This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2007-07-24 20:07:20

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

When flagging a project as inappropriate

When you flag a project as inappropriate, you are now asked to type in a reason.

Your reason can be very brief. Even very short explanations can help us in evaluating whether to delete the project.

Your reasons are sent only to the MIT Scratch team, and they will not be viewed by anyone outside the team. In particular, the reasons will not be viewed by the creator of the project.

Please note that projects are automatically deleted when the number of flags passes a certain threshold. This automatic process is useful to prevent inappropriate projects being on the site for long periods of time while the Scratch team is not checking emails (for example, late at night). The Scratch team can later restore an automatically-deleted project if it finds that the project is appropriate for the site.

More work needs to be done on the flagging system, but we believe that this is a step forward.

We would like to thank AngelEyra for implementing this new feature.

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#2 2007-08-08 21:10:39

Lanie624
Scratcher

Re: When flagging a project as inappropriate

WELL WHAT ABOUT PEOPLE WITH INAPPROPRIATE  SCRATCH NAMES CAN YOU FLAG THAT
THERE IS A PERSON WHO HAS A NAME CALLED [removed] THAT IS INAPPROPRIATE FOR YOUNG USERS>

Last edited by Paddle2See (2011-09-15 18:17:15)

smile

#3 2007-08-08 21:42:51

plumberry
Scratcher

smile  good move.  smile

Hello Scratchers!  Please check out my "Invisible Children" project.  I created it to raise awareness about the children in Uganda, Africa.  The film "Invisible Children" is very moving, yet inspiring.  I hope that I can inform as many people as I can about The crisis in Uganda.  Thank you  smile   Here is the link http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/plumberry/135831

#4 2007-08-08 21:52:15

natalie
Scratch Team

I just deleted the account with the inappropriate name you mentioned. It's a good idea for us to filter names too. In the meantime, please use the Contact Us form (click link below) or "Flag as inappropriate" if you see anything inappropriate. Thank you!

#5 2007-08-08 23:14:50

Lanie624
Scratcher

YOUR WELCOME I JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW!!! SCRATCH IS AWESOME

smile

#6 2007-08-08 23:59:09

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

I made some changes to the signup form. It should now prevent the user of inappropriate words as part of the username. Of course, there are clever ways of circumventing it but it's a start.

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#7 2007-10-13 19:13:48

Sweetpea41197
Scratcher

They could always put .'s in the middle of each letter......

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.

#8 2007-10-13 21:41:33

ElMikkino
Scratcher

And they could also use @ and $. Also, can you not use something like "assistant" in a username now?

Certified Bunnay Agent
--------ElMikkino-----------

#9 2007-10-16 17:14:19

Sweetpea41197
Scratcher

Hmm, i've been wondering that too, probably you can, because its just a word.
Not the "Bad" Word alone.

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.

#10 2007-12-22 09:41:54

Toasty
Scratcher

Yeah but there's this person Dreameater and s/he has loads of innapropriate projects but no one seems to notice and I've just started anew gallery and s/he even added in a project that had been taken off the web

http://i44.tinypic.com/263wpxe.png
Lovin' Toast

#11 2007-12-22 13:23:47

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

Toasty,

Have you flagged Dreameater's projects as inappropriate?  There are over 57,000 projects on the web site, and no one has time to look at them all.  That is why there is the 'flag" option—so that users who do stumble across one of the (luckily rare) inappropriate projects can let the ScratchR team know to look at the project and remove it if necessary.

Note: as a forum moderator, I can remove inappropriate messages from the forum (and I do), but I can't do anything about projects or comments: only the ScratchR team and the project originator can remove projects and only the ScratchR team or the project or gallery owner can remove comments.

#12 2007-12-22 16:53:35

NobodyKnowsNorune
Scratcher

Many people steal archmage's projects change nothing then add it, and i have flagged them for that, I do use archmages game in some of mine but I try to change alot add new sprites and make new costume for things

My name is Riley                                        I ride a unicycle

#13 2007-12-22 17:54:13

Lanie624
Scratcher

I dont like downloading ppls projects because it makes me feel like i did nothing an just added stuff!  But sometimes i do for certain moves like Jumping, Scrolling, and other scripts

smile

#14 2007-12-23 01:16:50

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

The purpose of downloading projects is to read them and see how they did things.
Several of my projects are intended primarily for that purpose.  For example, the "school pinball" game my son and I wrote (http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/kevin_and_abe/54377) is intended to be a tutorial on how to make things bounce off other objects.  (We used the comment blocks from v1.2beta to explain things.)

If you want to avoid remixing, just start new projects once you have understood the techniques of a project you have read.  You can still give credit for the inspiration, even if you are starting from scratch.  (See my notes on my flashlight project, which gives credit to Jens for his flashlight project that inspired mine.)

#15 2007-12-24 09:10:23

EdnaC
Scratcher

kevin_karplus wrote:

... just start new projects once you have understood the techniques of a project you have read...

This is a great way to learn.!  There are many ways of doing things in a program, studying what others did, then trying to replicate it in your own way is a great idea.

Often when I cook, I use the recipe only to get the ingredients out, then do it "my way" and maybe add a few new ingredients.  If the dish turns out better, I update the recipe, if not, well, nobody has died from eating my cooking!

I'm working on a series of projects about Velocity, Gravity, Jumping, etc. with the idea of helping to explain these, I hope that people download and study them and improve on them.

-Mr Ed

#16 2008-02-04 18:30:00

richiepoo
Scratcher

Scratch is the best!!! I use it to make games on my mac because Game Maker won't work and the demos for mac based game makers stink. I found out about Scratch on the make website, when I saw the ad I thought man just what I need. Scratch is the BEST!!!!!

big_smile   big_smile   big_smile   big_smile

#17 2008-06-19 14:39:04

registeel
Scratcher

Something good for this is the Scratch Agents...

#18 2008-06-30 22:11:46

Saphirelight
Scratcher

Exuse me, I think that on scratch, you should be able to flag a user, if they have an inapropriate name, or make innapropriate projects constantly nonstop.
Thanks!

-Saphirelight

#19 2008-07-01 21:43:07

mletreat
Scratcher

Saphirelight wrote:

Exuse me, I think that on scratch, you should be able to flag a user, if they have an inapropriate name, or make innapropriate projects constantly nonstop.
Thanks!

-Saphirelight

If you feel you need to notify us of any inappropriate behavior, names, or other material, please click on "Contact Us" at the bottom of every page.  Then, we can review and take action if necessary. 

Thanks!

#20 2008-08-01 17:41:46

garfieldfan101
Scratcher

Toasty wrote:

Yeah but there's this person Dreameater and s/he has loads of innapropriate projects but no one seems to notice and I've just started anew gallery and s/he even added in a project that had been taken off the web

Most of his projects are good projects but why are they doing that?

[blocks]
<when[ Dreameater's flagged projects ]clicked> <say[ OMIGOD HOW COULD U ]for( infinty )secs>

#21 2008-08-06 04:42:39

yambanshee
Scratcher

EdnaC wrote:

kevin_karplus wrote:

... just start new projects once you have understood the techniques of a project you have read...

This is a great way to learn.!  There are many ways of doing things in a program, studying what others did, then trying to replicate it in your own way is a great idea.

Often when I cook, I use the recipe only to get the ingredients out, then do it "my way" and maybe add a few new ingredients.  If the dish turns out better, I update the recipe, if not, well, nobody has died from eating my cooking!

I'm working on a series of projects about Velocity, Gravity, Jumping, etc. with the idea of helping to explain these, I hope that people download and study them and improve on them.

-Mr Ed

Also by studying other peoples scripts (rather then just copying them) you have a knoledge of exactly what is happening and then using that knoledge you can modify the scripts in your own unique way to improve them to your certin project.

#22 2008-08-14 15:01:21

catowner
Scratcher

if you make several accounts you could ban somones projects. I don't think this is a good idea

there are 3 kinds of people: those who are good at math and those who are good at speling.

#23 2008-08-14 15:08:55

Zelda123
Scratcher

catowner wrote:

if you make several accounts you could ban somones projects. I don't think this is a good idea

No because the Scratch Team reviews the projects after a flag and if nothing is bad then they put it back up.

#24 2008-08-17 10:51:17

swimmero8
Scratcher

hey guys! i got in my message box a letter of terms of usetwo times! why did i??

#25 2008-08-20 18:33:36

J0j2
Scratcher

Thanks for making this annocment! SOOO Many people don't know that.

Happiness is a habit. You can help the world practice happiness a little more. Visit the 'Happiness List' below and post a list of 100 things that make you happy!
http://i.imgur.com/dMpk2.jpg?1?4499

Board footer