the rules!
3. Make friends
4. Create and share your project

1 - Coming up with a good username and password
When you join Scratch, you need to log in (as you probably know  tongue ). Know your username and password! When you make your username, here are some guidelines to follow.
*Don't make it too random. Don't make it LOLUGHGDJSGUI. A username is what everyone knows you by.
*Simple - don't use innapropriate language!
*Make it reflect you. For example, if you love art, make your username IHeartArt952.
Passwords are a little trickier. If someone knows your password, they can access your account and post things that YOU DO NOT WANT. My secure password generator is this:
Let's says your full name is Jenny Martha Smith. Your birthday is 3/8/98. Your favorite animal is a horse.
[firstname][middleinitial][lastname][birthday][favoriteanimalbackwords]
Jenny's password would be jennymsmith3898esroh.
Then, to make it a little bit safer, do the shift pattern SHIFT SHIFT No shift Repeat.
The password would be this: JEnNYmSMiTH3*(8ESrOH. Would a hacker guess that?
(This is not real information.)

2 - Know the rules!
When you log in to Scratch, you are agreeing that you will follow the rules - every last one of them. Here's what they are:
BE RESPECTFUL. It's simple.
Give credit to others when you use their sprites, scripts, sounds, backgrounds, and project.
If you find something inappropriate, don't sit around and bite your nails. Flag it!  wink
Be honest and always tell the truth.
Don't share personal info. Keep that to yourself.
If you are going to be mean, stop yourself. Think, What don't I like about this project? Then offer constructive criticism to help make the project better.
Be friendly!

3 - Make friends!
On Scratch, there's tons of opportunities to make friends with others around the state, around the country, around the world. Even if you're a kid and aren't allowed to friend people, that doesn't mean you can't have friends. Want to know where to start? Here's how.
Be nice. It pays off.
Leave positive, specific comments on projects. Say, "I like how the ghost effect is used in this project!" or "This project is cool because you can create a drawing."
Use the forums. Joining discussions can make you a bigger part of the community.
When all else fails, friend someone.

4 - Create and share your project
So, you really want to create an amazing game, but you don't understand how to use the blocks completely. Here are 4 pointers that will help you find your way.
1. In the Scratch program, right-click or Ctrl-click any block and click help to get the block tutorial.
2. Use the forums to find tutorials.
3. Use the main site to find tutorials.
4. Use the wiki.
Yep, if you use these, you'll find a pretty good knowledge of Scratch. I know I did.
But to advertise your project - how are you going to reach stardom like 08jackt and swifty2 and all the other famous stars? Everyone's got it in them, it just hasn't come out yet. Tell your friends about your new project. Use the show and tell forum. Just don't spam. No one likes a spammer.

Well, I hope this helped you on your way down the road of Scratch. Thanks for reading!

Last edited by gnk2200 (2011-05-01 08:31:35)

#2 2011-04-15 22:16:56

kingofdallamas
Scratcher

Re: New Scratch Members - Get a good start to Scratch!

Wow, great guide! This will be really helpful to new members; however, usually Scratchers who already made an account and have their usernames, look at forums , and they can't change that. Just a thought.  big_smile

Last edited by kingofdallamas (2011-04-15 22:17:36)

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab99/Gilgamesh1192/Ninja%20Saga/ElementalJutsus2.gifhttp://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c192/BoomKaTish/GIF/thgfhgfhfhgf.gif
ハロー友だち!

#3 2011-04-29 20:50:42

beatlesgal
Scratcher

how do i make a forum?

#4 2011-04-29 22:31:19

gnk2200
Scratcher

beatlesgal wrote:

how do i make a forum?

Well, you can't make an actual forum, but you can post a topic in a forum. Just enter the forum you want, and, at the top, click the button that says "Post new topic".

#5 2011-05-01 07:53:40

Poke_Master
Scratcher

Thnx gnk2200 i needed this alot Thnx!

If you took your time reading this, you have just wasted more than 10 seconds of your life cause your still reading my signature. Congratulations your still reading. That deserves a HUGE nothing. - R Dash (Yes, really)

#6 2011-05-01 07:57:12

scimonster
Community Moderator

Do you want to include links to the Wiki?

#7 2011-05-01 08:27:55

gnk2200
Scratcher

scimonster wrote:

Good idea.

#8 2011-05-01 08:31:31

scimonster
Community Moderator

gnk2200 wrote:

scimonster wrote:

Good idea.

Friends and How do I get my Projects Popular?

Board footer