This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#2276 2010-10-22 20:17:23

emilypie
Scratcher

Re: Become a Curator on the Scratch Homepage

ScatteredDreams wrote:

InvaderZim8012 wrote:

I would like to become a  curator! The main reason why is because most educational projects dont get as many veiws as humorous ones do and if their on the front page then more people would probably view them!  smile

I didn't know you wanna be curator.  yikes  Good luck! I'd vote for you!  wink

we don't vote for curators...at least, i'm fairly certain we don't. the scratch team just looks at our speeches and chooses the best ones, then you get a message about it, and then you have to email them. or, at least that's what I had to do when i was chosen.  tongue

"Captain Hammer threw a car at my head." -Dr. Horrible

#2277 2010-10-22 20:27:05

Xav241
Scratcher

I think i should be a curator because i post a variety of short animations and games that can easily be edited by other people for their own needs so PLZ make me a curator  smile

#2278 2010-10-23 00:33:14

Xav241
Scratcher

Hi me again just asking i I can become curator again coz i really wanna thankz so much i you make me curator  big_smile   big_smile   big_smile   big_smile   big_smile   big_smile   big_smile   big_smile   big_smile  D  big_smile 

If you don't make me curator I'll be very sad  sad

#2279 2010-10-23 11:31:43

sanddude
Scratcher

There are lots of excellent scratchers, with amazing quality projects on the site. Some of them are famous, but others aren't.

I shall help those who aren't get famous, if I become a curator. I'd pick the best of projects, that only have like 5 views! No inappropriate stuff either.

Bottom line: I'll bring excellent, G-rated projects to the front page.

Last edited by sanddude (2010-10-24 09:47:59)

http://www.bronyland.com/images/quiz/banner_rainbowdash.jpg

#2280 2010-10-23 17:29:34

Optimax-DJ
Scratcher

Here is my third try on proposing to be a curator:

I would like to become a curator because:

1. I would pick projects of all types, music, platformer, animations, art, simulations, and all other general games.

2. I know A LOT of Unknown project creators (just look at my friends list) and I see several new projects each day.

3. I would search through the 'Show and Tell' Article on the Scratch Forums. I would also make a project called 'propose your best projects here' so scratchers can link their and other people's projects for me to explore.

4. With these 2 resources for projects, I will plan to add a new project every twelve hours, giving the picked project about 36 hours on the front page and give it a healthy boost of 300 views.

5. I have been on the scratch website about a year now and I have a good taste of projects ( not just os's  big_smile  ), and will also take into account how many good and deserving projects they have made which shows that they are a good scratcher.

6. I will only pick projects that have less than 100 views, and that have less than 20 love-its. I will however pick projects that are in a series and the predecessor has been curated before. I have seen A LOT of good projects and I knew how I felt when I first published my first OS. (Thanks LS97  big_smile )

7. I will favour and more likely curate projects that run well online (or at least run well online), and make sure that there is no offensive material in them (that's for you, kids), and that they will be exciting to all audiences (not 'Barbie Dress-Up).

8. I will be fair and give each project the same chance (unless it falls into the previous paragraph), regardless who made it. I will not however curate projects where the creator will likely to be mean to his commenters or just not say anything to them.

Those are some of the reasons why I think I should be a curator.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg716/scaled.php?server=716&filename=optimaxdj.jpg&res=medium
Treat others as you would like to be treated  smile

#2281 2010-10-23 17:56:18

FlexiStudio
Scratcher

Optimax-DJ wrote:

Here is my third try on proposing to be a curator:

I would like to become a curator because:

1. I would pick projects of all types, music, platformer, animations, art, simulations, and all other general games.

2. I know A LOT of Unknown project creators (just look at my friends list) and I see several new projects each day.

3. I would search through the 'Show and Tell' Article on the Scratch Forums. I would also make a project called 'propose your best projects here' so scratchers can link their and other people's projects for me to explore.

4. With these 2 resources for projects, I will plan to add a new project every twelve hours, giving the picked project about 36 hours on the front page and give it a healthy boost of 300 views.

5. I have been on the scratch website about a year now and I have a good taste of projects ( not just os's  big_smile  ), and will also take into account how many good and deserving projects they have made which shows that they are a good scratcher.

6. I will only pick projects that have less than 100 views, and that have less than 20 love-its. I will however pick projects that are in a series and the predecessor has been curated before. I have seen A LOT of good projects and I knew how I felt when I first published my first OS. (Thanks LS97  big_smile )

7. I will favour and more likely curate projects that run well online (or at least run well online), and make sure that there is no offensive material in them (that's for you, kids), and that they will be exciting to all audiences (not 'Barbie Dress-Up).

8. I will be fair and give each project the same chance (unless it falls into the previous paragraph), regardless who made it. I will not however curate projects where the creator will likely to be mean to his commenters or just not say anything to them.

Those are some of the reasons why I think I should be a curator.

Thats alot of reasonable, well said and nicely written notes you got there. I think you should be chosen. You seem to know what you wan't to do as a Curator!

Hey I'm back!-
FlexiStudio

#2282 2010-10-24 11:41:35

XplodingEggs
Scratcher

lasc12 wrote:

XplodingEggs wrote:

hockeyplayer10 wrote:

I would like to choose games becuase when people make them they usualy would work hours on end,plus if they don't get chosen that is just a waist of their time.

I don't think its a waste of my time, even if somebody gets no views they can still have fun and learn about how programming works. Its just like the quote my mom tells me all the time: What you learn is more important then what you win.
And also, I personally have more fun programming with scratch then having a lot of people view my projects.

Anybody else?  wink

http://i52.tinypic.com/igeq91.jpg

Nice one.

Um... THanks?

http://i54.tinypic.com/102kqr7.jpg

#2283 2010-10-24 21:18:04

12three
Scratcher

I'm 12three, and I'm going to apply again. (Perserverance is a good thing)

Anyway, I like getting projects that don't have the attention they deserve get more views. You can tell by my sig. In addition, when I had a featured project, I was advertising other projects in the notes.

I would be a great mod because I realize that some people that are already famous will get all of their projects on the front page, good or bad. So if I can get somebody elses projects recognized, their projects would get on the front page mor often as well, creating more variety, and well... you get the picture.  wink

I would be willing to advertise almost anything at all, as long as I can sense the creator put their heart, soul and time into it, and it is underrated. However, I will mainly focus around games.  smile

I really hope you consider me, as I think it would be cool if a lot of unknown, fantastic projects made their way onto the front page for a change.
smile

#2284 2010-10-25 08:03:22

fivehead
Scratcher

can i be a curator

Goodbye 1.4  sad
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc7sst6hKv1rghkxeo1_500.gifhttp://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mctyxwHfGI1rghkxeo6_250.gif

#2285 2010-10-25 12:35:50

crashtest
Scratcher

can i pleese be a curator?

#2286 2010-10-25 18:44:44

Scratchycat123
Scratcher

I would REALLY like to be curator. i was thinking of putting a few games and some funny animations on the front page. If i be curator i will also make sure that some unnoticed (yet tallented) scratchers get a chance on the front page.  smile

http://derpy.ponychan.net/chan/files/src/134343315274.png

#2287 2010-10-25 21:03:37

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

cheddargirl wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

When applying to be curator, it's good to give some thought to the kind of projects you'd like to show. "Cool projects that most people have never seen!" is a nice idea, but it doesn't really give us a good sense of what you like and why. We want to know what makes a project interesting to you.

Try viewing the projects in your favorites, and see if you can find a theme that describes them. Talk about that theme in your post, and consider providing a few links to good examples of that theme.

For example, I really like projects that use sound input from the microphone to draw interesting designs on the screen. Here's an example of one that I recently added to my favorites: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/MitFan/874786

Let's not forget this, everyone! Explaining what projects you want to choose helps the Scratch Team pick the curators.  smile

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#2288 2010-10-26 16:31:22

emilypie
Scratcher

Hmm, looks like Lucario621 is the new curator. i wonder who the next one could be...c:<

#2289 2010-10-27 12:44:01

werdna123
Scratcher

Lucario's getting on well  smile . Here are some reasons I want to become the curator:

1. It wouldn't just benefit me, it would benefit all the scratchers who got their projects front-paged. I was curated once (thanks Rufflebee) and the feeling was great!

2. It would make new (curated) scratchers more confident about having people from all around the world seeing their project(s).

3. So I could feel that I had a big responsibility on my shoulders to choose projects that the community want.

Here is some of the project types I would  curate:

1. Platformers that look as though they have had a lot of work put into them.

2. Some 3D things look really amazing, and must have taken a long time to make.

3. Scrollers almost always look, and feel great!

4. Tutorials are good because they can really help new scratchers find information on how to make certain types of projects

Here are some of the projects which I think are great, and deserve to go on the front-page:

Antimony-arsenide/Recycle49's 1s 1s 1c Scroller was really fun! (But I wouldn't choose this because it has already got to the front-page.)

Fireball123's platformer tutorial will really help people make games

Lucasgamer's Gravity Ball series was really fun and inspiring, but has also been front-paged.

Thanks for reading!

#2290 2010-10-27 18:41:46

relt123
Scratcher

Lightnin wrote:

Magnie wrote:

Interesting... Will there be a new row or just use the Featured row?

It'll be a whole new row, and will be titled "Projects curated by [curator's Name]."

selected

bopb

#2291 2010-10-27 21:24:39

RocksAndFire
Scratcher

I would still love to be a curator  smile 
As I have said, I tend to lean to the gaming side. But I also love the occasional "Simple" project that just is a really great idea. Projects like:
-Songs made from only scratch blocks like this. (My project, I won't curate that!)
-Projects that would act as a recourse to others: This (Mine again  tongue )
-Projects that have an great idea like this (Won't curate that, too popular)

I would also curate projects that are just amazing.

#2292 2010-10-27 21:32:44

emilypie
Scratcher

RocksAndFire wrote:

As I have said, I tend to lean to the gaming side. But I also love the occasional "Simple" project that just is a really great idea. Projects like:
-Songs made from only scratch blocks like this. (My project, I won't curate that!)

How about things you would curate? That's how I did it.  tongue  all of the things you listed, you had a reason not to curate it. It's best to have a plan, and give examples of things you would curate.  smile

#2293 2010-10-27 22:02:23

RocksAndFire
Scratcher

emilypie wrote:

RocksAndFire wrote:

How about things you would curate? That's how I did it.  tongue  all of the things you listed, you had a reason not to curate it. It's best to have a plan, and give examples of things you would curate.  smile

Ah yes, but if I am picked that will give the info out. And I may change.

#2294 2010-10-27 22:25:08

emilypie
Scratcher

RocksAndFire wrote:

emilypie wrote:

RocksAndFire wrote:

Ah yes, but if I am picked that will give the info out. And I may change.

But it's OK if you change! You should have at least a few planned, and if you change, it's OK!  big_smile  like, since I was picked, I realized a bunch of projects I planned to curate were deleted, so I'm in the process of creating a whole new plan! And, of course the scratch team won't be mad at me (I think. ^^; ). As long as you choose projects you like; it's OK if you decide not to curate them. It's easier for the Scratch team to decide if they know some of the things you'll curate.  smile

Last edited by emilypie (2010-10-27 22:25:46)

#2295 2010-10-27 23:04:26

mrslippy913
Scratcher

I would like to be a curator. Here are the projects I would pick. I would curate projects that had hard work, but no one was noticing them. I wouldn't pick projects that would be too violent. I would act as if I were one of the Scratch Team. I would try to do all the things to be the perfect curator. That is what I would do if I was picked as a curator. I will do my best!

A candy a day keeps the doctor here to stay. -Me CREEPERZFTW
http://www.minecraftanonymous.com/static/images/banner_44.png

#2296 2010-10-28 13:30:43

Azertyfun
Scratcher

hello, I'm a scratcheur Belgian and I speak French. I have great ideas of translation, and implementation of the best possible subjects! :-D

#2297 2010-10-28 15:05:51

scimonster
Community Moderator

I would like to be a curator.

See this project why: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/scimonster/1381050

That isn't entirely true. I would put other projects up, even high viewed/loved ones and other types of projects.

Last edited by scimonster (2011-08-19 02:57:19)

#2298 2010-10-28 15:17:20

Wolfie1996
Retired Community Moderator

scimonster wrote:

i would like to be a curater

see this project why: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/scimonster/1381050

That's a really cool way of presenting your speech - very Scratch-ish  smile

"...Jargon - the practice of never calling a spade a spade, when you might instead call it a manual earth-restructing implement..." - Bill Bryson, Mother Tongue

#2299 2010-10-28 16:27:22

Zichqec
Scratcher

i'd like to be curator! =3

#2300 2010-10-28 17:11:06

henley
Scratcher

Zichqec wrote:

i'd like to be curator! =3

Great speech! I'm sure you'll win with that.

"I've worked so hard for you and you give me nothing in return. Do you need help... Or do I?"

Board footer