This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2007-04-18 12:09:28

wysall
Scratcher

Presenting Projects

I would like to know if there is a way to put an entire classes projects (about 30) on a computer for parents to come and see what their child has done.  I would like for the parents to only have to click on the name.  When they click on the name I would like it to open the project in presentation mode.  Then there should be a way to click somewhere to return to a menu page of all students work.

Making a gallery on the web could work but it is slow and does not have the full screen option.  We like to show off our students work in an exhibit hall where presentation matters.  What can you suggest for me to make viewing the projects clean and simple for even the most inept of parents?

Kent Sall

#2 2007-04-19 21:15:06

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

Re: Presenting Projects

I think John Maloney already answered to you directly, but I am posting his answer here just in case.

In general, there is no perfect easy solution, but here John offers some easy workarounds.

----
I see your need but, unfortunately, Scratch doesn't yet have this sort of "kiosk mode".

Scratch 1.1 (due out by early May) will support (on Windows) the ability to launch a given Scratch project using the "download project" button on the Scratch website; that could be one hook that would allow you to create the experience you are looking for in HTML. That version of Scratch will also allow a Scratch project to be opened from a Windows command line (or batch script). But in both cases, Scratch does not start up in presentation mode.

Here's a different idea: Use the embedded Java player to play the projects, but set your computer's monitor resolution to something like 640x480. That would have the effect of making the project nearly fill the screen. That solution is very easy to implement; you just need to upload the projects to the Scratch website (or embed them in your own web page) and set the monitor resolution of the computers.

Let me know what you come up with. I will think about ways to build some sort of "kiosk" mode into Scratch.

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

Board footer