This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2007-08-08 00:34:32

PaulMathews
Scratcher

My game can it be done in Sratch !!!

Simple enough game, you have two sides the goodies and the baddies. Its one sector of space and in the middle there is the from lines across the middle. You are incontrol of the StarShip Whatever :p

YOu opbjectives are to blow the * out of the baddies ships, lets call them the Blingons.I want to be able to write some code that just lets them patrol randomly in my territory and theirs and even attack space stations in my space and ships, and the attack assets sendout sistress messages so I can jump in and save the day.

I also want to be able to write some decent AI code for mage to ships and Eacape code to make sure they don't allways just stay and fight, if they get damaged they retreat as fast as they can, or even call in for reinforcements and you miught have to retreat  smile

I would like to make a proper game with missions and such, but will tak eit a bit at a time like any game devlopment. I have never programed a game before or programmed in genraly really. I have Only gooten to 10 peint Hello 20 goto 10. But I have allways wanted to program stuff thats in my head and maybe Scratch will allow me to do this ????

I also need some help on weapons, I want my ships to have phasers and Torpedoes and some help on those would be nice code wise  smile

Thanks all.

#2 2007-08-08 12:13:51

Sawman3
Scratcher

Re: My game can it be done in Sratch !!!

I think it could be done, but it will take massive ammounts of effort and time.  However if you're willing to put those in, its possible.  It would be too long to post how to help you with everything you said here, but as for the weapons, you can make seperated sprites for each projectile and then use simple movement blocks for when whatever key you want to equal 'fire' is pressed.  Then you can use the following configuration for each seperate projectile:

When <key space (for example)> pressed
show
<repeat until> *touching edge*
move ten steps
<if> *touching edge*
hide
switch to costume 1
go to (whatever ship is firing)

Hope that helps!

"These are the old days, the glory days...they're back."

#3 2007-08-09 22:23:35

vikaros
Scratcher

I thought I'd post a few links to some great multiplayer games here, if others were curious what can be done with multiplayer.  Does anyone know any multiplayer music or drawing games?

Turn based tank game
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/axu/27500

2-player racing
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/rikathome/18930

3-D maze battle
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Mayhem/22037

#4 2007-08-10 00:25:49

archmage
Scratcher

Hey your game sounds pretty neat. Iam pretty good with scratch so if you need some scripts for anything just make a post and ask me  wink

PS: If I were to make a game like the one you are discribing it would probally take me somewhere around 10-40 hours to complete depending on how much stuff I put in it. So you have to have alot of patience.

Last edited by archmage (2007-08-10 00:29:58)

Hi, I am Archmage coder extraordinaire. I do Scratch,pascal,java,php,html, AS2 and AS3. Leave me a message if you want coding advice. Also check out my personal website, lots of good stuff about web development, Flash, and Scratch (v1 and v2) !

#5 2007-08-12 18:38:11

Vanslar
Scratcher

yeah it can be done, you could put on the bottem or top, the messege box and health. when one of your ships are hit you just brodcast someting. for the AI shooting, if distance to <insert sprite name here>=<insert distance here> brodcast <insert brodcast name here>. and then on the laser, or whatever, sprite When i receive <insert brodcast name here> repeat until<insert sprite name here> move<insert number here> steps  smile  have fun making the game!

I am a royal pain in the butt, I am ~Vanslar~       
      Want better gravity? Go to
Realistic Gravity, By Vanslar 2-D
Want a better way to spend your spare time? CubeField

Board footer