This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2010-07-08 18:43:41

codyronaldcamp
Scratcher

The Ultimate Guide to Scratch

Frequently Asked Questions(F.A.Q.)

greenflash wrote:

Q: Why are some topics highlighted blue?
A: Topics highlighted blue are topics that have been posted on since your last visit.

Q: What is a sticky?
A: Stickies are usually informational notes or helpful posts that have been selected by the scratch team.

Q: How do I post a new topic?
A: Click on Post New Topic on the upper right of the page

Q: How do I make a signature?
A: Only members who have been on scratch for more than 15 days can have a signature. To make one, click on profile (at the top) then personality (on the left)

Q: What is spamming?
A: Spamming is posting a message in a topic that is completely unrelated to all the other posts. It is very annoying and highly discouraged.

Q: How do I make text effects and links?
A: Text effects are really easy. To learn how to do them, go to: http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/help.php#bbcode

Uploading and Downloading projects to the Scratch website

-db- wrote:

Once you make your project, and you are ready to upload it to the scratch website, click on the "Share" button on the top of the screen when you are in Scratch.
http://i25.tinypic.com/rripft.jpg

You can also use the http://i31.tinypic.com/ayvo15.jpg icon. Either one will work the same. After you click on it, there will be a pop-up window that looks like this:
http://i28.tinypic.com/532p2w.jpg

You can fill in your profile information, and make a name for your project. You can also add project notes and create tags for your project. Don't worry if you don't like it later, you can always rename your project or edit the project notes, by clicking on the name or notes online. You can delete tags by clicking the X next to the tag you don't want. Once you are done with that, click OK, and your project will be uploaded to the Scratch website. Once you see this icon
http://i28.tinypic.com/1zfmvl1.jpg
that means your project was successfully uploaded, and everyone can now see it on the Scratch website.

Downloading projects on the Scratch website

If you don't have Java player, or you want to download for better play ability or to see the scripts, This will tell you how. First, go to the project that you want to download. On the right of the screen, You will see a box that says "Download this Project!"
http://i26.tinypic.com/2zzp5pz.jpg

To download the project, click on the project name in that box. It should be blue and underlined
http://i31.tinypic.com/24c9n54.jpg

After you click on that, A pop-up window will come up asking if you want to Open, Save, or Cancel. Click the Open button.
http://i32.tinypic.com/24e9y6b.jpg

After you click the open button, there may be another pop-up window asking if you want to "Allow" or "Run" depending on what type of Windows you have. Click on "Run" or "Allow" and it will download the file and open it in Scratch. Then you can play it and view the scripts!

This guide is for Windows OS. I'm not sure how the Mac works. If anyone wants to tell me how to upload and download projects on a Mac, I will be glad to update this with Mac information also.

Making Friends

joeyman wrote:

Making Friends:
To get more noticed on Scratch, having friends is a great way to get started! Friends can comment your projects, share their thoughts, and even spread the word about your projects! Comment some projects, (don't spam) talk to people, meet another user! If you find someone you would like to add to your friends list, here's how to do it:

1.) Go to that user's home page. This is the page that contains all of their projects, friends, galleries, and favorite projects. To go there, simply click on the user's username.
   2.) Go over to where their location, username, and icon are. Under them, you will see a button saying "Add to my friends list" click it. The user will be notified shortly after.

What New Scratch Members cannot do

06dknibbs wrote:

Anyway, so far New people cannot:

1) Edit their own posts - Members can edit posts they have made if they wish, for example. If a user makes a mistake, they can change it by pressing the edit button at the bottom of the post. New people currently do not have this feature.

2) Reply to topics in Show and Tell.

3) Post or create threads in the Advanced Topics, Collaboration and Miscellaneous sections of the forums.

4) Post every minute - Members can post another post every 60 seconds, for a New person this time is extended to 600 seconds (or 10 minutes) to stop spammers from going crazy...

5) This one has existed a lot longer, and isn't completely limited to New people. But unless you've been signed up to the forums for 15 days, you also can't make a signature to go with your posts.

6) Use [img] and [url]tags: New people cannot post images or links due to both of them being abused in the past. New people can however still type a link ex: www.scratch.mit.edu although it won't lead anywhere.

How to be friendly and healthy on your Scratch account

Llennoccm7 wrote:

If you help, and get your tip on the list, I will put you on the "Special thanks" list.

Tip #1

Make a good impression on other Scratch Members!

A lot of projects are inspired by other Scratch Members Feedback, and you can get this feedback by making lots of friends on Scratch. You can even Look at other Members projects and get inspired. This way, you can add many different types of Projects on your account. Giving the Impression on other people that you have a open mind.

Tip #2

Don't be so focus on your projects comments, or love-its. Try Looking at other Projects from other members!

As you may know, the greatest feeling on Scratch is to get a nice or positive comment on a project. So try to give that feeling to other Scratch Members. Especially if they are new. It will make their day! And it will also make yours! Even if you think their project are horrible, or if the project makes no sense, just make them feel good!

Tip #3

Visit the forums! Post in the Forums! Advertise!

If you want the word of your account to spread, visit and post in the forums regularly. Also, try to get into topics that you think will improve scratch. You can even go the Inspiration and More Section of the forums and get inspired for a project. Or inspire other people for games. You can even advertise in the Show and Tell Section!

Also, to spread the word of websites, projects, or just to make a funny joke, make a signature! When you make a Signature it will appear in every forum post that you have.

Tip #4

ABSOLUTELY NO SPAM!

If you spam frequently, you WILL be tagged as a spammer, and will be ignored in the scratch community. If you don't have feedback on the project, or don't have something nice to say, than don't say it at all.

Some of you may be thinking:
"What is Spam?"
"Why is spam bad?"
"Where is that Smell Coming from?"

All Good Questions!
Spam is when you comment on someones project, and say something that has nothing to do with what the project is about. Or it could be just an insult to the user. For example: You've just posted a project about Recycling and being green, and you get comments like these.

"I like pie"
"Waffles are awesome"
"Hey! Check out my projects! They're Cool."
"My projects are better that yours!"
"This is stupid."
"....My dog ran away....."

I think you get the picture.

P.S: Don't give yourself love-its unless you love your project.

Tip #5

If someone needs help, help them.

If you help someone, people will see you as a wise person. Then People will look up to you! And plus, you get the satisfaction of helping a new person!  smile

Tip #6

Be Honest

If you are honest to everyone, you will be seen as a reliable person. Don't take this the wrong way and go give a really mean comment on someones project and say "I'm just being honest." You WILL be ignored my the scratch community.

Just always remember. Honesty is always the Policy!

Tip #7

You can always make a test account.

If you want to explore with projects, but don't think the community would like it, just make a test account. For instance. My Username is Llennoccm7
My test account would be "Test-Llennoccm7"

Tip #8

Be Patient!

This can not be stressed enough. Like 48bob said "Be patient. You cant get 100 views in three hours. Over time, people will start to see your projects."

Tip #9

If you think something is not good, Flag it.

If you think something is not good, dirty, mean, or anything bad, don't be afraid to flag it. Not quality bad, but bad stuff.

"Just below the project, there's a line of links - in that line there's stuff like loving the project, adding it to you gallery, etc... Also in that line is a link to flag it as inappropriate. Click that link and a box should show up asking you to explain why (I think...) and then click OK to flag it"'
-coolstuff

Special Thanks
coolstuff- Cool quote!
Chrischb- For, replying.
Everybody- For even making guides!

Tips for making your account - Dedicated to Scratchers and Scratchers-to-be.

qwertypower wrote:

Welcome scratchers and scratchers-to-be. Please read this guide before you make an account.

1. Your username. This is very important. As you can't change this in the future.
Before you enter a username, look around on the forums to see other scratchers
names. Try to get inspired by other peoples usernames. But don't try to copy other usernames. It just annoys the original user and displays a lack of creativity.

2. Your password. Make this unique. But don't make it long or random. Like: ghti12423fjsdudufheer. That password is too long and confusing. If the password makes sense, then it can be long. Like: qwertyuiop123. It's not a random jumble of numbers and letters and therefore is much easier to remember and is harder to guess.
Try to add capitals to your password. Like: QwertyUiop123. It makes it even harder to guess. And finally, substitute numbers for letters. Like: Qw3rtyU10p123. That is a good password. (now don't use it though).

3. Now go and make your account!

4. Profile picture. So you've made your account. Now you want a profile picture instead of a blank cat. Look on the internet for different things. Make sure the image is small. Because if it's too big, it will look too much similar to pixel. Also make sure the file size is small.
Anything too big in file size can't be put on. Animated gifs have always been a favorite. Often optical illusion gifs have been popular. Like this one. http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/4382/477611med.gif. You can make your own gifs
on software like Microsoft Gif Animator. A good profile picture will draw more people to your stuff.

5. Make good projects. Self-explanatory. Make good projects. Try not to make too many random projects. Focus your energy on making projects that will get lots of views and you will be proud of. Your projects don't have to be advanced or big to be good. There are plenty of guides out on the forums and in projects.

6. Forums. To join the forums all you have to do is choose a topic and post on it! There you go! Your first post. Make sure all your posts are polite and build others up.
Like Paddle2See said: Treat others as you would like to be treated. If you want to explain something negative to someone make sure you do it politely and with an encouraging tone. Try to use good grammar as much as possible. Try not to use ur instead of you're and wut instead of what. Occasionally that is okay, but to some people it looks like you're too lazy to type properly. Using your when you're is appropriate is okay. I do that all the time. If you add 1 space too many or use to when too is appropriate it's not a big deal (you've probably noticed that in this guide) Bottom line, use good grammar as much as you can.

7. Signatures. Every person has to wait 15 days before he or she can make a signature. But when you can, choose a good layout. Try to make the images and text arranged in a neat fashion. Banners have been used. Animated gifs have been used.
Some signatures are only text. My signature has the logos of the things I'm active in. Scratch Wiki and Forum Fighters. If you choose to be in one of those groups or any other groups you will most likely be asked to put an image in your signature.
Your signature should describe you. I like to get involved with as many groups as possible. And my signature shows it. If you are an artistic person you might have a banner you made yourself. Or an animated gif you made yourself. If you are a programmer you might have a link to a program or game you made.

I hope this guide helps you. I spent a long time on it. Please don't criticize me of bad spelling when I say you shouldn't have bad spelling. If I do it wasn't on purpose.

Topics that help you

cheddargirl wrote:

New to the Scratch forums and don't know your way around? Ever wanted to know how to make an awesome forum post? Here's a list of threads that can help you out.  smile

- What is forums?

- BBCode help:
     - Forum Code / BBCode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All the tips and tricks!!!!!!!
     - All you need to know about BBCode
     - Official BBCode Guide
     - Images and Links
     - Blocks on Forum Topics

- Posting Etiquette:
     - Tips to making a good and informative forum post
     - How to have a respectful conversation on any topic.
     - How to handle the forums

Project Ideas

(forgot name) wrote:

Shades of Gray - After the End  (Either name could be used)
This game is set in the near future, when the first nuclear war has been started.  A small city in America is violently bomed.  Alexander Louis, a researcher in a physics lab in the city, survives and tries to get out of the laboratory, now having to wander through rooms twisted and broken by the boming, see the ghosts of his fellow co-workers and find out why such an unimportant city was bombed.

Finale Deathmatch
A while ago I made a game called Finale Ultra 4, part of a series of smash-bros. games I made.  I wanna make another one of those, only this time with more characters, have each character have different styles of play, a better opponent AI, and a better overall graphics boost.

Monster Rumble
Basically I want this to be a Godzilla-like all out bash of monsters, each with their own traits and abilities, and all can go into Overdrive mode, where attacks are stronger and you can perform a special attack unique to each monster.

Level Elements
A game with a set of levels, each one has four options; Fire, Water, Wind and Earth.  The level design is generally the same for each element but the theme is not, with each element adding something different.  Fire adds lava pits and aggressive enemies, water adds swimming, drowning, geysers, and waterfalls, wind adds propellors that push you in all directions, Earth adds vines, bug enemies, falling platforms, moving platforms, etc.  All elements do not have to be played to win, but easter eggs, powerups, and extra levels are accessed through winning all elements.

Innocent Bystander
You know the guy who's walking around when danger strikes, and does his best to escape the action?  That guy is you, and you must do your best to get back to your house while running through absolute chaos.  Early levels start with mild scenarios, like a bank robbing, but soon the scenes get increasingly crazy, up to things like UFO sightings and Godzilla attack!

Monty Python's Flying Circus: The Game
I am an absolute addict for Monty Python  big_smile  , and I realized there are barely any Monty Python projects.  Of course, it may be insanely difficult due to the nature of the show.  But I'm ready to try!
This may include sketches as levels, such as Level 1 be the Silly Walk sketch, Level 2, Flying Lessons, and so on.

Last edited by codyronaldcamp (2010-07-12 17:56:46)

http://i45.tinypic.com/332q9kz.png

#2 2010-07-08 19:14:59

coolstuff
Community Moderator

Re: The Ultimate Guide to Scratch

Nice - It's like a little collection of guides! You might want to consider linking to the topics from which the posts came so that users can read further if they want.

#3 2010-07-08 19:49:07

codyronaldcamp
Scratcher

Nah, this is aimed at new people on Scratch that just want to learn things.
Anyway, thanks goes to everybody for making all these guides!

#4 2010-07-09 01:18:47

Chrischb
Scratcher

Other users may want to read it too, though.  smile
And it wouldn't hurt, would it?

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#5 2010-07-09 09:21:04

codyronaldcamp
Scratcher

I can't now, because I forgot the topics they came from.
sad

Board footer