This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.
  • Index
  •  » FAQ
  •  » Chronicles of a Moderator: Moderating & the Responsibilities Involved

#26 2010-10-15 16:12:22

gettysburg11
Scratcher

Re: Chronicles of a Moderator: Moderating & the Responsibilities Involved

coolstuff wrote:

gettysburg11 wrote:

Wow. No other word can describe this except epic.

I still want to run anyways when I FINALLY turn 14, but this really lays out exactly what moderating really must be.

By the way, do I have anything bad in that "Dustbin"?  wink

I can't tell you that! That would be cheating  wink

Anyways, this is a bump.  smile

True... XD.

You know, I'm half-thinking one of these nights I'm gonna have a dream of what the mod forum looks like, because I've been thinking about that lately.  lol

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh184/mnacmilan/LOGO_ACMILAN-Splash.gif

#27 2010-10-15 16:17:46

coolstuff
Community Moderator

gettysburg11 wrote:

coolstuff wrote:

gettysburg11 wrote:

Wow. No other word can describe this except epic.

I still want to run anyways when I FINALLY turn 14, but this really lays out exactly what moderating really must be.

By the way, do I have anything bad in that "Dustbin"?  wink

True... XD.

You know, I'm half-thinking one of these nights I'm gonna have a dream of what the mod forum looks like, because I've been thinking about that lately.  lol

It looks exactly like all the other forums, really... Nothing terribly special about it.  wink

#28 2010-10-15 16:21:26

gettysburg11
Scratcher

coolstuff wrote:

gettysburg11 wrote:

coolstuff wrote:

True... XD.

It looks exactly like all the other forums, really... Nothing terribly special about it.  wink

Seems like it should have some kind of secret aura because only you guys can see it.  lol

#29 2010-10-15 16:25:45

ScratchReallyROCKS
Scratcher

gettysburg11 wrote:

coolstuff wrote:

gettysburg11 wrote:

True... XD.

Seems like it should have some kind of secret aura because only you guys can see it.  lol

Or updated PunBB.  tongue

http://imageshack.us/a/img694/3806/sigmad.png

#30 2010-10-15 17:46:21

coolstuff
Community Moderator

ScratchReallyROCKS wrote:

gettysburg11 wrote:

coolstuff wrote:

Or updated PunBB.  tongue

It's literally pretty much exactly the same as all these forums, albeit slightly neater, given that only a handful of people can post in it.  smile

#31 2010-10-15 17:54:19

Lucario621
Community Moderator

Wow! Really interesting post coolstuff! There's not that many changes in my thoughts, but I do think this clears things up.

http://i.imgur.com/WBkM2QQ.png

#32 2010-10-15 18:17:01

johndo77
Scratcher

Instead of making modding sound scarier, it made me feel bad for not trying to help the community as much as you do.

Last edited by johndo77 (2010-10-15 18:17:25)

Crizapples

#33 2010-10-15 20:55:29

coolstuff
Community Moderator

Stickied! Thanks Paddle2See - although I had the power to do so, I wasn't entirely sure...

#34 2010-10-15 22:46:00

helltank
Scratcher

Wow, not bad coolstuff! Finally, a peek into the daily life of the Moderators! Although some of it confirmed what I already know, some, like for example the fact that moderators actually participate in discussions that I thought only the Scratch Team did, surprised me.

(And here I was, thinking that the 14 year old rule was added on a whim)

Error:Signature could not load. Please wait for an indefinite amount of time, until you realize you're gullible and go off to look for another potentially interesting signature to stare at.

#35 2010-10-16 00:02:58

Chrischb
Scratcher

This should be required reading for those who wish to run.  tongue

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#36 2010-10-16 00:03:51

S65
Scratcher

gettysburg11 wrote:

coolstuff wrote:

gettysburg11 wrote:

True... XD.

Coolstuff enters the secret underground chamber, smoking a cigar. Nervously, he dusts off his suit and stands at attention. A man, wearing a black hat, is sitting in a chair, concealed in the shadows.

"Ya called, sir?" Coolstuff says, in his typical Brooklyn accent.

The man turns his chair around to face Coolstuff. He is a slightly pudgy Hispanic man, wearing sunglasses the same color as his greying hair, complete with a bushy mustache. His gaze penetrates into Coolstuff's heart, inspiring both fear and awe at the same time. He is Don Andres, the boss.

Don Andres says nothing, but instead snaps his fingers. Two other men step out from the shadows, whom Coolstuff had not noticed before. One is skinny and tall, yet strangely pale; his dark red, curly hair contrasts strongly with the rest of his appearance. The other is medium height and bald, yet sports a brown handlebar mustache. Both are appropriately muscular for their job, as the personal bodyguards of Don Andres; they are Paddle and Lightnin, respectively.

Andres leans towards Coolstuff. "Coolstuff..." Don Andres starts. "Coolstuff, they've been telling me that you've been a bit...unfaithful. To the cause."

Coolstuff turns pale. "No, Andres...they weren't - "

"Silence, " Andres raises his voice. "Haven't you learned one thing throughout all these years, Coolstuff? When the Don is talking, you don't interrupt him." Coolstuff remains silent, head bowed.  "As I was saying," Don Andres gnarls, "I trusted you, Coolstuff. But your time here is over."

"No, Andres," Coolstuff whimpers, beginning to sweat. "I wouldn't - you couldn't -"

Andres snaps his fingers again. Paddle and Lightnin, having previously stood silent, now advance towards Coolstuff. They move slowly and steadily, like a hawk hunting their prey. And finally, they grab him, and drag him out of the chamber.

Coolstuff was never seen again.

#37 2010-10-16 00:08:30

coolstuff
Community Moderator

S65 wrote:

gettysburg11 wrote:

coolstuff wrote:

Coolstuff enters the secret underground chamber, smoking a cigar. Nervously, he dusts off his suit and stands at attention. A man, wearing a black hat, is sitting in a chair, concealed in the shadows.

The man turns his chair around to face Coolstuff. He is a slightly pudgy Hispanic man, wearing sunglasses the same color as his greying hair, complete with a bushy mustache. His gaze penetrates into Coolstuff's heart, inspiring both fear and awe at the same time. He is Don Andres, the boss.

Don Andres says nothing, but instead snaps his fingers. Two other men step out from the shadows, whom Coolstuff had not noticed before. One is skinny and tall, yet strangely pale; his dark red, curly hair contrasts strongly with the rest of his appearance. The other is medium height and bald, yet sports a brown handlebar mustache. Both are appropriately muscular for their job, as the personal bodyguards of Don Andres; they are Paddle and Lightnin, respectively.

Andres leans towards Coolstuff. "Coolstuff..." Don Andres starts. "Coolstuff, they've been telling me that you've been a bit...unfaithful. To the cause."

"Silence, " Andres raises his voice. "Haven't you learned one thing throughout all these years, Coolstuff? When the Don is talking, you don't interrupt him." Coolstuff remains silent, head bowed.  "As I was saying," Don Andres gnarls, "I trusted you, Coolstuff. But your time here is over."

"No, Andres," Coolstuff whimpers, beginning to sweat. "I wouldn't - you couldn't -"

Andres snaps his fingers again. Paddle and Lightnin, having previously stood silent, now advance towards Coolstuff. They move slowly and steadily, like a hawk hunting their prey. And finally, they grab him, and drag him out of the chamber.

Excellent story! Captivating, exciting, and enchanting. I just hope very dearly that won't ever be true!

#38 2010-10-16 00:10:12

S65
Scratcher

coolstuff wrote:

S65 wrote:

gettysburg11 wrote:

(big story post)

Excellent story! Captivating, exciting, and enchanting. I just hope very dearly that won't ever be true!

Yeah yeah we all know you're really the robotic clone Coolstuff that Andres made after having to terminate the real Coolstuff.  yikes

#39 2010-10-16 07:29:05

gettysburg11
Scratcher

S65 wrote:

coolstuff wrote:

S65 wrote:

(big story post)

Yeah yeah we all know you're really the robotic clone Coolstuff that Andres made after having to terminate the real Coolstuff.  yikes

yikes   lol

Chrischb wrote:

This should be required reading for those who wish to run.  tongue

Hey future mod candidates, come and get your summer reading!  lol  Yeah, it should be.

#40 2010-10-16 12:03:55

steppenwulf
Scratcher

S65 wrote:

gettysburg11 wrote:

coolstuff wrote:

That was awesome  big_smile

I'm graduating HS this April and going to college in the Fall.

#41 2010-10-16 12:51:36

FlexiStudio
Scratcher

steppenwulf wrote:

S65 wrote:

gettysburg11 wrote:

That was awesome  big_smile

Wow! You're a good writer!  big_smile

Hey I'm back!-
FlexiStudio

#42 2010-10-16 21:51:08

coolstuff
Community Moderator

Not that this needed to be bumped as it *is* stickied, but I figured I'd do it for good measure.  wink

#43 2010-10-16 22:16:09

DaGamez
Scratcher

I bet I have millions of records in the dustbin  big_smile

http://scratchhtmlviewer.net23.net/image.php?project=1229757&user=DaGamez

#44 2010-10-17 08:12:17

helltank
Scratcher

S65 wrote:

Interesting. I'll make a Fan Fiction of this on storynetwork...

Error:Signature could not load. Please wait for an indefinite amount of time, until you realize you're gullible and go off to look for another potentially interesting signature to stare at.

#45 2010-10-17 12:42:01

The_Dancing_Donut
Scratcher

This got stickied - that's good!  smile

Offending strangers since 2010.

#46 2010-10-17 15:27:58

Aidan
Scratcher

Finally got the time to read this. This has changed my opinion on Moderators completely. Great job!  big_smile

#47 2010-10-17 16:52:16

antimonyarsenide
Scratcher

Great!  smile

http://myfastcounter.com/count.php?c_style=75&id=1284314427
No, I'm not back (yet  tongue ), so pretend this is invisible.

#48 2010-10-17 21:33:51

soupoftomato
Scratcher

S65 wrote:

coolstuff wrote:

S65 wrote:

(big story post)

Hey, all mods need a hood backstory right?

MRN and her immortality and plans to kill us.
Paddle2See and his druggie nachos. (This is my favorite, however it's before a lot of users time.)
And now, coolstuff being a robot.

Oh yeah, and how could I forget Lightnin modeled for some game. (I forgot which exactly.)

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#49 2010-10-19 08:00:48

Harakou
Community Moderator

Great guide; very informative! I can't believe I only just noticed it. Overall, it doesn't change my prospects very much, because I already knew that moderation is a big responsibility. Still, I had no idea how much else goes on behind the scenes. It makes me admire you moderators even more.

http://www.blocks.scratchr.org/API.php?action=random&return=image&link1=http://i.imgur.com/OZn2RD3.png&link2=http://i.imgur.com/duzaGTB.png&link3=http://i.imgur.com/CrDGvvZ.png&link4=http://i.imgur.com/POEpQyZ.png&link5=http://i.imgur.com/ZKJF8ac.png

#50 2010-10-22 19:34:04

platform710
Scratcher

I know, off topic, but I think this thread has been misplaced. Good description BTW  smile

http://i54.tinypic.com/2wn8hnb.gif

• Index
  •  » FAQ
  •  » Chronicles of a Moderator: Moderating & the Responsibilities Involved

Board footer