This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#101 2010-09-29 19:54:29

lilacfuzz101
Scratcher

Re: Fall 2010 Community Moderator Elections

coolstuff wrote:

Everyone: The decision is final. As moderators, we've known about it for a while, and have had plenty of discussion on this. The rule will be fourteen-year-olds.

For those of you comparing 14-year-olds to 12- and 13-year-olds, I will tell you there is a big difference. In the US of A and most of the world, highschool starts at age 14. When I was in grade 8, I thought "Ha! I'm king of the hill - nobody can defeat me!" But then I got into grade 9, highschool. Now I'm bottom of the stack again. I had a point when I started typing this, but apparently I've forgotten it. The point is, while you may think you've seen everything there is to see (in Elementary school), highschool is loads different. The same goes for age. As a fourteen-year-old, you're probably going to get the most experience you'll ever get, even though you may think as a thirteen-year-old that there's nothing more to it.

It's not about commitment. We are making no stereotypes, it's just that there has to be some sort of cut-off age. Fourteen is quite reasonable as such - it's the age where most kids reach maturity.

And allow me to make one last point: complaining about the age limit really isn't helping prove to us that you're extremely mature.  wink

I'm in the process of writing a topic on what it's like to be a moderator. Expect it in the coming weeks.  smile

true. and if it was 13+ the 12-year olds would complain, ect....

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzqaicLrY01r5wdo7o1_500.gif

#102 2010-09-29 20:09:24

ScratchReallyROCKS
Scratcher

coolstuff wrote:

Everyone: The decision is final. As moderators, we've known about it for a while, and have had plenty of discussion on this. The rule will be fourteen-year-olds.

For those of you comparing 14-year-olds to 12- and 13-year-olds, I will tell you there is a big difference. In the US of A and most of the world, highschool starts at age 14. When I was in grade 8, I thought "Ha! I'm king of the hill - nobody can defeat me!" But then I got into grade 9, highschool. Now I'm bottom of the stack again. I had a point when I started typing this, but apparently I've forgotten it. The point is, while you may think you've seen everything there is to see (in Elementary school), highschool is loads different. The same goes for age. As a fourteen-year-old, you're probably going to get the most experience you'll ever get, even though you may think as a thirteen-year-old that there's nothing more to it.

It's not about commitment. We are making no stereotypes, it's just that there has to be some sort of cut-off age. Fourteen is quite reasonable as such - it's the age where most kids reach maturity.

And allow me to make one last point: complaining about the age limit really isn't helping prove to us that you're extremely mature.  wink

I'm in the process of writing a topic on what it's like to be a moderator. Expect it in the coming weeks.  smile

Alright. Whatever. I don't get what High School experience has anything to do with moderating a kids programming website. Oh well. I don't really care to be a moderator now anyway.

http://imageshack.us/a/img694/3806/sigmad.png

#103 2010-09-29 20:17:08

fg123
Scratcher

I know right. (

Hai.

#104 2010-09-29 20:37:28

Chrischb
Scratcher

rufflebee wrote:

Chrischb wrote:

Hang on... are illusionist and Dazachi leaving because of their age, or another reason (inactivity?)?  hmm

Lightnin wrote:

As a result of these changes, Dazachi and Illusionist will be retiring after the upcoming elections.

It's because of their age.

Oops! Sorry about that... >_<

Poor them.  neutral

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#105 2010-09-29 20:38:24

scmb1
Scratch Team

coolstuff wrote:

And allow me to make one last point: complaining about the age limit really isn't helping prove to us that you're extremely mature.

High five, buddy!  tongue

I agree with all of your arguments. There has to be a cutoff somewhere. Fourteen sounds good to me.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2z5pqad.png

#106 2010-09-29 20:39:46

Chrischb
Scratcher

scmb1 wrote:

coolstuff wrote:

And allow me to make one last point: complaining about the age limit really isn't helping prove to us that you're extremely mature.

+1 XD

#107 2010-09-29 20:41:03

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Chrischb wrote:

scmb1 wrote:

coolstuff wrote:

+1 XD

+1  tongue

(Wow, five pages already... xD)

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#108 2010-09-29 20:41:29

Chrischb
Scratcher

BTW, repost: Does the 14 year rule affect the TBG?

#109 2010-09-29 20:43:11

coolstuff
Community Moderator

Chrischb wrote:

I don't think so... Otherwise nobody would be able to moderate the TBGs! You guys have been doing great; and the TBGs are a very different place than the Scratch forums. I don't think it will be affecting the TBGs.

#110 2010-09-29 20:46:03

Chrischb
Scratcher

coolstuff wrote:

Chrischb wrote:

I don't think so... Otherwise nobody would be able to moderate the TBGs!

There's Ducky. ;D

#111 2010-09-29 20:47:43

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Chrischb wrote:

coolstuff wrote:

Chrischb wrote:

I don't think so... Otherwise nobody would be able to moderate the TBGs!

There's Ducky. ;D

Anyway, most of the TBGers are under 14.  tongue

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#112 2010-09-29 21:05:36

antom99
Scratcher

omg!Ialready had a campaign and everything.Argh!well i guess i could use it in 3 years.

Hello There!  big_smile

#113 2010-09-29 21:37:59

TheSaint
Scratcher

ScratchReallyROCKS wrote:

coolstuff wrote:

Alright. Whatever. I don't get what High School experience has anything to do with moderating a kids programming website. Oh well. I don't really care to be a moderator now anyway.

There are four transistions in an american school system, and mostly true everywhere.
~The first is from Elementary School to Middle school, when a student goes from having one teacher to several. Also, there are usually different class levels at middle school, when at elementary there usually aren't any. (I am generalizing from my experiances from moving across country several times. This could be unaccuarate where you live).

~The second is from Middle School to High school. Work significantly increases. From less than an hour of homework to several. Also, social pressurese start to build with sports, clubs and classes. In high school there are alot more choices, but with them comes much more difficulty. You have to balance social life, sports, school, and free time.

~The Third is from Junoir year to senoir year. You have all of the stuff I explained, but now you have to apply to colleges, scholarships, write essays, fill out forms, get ready for graduation and much more. Its alot of hard work.

~Finally, you get to college, and I really don't know what goes on there. A mix between parties and school is what I have heard from my firends already there.

The reason that high school experiance is relavent is because they know how to balance everything. It also is because once you get to highschool, you have probably seen most things, or if you haven't, you will.

Last edited by TheSaint (2010-09-29 21:40:18)

#114 2010-09-29 21:55:12

fire219
Scratcher

Seriously. 14?   Few Scratchers are 14 and above. VERY few are active. Even less are willing to be mod. Now even less than THAT want to be mod. You are down to about 5-12 people. Not all of those will be elected. Do you think you can do with 3-6 moderators and the ScratchRs? If you want Scratch to turn into Spam City, then yes. Go along with your plans.

Now, get rid of that rule, and you have opened the door to many more possible mods, most very mature, ready to make Scratch a better place, where people of all ages can browse the forums safely, WITH VERY LITTLE SPAM. And likely have fun..

So Scratch Team, what do you want the Scratch Forums to be, Safe and Fun, or full of...

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=256692591941&amp;id=038468201e91d1f80749fbcb8af1b5f1&amp;index=ch1

Thanks for listening to this and hopefully, Scratch On!

From a infuriated 11-year-old/Mod Candidate,
Fire219

http://bluetetrarpg.x10.mx/usercard/img.php?name=fire219

#115 2010-09-29 21:56:24

XplodingEggs
Scratcher

wink

Last edited by XplodingEggs (2010-10-19 23:07:09)

http://i54.tinypic.com/102kqr7.jpg

#116 2010-09-29 21:58:34

fire219
Scratcher

XplodingEggs wrote:

*Slams fist on the desk* WHAT????  mad   mad  *cursing and swearing* *trying very hard not to type those words*
The forums are almost overflowing with spam, flame wars, and inappropriate messages. Retiring Dazachi and illusionist (sorry if I spelled those wrong) will just make it worse. They were doing a great job, and even if they are below the age limit, they have been doing a great job so far, and have shown maturity MUCH greater than that of an average 14 year old.

mad 

And you are eliminating at least 60% of the cantidates, probably more, not to mention upseting lots and lots of people who were going to run. I am under 14, but even though I wasn't going to run for mod, but still I know several scratchers who were going to run, and you have just saddened them all.

I am very disappointed in this new decision.

Amen.

http://bluetetrarpg.x10.mx/usercard/img.php?name=fire219

#117 2010-09-29 22:03:39

ScratchReallyROCKS
Scratcher

TheSaint wrote:

ScratchReallyROCKS wrote:

coolstuff wrote:

There are four transistions in an american school system, and mostly true everywhere.
~The first is from Elementary School to Middle school, when a student goes from having one teacher to several. Also, there are usually different class levels at middle school, when at elementary there usually aren't any. (I am generalizing from my experiances from moving across country several times. This could be unaccuarate where you live).

~The second is from Middle School to High school. Work significantly increases. From less than an hour of homework to several. Also, social pressurese start to build with sports, clubs and classes. In high school there are alot more choices, but with them comes much more difficulty. You have to balance social life, sports, school, and free time.

~The Third is from Junoir year to senoir year. You have all of the stuff I explained, but now you have to apply to colleges, scholarships, write essays, fill out forms, get ready for graduation and much more. Its alot of hard work.

~Finally, you get to college, and I really don't know what goes on there. A mix between parties and school is what I have heard from my firends already there.

The reason that high school experiance is relavent is because they know how to balance everything. It also is because once you get to highschool, you have probably seen most things, or if you haven't, you will.

Yeah, but it's a KIDS website. Scratch won't cause hard work or hours of homework.

Whatever. I don't care anymore anyway.

http://imageshack.us/a/img694/3806/sigmad.png

#118 2010-09-29 22:04:44

Lightnin
Scratch Team

XplodingEggs wrote:

*Slams fist on the desk* WHAT????  mad   mad  *cursing and swearing* *trying very hard not to type those words*
The forums are almost overflowing with spam, flame wars, and inappropriate messages. Retiring Dazachi and illusionist (sorry if I spelled those wrong) will just make it worse. They were doing a great job, and even if they are below the age limit, they have been doing a great job so far, and have shown maturity MUCH greater than that of an average 14 year old.

I am very disappointed in this new decision.

I'm sorry to hear you are disappointed, and I can understand why. And I can't disagree with your assertion that Dazachi and Illusionist were both doing a great job - that's absolutely true. But for reasons discussed upthread, this age limit is the best of a set of difficult choices.

Help Scratchers make the leap to 2.0!
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6844/transitionteam.jpg

#119 2010-09-29 22:45:46

Blade-Edge
Scratcher

I love this
I'm sorry, I'm a horrible person, I know
I just love it

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5145/scratchycat.gif CLASSY

#120 2010-09-29 23:06:27

scratch_yoshi
Scratcher

...  sad
Well, there goes my chances for another 3 and a half years....
Objection!

Last edited by scratch_yoshi (2010-09-29 23:13:23)

Retired from Scratch, but just the language itself. Not the forums.

#121 2010-09-29 23:08:56

XplodingEggs
Scratcher

Lightnin wrote:

...And I can't disagree with your assertion that Dazachi and Illusionist were both doing a great job - that's absolutely true. But for reasons discussed upthread, this age limit is the best of a set of difficult choices.

Well seeing as neither of them have said anything on this thread, I would like to know what they think of this change. and since they have been doing a great job, I see no reason to dethrone them unless they want to. Since I know many 13 and 12 year olds are much more mature than any 14 year olds I know, I think they would do just as good a job as anyone who was 14.

And by the way, how did the scratch team come up with this decision? Did they call a meeting, with the main topic being, 'you know, we should have an age limit on being a moderator'? Or did they have some sort of provocation, like that people running did not seem mature enough?

I think that you could do a good enough job picking, and age has nothing to do with maturity. I personally find it very offending, since I consider myself much more mature than most of the 14 year olds at my school, even though I'm only 12, and I think that its absolutely pointless to have this rule, since you could simply just select people that were over 14, if it was really That necessary. Its just pointless and redundant, since you could just hand pick the ones that you though were more mature, instead of simply disappointing them all in one single forum thread.

This new rule will surely lead to good users trolling and flaming.

Last edited by XplodingEggs (2010-10-19 23:07:36)

http://i54.tinypic.com/102kqr7.jpg

#122 2010-09-30 00:04:42

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

If anyone doesn't mind me adding my two cents on the age issue: ever wonder why most websites put an age restriction at around 14 years? There are a lot of security measures in place with which to protect minors (such as COPPA in the U.S., for example). The internet can be a good place, but it can be a bad place as well - these security acts are in place to protect minors from gaining access to what most people consider inappropriate for those under around 14 years of age.

Granted that there are those younger than 14 who act more mature (and those older than 14 who act immature, but that is besides the point), but with some of the content that moderators have to deal with at time at times (such as pornography, for example), it becomes a rather risky thing to have someone underage being exposed to this, aside from the other pressures of being a moderator.

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#123 2010-09-30 00:40:43

fg123
Scratcher

But you see, I've dealt with these things before. Pornography, cusswords, swearing, etc. I've done all those before. I've had to do it.

Hai.

#124 2010-09-30 00:46:33

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

fg123 wrote:

But you see, I've dealt with these things before. Pornography, cusswords, swearing, etc. I've done all those before. I've had to do it.

Maybe, but the Scratch Team is still uncomfortable with younger users seeing it, hence the age limit.

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#125 2010-09-30 02:46:01

helltank
Scratcher

I understand the Scratch Team's POV, but look at ours. Imagine, cheddargirl, that you weren't a mod, just a caring and helpful user. Suddenly, you spot something. OMG! It's the moderator elections! You put in hours into making your speech. You're so passionate that you receive general approval and are a favorite to winning the elections. Then pretend you're only 11, and the Scratch Team slams this down. Now multiply that frustration by 10, and you will see why there's so much protest and flame wars.

Error:Signature could not load. Please wait for an indefinite amount of time, until you realize you're gullible and go off to look for another potentially interesting signature to stare at.

Board footer