This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#51 2008-06-17 16:01:34

ilovescratch1
Scratcher

Re: ITopic: Scratch Secrets

Natalie wrote:

Here's a list of tips and shortcuts from the Scratch programming team.

SPRITES
* Find a sprite: To show a sprite that's off the screen or hidden, Shift+click on its thumbnail in the sprite list (bottom right-corner of screen) - this will bring the sprite to the middle and show it.
- To turn a costume into a separate sprite, right-click (Mac Ctrl+click) and select "turn into a sprite".
- Drag the blue line on sprite thumbnail (in the middle of the screen) to rotate the sprite.
- To rotate a sprite from the stage, shift+click on the sprite.
- Shortcut to get a sprite to "point in direction 90": double-click on sprite thumbnail in the top middle of the screen.
- To delete a sprite, use the Scissors tool (or Right-click and choose "delete")
- To delete multiple sprites, Shift+click with the Scissors (it won't revert to the arrow)
-To make multiple copies of a sprite, Shift+click with the Copy tool (it won't revert to the arrow)
-Drag to reorder thumbnails in sprite list (bottom right corner of screen)
-Drag to reorder costumes in the Costume tab area
-To make a sprite that looks like part of the background, Right-click (Mac Ctrl+click) the stage to grab a portion of the image on the stage.

BLOCKS AND SCRIPTS
- To copy a stack of blocks from one sprite to another, drag the stack to the thumbnail of the other sprite (at the bottom right corner of the screen).
-To clean up the script area, right-click (Mac Ctrl+click) in Scripts area.
-Get help for any block: right-click (Mac Ctrl+click) on the block
- You can fit some blocks within other blocks. For example, you can put any Number or Sensing blocks with curved edges inside a "switch to costume" block or any block that has a white number or text area.
- Want to get the current x-y of a sprite? Click on the Motion category to update the x-y numbers in the glide and go-to blocks in the palette.

PAINT EDITOR
- To crop an image, outline it with the Selection tool, then Shift+delete (or Shift+backspace)
- To rotate part of a costume, use the selection tool, then click the left or right Rotate button (curved arrows).
- To rotate more precisely: Shift+click on the left or right Rotate button. It will let you enter a # of degrees to rotate
- Grow or shrink more precisely: Shift+click on the Grow or Shrink button (arrows pointing out or in). It will let you enter a % size for a costume
- To stamp multiple times, press Shift while using the Stamp tool.
- Press Shift with the Rectangle tool to make a square.
- Press Shift with the Oval tool to make a circle.
- Press Shift with Line tool to make a straight horizontal or vertical line.
- Press Shift key when clicking on a color square to change the other color.
- To pick up a color from outside the paint editor, select the Eyedropper tool, click in the Paint editor, then drag while holding down the mouse key.

REPORTERS & VARIABLES
- Check boxes to show monitors on stage
- Click a monitor to toggle between options (hide monitor name, show slider)

KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS (some of these are repeats with above)
-To delete multiple sprites, Shift+ click with the Scissors tool (it won't revert to the arrow).
- To make multiple copies of a sprite, Shift+click with Copy tool (it won't revert to the arrow).
- Ctrl+S to save your project.

OTHER
- You can drag multiple images at once into Scratch. They will become costumes within a sprite.
- You can drag in an animated GIF.
- You can drag in images from a web browser, Word, and some other programs (on Windows).
- You can drag in a Scratch project from a file folder.

I think I'm gonna explode.

It's true. I do love Scratch.
Cool! That was rainbow text! (Forum glitch  tongue )

#52 2008-06-17 16:05:28

ilovescratch1
Scratcher

likegames wrote:

phiggins wrote:

How do you programmatically clear the stage

nobody really obviously wrote:

make a blank costume and switch to that.

Make a blank BACKGROUND.

#53 2008-06-22 16:23:14

computerprincess
Scratcher

natalie wrote:

SPRITES
* Find a sprite: To show a sprite that's off the screen or hidden, Shift+click on its thumbnail in the sprite list (bottom right-corner of screen) - this will bring the sprite to the middle and show it.
- To turn a costume into a separate sprite, right-click (Mac Ctrl+click) and select "turn into a sprite".
- Drag the blue line on sprite thumbnail (in the middle of the screen) to rotate the sprite.
- Shortcut to get a sprite to "point in direction 90": double-click on sprite thumbnail in the top middle of the screen.
- To delete a sprite, use the Scissors tool (or Right-click and choose "delete")
- To delete multiple sprites, Shift+click with the Scissors (it won't revert to the arrow)
-To make multiple copies of a sprite, Shift+click with the Copy tool (it won't revert to the arrow)
-To make a sprite that looks like part of the background, Right-click (Mac Ctrl+click) the stage to grab a portion of the image on the stage.

BLOCKS AND SCRIPTS
- To copy a stack of blocks from one sprite to another, drag the stack to the thumbnail of the other sprite (at the bottom right corner of the screen).
- You can fit some blocks within other blocks. For example, you can put any Number or Sensing blocks with curved edges inside a "switch to costume" block or any block that has a white number or text area.
- Want to get the current x-y of a sprite? Click on the Motion category to update the x-y numbers in the glide and go-to blocks in the palette.

PAINT EDITOR
- To crop an image, outline it with the Selection tool, then Shift+delete (or Shift+backspace)
- To rotate part of a costume, use the selection tool, then click the left or right Rotate button (curved arrows).
- To rotate more precisely: Shift+click on the left or right Rotate button. It will let you enter a # of degrees to rotate
- Grow or shrink more precisely: Shift+click on the Grow or Shrink button (arrows pointing out or in). It will let you enter a % size for a costume
- To pick up a color from outside the paint editor, select the Eyedropper tool, click in the Paint editor, then drag while holding down the mouse key.

REPORTERS & VARIABLES

-To delete multiple sprites, Shift+ click with the Scissors tool (it won't revert to the arrow).
- To make multiple copies of a sprite, Shift+click with Copy tool (it won't revert to the arrow).

OTHER
- You can drag multiple images at once into Scratch. They will become costumes within a sprite.
- You can drag in an animated gif.
- You can drag in images from a web browser, Word, and some other programs (on Windows).

Thanks. i just converted to a Mac, and this really helps!
smile

#54 2008-06-26 22:21:00

mrguy740
Scratcher

natalie wrote:

To turn a costume into a separate sprite, right-click (Mac Ctrl+click) and select "turn into a sprite".

WOAH I didn't know that was how you right clicked on macs! Its been keeping me from playing some games for years!

Last edited by mrguy740 (2008-06-26 22:21:20)

The imagination exercises a powerful influence over every act of sense, thought, reason, over every idea. Latin Proverb

#55 2008-06-26 23:12:21

AlanProjects
Scratcher

manveer wrote:

how do u copy a sprite on to another program like paint?
ugh, scratch is soooooooooo confusing!

No it isn't!

#56 2008-07-05 18:11:14

lucien
Scratcher

natalie wrote:

SPRITES

BLOCKS AND SCRIPTS

PAINT EDITOR

REPORTERS & VARIABLES

OTHER

will it have multiple cotsumes from the animation? roll

If you want to see my "Next generation" projects, go to
LucienX's Page. SEMPER FI, and LucienX out!

#57 2008-07-05 18:16:27

lucien
Scratcher

Yes. <_>

#58 2008-07-05 18:19:59

lucien
Scratcher

Scratch can now use .MIDIs! smile

#59 2008-07-06 15:00:49

ilovescratch1
Scratcher

lucien wrote:

Scratch can now use .MIDIs! smile

Does that mean a new version of Scratch came out! Ooh I gotta see!

#60 2008-07-09 10:52:39

DrSuper
Scratcher

Yes I need to say if x1, ..xn then y1 if z1,..., zm then y2 etc. and x1, x2 etc. are not in a range. You can open my Game Susa. After you play with it! And see what I have done. A bit messy and I had to break up the code but I found a logical (if not optimal) way of implmenting it.
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/DrSuper/206349

#61 2008-07-14 12:34:05

karx
Scratcher

Cool I never relised there was so many shortcuts

#62 2008-07-15 12:02:48

zachandrew0123
Scratcher

natalie wrote:

SPRITES

BLOCKS AND SCRIPTS

PAINT EDITOR

REPORTERS & VARIABLES

OTHER

yay!!! finally a faster way

#63 2008-07-27 00:23:57

mangahedgie
Scratcher

Yeah, hey. does anyone know how tomake a sprite jump and land on another sprite, like a piece of 'floating land'? i sprite is having throwing a fit and im getting spazzy.

#64 2008-07-27 14:45:06

ilovescratch1
Scratcher

likegames wrote:

phiggins wrote:

How do you programmatically clear the stage

nobody really obviously wrote:

make a blank costume and switch to that.

I just X the colored background.

#65 2008-08-13 19:15:26

DrSuper
Scratcher

The problem I have is that I have my 1023 possibilities divided into some 60 groups and there is nor range for these groups for example 1, 15, 17,.., 971 can be one group and 2, 4, 91, ... 287 another group.
so I want to say if
Case Board Count in(2, 4, 91, ..., 271)
  Do X
case Board Count in (1,15,, 17,...,971)
  Do Y
Wish full thinking;=>

#66 2008-08-15 19:29:51

VNilla
Scratcher

Does anyone know how to make a sprite with a ghost effect stamp and stamp the ghost effect? For example, I can have code like this (the sprite is a small red circle):

[blocks]<set[ ghost ]effect to( 99 <go to x sad 0 )y sad 0<stamp>[/blocks]

and get the effect of this:

[blocks]<go to x sad 0 )y sad 0<stamp>[/blocks]

Notice how the ghost effect just disappears. Is there any way to keep it around? I desperately need this ability for a big project and I can't seem to get around it! Aaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Last edited by VNilla (2008-08-15 19:33:23)

#67 2008-08-15 19:35:52

Bluestribute
Scratcher

VNilla wrote:

Does anyone know how to make a sprite with a ghost effect stamp and stamp the ghost effect? For example, I can have code like this (the sprite is a small red circle):

[blocks]<set[ ghost ]effect to( 99 <go to x sad 0 )y sad 0<stamp>[/blocks]

and get the effect of this:

[blocks]<go to x sad 0 )y sad 0<stamp>[/blocks]

Notice how the ghost effect just disappears. Is there any way to keep it around? I desperately need this ability for a big project and I can't seem to get around it! Aaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Everybody! This might be in the wrong place, but i guess it is also a secret!

Ok, no, you can't. You can however have a sprite over to create the ghost effect, but not while stamping (or what i do is create a black sprite, and set it's ghost effect to like 80 to make everything darker. You can use other colors though, Look at my Corridor thing).

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/1204/bluestributett4.jpg
That's my PSN ID. I know tons of COD4 glitches. Add me as your friend. Oh, and get a headset

#68 2008-08-17 05:35:04

popothebird
Scratcher

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii no idea sorry

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii bye

#69 2008-12-20 22:57:26

ferret10
Scratcher

All of a sudden, Scratch got easier.  Great tips!

A must-see animation about the Scratch cat! http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/ferret10/364723 ¡uʍopǝpısdn ǝdʎʇ uɐɔ ı

#70 2008-12-20 23:37:22

DarthPickley
Scratcher

kakaxolotl wrote:

How do I make an animated GIF move? Everytime I import a GIF it dosen't move. Is it impossible to make it move? If so how? Am I asking too many questions?  roll

Well, have you made any scripts to animate it? like
<when green flag clicked>
<forever>
<next costume>
<end>
???  I can't wait to import a bunch of spore .gifs! I never knew a lot of these things before.

Also: Shift-click "extras". you can then click "set single stepping", and "turbo speed" to be really fast!!!!

Last edited by DarthPickley (2008-12-20 23:38:06)

#71 2009-01-09 10:59:23

NXTGeek
Scratcher

add a wait block in there to make the animation move more slowly.

[b]If you have a bunch of isometric images in a rotation sequence, here is a greate tip[/b[

You can use a calculation to make your sprite look like its pointing in its direction, but it looks 3D! ( hmm  unfortunatly it isn't really 3D though...)

http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/NXTGeek/293561
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/NXTGeek/360875

Its a lot easier to see in the first project.

1. Set your sprite so that it does not transfor the sprite to look like its pointing in its direction. It is that bottum of three buttons that are located below the open button and to the left of the mini representation of the sprites current image.

2. Import the animated .GIF of the rotation sequence.

3. Use the script in the shown project, it goes something like this:

Code:

S = custume_number
loop forever
{
switch_costume_to(direction*-1+90*S/360)
}

"S" being the number of costumes. See the projects fr exact scripts.

I hope this helps  smile

Last edited by NXTGeek (2009-01-09 11:01:28)

#72 2009-01-17 17:15:39

floppy_gunk
Scratcher

You should write about 'turbo speed': Shift-clicking on 'Extras'.

Last edited by floppy_gunk (2009-01-17 17:16:08)

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/1917/2856lg.jpg Get it now!  smile

#73 2009-02-10 15:23:45

enri16
Scratcher

natalie wrote:

SPRITES

BLOCKS AND SCRIPTS

PAINT EDITOR

REPORTERS & VARIABLES

OTHER

Can you write the list in spanish?

#74 2009-03-04 07:12:19

bosox397
Scratcher

sausagestand wrote:

yeah but if you drag an animated GIF into scratch the costume looks weird because it like "stamps" all the costumes on top of each other

no it doesn't...it makes them all seperate costumes

Dear Scratch Users,
I'm done with scratch, or at least making projects. I have made one last big game, thats both fun and teaches a lesson about water. It'd mean a lot if you gave me feedback.                              http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/bosox397/569201

#75 2009-03-04 12:08:32

NXTGeek
Scratcher

scratch can use midi's?! sweet! i'm going to try that.

Board footer