This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2010-10-08 15:55:20

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

Replying to disrespectful comments is not OK

It has come to my attention that there is something a lot of Scratchers do not understand well and I am wondering how to explain.

A lot of people thing that it is OK to respond to attacks with more attacks or with threats. This is not acceptable and I would like you to help us spread this message.

Here is a fictional example:

Person A: "Your project sucks."
Person B: "You suck more. I hate you! I am going to flag you and get you banned."

Who is right? A or B? Well, the right answer is neither of them!

We all know that what person A did is against the Scratch Terms of Use. We do take those comments seriously and typically block accounts that post that kind of disrespectful messages.

However, it seems to me that a lot of people think that what Person B responded is fine because she or he "did not started" or because she or he is  "just responding". Well, this is not OK and we often block Person B's account as well.

You are encouraged to flag and report inappropriate content but there is no need to tell people that you are doing it because it only creates more conflicts.

It is not OK to respond to attacks with more attacks.

Please help us spread the word that:

a) Disrespectful comments are not OK
b) Responding to disrespectful comments is also not OK.
c) People should flag disrespectful or inappropriate content, contact the Scratch Team and then ignore it. Do not respond to it publicly because this only creates a cycle of attacks.

If you have suggestions on how to improve this or any other ideas about this, please let us know.

Thanks and Scratch On!

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#2 2010-10-08 16:00:42

coolstuff
Community Moderator

Re: Replying to disrespectful comments is not OK

I couldn't agree more! I think it's really important that the community should report disrespectful comments or posts. It's something I think is necessary, but really isn't stressed enough.

#3 2010-10-08 16:04:01

scmb1
Scratch Team

Thanks for writing this! It reminds of something my parents used to tell my brother and I when we were younger: It takes at least two people to make a fight.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2z5pqad.png

#4 2010-10-08 17:01:30

ScratchReallyROCKS
Scratcher

I agree. I'll put a link to this in my signature.

http://imageshack.us/a/img694/3806/sigmad.png

#5 2010-10-08 17:27:00

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

That guide was written so well!!!  big_smile   big_smile   big_smile

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#6 2010-10-08 17:28:53

lilacfuzz101
Scratcher

ok. so we shouldn't even reply "please don't be mean." and then flag it?  hmm  that's pretty much what i do...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzqaicLrY01r5wdo7o1_500.gif

#7 2010-10-08 17:30:09

Chrischb
Scratcher

I likez. ;D *wonders what else to say* xP

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#8 2010-10-08 18:23:31

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

Maybe we need a catchy slogan to help this idea take hold.  How about

"Flag Don't Fight"

Anybody else?

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#9 2010-10-08 18:46:56

fg123
Scratcher

Nice. It's a bit weird though(@Paddle), How about

Flag it, don't fight it.

tongue  I'm horrible at this.

Back on topic: I definitely agree with this.

Hai.

#10 2010-10-08 18:52:43

littletonkslover
Scratcher

Argh, I really have to work on this.

I don't like flagging anything because it makes me feel really pathetic, like I'm to scared to tell them what they're doing wrong. I've seen a lot of bad projects, but have only flagged around two ^_^"

http://www.coxlab.org/images/rat_banner.jpg
That's the dark nature of capitalism. ~ Wonder Showzen

#11 2010-10-08 18:59:14

Ace-Of-Diamonds
Scratcher

Flag it, don't frag it

(it means shoot an explosive so basically 'attacking')

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/9151/v4a.png

#12 2010-10-08 19:41:29

Lucario621
Community Moderator

Good point Andrés! I definitely agree, that it's better to have the Scratch Team handle these kind of situations, rather than replying them, in which even if it's polite, it can still cause anger.

However, as a habit of mine, I tend to just delete the comment, rather than flagging it; that way nobody else sees the project (or at least as few as possible). Is that bad? Should I perhaps flag it instead, or maybe flag it and then delete it (in which the Scratch Team might be able to see it)?

http://i.imgur.com/WBkM2QQ.png

#13 2010-10-08 19:47:56

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

Lucario621 wrote:

Good point Andrés! I definitely agree, that it's better to have the Scratch Team handle these kind of situations, rather than replying them, in which even if it's polite, it can still cause anger.

However, as a habit of mine, I tend to just delete the comment, rather than flagging it; that way nobody else sees the project (or at least as few as possible). Is that bad? Should I perhaps flag it instead, or maybe flag it and then delete it (in which the Scratch Team might be able to see it)?

If it's your project or gallery, then flagging comments will auto-delete the comments for you while still sending a message about it to the Scratch Team; flagging's the way to go if the comment is particularly inappropriate and breaks the Terms of Use.  smile

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#14 2010-10-08 19:49:25

Lucario621
Community Moderator

cheddargirl wrote:

Lucario621 wrote:

If it's your project or gallery, then flagging comments will auto-delete the comments for you while still sending a message about it to the Scratch Team; flagging's the way to go if the comment is particularly inappropriate and breaks the Terms of Use.  smile

Oh, ok  smile . Thanks Cheddar  big_smile

http://i.imgur.com/WBkM2QQ.png

#15 2010-10-08 20:06:09

emilypie
Scratcher

yeah, i think this should get around too. i used to do that. but now i stopped.  tongue

i was just wondering, what if we, before we flag them, ask them NICELY to stop? Like this

Person A: This project sucks.
Person B: Well, thank you for your opinion. Could you please explain to me why you don't like it, so that I may improve it? Oh, and next time I'd appreciate it if you would be a bit more kind when saying you don't like a project. Thanks!  big_smile
Person B: Stupid. Why would I care how YOU feel?
Person A: [Flags]

Or Something like this:

Person B: Well, thank you for your opinion. Could you please explain to me why you don't like it, so that I may improve it? Oh, and next time I'd appreciate it if you would be a bit more kind when saying you don't like a project. Thanks!  big_smile
Person A: Oh, sorry, I just don't like these kinds of projects. :c
Person B: Aww, it's ok. [Adds to friends] ^^

so...yeah. i just want that to be cleared up, y'know, if it's OK to do that. 'cause, that's what i sorta do. ^^; I believe too much in second chances, so i always wait for the person to say sorry before I flag. i wouldn't want anyone to get banned 'cause of a misunderstanding.

Also, I've been wondering, when we flag a comment, do you see the replies that were made on that comment, too? Just wondering. And when you flag a comment, and then it gets deleted, do you still see it? those questions have just been bugging meh for a loooong time.  big_smile

I'm going to add a link to this in my siggy in a sec to spread the word.  big_smile

"Captain Hammer threw a car at my head." -Dr. Horrible

#16 2010-10-08 21:04:00

TheSaint
Scratcher

emilypie wrote:

yeah, i think this should get around too. i used to do that. but now i stopped.  tongue

i was just wondering, what if we, before we flag them, ask them NICELY to stop? Like this

Person B: Stupid. Why would I care how YOU feel?
Person A: [Flags]

Or Something like this:

Person A: Oh, sorry, I just don't like these kinds of projects. :c
Person B: Aww, it's ok. [Adds to friends] ^^

so...yeah. i just want that to be cleared up, y'know, if it's OK to do that. 'cause, that's what i sorta do. ^^; I believe too much in second chances, so i always wait for the person to say sorry before I flag. i wouldn't want anyone to get banned 'cause of a misunderstanding.

Also, I've been wondering, when we flag a comment, do you see the replies that were made on that comment, too? Just wondering. And when you flag a comment, and then it gets deleted, do you still see it? those questions have just been bugging meh for a loooong time.  big_smile

I'm going to add a link to this in my siggy in a sec to spread the word.  big_smile

I think that this would be okay, because your comment is not insulting or derogatory. Andremsh has a problem, and rightfully so, with the idea that because one is responding that one is in the right even if they stoop to the level of the original flamer.

I agree with andresmsh.

Last edited by TheSaint (2010-10-09 06:55:47)

#17 2010-10-08 21:29:34

XplodingEggs
Scratcher

Thanks for posting this! But the last time I got a comment like that, I just simply deleted it, because it was just,

random not nice person wrote:

No offense, but this sucks.

So I deleted it. I think that it was not necessary to flag it, since I don't really mind, I hear that kind of thing all the time at my school (not about my projects, nobody else has even heard of scratch in my grade  tongue ) so I'm not really offended when somebody posts something like that. If I'm doing something wrong, please tell me.
And by the way TheSaint,

TheSaint wrote:

I agree with andremsh

You spelled andresmh's name wrong, lol  tongue

http://i54.tinypic.com/102kqr7.jpg

#18 2010-10-08 21:56:37

emilypie
Scratcher

XplodingEggs wrote:

Thanks for posting this! But the last time I got a comment like that, I just simply deleted it, because it was just,

So I deleted it. I think that it was not necessary to flag it, since I don't really mind, I hear that kind of thing all the time at my school (not about my projects, nobody else has even heard of scratch in my grade  tongue ) so I'm not really offended when somebody posts something like that. If I'm doing something wrong, please tell me.

Well, if you don't mind it, but it still isn't very nice, it's a good idea to flag it anyway, as even though it may not be hurtful to you, it could be hurtful to someone else, and, chances are, if they were mean to you, then they are mean to more people, too (hey! that rhymes!  tongue ), and you should bring the attention to the scratch team to make sure they user doesn't do it again to someone more sensitive.

Just for future reference.  smile

"Captain Hammer threw a car at my head." -Dr. Horrible

#19 2010-10-08 22:09:59

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

XplodingEggs wrote:

Flagging automatically deletes the comment while sending a message to the Scratch Team to take a look at the message, so, technically, by flagging, you delete the comment anyway. I would suggest flagging it instead of deleting it outright because, who knows, the person might be doing the same thing to many other projects or galleries besides yours like emilypie stated; flagging allows for the Scratch Team to see if this is a one time comment, or if the user has been doing it frequently (at which point a warning or block may be issued).

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#20 2010-10-09 01:16:12

fullmoon
Retired Community Moderator

I occasionally get project comments like "this sucks"...it doesn't bother me enough to report them, so I just let them stand. But I suppose the same users are probably being nasty to others who might be offended, so in the future I will be sure to report them. Thanks for bringing this up!

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn100/fullmoon32/wow.jpg

#21 2010-10-09 08:04:42

DaGamez
Scratcher

andresmh wrote:

It has come to my attention that there is something a lot of Scratchers do not understand well and I am wondering how to explain.

A lot of people think that it is OK to respond to attacks with more attacks or with threats. This is not acceptable and I would like you to help us spread this message.

Here is a fictional example:

Person A: "Your project sucks."
Person B: "You suck more. I hate you! I am going to flag you and get you banned."

Who is right? A or B? Well, the right answer is neither of them!

We all know that what person A did is against the Scratch Terms of Use. We do take those comments seriously and typically block accounts that post that kind of disrespectful messages.

However, it seems to me that a lot of people think that what Person B responded is fine because she or he "did not started" or because she or he is  "just responding". Well, this is not OK and we often block Person B's account as well.

You are encouraged to flag and report inappropriate content but there is no need to tell people that you are doing it because it only creates more conflicts.

It is not OK to respond to attacks with more attacks.

Please help us spread the word that:

a) Disrespectful comments are not OK
b) Responding to disrespectful comments is also not OK.
c) People should flag disrespectful or inappropriate content, contact the Scratch Team and then ignore it. Do not respond to it publicly because this only creates a cycle of attacks.

If you have suggestions on how to improve this or any other ideas about this, please let us know.

Thanks and Scratch On!

I´m just so obsessive, I had to correct that word, and read the rest one time to read it, and 2 times to check over if there´s any more spelling mistakes  tongue
I agree with this.

http://scratchhtmlviewer.net23.net/image.php?project=1229757&user=DaGamez

#22 2010-10-09 10:12:47

Magnie
Scratcher

Quite agreeable. This should also go with the forums too. When there is something of the sort, don't reply to it. It just messes up what the main topic was suppose to be. If it's for debating, respect everyone's opinions. You may not like them, but you should still respect what his or her opinion.

Edit:

Fullmoon: I am the same too, if I see one of those. I just simply ignore it. It doesn't effect me at all. I should start reporting those...

Last edited by Magnie (2010-10-09 10:15:32)

#23 2010-10-09 10:18:41

littletonkslover
Scratcher

What if it's kinda an inside insult? Like......it's hard to explain. Nevermind -_-"

http://www.coxlab.org/images/rat_banner.jpg
That's the dark nature of capitalism. ~ Wonder Showzen

#24 2010-10-09 15:00:34

fullmoon
Retired Community Moderator

littletonkslover wrote:

What if it's kinda an inside insult? Like......it's hard to explain. Nevermind -_-"

I know what you mean. It's entirely up to you to decide whether you are being harassed or not, so I would report anything that is hurtful to you (but might not necessarily be seen as an insult by anyone else), within reason.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn100/fullmoon32/wow.jpg

#25 2010-10-09 15:02:43

adriangl
Scratcher

Yeah, many users fight fire with fire, but then they are breaking the rules as well. Hopefully, this clears things up for most people.

Scratchin' since 2007

Board footer