This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#26 2007-08-08 15:24:02

mkolpnji
Scratcher

Re: Newest projects section removed from front page

It's awesome that the newest projects section is back  smile

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww232/mkolpnji/signaturebanner.gif

#27 2007-08-09 14:45:30

Mick
Scratcher

You could get views by writing about your project in the show and tell section of the forums.

Go to www.legoless.com
It's my blog.  big_smile

#28 2007-08-26 09:39:24

brie700
Scratcher

andresmh wrote:

We decided to remove the newest project section because a number of complains about inappropriate projects being in the front page.

As most of you know every time someone flags a project as inappropriate we get an email, we look at the project and decide whether or not it should be removed.  Also, if a project gets flagged for more than certain number of times it gets automatically removed.

This means that an inappropriate project can be on the front page until it reaches the maximum number of flags, or it is removed by an administrator or it's pushed into the secondary pages by other newer projects. This can take minutes or hours.

We really like having the newest projects on the front page because it gave everyone the opportunity to have a big audience. However, while we have a better system to control inappropriate content we are taking down this section from the page.

Apologies. It is sad that that a few bad projects can make our community lose some features but we are trying to balance different valid points.

before that i had to make a project against swearing and foul langue

I am a fun sporty Mets fan  big_smile

#29 2007-08-30 21:52:55

dinther
Scratcher

I know everyone want a moment in the spot light and it is nice that the new project section does that. However, other projects that people put considerable effort in get buried under piles of less interesting submissions.

I would like to see a star user rating system and a way to view the projects in a list organized by their star rating.

I noticed that currently the same programs remain in the top downloaded section which although entertaining are not even near the best programs I have seen on scratch. I suppose this is due to their high visibility and thus keep racing ahead of other programs in number of views.

Please consider a way that people can rate submissions and provide for example a top 100 list.  Maybe even a Editors pick

Find out what it is like to steer large ships into the Port of Rotterdam in ShipSim http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/dinther/32891

#30 2007-08-31 02:36:27

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

Featured list is "Editors' pick"

I agree that the top-viewed and top-loved lists tend to be self-perpetuating, so a lot of good projects get squeezed out.

#31 2008-03-09 14:59:19

Davidsonofinga
Scratcher

i never get any comments anyway. i need more veiws, loveits, and comments, too  sad   sad   sad   sad

i have mild autism. please be patient with me.
"to all the Maho fans: until we see MSA published or put on DA, Stay Gold! ...bang" ~Lynuxe

#32 2008-05-18 10:53:52

Hobbs1100
Scratcher

If you're gonna take a feature out, take away the surprise project box.  This is a bad idea to take away the newest projects section.

#33 2008-05-19 13:15:32

irfoote
Scratcher

I'm using this this to teach my 7 year old daughter how to program.  Since signing up, I've seen projects with nudity, profanity and gore come up frequently.

None of this is of any use at all if she and her friends can't be safe browsing through the projects.  Keeping them clean should be the very highest priority.

#34 2008-05-19 15:48:02

Cyclone103
Scratcher

While I like the new projects section, perhaps a good idea would be for every time someone wants to post a project, a trustworthy rep, or "Scratch Assistant" has to look at that project and decide if it is an ok thing to have up. The assistants could be regular scratchers, just like the forum moderators are not actually working for MIT even though they are helping out. Perhaps someone from the scratch team could select an active user at random, and go through their projects and comments to look for any foul or profane content. There would have to be like 100 or 200 people working on this, since at any one time, many new projects are going up, even at night. The message to check it out would be in the message box, just like a normal message. If a person was found to be putting up something that should not be up on a site like this, the assistant would simply not allow it, which would act like it being blocked. If the user tried to put up a certain number, just like blocked projects, that user would be banned. I think that if like 100 people were selected, that would cover most hours of the day and night, and so even though after a project is released, it might take a few minutes longer. All projects would be divided up by any currently online people, and if they take too long, the project would automatically divert itself to another online assistant. Perhaps this is a method that could be used? It seems as though the basics are already in place.

All your base are belong to us

#35 2008-05-19 17:22:20

Hobbs1100
Scratcher

That would take forever to check some projects.

#36 2008-05-19 18:58:50

Cyclone103
Scratcher

Hobbs1100 wrote:

That would take forever to check some projects.

well, it would not be just one person. I can easily sit here for like 15 minutes, and try out all the new stuff. That means that maybe every 5 minutes, if there were like 3 assistants on, each might have to check one a minute and give it an ok.

All your base are belong to us

#37 2008-05-20 17:20:44

mletreat
Scratcher

irfoote wrote:

I'm using this this to teach my 7 year old daughter how to program.  Since signing up, I've seen projects with nudity, profanity and gore come up frequently.

None of this is of any use at all if she and her friends can't be safe browsing through the projects.  Keeping them clean should be the very highest priority.

I am sorry to hear about these frustrations and hope you will continue to spend time with your children on Scratch. 

We do our best to remove any inappropriate content in a timely manner.  To help us, you can alert us to any inappropriate projects by flagging them.  If you feel you need to report a specific user or incident, please click on "Contact Us".

In the meantime, we are working on some new features that take these issues into consideration.  Thanks for your concern, we appreciate feedback from our community and are always working to make the site safe and fun for users of all ages...especially children!

#38 2008-05-20 20:22:14

Hobbs1100
Scratcher

Well, this is one of the worst ideas in the history of bad ideas, and we've had a lot of those.

#39 2008-05-27 20:06:26

mrguy740
Scratcher

andresmh wrote:

Analyzing the statistics of the site after the newest project section was removed and considering the pros and cons people in the forums and members of the Scratch team, we have decided to bring back the newest projects to the front page. Thanks everyone or your input. In a few weeks, we will start working on better mechanisms to filter inappropriate content. In the meanwhile please help us monitor the site by flagging inappropriate content.

When you flag something as inappropriate the creator of the project does not know who has flagged their project, only the Scratch team reads your comments.

Phew scared me there for a second.

The imagination exercises a powerful influence over every act of sense, thought, reason, over every idea. Latin Proverb

#40 2008-06-19 11:35:55

registeel
Scratcher

Yay it's back

Board footer