This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.
  • Index
  •  » FAQ
  •  » Chronicles of a Moderator: Moderating & the Responsibilities Involved

#1 2010-10-14 21:44:10

coolstuff
Community Moderator

Chronicles of a Moderator: Moderating & the Responsibilities Involved

"Oooh, a fancy title under my name!" I thought, on the day I discovered that I had been bestowed a title which even some of the most helpful, mature, and all-around excellent members of the community failed to acquire: a Community Moderator.

Setting out on my quest as a moderator, I felt absolutely wonderful. Here before me was the power to close topics that had any potential to spark flames in the Scratch Community; move threads that were in the wrong location; and block users who were being offensive to others or consistently mistreating others.

How wrong I was. Logging on that fateful day that I became a moderator - in late May - I found that I had several pages of moderator guidelines before me before I was able to do anything. After that I found that I had even more to read on how to actually do what I needed to do, such as close topics or respond to reports.

That first day, a number of surprises entered my mind while reading the guidelines; notably, moderators don't block people. That's right. Aside from extreme cases such as commercial spam and trolling, we don't block. Ever.

I learned quickly that if I didn't know what to do in a situation that I shouldn't just guess, I should leave it up to the pros: the older moderators and Scratch Team. Lightnin, Paddle2See, and the existing mods guided us those first few months on what to do in certain situations. We were new and clueless, and something the Scratch Team had said to us early on - about focusing, for the first month, on learning the ropes - was proving to be quite a trusty phrase, while previously it had seemed like a ridiculously long period of time.

All the while I had thought that moderation was as simple as closing up irrelevant threads, moving them to their appropriate forums, and eating the cyber-donuts provided by the Scratch Team, yet I soon came to terms with the fact that it clearly wasn't. The second day of our new moderation, trolls attacked. We were quick and speedy; fortunately very little of the material was exposed to the Scratch community.

But that stuff was obvious. You see an inappropriate link, you delete it and block the person who made it. You see a topic in the wrong forum, you move it. This stuff requires no brainpower whatsoever, although I could have done without the gross links. But anyone can moderate those; the main part of moderation, that most of the community is not aware of, is the subtle and challenging decision making such as closing up flames and arguments.

What defines a flame war? For the first few months of being a moderator, it took some tough calls to get through them. That takes some true reasoning to decide what should and shouldn't be closed, and what should be done. Not just anyone can do that; only somebody very reasonable can do it.

Very little that we actually delete goes fully off our systems; often, deleted topics or posts go into the “Dustbin” so that we have a record of flames and trolling incidents, just for future reference. If there is discussion about blocking a certain user, the Dustbin provides evidence for that user. Given that the fate of other users is often discussed in the Moderator forum, it is natural that only those very mature can moderate properly.

There's a lot to do with moderating that you can't see, and moderating isn’t always about keeping the community clean and friendly. We have a lot of discussions (in the Moderator forum, of course) on stickies, possible solutions to recurring arguments, and new guidelines to the forums. ITopics, for example, were the result of some fair discussion which involved me complaining about the number of stickies while offering some solutions, which each had their own downfalls. The final solution was the result of collaboration between the whole Moderating team, with Lightnin being the brains for coming up with the ITopic system. Other discussions - such as how I loathe Miscellaneous - had a lot of involvement from all the moderators for a verdict to be chosen: that Miscellaneous would stay for at least the time being. The discussions that go on between the moderators are interestingly complex - and brainstorming solutions to problems takes a lot of reasoning; for example, to say "I don’t want Miscellaneous to close" is much less explanatory than "I dislike this idea because Miscellaneous is the glue that holds the community together and forms interpersonal bonds which, while they can be spam-like and irrelevant, are important for any community."

This very post, in fact, was the fruit of a collaboration between the moderating community.

Also, make sure that if you consider running that you have enough time on your hands. While it isn't absolutely necessary to be on every day, every hour, this very minute in fact, you should make sure you're on almost every day to check up on things. Going away for a week or two shouldn't be an issue (I was gone half the summer and nobody was miffed about it), but if you're only going to be on once a week for a very long period of time, consider running with caution.

I’d also like to make a note of this: While moderating may seem like all fun and games, it’s actually a huge responsibility. I have met several people who believe that moderating is simply closing necroposted topics, moving topics to the right forum, and changing topic titles; rather, it’s a very subtle and challenging position that requires a lot of thought. Decisions on how the forums and website are run are made by the moderators, and given the magnitude of these decisions, the responsibilities of being a moderator, and making these decisions, should not be taken lightly.

It’s also quite important, should you be bestowed with the duty of becoming a moderator, to act in a way that reflects the values of Scratch and the community. Moderators are considered to be role models of the Scratch community. They try to emphasize the values that the Scratch community is supposed to embody: respect, kindness, patience, and friendliness in whatever they say and in whatever they do.

Community moderators are entrusted with a lot of respect, but it is not the case that the power of being a moderator automatically gives you respect. In fact, respect is truly earned by proving yourself worthy of it and giving it to others, regardless of whether you have power or not - and community moderators usually earn their respect in the same way, by giving it to others.

As a conclusion to this (rather lengthy) post, I will say this: moderating is quite pleasurable ordeal, and I hope you all consider moderating should you be eligible. It's not always likened to a family fun and games night, as I hope this topic has shown, and definitely takes an awful lot of maturity to handle. There's a lot of responsibility involved, but it's also an unforgettable experience that will, at least for me, stick with me for the rest of my life. Just keep this in mind if you think you want to moderate: it's not a job for everyone. Don't just run to get a fancy title under your name, run because you really feel responsible, willing, and generous enough to give something back to Scratch, and you'll be able to follow through with it.

----

This post was the collaboration of the entire moderating team over the course of just about one month. It was written primarily by me, with bits and pieces written by other moderators, and lots of feedback given. This is the third and final revision of this write-up.

The intent of this topic was to clear things up with moderating and how difficult it really is, and also to provide a bit of insight for people wishing to moderate.

Last edited by coolstuff (2010-10-14 21:55:11)

#2 2010-10-14 21:44:48

militarydudes
Scratcher

Re: Chronicles of a Moderator: Moderating & the Responsibilities Involved

this is pretty awesome!

__m. .m__ KILROY WAS HERE
        U

#3 2010-10-14 21:45:46

coolstuff
Community Moderator

militarydudes wrote:

this is pretty awesome!

That was quick - you probably didn't read the whole thing, did you? I wouldn't blame you  wink

#4 2010-10-14 21:49:13

militarydudes
Scratcher

coolstuff wrote:

militarydudes wrote:

this is pretty awesome!

That was quick - you probably didn't read the whole thing, did you? I wouldn't blame you  wink

nope  smile  I don't have time, but I put it in my sig so I can read it some other time

__m. .m__ KILROY WAS HERE
        U

#5 2010-10-14 21:50:25

demosthenes
Retired Community Moderator

Very nice post, thank you coolstuff and everyone else who worked on this for providing us with this wonderful guide, warning, and encouragement.

I've taken a long hiatus, but I still visit sometimes. Give me some time to answer any messages you post on my projects!

#6 2010-10-14 21:54:09

soupoftomato
Scratcher

This is awesome!

I read the whole thing, and it was aweosme.

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#7 2010-10-14 21:55:26

urhungry
Scratcher

What he said. I actually did read it.

#8 2010-10-14 21:56:15

RocksAndFire
Scratcher

Awesome! Is this the same thing as in the scratchable???

#9 2010-10-14 21:56:59

coolstuff
Community Moderator

Thanks everyone for your positive feedback! I added a bit about the intention of this topic at the bottom, because I'm afraid that wasn't entirely clear...

My primary concern when I wrote this topic was that it would be far too long. Apparently, that isn't quite as much of an issue as I thought it would be, so I thank you for that!

#10 2010-10-14 21:57:14

ScratchReallyROCKS
Scratcher

I was waiting for this to come out! I makes the 14+ rule make a whole lot more sense. It almost makes me feel sad that a kid's programming website needs people like that, but it's inevitable. Well, good luck to anyone who read that and is still considering being a moderator!

http://imageshack.us/a/img694/3806/sigmad.png

#11 2010-10-14 21:57:27

coolstuff
Community Moderator

RocksAndFire wrote:

Awesome! Is this the same thing as in the scratchable???

Nope... That was an interview; I think this one is quite a bit more in-depth and was written for a completely different purpose.

#12 2010-10-14 21:59:03

RocksAndFire
Scratcher

I just refreshed and then it got two pages!

#13 2010-10-14 22:18:58

steppenwulf
Scratcher

This is very well written  smile

I'm graduating HS this April and going to college in the Fall.

#14 2010-10-14 22:41:54

Chrischb
Scratcher

This says a lot...

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#15 2010-10-14 22:45:06

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

This guide is really good!  smile

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#16 2010-10-14 23:04:37

fullmoon
Retired Community Moderator

This is fascinating, thanks for posting!

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn100/fullmoon32/wow.jpg

#17 2010-10-14 23:08:33

scmb1
Scratch Team

Thanks for posting this!  smile  I figured there was a ton of responsibility involving in being a mod, but I wasn't sure exactly what it entailed.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2z5pqad.png

#18 2010-10-14 23:09:58

Usatt1337
Scratcher

Interesting story about what being a scratch moderator is like. I think there are several things that would strike people as unexpected when you become a moderator on a website. Any time you first get to be a mod, you feel a rush of power, until you realize your job is largely not to deal out punishment, but rather to try to be helpful and delete a few comments that aren't acceptable. I remember what it was like when I first became a mod on another large forum.

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/9183/fmod.jpg

#19 2010-10-14 23:10:05

coolstuff
Community Moderator

fullmoon wrote:

This is fascinating, thanks for posting!

I do hope you'll still be running? You can announce your intent to do so in the "Announcements" forum. If so, good luck! There are too many great Scratchers for me to choose from!

#20 2010-10-14 23:43:00

fg123
Scratcher

Read it allll.

Thanks for posting, interesting story. Still want to be mod.

tongue

Hai.

#21 2010-10-15 10:11:34

coolboy2009
Scratcher

Wow. It does sound like a hard day at the mod office.

MOMS SPAGHETTI. (Steam: http://bit.ly/MICDaz) (roblox: http://bit.ly/LRJmcd) and (Xbox: Hal0r0cks1337)

#22 2010-10-15 10:57:02

mathematics
Scratcher

Yeah... I think so after reading too...

#23 2010-10-15 11:03:26

The_Dancing_Donut
Scratcher

Very useful! If you're just in it for the power, and respect; this may make you think twice.  tongue

Offending strangers since 2010.

#24 2010-10-15 11:13:38

gettysburg11
Scratcher

Wow. No other word can describe this except epic.

I still want to run anyways when I FINALLY turn 14, but this really lays out exactly what moderating really must be.

By the way, do I have anything bad in that "Dustbin"?  wink

Last edited by gettysburg11 (2010-10-15 16:03:26)

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh184/mnacmilan/LOGO_ACMILAN-Splash.gif

#25 2010-10-15 16:08:23

coolstuff
Community Moderator

gettysburg11 wrote:

Wow. No other word can describe this except epic.

I still want to run anyways when I FINALLY turn 14, but this really lays out exactly what moderating really must be.

By the way, do I have anything bad in that "Dustbin"?  wink

I can't tell you that! That would be cheating  wink

Anyways, this is a bump.  smile

• Index
  •  » FAQ
  •  » Chronicles of a Moderator: Moderating & the Responsibilities Involved

Board footer