This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2010-11-01 23:38:23

clintonb
Scratcher

Program your NXT with Enchanting

Jump here for the announcement of Enchanting 0.2.3 (or read about it on The NXT Step blog).

----------

Enchanting v0.0.7 is now out.  It works very nicely as a remote sensor for Scratch.  See the discussion here and take a look at the sample video, demonstrating sending data between an NXT and Scratch!

-----------

I've created a new mod for programming LEGO Mindstorms NXTs.  I didn't want to cross-post, so, see the discussion here, in the Advanced forum.

Cheers!

Last edited by clintonb (2013-02-04 22:26:10)

#2 2011-01-04 16:29:14

clintonb
Scratcher

Re: Program your NXT with Enchanting

Enchanting 0.0.4 is now out.  (See the thread in the Advanced Forum).

#3 2011-01-04 16:57:14

sooperdragon
Scratcher

sweet

#4 2011-02-07 13:27:17

cctv
Scratcher

Dear Clintonb,

Your software is really great,

but why you made it based on  LeJOS firmware?

Is it possible to make the Enchanting working with original Lego firmware?

1. I want to try to use C like language (NXC) and Scratch/Enchanting. So I would need to change firmware between version for NXC  and version for scratch/enchanting.
2. I afraid a little to change the firmware back & forth.

Last edited by cctv (2011-03-07 15:41:38)

#5 2011-02-07 23:44:07

jimmyscratchlab
Scratcher

Dear cctv,
If you are a linux user,you can look my posts

#6 2011-06-08 22:41:51

clintonb
Scratcher

cctv wrote:

Dear Clintonb,

Your software is really great,

but why you made it based on  LeJOS firmware?

Is it possible to make the Enchanting working with original Lego firmware?

1. I want to try to use C like language (NXC) and Scratch/Enchanting. So I would need to change firmware between version for NXC  and version for scratch/enchanting.
2. I afraid a little to change the firmware back & forth.

Hi cctv.

The leJOS firmware makes it easier for me to do some of the things I want to make Enchanting do, and provides all sorts of mechanisms for communicating between the computer and the NXT.

To do as you say, you would need to change the firmware.  There is a risk in doing so, although I think it is minor.  I wish I had numbers, but I think you can only flash the firmware a few hundred times.  I wouldn't change back and forth an awful lot if I could avoid it.

I had contemplated using LEGO's original firmware, but one of the problems there is that there is more than one version of their firmware, and most users would still need to reflash (or programs written in Enchanting would run at different speeds depending upon which firmware you are using].  At this point, I have no plans to directly support using the original firmware. 

Cheers,
Clinton

#7 2011-06-08 22:42:52

clintonb
Scratcher

Enchanting v0.0.7 is now out.  Jump here for the announcement.

#8 2011-10-27 17:32:32

djembii
New Scratcher

I've tried to program with the new enchanting and have been face a problem with turning the motors a certain angle. <rotate (NXT motor)(90)°>:
This will do nothing unless it is followed by a <wait (1)secs>, which is not the way rotating of a sprite in scratch works - and it's unlogical! As well, for this you have to calculate the time from the velocity, whitch is too complex for primary school childs. Even if you manage to do it, it will stop, so no smooth motion could be programmed. I understand that this has to be done for the <rotate (NXT motor)(90)° and wait> element, but why the <rotate (NXT motor)(90)°> stops as well?
Could someone help? What is the aims behind this nehavior?
thanks in advance, djembii

#9 2012-02-04 02:27:22

darkblade525
Scratcher

First off,
i love you.
Also i got a brillantastic Idea
With the OSC Idevice connections linked in here too,
We could control nxt with idevices
Yes.
I have to try that

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/77821642/Reboundlogo.png

#10 2013-02-04 22:28:47

clintonb
Scratcher

djembii wrote:

I've tried to program with the new enchanting and have been face a problem with turning the motors a certain angle. <rotate (NXT motor)(90)°>:
This will do nothing unless it is followed by a <wait (1)secs>, which is not the way rotating of a sprite in scratch works - and it's unlogical! As well, for this you have to calculate the time from the velocity, whitch is too complex for primary school childs. Even if you manage to do it, it will stop, so no smooth motion could be programmed. I understand that this has to be done for the <rotate (NXT motor)(90)° and wait> element, but why the <rotate (NXT motor)(90)°> stops as well?
Could someone help? What is the aims behind this nehavior?
thanks in advance, djembii

Hi djembii.

I think you'll find that Enchanting 0.2.3 is friendlier.  In particular, you can tell the whole robot to rotate a number of degrees, much like you can rotate a sprite in Scratch. 

I don't recall ever needing a 'wait' block after a 'rotate motor' block, but your post was about a much older version.

#11 2013-02-04 22:29:54

clintonb
Scratcher

darkblade525 wrote:

First off,
i love you.
Also i got a brillantastic Idea
With the OSC Idevice connections linked in here too,
We could control nxt with idevices
Yes.
I have to try that

Thank you, Darkblade525.  I'm glad to hear you like it.

I haven't really played around with OSC control.  Did you ever try it out and have success in using it with Enchanting?

Board footer