This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2007-10-04 04:37:18

apf500
Scratcher

Schemes of Work

Anyone got a scheme of work which they use for Scratch. This looks much more interesing than CoCo or the equivalent Flowol. Would really engage kids I think. I am really looking for a scheme that someone has used successsfully with lower ability kids. Most of mine fall within the Level 4 range for English and Maths at Year 8 level (UK) Any help would be really appreciated by a new ICT teacher! Thanks

Alex

#2 2007-10-15 15:19:28

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

Re: Schemes of Work

We don't know of specific people doing that kind of work but this is a great opportunity for you to be a pioneer on this area. I'd encourage you to try Scratch in this environment and tell us how it goes.

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#3 2007-10-15 22:58:59

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

I have no idea what a "scheme of work" is. Could you explain the concept to us?
I looked it up on Wikipedia, and the term seems to mean something between a syllabus and a fully detailed set of lesson plans.

I have not yet seen a detailed curriculum for using Scratch. Since I am teaching it on a student-driven basis in a drop-in afterschool Tech Club, I'm unlikely to come up with one. I can barely get the students to pay attention to me for 5 minutes, but they are engrossed in their drawing and game creation and ask a lot of good questions driven by the particular animation or game action they are trying to create.

#4 2008-04-04 11:06:34

eztiger
Scratcher

Your post was a long time ago now but I'm looking to do the same - Year 7s, fairly mixed ability.  Get in touch if you like.

By the way a scheme of work is just a medium-term plan for a unit of work (a topic) that will cover many lessons or weeks, usually a half-term (in UK schools we have 3 terms rather than 2 semesters)  Usually it is used by a whole department (in this case ICT).  It will usually include objectives, outcomes and pupil tasks for each lesson.  In the UK we have to produce them, along with individual lesson plans, long-term plans, etc, usually just so other people can check up on us...

#5 2008-05-05 11:53:20

tsangari
Scratcher

As a beginner teacher in the UK, we have premièred this software on our Year 8 and 9s this year - I too was searching for lesson plans and it seems we're the first ones in the world looking to create one.

We've started off by telling the kids to complete the Scratch Cards available to download here. I gave them the sporting chance to complete all 12 in two lessons, which also tells you where to differentiate for this topic, as some will complete the cards faster than others, and that's if they are on task!

I was looking to get them to now to invent a program, but this is something I'M stuck on myself!

I'll try my very best to contribute by next year!

Last edited by tsangari (2008-05-05 11:56:40)

#6 2008-05-07 08:40:40

Donqui
Scratcher

I have taught Scratch to years 7,8 and 9 now and have an ever changing scheme of works given that my experience is iver 2 schools with vastly different pupils in each (1 a modern comp and 1 a grammar school).

The main objective is to program their own game

Similarly to the person above - I have i used the 1st 2 lessons to familiarise the kids with the program and run through the basics ......

1) Animating - first with the CAT then with a character of their choosing to test learning.
2) Editing - a character with only 1 costume - so how to copy and amend the secongg costume.  I use the helicopter for this.
3) Sensing - by editing background to include an wall on left and right hand side and then getting the sprite to change direction
4) Sensing - by adding a second sprite and getting the main character to talk to it when it hits or soemthing simialar.
5) Broadcast - to intro the kids into sub procedure.

We then run a lesson on planning a game on MS Word.  I give the kids a template and ask them to tell me who the game is aimed at, its genre- what its about - which characters they intend to use etc etc.  This covers "plan and execute" primarily but also draws upon fitness for purpose in terms of audience and purpose (EG if the game is for kids - dont include Alan Titmarsch)

The next lesson/s they program against that plan and  develop their own game.  Give them a couple of lessons on that then run some peer assessments and relect sessions.

#7 2008-07-08 16:15:45

bwcteacher
Scratcher

I've used SCRATCH for Yr 8's instead of FLOWAL they really liked it
I used the material from
http://www.meridianmoodle.com/course/view.php?id=35
many thanks

and I've just found the following SoW

http://www.teachnet-uk.org.uk/2007%20Projects/ICT-Scratch/Scratch/pages/8_schemeofwork.html

#8 2008-08-14 07:15:05

chrjones
Scratcher

I have used the materials located at www.learnscratch.org and found them very helpful. Between the video tutorials and the structured lesson plans, I was able to easily differentiate instruction.  I believe they could easily be adapted to use in a Scheme of Work.

Board footer