This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2008-07-27 10:27:02

Paddle2SeeFixIt
Scratcher

Thanks for a great Conference!

Just wanted to give a big Thank You to the whole Media Lab team.  That was the most energizing and thought-provoking conference I have ever attended.   It was wonderful meeting all of you and the members of the Scratch Community.  You all did a fantastic job making it happen!  Scratch On!

Now I'm off on a kayaking trip for a few days and I will have to leave my beloved Scratch behind (Scratch Cat does not like water).  See you soon!

#2 2008-07-27 11:08:35

Lanie
Scratcher

Re: Thanks for a great Conference!

I want to say thank you too even though i was not there i watched every video that was posted ^_^. It was a great Conference. Have fun on your Kayaking trip  smile

#3 2008-07-27 11:15:28

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

Opps!  Posted that from the wrong account!  Well, it was from me (Paddle2See) - as you probably already know.  And Lanie - thanks for the good wishes!  I'm not leaving until tomorrow so I'l be around for the rest of today.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#4 2008-07-27 11:29:11

newareagle
Scratcher

See ya Paddle2See! You came all the way from Maine during the Summer? Which is like the only time you can go outisde in Maine? Lol jk  tongue

My Guitar Hero Game.
8/9 Projects on the Front Page at Once!

#5 2008-07-27 11:35:31

MyRedNeptune
Community Moderator

It sure was a great conference! Thank you Scratch Team! ^^

http://i52.tinypic.com/5es7t0.png I know what you're thinking! "Neptune! Get rid of those filthy advertisements and give us back the Zarathustra siggy, you horrible person!" Well, don't worry about it, the Zara siggy will be back soon, new and improved! ^^ Meanwhile, just do what the sig tells you to. >.>

#6 2008-07-27 15:15:36

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

newareagle wrote:

See ya Paddle2See! You came all the way from Maine during the Summer? Which is like the only time you can go outisde in Maine? Lol jk  tongue

Hey, it's not THAT cold here!  I bet all the real high latitude Scratchers (Canada, Russia, Chile, Alaska, etc. ) think of Maine as a warm place!

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#7 2008-07-27 15:32:53

Zelda123
Scratcher

Paddle2See wrote:

newareagle wrote:

Hey, it's not THAT cold here!  I bet all the real high latitude Scratchers (Canada, Russia, Chile, Alaska, etc. ) think of Maine as a warm place!

Have fun kayaking!  smile

It kind of depends on what part of Maine- Caribou being in northern Maine is probably colder than southern Maine. But Maine is cold...  -at least colder than here in Massachusetts.  tongue

#8 2008-07-27 15:39:54

chalkmarrow
Scratcher

I have to agree with Paddle2See; It was an amazing conference, and an amazing place. If you ever needed motivation for studying hard and getting good SAT scores while at the same time embracing the Liberal Arts, drop into the Media Lab and take a tour. Unlike where I went to school, where grad students cluster in dark corners of a brick building tabulating heat transfer coefficients, the Media Lab is a hive of talented people working in lego-lined regions separated only by transparent partitions, and where you may be called upon at any moment to demo your idea.

I also learned about a place called RISD, which also looks cool, and which apparently emphasizes making purple dinosaurs out of legos while reciting zen koans about simplicity and Swiss Army knives. I may have misunderstood that last part, however...

Last edited by chalkmarrow (2008-07-27 19:35:56)

#9 2008-07-27 15:54:11

maki
Scratcher

Hey, I live in Seattle, and I was in 130˙ degree weather in Leavenworth, it's NOT cold up here (despite the beliefs of a certain person living in California)!!!!!!!!!! Well, that was random, good luck on the kayaking trip!!!  lol   cool

Creepers are exceptionally volatile.

#10 2008-07-27 15:55:12

maki
Scratcher

Where is it?

chalkmarrow wrote:

I have to agree with Paddle2See; It was an amazing conference, and an amazing place. If you ever needed motivation for studying hard and getting good SAT scores while at the same time embracing the Liberal Arts, drop into the Media Lab and take a tour. Unlike where I went to school, where grad students cluster in dark corners of a brick building tabulating heat transfer coefficients, the Media Lab is populated by a hive of talented people working in lego-lined regions separated only by transparent partitions, and where you may be called upon at any moment to demo your idea.

I also learned about a place called RISD, which also looks cool, and which apparently emphasizes making purple dinosaurs out of legos while reciting zen koans about simplicity and Swiss Army knives. I may have misunderstood that last part, however...

Creepers are exceptionally volatile.

#11 2008-07-27 16:31:49

chalkmarrow
Scratcher

maki wrote:

Where is it?

chalkmarrow wrote:

I have to agree with Paddle2See; It was an amazing conference, and an amazing place. If you ever needed motivation for studying hard and getting good SAT scores while at the same time embracing the Liberal Arts, drop into the Media Lab and take a tour. Unlike where I went to school, where grad students cluster in dark corners of a brick building tabulating heat transfer coefficients, the Media Lab is populated by a hive of talented people working in lego-lined regions separated only by transparent partitions, and where you may be called upon at any moment to demo your idea.

RISD? Rhode Island. You can check out their cool gallery at:
http://www.risd.edu/gallery.cfm

btw: i like your lolcats sig, but it's ginormous. you may want to make it smaller.

Last edited by chalkmarrow (2008-07-27 16:44:48)

#12 2008-07-28 00:02:31

inuwali
Scratcher

I agree with you all... I had a fantastic time and it was really fun to meet a lot of folks face to face. A big Thank You from me to the Scratch team!

#13 2008-07-28 05:55:48

SonicPops
Scratcher

chalkmarrow wrote:

I have to agree with Paddle2See; It was an amazing conference, and an amazing place. If you ever needed motivation for studying hard and getting good SAT scores while at the same time embracing the Liberal Arts, drop into the Media Lab and take a tour. Unlike where I went to school, where grad students cluster in dark corners of a brick building tabulating heat transfer coefficients, the Media Lab is a hive of talented people working in lego-lined regions separated only by transparent partitions, and where you may be called upon at any moment to demo your idea.

NOOOO! I didn't see you!  sad  I wanted to see you so badly!

smile  Go Crank. Inc!  smile
Not much to say  wink

#14 2008-07-28 06:04:31

SonicPops
Scratcher

It was the best conference I've ever been to!  big_smile  And well...the only one. I mean, nearly hundreds of photo shots, get to test the...oh, nevermind, 4 INTERVIEWS and meeting everyone. JSO, his brother and parents, MyRedNeptune and her dad and me and my dad went to a restaruant and was very...scary  tongue  (MRN knows what I mean...lol).

It was great and I miss some of you already  tongue  , but now I have Gmail so I can talk with MRN and MasterOfMac so far...but that dosen't matter because I can talk heeeeeeeeeeeeere!  big_smile

Thank you MIT! Thank you for the best conference ever! ^^

Not much to say  wink

#15 2008-07-28 06:07:26

SonicPops
Scratcher

Wow...I used alot of smileys.

Not much to say  wink

#16 2008-07-28 07:55:33

Lanie
Scratcher

lol, well hopefully next year i get to experience that

#17 2008-07-28 08:02:40

coolstuff
Community Moderator

WHAT!? The conference already happened? ... the things you miss when you are in europe!

#18 2008-07-28 08:49:37

JSO
Community Moderator

The conference was really nice - thank you Scratch Team  big_smile

If some young user would think "everyone was able to go to the conference, and I was not", please note that there where like 300 participants, and maybe 10 kids  big_smile

http://oi48.tinypic.com/2v1q0e9.jpg

#19 2008-07-28 09:04:40

SonicPops
Scratcher

JSO wrote:

The conference was really nice - thank you Scratch Team  big_smile

If some young user would think "everyone was able to go to the conference, and I was not", please note that there where like 300 participants, and maybe 10 kids  big_smile

True  tongue  But maybe a bit more than 10 kids...perhaps... 15?!  tongue

Not much to say  wink

#20 2008-07-28 09:24:22

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

It was great meeting all of you at the conference. It definitely made us feel that all the work we put into Scratch is worth it.

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#21 2008-07-28 09:27:33

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

Oh by the way, if you have any pictures of the conference don't forget to add them to the FlickR group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/scratchmit

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#22 2008-07-28 13:45:22

chalkmarrow
Scratcher

SonicPops wrote:

chalkmarrow wrote:

lol. yeah you did. i was the one that showed you and myredneptune the scratchboard program where the moths on the screen moved to where the light sensor was held...

i guess next year we should have the option of putting our user names on the name tags as well as our RL names.

#23 2008-07-28 13:49:13

SonicPops
Scratcher

chalkmarrow wrote:

SonicPops wrote:

chalkmarrow wrote:

lol. yeah you did. i was the one that showed you and myredneptune the scratchboard program where the moths on the screen moved to where the light sensor was held...

i guess next year we should have the option of putting our user names on the name tags as well as our RL names.

I have the memory of a goldfish...I remember, but I don't remeber what you look like...lol

Not much to say  wink

#24 2008-07-28 13:52:23

Bluestribute
Scratcher

chalkmarrow wrote:

SonicPops wrote:

chalkmarrow wrote:

Woah. How could Sonicpops not remember that? I would love to see that, but I didn't go…

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/1204/bluestributett4.jpg
That's my PSN ID. I know tons of COD4 glitches. Add me as your friend. Oh, and get a headset

#25 2008-07-28 14:04:02

SonicPops
Scratcher

Bluestribute wrote:

chalkmarrow wrote:

SonicPops wrote:

Woah. How could Sonicpops not remember that? I would love to see that, but I didn't go…

Read, Bluestribute, READ! I never knew it was chalkmarrow because I only saw his nametag!

AAAH! I don't even remember his/her gender! > sad

Not much to say  wink

Board footer