This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2011-02-24 16:02:46

aweman
Scratcher

RPG Tips--- Joining and Making RPGs

I have joined several RPGs, but not all of them were really for me. This thread will help save you some time choosing your RPG. Here's a link to the TBG (Text Based Game) forum: http://scratch.mit.edu/tbgforums/index.php

Joining an RPG
1. Know what you want
Going through every RPG you see just won't cut it. You don't have to know exactly what you want, but just knowing something simple, like the time frame, medieval or future, magic or technology, can really help.

2. Set up a bookmark
A bookmark is a little thing that marks a page for later use. I recommend making an RPG folder on your Bookmarks toolbar to organize your RPG(s).

3. Credits or no Credits?
Some games use Credits or Tokens; virtual money created by TBG forum moderators. Credits and Tokens aren't paid for with real money; but they still have a fixed number.

4. Recommendations
Try not to join RPGs that are recommended by the creator; a recommendation from users is good, too!

5 Popular or underground?
Some RPGs, like Chrisb's Flag RPG, are insanely popular. Flag RPG has over 700 pages! Some people like these because the creator has to check up every day on the forum. However, some people like less popular RPGs. I enjoy RPGs with around 50-100 users, but that's just me.

Making a new RPG
1. Know exactly what you want
If you barely have an idea of an RPG, don't post it yet. Go onto Wordpad, MS Word, or any other word processor and write down ideas. Or, get a pencil and paper.

2. Currency
What is the name of your currency? Can people buy it with Credits or Tokens? FYI, Tokens and Credits are virtual money created by TBG forum moderators. Credits and Tokens aren't paid for with real money; but they still have a fixed number. Will you a decimal system, or invent your own? If you make a picture of a coin or a piece of your money, it really enhances the game.

3. Actions
What can you do? Fighting, farming, and mining are all good ideas. Also, trade and building are sure-fire ways to enhance the RPG.

Comment with more ideas, please!

Last edited by aweman (2011-02-24 18:49:44)

#2 2011-02-24 16:19:34

Miss_Webgal
Scratcher

Re: RPG Tips--- Joining and Making RPGs

Nice, but are sure this doesn't belong in the TBGs? This seems more like a resource for there. (Not calling this a TBG)

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWYoq0FKwiXwk187zDNnI34NF0Bu12bt-zUDATzda50bhMNfsKxw

#3 2011-02-24 16:20:18

puppetadventurer
Scratcher

i kinda agree with webby

#4 2011-02-24 16:46:42

Lar-Rew
Scratcher

Miss_Webgal wrote:

Nice, but are sure this doesn't belong in the TBGs? This seems more like a resource for there. (Not calling this a TBG)

I concur.

#5 2011-02-24 16:56:54

aweman
Scratcher

Yeah, I was gonna, but I thought new Scratchers should know this.

#6 2011-02-24 16:59:40

puppetadventurer
Scratcher

aweman wrote:

Yeah, I was gonna, but I thought new Scratchers should know this.

most new scratchers know nothing about the TBGs

you should have a link to them

Board footer