This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2010-09-01 00:33:43

momontheroad
New Scratcher

How can I start a Scratch club at my local library?

My son loves Scratch and would love to start a Scratch Club.  He wants to meet other kids locally who also love Scratch, and he also wants to share Scratch with kids who haven't encountered it yet.  He's only 10, so he'd need my help organizing a Scratch Club. 

I need concrete ideas for putting this together.

Any ideas?

#2 2010-09-02 08:16:15

DarkForce1998
Scratcher

Re: How can I start a Scratch club at my local library?

First of all you would need to get permission from your local library to download scratch onto the computers.
Once you get permisson put up poster at the library telling people about the club. Put your e-mail on the poster so people can get further details for the club.
That's about it hopefully that will get things started.
(The chances of getting permission are very high) Goodluck!

http://i55.tinypic.com/2qw381g.png

#3 2010-09-02 17:12:15

Lucario621
Community Moderator

Nice to see that your son loves Scratch  smile .

So for setting something up like a Scratch Club or even just a Scratch Event, there's lots of resources that can be found here. These are actually resources for Scratch Day events; but a good portion can definitely be applied to what you want to do, such as activity planning and such  smile .

http://i.imgur.com/WBkM2QQ.png

#4 2010-09-03 12:44:30

Locomule
Scratcher

You are gonna need at least two turntables, a PA system, A microphone... just kidding  tongue

The library itself should have a lot of ideas about hosting any kind of club, ask them. You really need an older tech-type person(s) familiar with Scratch who can oversee the startup of the club as well as drop in occasionally, in my opinion.

And we can help, send them to this forum when they have scripting questions.

aka Pain from DragonSpires, Delrith Online, BotBattle, Urban Dead etc etc lol

#5 2010-09-03 18:12:51

coolperson
Scratcher

Adding on to what everyone else said,
You might also want a projecter, and a good number of laptops/netbooks/CPUs.

Coolperson- 2012 National Vex Robotics Finalist!
http://www.scratch.mit.edu/ext/youtube/?v=sn7p84DQFyk

#6 2010-09-03 18:19:43

TeleContest
Scratcher

I organized one of these for about a month, and it was always very helpful for me to have at least one or two members who were very good at scratch, to answer the flood of questions from the rest of the group.

#7 2010-09-03 18:20:53

Sunrise-Moon
Scratcher

TeleContest wrote:

I organized one of these for about a month, and it was always very helpful for me to have at least one or two members who were very good at scratch, to answer the flood of questions from the rest of the group.

What happened in the end?

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u427/HulKDzN/RebornBlade.png

#8 2010-09-04 01:01:07

momontheroad
New Scratcher

Thanks for the advice offered so far.  You've all been generous.  I will use it all.  Problem is this:  where do I find another adult experienced with Scratch to help out?
I have tried to learn Scratch, but I haven't had time.  My son is quite good with Scratch- but he's only ten.

Would it be possible for me to be there as an adult advisor, and then to have just a few kids, like my son who are good at Scratch, who can be resources for kids who are new to Scratch?

#9 2010-09-04 06:06:48

Wolfie1996
Retired Community Moderator

ScratchED might be a useful thing to look at for starting a Scratch Club - there are a wide variety of resources, including lesson plans, tutorials, and a forum especially for educators to ask questions and help one another to both learn and teach Scratch.  smile

Other things that I can find from around the website that might be useful in learning how to use various aspects of Scratch are:

Scratch Video Tutorials - shows some uses of Scratch blocks to create simple projects, giving a good introduction to the blocks, in easy to follow audio-visual tutorials

Scratch Wiki - goes more in-depth than the video tutorials, and explains just about every part of both the Scratch website - from costumes and motion blocks to galleries and forums.

Scratch FAQ - Covers a lot of questions to do with Scratch

Scratch Educators page - Contains a number of PDFs, and useful links to teach Scratch with.

Hope this helps - and best of luck with your Scratch Club  big_smile

"...Jargon - the practice of never calling a spade a spade, when you might instead call it a manual earth-restructing implement..." - Bill Bryson, Mother Tongue

#10 2010-09-04 12:59:34

coolperson
Scratcher

If you live anywhere near boston, the Scratch Team is built up of MIT students, so you could see about getting one of them. If you live somwhere more than an hour away, I suggest asking around on the forums or using those resorces.

Coolperson- 2012 National Vex Robotics Finalist!
http://www.scratch.mit.edu/ext/youtube/?v=sn7p84DQFyk

Board footer