This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.
  • Index
  •  » FAQ
  •  » Chronicles of a Moderator: Moderating & the Responsibilities Involved

#51 2010-10-22 19:34:55

rufflebee
Scratcher

Re: Chronicles of a Moderator: Moderating & the Responsibilities Involved

platform710 wrote:

I know, off topic, but I think this thread has been misplaced. Good description BTW  smile

There's no need to post about it here; just report it.

http://i44.tinypic.com/34e9cab.png

#52 2010-10-22 22:09:10

coolstuff
Community Moderator

rufflebee wrote:

platform710 wrote:

I know, off topic, but I think this thread has been misplaced. Good description BTW  smile

There's no need to post about it here; just report it.

Indeed... Looks like it's been moved at this point though.  wink

#53 2010-10-23 08:59:19

coolstuff
Community Moderator

And we've moved this to FAQ for the time being.  smile

#54 2010-10-23 10:05:47

m71134
Scratcher

Wow, that's really awesome! It really describes what moderating is about.

#55 2010-10-26 16:13:46

gnk2200
Scratcher

Great job, coolstuff! You're a good writer. I still wish I could run, though...

#56 2010-10-27 11:58:42

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

S65 wrote:

gettysburg11 wrote:

coolstuff wrote:

It looks exactly like all the other forums, really... Nothing terribly special about it.  wink

Seems like it should have some kind of secret aura because only you guys can see it.  lol

Coolstuff enters the secret underground chamber, smoking a cigar. Nervously, he dusts off his suit and stands at attention. A man, wearing a black hat, is sitting in a chair, concealed in the shadows.

"Ya called, sir?" Coolstuff says, in his typical Brooklyn accent.

The man turns his chair around to face Coolstuff. He is a slightly pudgy Hispanic man, wearing sunglasses the same color as his greying hair, complete with a bushy mustache. His gaze penetrates into Coolstuff's heart, inspiring both fear and awe at the same time. He is Don Andres, the boss.

Don Andres says nothing, but instead snaps his fingers. Two other men step out from the shadows, whom Coolstuff had not noticed before. One is skinny and tall, yet strangely pale; his dark red, curly hair contrasts strongly with the rest of his appearance. The other is medium height and bald, yet sports a brown handlebar mustache. Both are appropriately muscular for their job, as the personal bodyguards of Don Andres; they are Paddle and Lightnin, respectively.

Andres leans towards Coolstuff. "Coolstuff..." Don Andres starts. "Coolstuff, they've been telling me that you've been a bit...unfaithful. To the cause."

Coolstuff turns pale. "No, Andres...they weren't - "

"Silence, " Andres raises his voice. "Haven't you learned one thing throughout all these years, Coolstuff? When the Don is talking, you don't interrupt him." Coolstuff remains silent, head bowed.  "As I was saying," Don Andres gnarls, "I trusted you, Coolstuff. But your time here is over."

"No, Andres," Coolstuff whimpers, beginning to sweat. "I wouldn't - you couldn't -"

Andres snaps his fingers again. Paddle and Lightnin, having previously stood silent, now advance towards Coolstuff. They move slowly and steadily, like a hawk hunting their prey. And finally, they grab him, and drag him out of the chamber.

Coolstuff was never seen again.

Good writing!  That's not exactly an accurate portrayal of how we usually do things - except in extreme situations - lol  smile

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#57 2010-10-28 17:59:43

gnk2200
Scratcher

Yes, I agree, good writing S65!

#58 2010-10-28 22:09:42

what-the
Scratcher

S65 wrote:

gettysburg11 wrote:

coolstuff wrote:

It looks exactly like all the other forums, really... Nothing terribly special about it.  wink

Seems like it should have some kind of secret aura because only you guys can see it.  lol

Coolstuff enters the secret underground chamber, smoking a cigar. Nervously, he dusts off his suit and stands at attention. A man, wearing a black hat, is sitting in a chair, concealed in the shadows.

"Ya called, sir?" Coolstuff says, in his typical Brooklyn accent.

The man turns his chair around to face Coolstuff. He is a slightly pudgy Hispanic man, wearing sunglasses the same color as his greying hair, complete with a bushy mustache. His gaze penetrates into Coolstuff's heart, inspiring both fear and awe at the same time. He is Don Andres, the boss.

Don Andres says nothing, but instead snaps his fingers. Two other men step out from the shadows, whom Coolstuff had not noticed before. One is skinny and tall, yet strangely pale; his dark red, curly hair contrasts strongly with the rest of his appearance. The other is medium height and bald, yet sports a brown handlebar mustache. Both are appropriately muscular for their job, as the personal bodyguards of Don Andres; they are Paddle and Lightnin, respectively.

Andres leans towards Coolstuff. "Coolstuff..." Don Andres starts. "Coolstuff, they've been telling me that you've been a bit...unfaithful. To the cause."

Coolstuff turns pale. "No, Andres...they weren't - "

"Silence, " Andres raises his voice. "Haven't you learned one thing throughout all these years, Coolstuff? When the Don is talking, you don't interrupt him." Coolstuff remains silent, head bowed.  "As I was saying," Don Andres gnarls, "I trusted you, Coolstuff. But your time here is over."

"No, Andres," Coolstuff whimpers, beginning to sweat. "I wouldn't - you couldn't -"

Andres snaps his fingers again. Paddle and Lightnin, having previously stood silent, now advance towards Coolstuff. They move slowly and steadily, like a hawk hunting their prey. And finally, they grab him, and drag him out of the chamber.

Coolstuff was never seen again.

Gulp...

Good writing Coolstuff and S65

http://imageshack.us/m/64/9034/ddfss.pngMy site
Find someone post count. Click posts under username. Find number of pages. Times that by 40 for min and 60 for max and you have a rough estimate of post count.

#59 2010-11-07 12:57:15

werdna123
Scratcher

[ghostbusters theme]If there's something wrong... In the Scratch forums... Who you gonna call? SPAMBUSTERS![/ghostbusters theme] xD Nice topic, I'd always thought modding would be easy... but once again I was wrong.

#60 2010-11-07 20:04:03

lmvaughan
New Scratcher

how do u get a project featured

#61 2010-11-07 21:11:29

gettysburg11
Scratcher

lmvaughan wrote:

The Scratch Team picks all the featured projects.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh184/mnacmilan/LOGO_ACMILAN-Splash.gif

#62 2010-11-07 23:17:02

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

gettysburg11 wrote:

lmvaughan wrote:

The Scratch Team picks all the featured projects.

And you can recommend projects for featuring here (read the guidelines in the topic post though).

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#63 2010-11-10 18:58:34

XplodingEggs
Scratcher

Very well written! Thanks for writing this, I'll reference this if I consider running in a year  smile

http://i54.tinypic.com/102kqr7.jpg

#64 2010-11-21 06:37:21

Hardmath123
Scratcher

XplodingEggs wrote:

Very well written!

My thoughts exactly.

Hardmaths-MacBook-Pro:~ Hardmath$ sudo make $(whoami) a sandwich

#65 2010-12-25 11:16:17

gettysburg11
Scratcher

Sorry about the bump, but I have a question.

People ask you how much time you spend moderating; does your answer include time spent in the mod forum discussing issues like you mentioned? Also, how much time do you think you spend in the mod forum?

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh184/mnacmilan/LOGO_ACMILAN-Splash.gif

#66 2010-12-25 13:17:01

Wolfie1996
Retired Community Moderator

gettysburg11 wrote:

People ask you how much time you spend moderating; does your answer include time spent in the mod forum discussing issues like you mentioned? Also, how much time do you think you spend in the mod forum?

Ehhh... personally, not much. I only really look over it if there's a new post (it's quite a quiet forum - sometimes, it goes a week with no posts), if I need a reference on a policy on an issue I haven't handled for a while, or if there's something which I feel like reading up on. As for posting there, only about 5% of my total posts are there - I only post if I feel I have something to add to a discussion, have noticed an issue which hasn't been brought up (either at all or for a while) or to answer a question which has been put to me.

There are a few other times I might post, but they don't occur often... most of my time moderating is spent either on the reports or looking through the forums.

"...Jargon - the practice of never calling a spade a spade, when you might instead call it a manual earth-restructing implement..." - Bill Bryson, Mother Tongue

#67 2010-12-29 19:28:18

coolstuff
Community Moderator

gettysburg11 wrote:

I'd like to add onto Wolfie1996's response, but only to say essentially the same thing.  tongue

The moderator's forum isn't a particularly active forum, and people only post there when it's necessary, which, lately, really hasn't been often. If I see an issue arising, I'd report it in the forum, but the discussion only lasts for a few posts at most. There is the rare topic that has more than one page, but with only a handful of members able to see the forum, it's more like the suburbs if Miscellaneous were downtown.

#68 2011-01-04 08:34:12

TheSaint
Scratcher

How fast does the report page fill up? I know that I only report things on occassion, but it seems that if eveyone reported things it would overflow.

Last edited by TheSaint (2011-01-04 08:34:30)

#69 2011-01-04 08:58:37

Wolfie1996
Retired Community Moderator

TheSaint wrote:

How fast does the report page fill up? I know that I only report things on occassion, but it seems that if eveyone reported things it would overflow.

It depends - we use the report page as a communication channel as well as for reports, which fills it up more. For example, if one of us thinks that a topic is in the wrong forum, but not sure which it should go in, we might send a report that says something along the lines of "@anyone - this topic is in Troubleshooting, but it looks a little like a Show and Tell topic due to the first bit. There's a bit at the bottom asking for help with a glitch in another project, though... Should it go in AAS or S&T?". We also use the reports for communicating with specific moderators or the Scratch Team.

Currently, there are no new reports - although, some days, there are 15+ at once, usually in "peak" times (e.g., weekends and in the summer). I'd guess the average reports at once would be 6-ish, although it varies a lot.

I don't always deal with all of the reports that are there - if I'm not sure of how to deal with a report that's come in (for example, if a productive-seeming topic was reported as spam), I leave it, and move on to other reports, or, if there are no other reports, I just browse the forums (there are usually things which are unreported that I find, such as commercial spammers hiding out in a little-used forum).

"...Jargon - the practice of never calling a spade a spade, when you might instead call it a manual earth-restructing implement..." - Bill Bryson, Mother Tongue

#70 2011-01-04 17:07:26

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

An average of six reports? O_o

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#71 2011-01-10 12:11:38

scimonster
Community Moderator

I'm not running for mod.
Too much responsibility.
But after reading this, I realized the sacrifice of others who were willing to moderate the Scratch website.
Thank you coolstuff, cheddargirl, demontheses, fullmoon, JSO, MyRedNeptune, Wolfie1996, the previous mods, and the scratch team.  smile

Last edited by scimonster (2011-04-30 14:06:51)

#72 2011-01-10 12:17:18

scimonster
Community Moderator

Wolfie1996 wrote:

gettysburg11 wrote:

Ehhh... personally, not much. I only really look over it if there's a new post (it's quite a quiet forum - sometimes, it goes a week with no posts), if I need a reference on a policy on an issue I haven't handled for a while, or if there's something which I feel like reading up on. As for posting there, only about 5% of my total posts are there - I only post if I feel I have something to add to a discussion, have noticed an issue which hasn't been brought up (either at all or for a while) or to answer a question which has been put to me.

There are a few other times I might post, but they don't occur often... most of my time moderating is spent either on the reports or looking through the forums.

can we see your posts in the mod forum if we click on your post count?

#73 2011-01-14 17:15:14

coolstuff
Community Moderator

scimonster wrote:

Wolfie1996 wrote:

gettysburg11 wrote:

can we see your posts in the mod forum if we click on your post count?

No, unfortunately you cannot. However, they do count towards our post count.

The only way you can see the posts we make in the moderators' forum is if we move them over here and ask for your opinion - which does happen occasionally.

#74 2011-04-21 14:10:29

VanillaCreme
Scratcher

Wowwww.... That Was Pretty Intesnse!

http://www.prguitarman.com/icon/poptartFINALTINY.gif
http://i49.tinypic.com/6yo39h.png

#75 2011-04-29 19:58:37

forumer
New Scratcher

fastinating story, cool stuff!