This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#2001 2010-08-12 13:27:48

snailly
Scratcher

Re: Become a Curator on the Scratch Homepage

yo can I please become the scratch curator for a week or two?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Snailly  cool
nothin' is better than a project from snailly
http://scratch.mit.edu/users/snailly  smile

#2002 2010-08-12 15:22:52

zorket
Scratcher

If i was curator, i would pick very advanced projects that got no attention. They problaby feel bad with no attention to thier projects. I would also pick projects that several would enjoy.

Marzipan11 must learn to not spoil

#2003 2010-08-12 15:23:36

MangaQueen
Scratcher

I would like to be curator.♥♥♥♥♥

And so america's economy got chewed up, spit out, then it got kicked. multiple times. THEN it went flying through a window, faceplanted into some concrete, then 10 buses ran over it.  big_smile

#2004 2010-08-12 17:52:35

snailly
Scratcher

cool      I would like to become a curator, because I am looking for ways to improve the way scratch projects work. I've been experimenting with different velocities and theories, as well as the math section of scratch, and I'm trying to recreate classic games using scratch. I've worked on games such as n-ball, the classic online game, the impossible game, from addicting games, and Sinta, from ninja kiwi. As well, I am trying to create fun new games, many of which scrolling games, such as wine world, the fun game where you have to get through a huge obstacle course, all within 70 seconds! Some of my ideas for scratch projects, have been invisible sensors that can detect slopes and walls (to prevent glitching and color coding), and sprites that can be modified to be up to ten times larger than the screen! Another idea I had was making a list, and adding a new spot for each enemy in an rpg that controls their individual scrolling factors, as well as health. Also, I came up with a way to make many moving sprites at the same time, only using on sprite. My biggest idea, one that I am currently on a quest to do, is create a mod on scratch that can add a third dimension by measuring all of the sides, as well as the top and bottom of a sprite, and then re-creating different appearances for each different FOV angle, hopefully without using ink.
     If I became a curator, the kind of projects I would show are projects that help the community of scratchers build off of each other’s ideas, and come up with new ideas to make programming on scratch with the available tools easier, and better. My biggest goal would be some kind of breakthrough. Whether it be a third dimension of rotating, or more advanced starter templates that further show the technical uses of scratch, such as sprites that even when inactive, move their body in slight movements up and down, or even breathing or arms swaying a bit. Or perhaps a way to make a new sprite for each body part (hands, feet, arms, legs, and so on), or even sprites that simply act as ligaments allowing the main sprite more freedom to move around without the need for many different costumes.
     I'd love to become curator.  My goal for becoming a curator is to favorite projects that are not only good but low viewed. I will do that If I become a scratch curator because sometimes I wonder how it feels to have a project you worked really hard on ignored completely. I feel that If I become a curator I will shine the light of reconition on the good projects unseen. I've always wanted to play a major role of Scratch and I think this is my dream came true. I live in the scratch community by a few simple guidelines:
-Respect all the way I would like to be respected
-Help others
-Give credit if my projects are made with something from other peoples project
-Think before I do something
-treat others the way you want to be treated
-No publicity stunts
And the most IMPORTANT RULE:
-Have fun!
Not only will I pick games to be favorited but I will also pick Art, Animations, simulations, and more! Projects that I will pick (If I become a Scratch curator) will be all great in there own sort of way and I will make projects saying why I favorited it so that scratchers can construct from there to make there project even more! The only ones that will be favorited are the ones that in my opinion deserve to be.  Being part of the Scratch community isn't about being popular, it's about being friendly towards others and using your imagination wisely to create the best projects you can. Anyway I would love to become a Scratch curator! It's sounds like a wonderful idea! I would choose projects that are of good quality, have no glitches and are fun to play or watch. I would also choose projects that have been made whole-heartedly and that the user has put a full effort into making.  I definitely agree with this idea! It's a great way to encourage users to look at other people's projects more often instead of mostly expecting others to look at their own. It's also a good way to get users to look at many different types of projects instead of just one in particular.     Now, I am not exactly popular on the scratch website. Not many people besides my friends in real life view my projects, or comment about them. However, I am NOT doing this for popularity. I would even be willing to make a new account just for curator business. But there are a lot of great scratchers out there, like BOSOX, and KERORO645, and M44, and ADDZERO. I know that if we ALL work together, and build off of each other, we can do amazing things. Scratch is like a 1960 artificial intelligence lab for kids and adults. It addresses you a problem, and it is completely up to you to solve it. So I think it's our duty as scratchers to show our thanks, and keep turning scratch into one of the biggest sensations on the web! Before I knew about this website, I was stuck making incredibly simple games that hardly even worked. Now, with the help of other scratchers, I amaze myself with all of my projects, and I am proud. That's why I want to be a Curator! To show my thanks to all of the people who helped scratch get where it is, and to help everyone on scratch reach their full potential!
Also, I would love to become a scratch curator because I would like to be able to show people games that people have put lots of hard work into, and are innovative. There are many projects that are ignored because of the huge amount of animations, art and 'add yourself' projects. I have nothing against these kinds of projects but some people have manged to make great things, but are ignored.  Having a section for 'clever' projects on the front page would also allow people new to scratch to see how to use scratch and then they would be able to make great projects, which would then help other scratchers progress and eventually make everyone on the site better at programming, which is a brilliant help in the 21st century. Altogether, I could help the whole scratch community learn how to make great projects, and allow people who are ignored to shine.

Great choice, Scratch Team! 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Snailly
nothin' is better than a project from snailly  smile
http://scratch.mit.edu/users/snailly :p
everyone loves snailly's projects!!!  cool

#2005 2010-08-12 17:56:44

henley
Scratcher

snailly wrote:

cool      I would like to become a curator, because I am looking for ways to improve the way scratch projects work. I've been experimenting with different velocities and theories, as well as the math section of scratch, and I'm trying to recreate classic games using scratch. I've worked on games such as n-ball, the classic online game, the impossible game, from addicting games, and Sinta, from ninja kiwi. As well, I am trying to create fun new games, many of which scrolling games, such as wine world, the fun game where you have to get through a huge obstacle course, all within 70 seconds! Some of my ideas for scratch projects, have been invisible sensors that can detect slopes and walls (to prevent glitching and color coding), and sprites that can be modified to be up to ten times larger than the screen! Another idea I had was making a list, and adding a new spot for each enemy in an rpg that controls their individual scrolling factors, as well as health. Also, I came up with a way to make many moving sprites at the same time, only using on sprite. My biggest idea, one that I am currently on a quest to do, is create a mod on scratch that can add a third dimension by measuring all of the sides, as well as the top and bottom of a sprite, and then re-creating different appearances for each different FOV angle, hopefully without using ink.
     If I became a curator, the kind of projects I would show are projects that help the community of scratchers build off of each other’s ideas, and come up with new ideas to make programming on scratch with the available tools easier, and better. My biggest goal would be some kind of breakthrough. Whether it be a third dimension of rotating, or more advanced starter templates that further show the technical uses of scratch, such as sprites that even when inactive, move their body in slight movements up and down, or even breathing or arms swaying a bit. Or perhaps a way to make a new sprite for each body part (hands, feet, arms, legs, and so on), or even sprites that simply act as ligaments allowing the main sprite more freedom to move around without the need for many different costumes.
     I'd love to become curator.  My goal for becoming a curator is to favorite projects that are not only good but low viewed. I will do that If I become a scratch curator because sometimes I wonder how it feels to have a project you worked really hard on ignored completely. I feel that If I become a curator I will shine the light of reconition on the good projects unseen. I've always wanted to play a major role of Scratch and I think this is my dream came true. I live in the scratch community by a few simple guidelines:
-Help others
-No publicity stunts
-Have fun!
Not only will I pick games to be favorited but I will also pick Art, Animations, simulations, and more! Projects that I will pick (If I become a Scratch curator) will be all great in there own sort of way and I will make projects saying why I favorited it so that scratchers can construct from there to make there project even more! The only ones that will be favorited are the ones that in my opinion deserve to be.  Being part of the Scratch community isn't about being popular, it's about being friendly towards others and using your imagination wisely to create the best projects you can. Anyway I would love to become a Scratch curator! It's sounds like a wonderful idea! I would choose projects that are of good quality, have no glitches and are fun to play or watch. I would also choose projects that have been made whole-heartedly and that the user has put a full effort into making.  I definitely agree with this idea! It's a great way to encourage users to look at other people's projects more often instead of mostly expecting others to look at their own. It's also a good way to get users to look at many different types of projects instead of just one in particular.     Now, I am not exactly popular on the scratch website. Not many people besides my friends in real life view my projects, or comment about them. However, I am NOT doing this for popularity. I would even be willing to make a new account just for curator business. But there are a lot of great scratchers out there, like BOSOX, and KERORO645, and M44, and ADDZERO. I know that if we ALL work together, and build off of each other, we can do amazing things. Scratch is like a 1960 artificial intelligence lab for kids and adults. It addresses you a problem, and it is completely up to you to solve it. So I think it's our duty as scratchers to show our thanks, and keep turning scratch into one of the biggest sensations on the web! Before I knew about this website, I was stuck making incredibly simple games that hardly even worked. Now, with the help of other scratchers, I amaze myself with all of my projects, and I am proud. That's why I want to be a Curator! To show my thanks to all of the people who helped scratch get where it is, and to help everyone on scratch reach their full potential!
Also, I would love to become a scratch curator because I would like to be able to show people games that people have put lots of hard work into, and are innovative. There are many projects that are ignored because of the huge amount of animations, art and 'add yourself' projects. I have nothing against these kinds of projects but some people have manged to make great things, but are ignored.  Having a section for 'clever' projects on the front page would also allow people new to scratch to see how to use scratch and then they would be able to make great projects, which would then help other scratchers progress and eventually make everyone on the site better at programming, which is a brilliant help in the 21st century. Altogether, I could help the whole scratch community learn how to make great projects, and allow people who are ignored to shine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Snailly

Or

MangaQueen wrote:

Who do you think would be curator out of these two? The pleading sentence with hearts, or the seven paragraph speech of awe?

"I've worked so hard for you and you give me nothing in return. Do you need help... Or do I?"

#2006 2010-08-12 18:18:02

snailly
Scratcher

henley wrote:

snailly wrote:

-Help others
-No publicity stunts
-Have fun!

-Snailly

Or

MangaQueen wrote:

Who do you think would be curator out of these two? The pleading sentence with hearts, or the seven paragraph speech of awe?

the seven paragraph speech of awe.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Snailly
nothin' is better than a project from Snailly  smile

#2007 2010-08-12 21:17:44

cupcake162
Scratcher

I would probably put up projects like platformers, scrollings, and games. I would also put up virtual stuff or thinngs that interact

#2008 2010-08-14 08:36:33

mopper2
Scratcher

i would like to be a curator i would show lots of realy cool games like one i think are cool from new memmbers that knowone knows about
thanks,
sinceerly, mopper2<go to[ scratch]

MOPPER2

#2009 2010-08-15 00:43:24

Sunrise-Moon
Scratcher

I'd love to be a curator because I want to get some good projects that really deserve it to be on the front page and I want to put helpful projects up so that new scratchers can easily learn how to program and use Scratch.

Last edited by Sunrise-Moon (2010-08-15 00:44:31)

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u427/HulKDzN/RebornBlade.png

#2010 2010-08-15 04:40:12

LS97
Scratcher

snailly wrote:

henley wrote:

snailly wrote:

cool      I would like to become a curator, [speech removed by LS97 (too long lol)]
-Snailly

Or

MangaQueen wrote:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Snailly

definitely  tongue
i've been the 26th curator (my speech is back on page 43), and i can tell you that we need these types of curators. because, if you think about it, there's not THAT many good / awesome / great / active scratchers on the site. that's why i can name some great curators:
- cheddargirl (no. 1)
- illusionist (no. 20)
- JSO (no. 9)
- me (no. 26)
- coolstuff (no. 6)
- Crischb (no. 24)
- fullmoon (no. 11)

i can't say th same for the last 5... (with exceptions of course)
WE NEED AWESOME CURATORS  tongue

edit
oh, btw, try getting a real sig next time, snailly

edit2
i need to find the time to read that post...  tongue

edit3
i read half of it. that good enough  big_smile

Last edited by LS97 (2010-08-15 04:45:12)

#2011 2010-08-15 11:01:14

coolstuff
Community Moderator

snailly wrote:

henley wrote:

snailly wrote:

cool      I would like to become a curator, [etc...]
-Snailly

Or

MangaQueen wrote:

-Snailly

To be honest with you, it doesn't really matter all that much what you write. Look at what I wrote:

The Coolstuff of May 2009 wrote:

I wouldn't mind being a curator...
Sounds cool!

And I became curator #6  tongue

#2012 2010-08-15 11:02:52

gettysburg11
Scratcher

Then how does the Scratch team pick curators? Is it just based on their interests so the whole community is represented?

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh184/mnacmilan/LOGO_ACMILAN-Splash.gif

#2013 2010-08-15 11:09:08

coolstuff
Community Moderator

gettysburg11 wrote:

Then how does the Scratch team pick curators? Is it just based on their interests so the whole community is represented?

I'm not sure... I know Paddle2See suggested a variety of users he thought would be great for the job when the position was first created, and as I understand it a lot of those users went on to be curators... but that list has probably exhausted itself by now. It's probably a careful process of reviewing how the user is as a person  smile

#2014 2010-08-15 11:09:37

Wolfie1996
Retired Community Moderator

gettysburg11 wrote:

I guess it's also down to general behaviour in the community - if someone had a history of being mean/ganging up on others/favouriting inappropriate projects/something else that isn't good, the likelihood of them becoming a curator might be quite slim...

But I guess a lot of it is based on what their interests are, and trying to vary them from curator to curator...  smile

EDIT: Outposted.

"...Jargon - the practice of never calling a spade a spade, when you might instead call it a manual earth-restructing implement..." - Bill Bryson, Mother Tongue

#2015 2010-08-15 16:30:48

barj
Scratcher

Can I become a Curator??????

#2016 2010-08-15 16:40:35

gobbii
Scratcher

I would like to become curator: I think I would try to choose a variety of projects including the six main tags:story, game, animation, art, and the others which i can't remember so that everyone would be happy:) I would try to select things I could tell took a lot of effort, and deserved more views that they had.

Last edited by gobbii (2010-08-15 16:49:32)

#2017 2010-08-15 17:41:39

ps1c
Scratcher

i would like to be curator. it sounds awesome!!!!
i always go on scratch every day.
plus i pick ones that are featured,and ones that deserve it.

Life has its ups and downs.
http://www.pokestadium.com/pokemon/trainercard/trainercard.php?b=Ps1c&amp;i=dpm6&amp;a=red&amp;c=004&amp;d=010&amp;e=133&amp;f=025&amp;g=155&amp;h=249

#2018 2010-08-15 18:25:21

beastboy123
Scratcher

Hi Scratch Team!

I would like to apply to be a curator. I really would like to help unknown Scratchers become known by curating their projects. I love games and animations, and I enjoy simulation projects as well. I go on Scratch every day so you can trust I will update curated projects regularly. I also try to post helpful and positive comments on everyone's projects. Here is a link to my page:

http://scratch.mit.edu/users/beastboy123

Please consider me as a curator!

Come check out my page where I have many great games like Gobo Ranch and Stick Guy! http://scratch.mit.edu/users/beastboy123       http://imgur.com/rvxigl.jpg

#2019 2010-08-15 18:41:46

lasc12
Scratcher

Can I re-enter? My old entry was lame. Can it just not be counted?

Thus I have spoken.

#2020 2010-08-16 01:44:59

Chrischb
Scratcher

You're allowed to enter as many times as you want.  smile

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#2021 2010-08-16 09:01:21

Louis2018
Scratcher

Can I be curator?

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/4547/louis2018.gif

#2022 2010-08-16 16:32:55

sharmar
Scratcher

Can I be Curator  smilebig_smile   lol

#2023 2010-08-16 18:05:45

pacos99
Scratcher

I always wanted to be a curator and see what it was like. It sounds like a pretty good job! It also sounds fun! I would choose the most fun projects! They seem like the best kind of entertainment!

Last edited by pacos99 (2010-08-16 18:11:35)

#2024 2010-08-16 18:11:47

HughyHugh
Scratcher

Can I be a curator....

#2025 2010-08-16 18:18:25

thesuperguidegames
Scratcher

i would like to be a curator  smile

Follow me on Miiverse! Nintendo Network ID- thesuperguide
http://i.picasion.com/pic56/22ee6f601a64d8b687b01f4af2d41734.gif