This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2008-07-25 16:10:05

DESIGN
Scratcher

Is the sensor board worth the price?

I was wondering if you guys think the board is worth it. i was also wondering how it works.

#2 2008-07-25 16:30:54

Lanie
Scratcher

Re: Is the sensor board worth the price?

I dont have it but from what i have read and seen it looks 100% worth it

#3 2008-07-25 17:45:19

Cyclone103
Scratcher

I think it looks worth it. Ask Chalkmarrow to find out about how it works.

All your base are belong to us

#4 2008-07-25 17:47:24

fullmoon
Retired Community Moderator

I wouldn't buy one, but I'd happily take one!  tongue

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn100/fullmoon32/wow.jpg

#5 2008-07-25 18:18:03

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

This thread answers a lot of questions on the Sensor Board:

http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=44854#p44854

Whether it's worth it or not depends on how badly you want to hook Scratch up to the real world!

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#6 2008-07-25 19:15:43

Cyclone103
Scratcher

Paddle2See wrote:

Whether it's worth it or not depends on how badly you want to hook Scratch up to the real world!

I would love to hook Scratch up to the real world, but I would only buy it if they drop the price back down. I was actually planning on getting one, but I changed my mind as soon as they raised the price.

All your base are belong to us

#7 2008-07-25 22:05:03

chalkmarrow
Scratcher

I definitely think it's worth it. Paddle2See's post has a link to more info about how it works, etc.

#8 2008-07-26 05:33:53

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

Cyclone103 wrote:

Paddle2See wrote:

I would love to hook Scratch up to the real world, but I would only buy it if they drop the price back down. I was actually planning on getting one, but I changed my mind as soon as they raised the price.

What was was.  What is is.  The past is gone.  Deal with the present, live in the moment.  If you had not known that it used to be cheaper, would you have thought the price too high?  The value of something really has no relationship with what it's price used to be.  I have come to that conclusion when thinking about gas prices.  Yes, they are twice as high as they used to be only a short time ago.  But it is still worth it to me to drive 10 miles...if the alternative is to walk.

#9 2008-07-26 15:51:01

Bluestribute
Scratcher

chalkmarrow wrote:

I definitely think it's worth it. Paddle2See's post has a link to more info about how it works, etc.

I hope you're right, because my dad just said I could get one

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/1204/bluestributett4.jpg
That's my PSN ID. I know tons of COD4 glitches. Add me as your friend. Oh, and get a headset

#10 2008-07-26 16:00:35

Bluestribute
Scratcher

Bluestribute wrote:

chalkmarrow wrote:

I hope you're right, because my dad just said I could get one

Alright, we ordered it! I hope I don't get disappointed!

That's my PSN ID. I know tons of COD4 glitches. Add me as your friend. Oh, and get a headset

#11 2008-07-27 03:13:52

chalkmarrow
Scratcher

Paddle2See wrote:

Cyclone103 wrote:

Paddle2See wrote:

What was was.  What is is.  The past is gone.  Deal with the present, live in the moment.  If you had not known that it used to be cheaper, would you have thought the price too high?  The value of something really has no relationship with what it's price used to be.  I have come to that conclusion when thinking about gas prices.  Yes, they are twice as high as they used to be only a short time ago.  But it is still worth it to me to drive 10 miles...if the alternative is to walk.

Thank you, Yoda... smile

#12 2008-07-27 05:40:00

Paddle2SeeFixIt
Scratcher

chalkmarrow wrote:

Paddle2See wrote:

Cyclone103 wrote:

Thank you, Yoda... smile

You are welcome...Grasshopper.  The wisdom of the ages now available at cut rate prices!

#13 2008-07-29 00:16:37

keithbraafladt
Scratcher

I'd agree that the cost of the PICOboard is high. But the PICO board lets you connect Scratch to the real world. That means that you can now connect ( or even build ) sensors and switches that let you connect to changes in light, motion and sound all around you.
- Also another way to look at the cost of the PICOboard is to think about what you've already been given: Scratch and the Scratch website.
For free.

#14 2008-08-10 13:05:52

Orange20
Scratcher

I just bought one recently, and I think they are definatly worth it. smile

The sentence below is a lie.
The sentence above is the truth.

#15 2008-08-10 13:09:04

Bluestribute
Scratcher

Orange20 wrote:

I just bought one recently, and I think they are definatly worth it. smile

Agreed. So fun to make a scrolling game using entirely the sensor board

#16 2008-08-10 14:07:24

dingdong
Scratcher

it can be worth it, since it plugs into the computer it can be used in pretty much any programming language, except something like flash, I saw somebody get the scratch board to work with python, it was quite interesting, it used hexadecimals and stuff, really weird

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/2829/superanbanner.png
click the image for my music

#17 2008-08-12 17:40:23

relyt12101
Scratcher

Paddle2See wrote:

I see your point but what does driving and walking have to do with Scratch/Pico boards?

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/2860/pspbanneregg089deiy0.png

#18 2008-08-12 18:10:10

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

relyt12101 wrote:

Paddle2See wrote:

I see your point but what does driving and walking have to do with Scratch/Pico boards?

I was trying to make an awkward analogy...sorry about that.  The point is; the alternative to not spending the money for the board is that you have to live without the board.  What is the value of the new functionality the board brings to you?  It is going to differ for each person but for me at least, the price was worth it.

#19 2008-10-03 16:08:33

yambanshee
Scratcher

Paddle2See wrote:

Cyclone103 wrote:

Paddle2See wrote:

If you think about the processes gas has to go through its a miricle its still so low in pplaces like the US. Over here its roughly 10cents a liter :p. Anyways sory for going off topic

#20 2008-10-19 20:10:15

hmnwilson
Scratcher

I bought a scratch board while they were still being made. Sure the price was lower then, but I definitely thought it was worth it... until it broke.  tongue  I'm not allowed to get a new one (especially since they raised the price) but it was fun while it lasted.

I'm taking a break from Scratch until 2.0 comes out. Any messages sent between then and now probably won't be read - sorry.
(Oct. 20, 2011)

#21 2008-10-19 21:37:15

chalkmarrow
Scratcher

hmnwilson wrote:

I bought a scratch board while they were still being made. Sure the price was lower then, but I definitely thought it was worth it... until it broke.  tongue  I'm not allowed to get a new one (especially since they raised the price) but it was fun while it lasted.

How did it break? Do some parts of it work, while others do not work? Or does it no longer talk to your computer or something...

#22 2008-10-19 22:18:31

hmnwilson
Scratcher

chalkmarrow wrote:

hmnwilson wrote:

How did it break? Do some parts of it work, while others do not work? Or does it no longer talk to your computer or something...

Hard to say. It used to work fine, but somehow it got damaged and never worked again. I tried to find what was damaged, and on the bottom I saw a pretty deep scratch (no pun intended) along some orange wires and seemed to cut right through them. (It's a drawback to having no covering.) Aaaaand, needless to say, my parents never forgave it, but I guess that's the reaction you get when you buy something for $30 (the price at the time) that lasts only a week.

I'm taking a break from Scratch until 2.0 comes out. Any messages sent between then and now probably won't be read - sorry.
(Oct. 20, 2011)

#23 2008-10-19 23:57:57

chalkmarrow
Scratcher

hmnwilson wrote:

chalkmarrow wrote:

hmnwilson wrote:

Hard to say. It used to work fine, but somehow it got damaged and never worked again. I tried to find what was damaged, and on the bottom I saw a pretty deep scratch (no pun intended) along some orange wires and seemed to cut right through them. (It's a drawback to having no covering.) Aaaaand, needless to say, my parents never forgave it, but I guess that's the reaction you get when you buy something for $30 (the price at the time) that lasts only a week.

Yeah. The orange lines on the bottom correspond to thin metal traces interconnecting various parts of the board. If you cut through one of those it could brick the board by creating an open circuit. On the other hand, depending upon how handy you are with a soldering iron, it's really not impossible to fix. If you scrape away the orange covering carefully enough to expose the metal underneath on both sides of the scratch, you might be able to interconnect them with a bit of melted solder (though it will likely not "stick" too well to what is probably aluminum traces, so you would need to play with it), and you would need to prevent contact with any adjacent traces. It would be a pain in the butt to do, but you really have nothing to lose...

Board footer