This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2011-01-30 19:55:13

archmage
Scratcher

Archmage's really neato collab

The basic concept behind this collbarotative effort is to create a game similar to pokemon. You can capture monsters battle other monsters and face boss monsters.

C-C-C Current Collaborators:
MiffinTheMuffin
kayybee
mkolpnji
Animagus

Here is a more elaborate description of the project:

archmage wrote:

Just had a eureka moment for a genuinely good game idea.

combine the pokemon-esque RPG elements of this game http://www.matthewhollett.com/favimon/

With the monster creation and some fighting elements of this game http://www.verbatim.jp/senshuken/

To make a very cool Scratch game.

I am going to explain the basics of the game.

You are first given a monster which is made up of the 3 diffrent shapes. You can generate new monsters to fight by entering numbers of shapes and you fight these monsters and capture them.  There are 6 boss monsters you can defeat and a superboss if you defeat the 6 bosses.

To understand what I am talking about you MUST play the games i posted about earlier. These are the elements it is taking and the original elements

Favimon
-collectable monsters
-RPG battle system
-moves based on the type of monster

Verbatim Media Monsters
-Monsters generated from shapes
-Boss monsters
-monsters are upgraded by victories

Original Content
-Superboss monster
-Scratch themes and shapes
-some sort of naming system for the monsters

Now for some concerns I have. This is a tad more complicated that you may be used to so I am not quite sure if you will be able to contribute to the scripting. To give you an idea of what I mean, some RPG elements will be based of the wiki's RPG tutorial http://wiki.scratch.mit.edu/wiki/Turn-Based_RPG. There are still many small functions aside from the battle system that can be made by individuals who possess the talent. Things like monster creation, name generation, move/statistic coding can be done by an indivudual and easily integrated.

Not sure if you want to go with this, but it seems like a prize winning idea.

There are no strict requirements to be a part of the effort, but I do need a certain amount of dedication and this is something you must show. I will give new entrants a simple programming or artistic task which must be completed withing 1 week or the person will not be permitted to be a part of the collab.

For those who want popularity this may be something that would interest you since most projects I am involved in get frontpage. This project if completed will definetely get the front page which may be an incentive for some of you.

I will let people join for a week only. If no one joins by then I will delete this thread and likely work on my next flash project.

The collab name is up for debate by the way... I don't really care what it is.

Last edited by archmage (2011-03-03 17:28:39)

Hi, I am Archmage coder extraordinaire. I do Scratch,pascal,java,php,html, AS2 and AS3. Leave me a message if you want coding advice. Also check out my personal website, lots of good stuff about web development, Flash, and Scratch (v1 and v2) !

#2 2011-01-30 20:48:25

johndo77
Scratcher

Re: Archmage's really neato collab

That is such a good idea. It would be better if it was mine.

Crizapples

#3 2011-01-30 20:51:35

archmage
Scratcher

johndo77 wrote:

That is such a good idea. It would be better if it was mine.

So you do or don't want to collaborate?

Hi, I am Archmage coder extraordinaire. I do Scratch,pascal,java,php,html, AS2 and AS3. Leave me a message if you want coding advice. Also check out my personal website, lots of good stuff about web development, Flash, and Scratch (v1 and v2) !

#4 2011-01-30 20:52:24

kayybee
Scratcher

I would love to work on this, but I already have my own... If we are allowed to join two, I would join this one.

#5 2011-01-30 21:03:15

archmage
Scratcher

kayybee wrote:

I would love to work on this, but I already have my own... If we are allowed to join two, I would join this one.

If you get tired of the slow slow progress on yours consider joining this one.

I can modify these
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/archmage/1235930
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/archmage/182422

In less than a day which would produce a more playable game than the pokemon zero thread in 30 pages of posts (unless they have a secret demo). I have a very good understanding of the game's script design in my head and would be more than happy to explain it to you.

This has the potential to be a flash quality project. This type of project is ideal for Scratch, 0 lag and really neat and fun and I have the ability to get it done.

#6 2011-01-30 21:19:30

MiffinTheMuffin
Scratcher

I'll join.

http://i.imgur.com/FDvbV.png

#7 2011-01-30 21:40:53

archmage
Scratcher

MiffinTheMuffin wrote:

I'll join.

Fantastic, please tell me what you would like to contribute.

The core roles I have thought up are:

RPG engine programmer - Archmage
Monster Designer *(monster mostly made of symbols, many monsters but only based on a few designs which changes to colour and size.)
Statistic/moveset developer
graphic artist

A person can do 1 or more of these things.

Please say what you want to do and I'll assign you a task which must be completed in a week for you to stay in.

Last edited by archmage (2011-01-30 21:43:13)

#8 2011-01-30 21:42:13

MiffinTheMuffin
Scratcher

archmage wrote:

MiffinTheMuffin wrote:

I'll join.

Monster Designer *(monster mostly made of symbols, many monsters but only based on a few designs.)
graphic artist

Please say what you want to do and I'll assign you a task which must be completed in a week for you to stay in.

Hmm... maybe monster designer?

#9 2011-01-30 21:54:08

archmage
Scratcher

MiffinTheMuffin wrote:

archmage wrote:

MiffinTheMuffin wrote:

I'll join.

Monster Designer *(monster mostly made of symbols, many monsters but only based on a few designs.)
graphic artist

Ah that is an important role, I will tell you some details on this.

This involes making the monsters that are mostly made up of shapes.
see this for a very simple example http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/archtest/1564516

In the game, the user can generate monsters by entering the power level of each part (pinwheel, moon, squiggle) and the monster type. In the game the parts determine what moves the monster has and the type determines what its best statistics are.

There are other aspects of the monster system but that is basically what the monster designer needs to know.

Now, a heres a task you can do: Make a 1 sprite 1 script project that creates a monster out of these shapes. The only costumes you should have are the shapes which will be stamped to create the monster.

let me know if you need clarification, basically make something like this -> http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/archtest/1564516
Just stamp the shapes instead of having them as sprites.

Last edited by archmage (2011-01-30 21:55:51)

#10 2011-01-30 22:00:11

MiffinTheMuffin
Scratcher

archmage wrote:

MiffinTheMuffin wrote:

archmage wrote:

graphic artist

Ah that is an important role, I will tell you some details on this.

This involes making the monsters that are mostly made up of shapes.
see this for a very simple example http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/archtest/1564516

In the game, the user can generate monsters by entering the power level of each part (pinwheel, moon, squiggle) and the monster type. In the game the parts determine what moves the monster has and the type determines what its best statistics are.

There are other aspects of the monster system but that is basically what the monster designer needs to know.

Now, a heres a task you can do: Make a 1 sprite 1 script project that creates a monster out of these shapes. The only costumes you should have are the shapes which will be stamped to create the monster.

let me know if you need clarification, basically make something like this -> http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/archtest/1564516
Just stamp the shapes instead of having them as sprites.

How big should they be?

#11 2011-01-30 22:03:07

archmage
Scratcher

As big as you would like them to be, don't worry about details like that right now just show me what you can come up with.

#12 2011-01-30 22:12:37

kayybee
Scratcher

archmage wrote:

kayybee wrote:

If you get tired of the slow slow progress on yours consider joining this one.

I can modify these
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/archmage/1235930
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/archmage/182422

In less than a day which would produce a more playable game than the pokemon zero thread in 30 pages of posts (unless they have a secret demo). I have a very good understanding of the game's script design in my head and would be more than happy to explain it to you.

This has the potential to be a flash quality project. This type of project is ideal for Scratch, 0 lag and really neat and fun and I have the ability to get it done.

I have seen all your works and you have inspired me since I joined...

I know what you can do...

But I have already created a lot...

Is it worth it?

We only have 10 days left...

I'll decide later...

#13 2011-01-30 22:31:16

MiffinTheMuffin
Scratcher

#14 2011-01-30 22:49:05

archmage
Scratcher

I like that initiative, that is the sort of thing that will be used in the project to create the monsters. The monsters will also need a mouth and eyes so those symbols can be costumes as well.

Thats all I need from you for now, I will have more details later.

#15 2011-01-30 23:05:06

kayybee
Scratcher

Okay, I'll help.

Al that work for nothing...

But I'll work on this.

Can I do stats/moveset?

#16 2011-01-30 23:43:16

archmage
Scratcher

You can probally do both if you want, just wait for the scratch team to clear things up.

The person doing stats/moveset can't do too much until the RPG system is done.

The plan is to have like 100 diffrent moves and moves are given to monsters based on their part strenght. Not 100% sure what the stats will be, maybe you can come up with some ideas.

#17 2011-01-30 23:58:10

kayybee
Scratcher

okay, programming for now.

Can I makes few monsters along the way?

And are all monsters using all of the three pics, or just at least one?
Also, you should make types for them, so different colors...

Btw, what you said about pokemon zero is pretty true, but mainly they were just discussing ideas waiting for me to finish their map request.

So, i think there should be types, maybe 5 and 20 or 10 moves to each type, and around 5-10 monsters for each type.

What's the name of the species of monster?
Like pokemon, digimon... General name that applies to all
or is it just monster?

Maybe add several elements of pokemon:
maps and where you move around
healing items
bonus after defeating boss (gym, you get a tm)

Last edited by kayybee (2011-01-31 00:30:42)

#18 2011-01-31 08:07:23

archmage
Scratcher

Ok, it seems like you want more details so here they are.

kayybee wrote:

okay, programming for now.

Can I makes few monsters along the way? //I suppose, there aren't too many though. Maybe you can help with the bosses which are not going to be collectable monsters.

And are all monsters using all of the three pics, or just at least one? //All 3
Also, you should make types for them, so different colors...
//Yes, they will change colour based on their power level

Btw, what you said about pokemon zero is pretty true, but mainly they were just discussing ideas waiting for me to finish their map request.
// 30 pages of ideas is way to much for nothing to show for it IMO

So, i think there should be types, maybe 5 and 20 or 10 moves to each type, and around 5-10 monsters for each type.
//I already thought this out pretty well. How it works is the type of monster determines its stats while the symbols it is made of determines its moveset. This isn't set in stone  though.

What's the name of the species of monster?
Like pokemon, digimon... General name that applies to all
or is it just monster?
//No idea yet, you can make it up if you want even if its just something like scratchymon.

Note*
I was planning on having the names of monsters generated based on what the monster is. So a bird type with 1 moon, 2 pinwheels and 3 squiggles would be named

burundostre
bur is for bird type, un is french for 1, dos is spanish for 2, tre is italian for 3.

The colour and size of the diffrent symbols is altered by their power setting.

Maybe add several elements of pokemon:
// There will be types but not sure if I want to put in a stenght/weakness system in because it may make things too complicated.
maps and where you move around
//Actually I was planning on making it more like favimon, you don't really walk around you just go and collect and fight and stuff. Maps would add a lot of content which I am not sure we can handle. We need to draw the maps (which is always a hassle) then come up with diffrent areas. This isn't really going to be a long game like pokemon so I don't know if putting in maps is justified.

healing items
// Sounds reasonable
bonus after defeating boss (gym, you get a tm)
// a tm sounds like a good reward, I'll see what other ideas come up along the way.

How I imagined gameplay is kind of like this: there is just a random battle button and you fight those monsters and collect them and stuff. There is also a reward thingy that lets you bring forth a monster that you choose (you set the type and symbol settings).

Last edited by archmage (2011-01-31 08:26:26)

#19 2011-01-31 16:06:31

archmage
Scratcher

The monsters will be made using lists and stamping

I made a monster creation program http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/archtest/1569529

I need the monsters in list format like this to conserve space and customize the monsters based on level.

#20 2011-01-31 19:00:38

MiffinTheMuffin
Scratcher

monpart_rot

monpart_shape

monpart_size

monpart_x

monpart_y

#21 2011-01-31 20:09:21

kayybee
Scratcher

How about pokemon-ish?

Like there are different places with different types, and each place has it's own boss, and you can go from place to place...
then there will be a shop place...
and then a superboss place...

#22 2011-01-31 20:47:29

archmage
Scratcher

kayybee wrote:

How about pokemon-ish?

Like there are different places with different types, and each place has it's own boss, and you can go from place to place...
then there will be a shop place...
and then a superboss place...

Problem with that is time, that would require a whole new game mechanic. I would like this to mainly a point and click game, perhaps in a sequel it will have a walk around character.

One thing thart could happen is the sort of questing featured in the point and click rpg adventure quest http://www.battleon.com . You go into a castle with a set series of monsters to kill until the boss. Even that seems art heavy and waiting for art may put progress on this to a halt and I really want to avoid that.

#23 2011-01-31 20:57:12

archmage
Scratcher

MiffinTheMuffin wrote:

design

Thats pretty good, but I think that the monsters should use all of the shapes, so maybe put a windmill and moon behind the squiggles?

Also when you make a monster say what its strong point is (ie strenght, health, defence) and the type of monster (bird, brawler, ect)

Last edited by archmage (2011-01-31 20:58:28)

#24 2011-01-31 21:02:26

MiffinTheMuffin
Scratcher

archmage wrote:

MiffinTheMuffin wrote:

design

Thats pretty good, but I think that the monsters should use all of the shapes, so maybe put a windmill and moon behind the squiggles?

Also when you make a monster say what its strong point is (ie strenght, health, defence) and the type of monster (bird, brawler, ect)

Okay.

#25 2011-01-31 21:04:49

MiffinTheMuffin
Scratcher

Shape:

Rot:

Size:
X:

Y:

Its good with health and it is ghost type.

Board footer