This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2010-09-28 14:54:07

moocow98
Scratcher

Getting Started Tutorial/Basics

START BY OPENING A BLANK SCRATCH PROJECT NOW IF YOU WANT TO USE THIS LIKE A TUTORIAL.make sure you can see the scratch window and this window.
..........................................................................................................................
This topic will cover some basics for your first few projects, and also basics about navigation of the site.You can work in a blank project as you read if you want. feel free to add anything I miss. To start, let's explain this block:

[blocks]<when green flag clicked>[/blocks]

drag this onto your script.

then, add this block:

[blocks]<move( 10 )steps>[/blocks]

you should see this:

now, click the green flag in the corner. the cat should move. now, I'll give a description of each basic item:

To start:
The green flag. When you click this, it will start any scripts that begin with the

block. This leads me to define script and block:

Block- one piece, like

for example.

Script- Several blocks strung together that control a sprite's actions.

Sprite- The item on the "stage that the scripts control. An example is the orange scratch cat the you see when you first open scratch, labeled "Sprite1."

Stage- The area that everything happens on.

I'll cover backgrounds and costumes in a later post.

(Later posts on this topic will be more in-depth)

This is like an intro- all for now.

-moocow  wink

MOOCOW'S PAGE!! The weasley twins' epic quotes! "You'd know all about that, wouldn't you, Mad-Eye?... Just tryin' to diffuse the tennnsion."
*balances fork in ear, picks up coffee mug.* 'Morrrnin."

#2 2010-09-28 22:17:46

moocow98
Scratcher

Re: Getting Started Tutorial/Basics

In the last post, I covered some basic terms. Now let's put them to use.Look at the script you made with the two blocks. This is what makes the sprite move whenever you click the flag- now let's make something else happen:

Graphics basics:
Below the move steps block add:

[blocks]<change[color  ]effect by( 25 )[blocks]

Now click the flag again. The cat sprite will move and change color.You can do this with any change effect by block.

MOOCOW'S PAGE!! The weasley twins' epic quotes! "You'd know all about that, wouldn't you, Mad-Eye?... Just tryin' to diffuse the tennnsion."
*balances fork in ear, picks up coffee mug.* 'Morrrnin."

Board footer