This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#2351 2010-11-06 19:19:05

emilypie
Scratcher

Re: Become a Curator on the Scratch Homepage

VanillaCreme wrote:

even though i am new i love scratch and i really would love to be a curator!  big_smile  PS. but i know i am not going to get picked cause i am new   sad    sad   sad  athough i  would love to do oh well  sad

maybe you should look at the above few posts?  smile

"Captain Hammer threw a car at my head." -Dr. Horrible

#2352 2010-11-07 13:32:23

Optimax-DJ
Scratcher

Here is another try (to get the message out  big_smile  ) on proposing to be a curator:

I would like to become a curator because:

1. I would pick projects of all types, music, platformer, animations, art, simulations, and all other general games.

2. I know A LOT of Unknown project creators (just look at my friends list) and I see several new projects each day.

3. I would search through the 'Show and Tell' Article on the Scratch Forums. I would also make a project called 'propose your best projects here' so scratchers can link their and other people's projects for me to explore.

4. With these 2 resources for projects, I will plan to add a new project every twelve hours, giving the picked project about 36 hours on the front page and give it a healthy boost of 300 views.

5. I have been on the scratch website about a year now and I have a good taste of projects ( not just os's  big_smile  ), and will also take into account how many good and deserving projects they have made which shows that they are a good scratcher.

6. I will only pick projects that have less than 100 views, and that have less than 20 love-its. I will however pick projects that are in a series and the predecessor has been curated before. I have seen A LOT of good projects and I knew how I felt when I first published my first OS. (Thanks LS97  big_smile )

7. I will favour and more likely curate projects that run well online (or at least run well online), and make sure that there is no offensive material in them (that's for you, kids), and that they will be exciting to all audiences (not 'Barbie Dress-Up).

8. I will be fair and give each project the same chance (unless it falls into the previous paragraph), regardless who made it. I will not however curate projects where the creator will likely to be mean to his commenters or just not say anything to them.

Those are some of the reasons why I think I should be a curator.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg716/scaled.php?server=716&filename=optimaxdj.jpg&res=medium
Treat others as you would like to be treated  smile

#2353 2010-11-07 13:41:54

kayybee
Scratcher

But my message expanded on it. Also, I've been curator so if you have questions, I can answer any of them.

#2354 2010-11-07 13:47:21

emilypie
Scratcher

kayybee wrote:

But my message expanded on it. Also, I've been curator so if you have questions, I can answer any of them.

ooh! i have a question!  big_smile  i'm going to be curator tomorrow, what time did your shift start when you became curator? my email said "monday evening" and i just want to have a small idea when exactly that might be so that i can make sure i'm home on time.  tongue

#2355 2010-11-07 16:57:09

Optimax-DJ
Scratcher

emilypie wrote:

VanillaCreme wrote:

even though i am new i love scratch and i really would love to be a curator!  big_smile  PS. but i know i am not going to get picked cause i am new   sad    sad   sad  athough i  would love to do oh well  sad

maybe you should look at the above few posts?  smile

I've nearly given up trying to tell them. *sigh*  sad

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg716/scaled.php?server=716&filename=optimaxdj.jpg&res=medium

#2356 2010-11-07 19:43:57

lmvaughan
New Scratcher

could u feature my project maybe

#2357 2010-11-07 19:50:23

emilypie
Scratcher

lmvaughan wrote:

could u feature my project maybe

you can't propose your own projects, get a friend to do it for you.  smile

EDIT: wait a sec; this isn't even the 'propose topics to be featured' thread, why am i saying this?!?!?!? I'M GOING INSANE! xD

Last edited by emilypie (2010-11-07 20:54:14)

#2358 2010-11-07 20:46:18

Birchfall_Fan1
Scratcher

Wow! I'd like to try! I want to try, because I want to share my opinions on projects and share which ones I like. Because I like art so much, maybe I could post my favorite artwork! It'd be cool to find some art I like and be able to see it on the front page! I'd love to be a curator. ^^

Birchfall_Fan1

#2359 2010-11-07 20:53:01

emilypie
Scratcher

Birchfall_Fan1 wrote:

Wow! I'd like to try! I want to try, because I want to share my opinions on projects and share which ones I like. Because I like art so much, maybe I could post my favorite artwork! It'd be cool to find some art I like and be able to see it on the front page! I'd love to be a curator. ^^

Birchfall_Fan1

Ok, so you have a topic: art. that's good. now you need some examples, to show the scratch team you are prepared, and give a good estimate of how many projects, or when you would curate projects, throughout your 2 week shift.  smile

#2360 2010-11-07 21:02:38

Birchfall_Fan1
Scratcher

Thanks for the comment emilypie! Well, you know how people do the "recent art?" Well, since those have a BUNCH of artwork in them I would put some of those up.  I really like Nightfire, Emilypie, and Eliza1's artwork so for my first three I would put some of their art up. Probably every 4 days I would change it to new artist's work.

Birchfall_Fan1

#2361 2010-11-07 22:53:53

kayybee
Scratcher

@emilypie-sorry, i forget little things easily (or don't pay enough attention to remember) but you don't really need a specific time; just favorite three projects like, right now, so tomorrow, you can just check. it should be around 6-7 though... idk.

#2362 2010-11-07 23:03:01

Goliath1
Scratcher

Kayybee, I have heard that if you post enough good videos on YouTube, you will start getting paid to make more videos. Did you get paid when you were curator?

I DO NOT intend to make any profit from this website.

http://8t39t548rug88j.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/imagesft.jpg

#2363 2010-11-07 23:12:22

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Goliath1 wrote:

Kayybee, I have heard that if you post enough good videos on YouTube, you will start getting paid to make more videos. Did you get paid when you were curator?

I DO NOT intend to make any profit from this website.

No one gets paid for their duties to Scratch - curators and moderators do their job out of free will.  smile

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#2364 2010-11-07 23:16:21

kayybee
Scratcher

Yes, jonathanpb is correct. On scratch, the only money on here is the virtual currency on the TBGs, and the money donated to Scratch. Being curator is a privilege, and so is mod, so no one gets paid.

#2365 2010-11-07 23:32:04

Goliath1
Scratcher

That's what I thought. Thank You!
What is a moderator? How do you become one?

#2366 2010-11-07 23:44:30

kayybee
Scratcher

A moderator is a person that moderates* the scratch website.
Community moderators moderate the whole website,
forum moderators moderate the forums,
and
TBG moderators moderate the TBG forums.

*moderate-moderators make sure the scratch website has no spam, junk, or things that go against the terms of use and help many scratchers. They have powers (weird word for normal people, huh?) like: closing threads, deleting posts, editing posts, editing posts of closed topics, and other stuff... to become a moderator, you must have certain requirements, (like must be scratcher, must be over 14 (they just added that one), must show help in the forums and website), and of course, they have to be elected.
There are several spots of moderator open every year, so more people can become moderator.
Any other questions?
You can read this thread by coolstuff (a current moderator) to learn much more about moderators and moderating. http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=47917

#2367 2010-11-07 23:45:37

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

Goliath1 wrote:

That's what I thought. Thank You!
What is a moderator? How do you become one?

Hey Goliath1, moderators are usually chosen via an election process involving both the Scratch Team and Scratch community. You can learn more about community moderators and how they are chosen heresmile

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#2368 2010-11-08 11:19:05

Goliath1
Scratcher

I'm 18. Do I have to have parent permission?

#2369 2010-11-08 13:38:30

kayybee
Scratcher

Yes, you must have parent permission. Also, try to refrain from giving out your age.
You could just say "I'm old enough."

Wait for the fall 2011 election, hopefully you'll have become a scratcher by then, and have more posts, be very helpful... and you can run for moderator.

BTW, this is getting pretty off topic...

#2370 2010-11-08 15:59:36

soupoftomato
Scratcher

kayybee wrote:

Yes, you must have parent permission. Also, try to refrain from giving out your age.
You could just say "I'm old enough."

Wait for the fall 2011 election, hopefully you'll have become a scratcher by then, and have more posts, be very helpful... and you can run for moderator.

BTW, this is getting pretty off topic...

He's at the age where he 's considered an "adult" and I doubt they would ask him for parental permission, unless they really wanted to confirm it.

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#2371 2010-11-08 16:44:02

Optimax-DJ
Scratcher

Here is another try (to get the message out  big_smile  ) on proposing to be a curator:

I would like to become a curator because:

1. I would pick projects of all types, music, platformer, animations, art, simulations, and all other general games.

2. I know A LOT of Unknown project creators (just look at my friends list) and I see several new projects each day.

3. I would search through the 'Show and Tell' Article on the Scratch Forums. I would also make a project called 'propose your best projects here' so scratchers can link their and other people's projects for me to explore.

4. With these 2 resources for projects, I will plan to add a new project every twelve hours, giving the picked project about 36 hours on the front page and give it a healthy boost of 300 views.

5. I have been on the scratch website about a year now and I have a good taste of projects ( not just os's  big_smile  ), and will also take into account how many good and deserving projects they have made which shows that they are a good scratcher.

6. I will only pick projects that have less than 100 views, and that have less than 20 love-its. I will however pick projects that are in a series and the predecessor has been curated before. I have seen A LOT of good projects and I knew how I felt when I first published my first OS. (Thanks LS97  big_smile )

7. I will favour and more likely curate projects that run well online (or at least run well online), and make sure that there is no offensive material in them (that's for you, kids), and that they will be exciting to all audiences (not 'Barbie Dress-Up).

8. I will be fair and give each project the same chance (unless it falls into the previous paragraph), regardless who made it. I will not however curate projects where the creator will likely to be mean to his commenters or just not say anything to them.

Those are some of the reasons why I think I should be a curator.

#2372 2010-11-08 16:51:00

emilypie
Scratcher

kayybee wrote:

@emilypie-sorry, i forget little things easily (or don't pay enough attention to remember) but you don't really need a specific time; just favorite three projects like, right now, so tomorrow, you can just check. it should be around 6-7 though... idk.

ok, i know i'm home on time now anyway. xD (just walked through the door!)

#2373 2010-11-08 16:52:39

emilypie
Scratcher

oh, and everyone, lets get this thread back on topic, eh?  big_smile

#2374 2010-11-08 17:26:58

-iNetMaster-
Scratcher

I would like to be curator.
I would choose unrecognized projects(not mine, of course!) that I feel the Scratch Community would like. Such as art, 3D, Platformers, and other projects such as music or animation.

That is why I want to be curator.

#2375 2010-11-08 19:59:31

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

-iNetMaster- wrote:

I would like to be curator.
I would choose unrecognized projects(not mine, of course!) that I feel the Scratch Community would like. Such as art, 3D, Platformers, and other projects such as music or animation.

That is why I want to be curator.

Nice simple concise speech that gets to the point.  smile  Good luck!

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

Board footer