This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2010-11-01 18:11:11

MusicTube
New Scratcher

Music Tube

Hello one and all. This is Mike, and I am here with Music Tube. Music Tube will bring some of the best music to Scratch for one and all to listen and use. I will save you all the time of ripping it from YouTube, etc.

I do not own any of the music it belongs to its copyrighted owners, etc.

Thank you all.

#2 2010-11-03 04:19:58

lyly10388
New Scratcher

Re: Music Tube

Thanks you for the post.

#3 2010-11-03 19:38:32

kinker
Scratcher

MusicTube wrote:

Hello one and all. This is Mike, and I am here with Music Tube. Music Tube will bring some of the best music to Scratch for one and all to listen and use. I will save you all the time of ripping it from YouTube, etc.

I do not own any of the music it belongs to its copyrighted owners, etc.

Thank you all.

Bring me the whole happy tree freinds theme song!

Put in the weirdness: http://i54.tinypic.com/zl6fph.pnghttp://img821.imageshack.us/i/gobanim2.gif/kinker style! [url]http://internetometer.com/image/16724.png[/url]♬♫ 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature. ♫♪

#4 2010-11-03 20:07:25

fullmoon
Retired Community Moderator

Hey MusicTube,

It's great that you want to share with the Scratch community -- that's what it's for, after all. It is legal, under US "Fair Use" law, to share projects that contain copyrighted material, such as a song. But you should be aware that such projects are protected mainly because they are "derivatives" or the original song, meaning that they improve upon or complement the song in some way. In other words, we'd like to encourage Scratchers to add their own ideas, scripts, and drawings to the music (or the other way around) rather than just using empty Scratch projects as a way to share music. So find creative ways to use the songs!

Thanks for reading my ramblings and keep Scratching.

(By the way, Scratch Resources is a more appropriate way to share individual songs, although they discourage uploading copyrighted material.)

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn100/fullmoon32/wow.jpg

#5 2010-11-03 20:11:01

militarydudes
Scratcher

fullmoon wrote:

Hey MusicTube,

It's great that you want to share with the Scratch community -- that's what it's for, after all. It is legal, under US "Fair Use" law, to share projects that contain copyrighted material, such as a song. But you should be aware that such projects are protected mainly because they are "derivatives" or the original song, meaning that they improve upon or complement the song in some way. In other words, we'd like to encourage Scratchers to add their own ideas, scripts, and drawings to the music (or the other way around) rather than just using empty Scratch projects as a way to share music. So find creative ways to use the songs! In the meantime, welcome to Scratch, and thanks for reading my ramblings.

(By the way, Scratch Resources is a more appropriate way to share individual songs, although they discourage uploading copyrighted material.)

I was just thinking that, but I realized it must be legal no matter what you include in the project because he's sharing the music to be used in other projects, which are considered "for educational use". So technically, doesn't that protect the project with just music? I'm bad at writing stuff like this...

__m. .m__ KILROY WAS HERE
        U

#6 2010-11-03 20:17:18

12three
Scratcher

#7 2010-11-03 20:59:50

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

militarydudes wrote:

fullmoon wrote:

Hey MusicTube,

It's great that you want to share with the Scratch community -- that's what it's for, after all. It is legal, under US "Fair Use" law, to share projects that contain copyrighted material, such as a song. But you should be aware that such projects are protected mainly because they are "derivatives" or the original song, meaning that they improve upon or complement the song in some way. In other words, we'd like to encourage Scratchers to add their own ideas, scripts, and drawings to the music (or the other way around) rather than just using empty Scratch projects as a way to share music. So find creative ways to use the songs! In the meantime, welcome to Scratch, and thanks for reading my ramblings.

I was just thinking that, but I realized it must be legal no matter what you include in the project because he's sharing the music to be used in other projects, which are considered "for educational use". So technically, doesn't that protect the project with just music? I'm bad at writing stuff like this...

To make a long story short, Fair Use laws, covers distribution of derivative works, but it does not doesn't cover distribution of unmodified copyrighted works. It is very likely that projects purely with the intent of distributing copyrighted music may not be considered derivative works and thus not covered by Fair Use law.

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

Board footer