This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2008-08-27 22:21:53

MeramecMustangs
Scratcher

Pair Programming with Scratch?

I'm starting a Scratch Club at my daughter's elementary school.  We need to cap the enrollment based on the available computers.  The question at hand is whether to have one student per computer or two students per computer?

Some relevant info follows. This will be an after school club for grades 3-5.  We have lots of parent involvement so student/adult ratios will be good.   The computers are lined up in a way so that it is physically impossible to fit two chairs side-by-side in front of each computer.  Therefore, partners would either need to work with one at the computer and the other sitting over the shoulder (changing roles halfway), or perhaps they could share a single chair side-by-side.

Though I may add my own biases later in this thread, I'll sit back for now and seek the advice of others.  Does anyone have experience leading pair programming with Scratch Thanks for your opinions.

#2 2008-08-27 22:24:11

Juzzy
Scratcher

Re: Pair Programming with Scratch?

First, good luck with the club.
Second, I think there should be 2 kids at one computer. If one doesn't get a concept, the other might and will be able to explain how to do it.

If you are reading this turn around, walk 3 steps, and do the chickendance
smile  big_smile  smile  big_smile  Which smiley is happier?

#3 2008-08-27 23:28:05

Digimath
Scratcher

I found this thread from last year about after-school scratch clubs.  I did not see an answer to your specific question about pair programming but still thought it might be useful.  http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic … 253#p11253.

I've updated my text adventure game.
Colossal Cave 150http://scratch.mit.edu/static/projects/Digimath/3003787_sm.png

#4 2008-08-27 23:52:57

Juzzy
Scratcher

I wish my school had a scratch club.  big_smile 

Code:

I would already know how to code!

#5 2008-08-28 18:06:14

mletreat
Scratcher

We have run workshops with kids working in pairs (or 3 or 4) and it have seen it work successfully.

Having kids work together to problem solve is a great way for them to learn from each other and to get motivated.  It also gives some kids who might be more timid an opportunity to ask questions and learn from their peers rather than in front of a class.  The one thing to watch out for is having one student dominate the project creation and design.  Asking the kids to take turns controlling the mouse is a good idea - that way, you ensure that both will get an opportunity to drive the creation process.

Another thing to try would be to recombine the pairs halfway through so the kids get an opportunity to work with different kids and share different approaches to project design.  It might be a fun way to get them familiar with some of their other classmates as well.

#6 2008-08-28 20:43:38

Juzzy
Scratcher

I agree with mletreat!

#7 2008-09-04 05:45:00

ashbyr1
Scratcher

I use pairs programming routinely for both my school's computer club and for class assignments that I give involving Scratch even though we have enough computers for students to work independently.  We use the "driver/navigator" metaphor to start.  The facilitate that process, I try to make sure that the navigator has a clear task. For example, they hold the reference manual and assignment descriptions.  The quality of work is better and the students are learning social skills along with programming.

Learn the basics with these video tutorials.
Or nominate an All Star Animation.

Board footer