This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2011-03-26 14:53:25

hobolicous
New Scratcher

Questions about online game design

I"m a new Scratch member!  I’m an 11 year old Girl Scout from Virginia, USA working on a badge about gaming.  I would appreciate it if you would help me by answering these questions.  Thank you!
1.)     Please tell me about your job as a game designer.  What do you do?
2.)    What training and experience are necessary to do your job?
3.)    How long does it take and how many people are involved in creating the games on Scratch?
4.)    How do you decide which games go on Scratch?
5.)    What do you find the most challenging about your job?
smile

#2 2011-03-26 15:51:01

BlahBlahRatSheep
Scratcher

Re: Questions about online game design

1.) I occasionally design games. I just throw around a few blocks and a game is created.

2.) Don't need to train, but reading about how to use scratch and looking for tutorials always help.

3.) It depends on how much effort you wanna put in the game and how the game is planned to be. Lots of people are involved, there's so much, some people join and/or create collabs and combine their talents.

4.) Anyone can upload a game, there's no judging on game before it is put on Scratch.

5.) Finding out which scripts to put together.

btw I leik your username ;D xD

"and knew ones will come and they will get poopular then theyll leave and more pooples will get poopular." -soupoftomato
http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp132/kimchi_and_chowder/lolicon.gif Lovely day to air out my tongue, yes?

#3 2011-03-26 16:07:33

puppetadventurer
Scratcher

1. i made games

2. none its not even a job

3. one or more

4. um i dont

5. not being sucked into the forums

#4 2011-03-26 17:23:05

juststickman
Scratcher

1- write stuff down, ask people about it, then do the opposite of what they answer.

2- none really, just patience

3- On scratch, there are very few games. Most projects are "useless", and not "games".

4- Nobody does. Everybody is free to spam the site with whatever they want.

5- Working.

http://is.gd/iBQi2 Add grob to your sig and help with world dominiation!http://is.gd/iBQ9Q                                                             Hey guys, we're seriously naming our team bob?

#5 2011-03-26 19:51:44

Venazard
Scratcher

1. I look for at other scratch projects, movies, video games, etc., and usually an idea can come to me.

2. Time. For me, i learned what blocks do what with time, and by clicking a block, then help, which helped me to learn the funcion of it.

3. It depend on how much effort is put into it. If you want it "professional-grade" it would take more time. Scratch only has a 10 MB limit, so it can't be extremely long.

4. I decide which projects go on by the ones that I am most proud of  smile

5. The most challenging thing I think is getting the project to work. Sometimes it takes a while to locate the error in the blocks, fix it, then test it. Like I said, it can take a bit of time.

I wish this was a job  big_smile

http://nitrostudios.weebly.com/uploads/6/8/1/2/6812574/1323469851.png

#6 2011-03-26 21:03:16

qwerty2357
Scratcher

1. I don't have a job yet, I'm 14.  tongue  I do use scratch though because this is the type of thing I want to do later in life.
2.)    Training, no. Experience, depends on how hard of a program you're making. If your just started, then you don't want to be making a game with awesome graphics and features. You probably want to begin making 'movies' with no audience input.
3.)    It can take quite a few hours to crank out a game if it's complicated enough. I usually work alone, but some people collaborate their efforts.
4.)    I've uploaded all of the games I made that I deemed 'good.'
5.)    Breaking down barriers. A good example of this is when I was figuring out how to make the 'camera' 'move.' Eventually I figured out that you could make a sprite look like the background and make it move the opposite way you would expect your character to be moving, giving the illusion that a camera is following it around town.

#7 2011-03-26 21:12:50

qwerty2357
Scratcher

qwerty2357 wrote:

5.)    Breaking down barriers. A good example of this is when I was figuring out how to make the 'camera' 'move.' Eventually I figured out that you could make a sprite look like the background and make it move the opposite way you would expect your character to be moving, giving the illusion that a camera is following it around town.

Similar to how a treadmill works  smile

#8 2011-03-26 21:20:04

rufflebee
Scratcher

1.) It isn't really a job, more of a hobby. But pretty much what you do is drag blocks together
2.) None really. Just messing around with blocks is plenty of experience
3.) For me, it takes anywhere from a night to three months to make a game. Usually there's only one person working to make their project, but sometimes people do collabs and work as a team. (To be honest I've seen very few collabs actually work out and have a good project in the end though, but there have been some pretty great ones)
4.) I only upload stuff I make that looks nice and runs smoothly. I usually run it by a few of my friends first to get some opinions before deciding whether or not to upload it
5.) There we go again with the term "job." But I find getting ideas challenging. If I don't have a good idea for a game, then I obviously can't make a game

http://i44.tinypic.com/34e9cab.png

#9 2011-03-26 21:30:35

soupoftomato
Scratcher

hobolicous wrote:

I"m a new Scratch member!  I’m an 11 year old Girl Scout from Virginia, USA working on a badge about gaming.  I would appreciate it if you would help me by answering these questions.  Thank you!
1.)     Please tell me about your job as a game designer.  What do you do?
2.)    What training and experience are necessary to do your job?
3.)    How long does it take and how many people are involved in creating the games on Scratch?
4.)    How do you decide which games go on Scratch?
5.)    What do you find the most challenging about your job?
smile

Before I start, you seem to be confused about the content and creators on this site. We are all kids making these for hobbies, and no games released here are in any way professional or paying.

Without further ado:
1. You put some blocks together, that when ran back, create a game or animation.
2. There isn't much "training" involved. Playing with the blocks and a couple of tutorials are good starts.
3. It could be anywhere from 1-100. Not that 100 people have ever made one. But there's really no limit. Everyone can access the source of everything released, so we can all build on ideas and expand others work.
4. Nobody actually decides what quality or caliber the projects must be. The moderators and admins do have some rules about content in games. I put stuff on my personal account that I think I can be proud of or gets a message out.
5. The most challenging thing would be actually working on a game until it's finished. It's a huge amount of trial and error.

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

Board footer