This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2007-06-08 23:17:07

bradquinn
Scratcher

File Format

I think that it would be really cool if scratch projects were saved in some easy to understand format, like XML.

#2 2007-06-10 17:56:26

relyt12101
Scratcher

Re: File Format

Yeah.

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/2860/pspbanneregg089deiy0.png

#3 2007-06-11 16:26:40

owowo
Scratcher

How about a stand-alone executable file  (.....EXE)?  That would be really great for those not into or having the savvy to download and use scratch.

#4 2007-06-11 19:32:36

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

Except that EXE files only run on Microsoft Windows computers, and not always on them.

#5 2007-06-12 09:44:02

Roberth
Scratcher

While getting off topic, I would love to see a complied version of Scratch.  Compiled versions do not necessarily have to be just for MS-Windows either, although a native PE-executable would be interesting.  If I get access to Scratch source code, I might even write such a compiler.  That said, to get back on topic....

It would be nice to have documented what the format of the "sb" file format actually is.  I'm assuming that it is a Squeak file format (I've seen some speculation about that point), but it isn't necessarily something you can open in a text browser and change... particularly with embedded sound and image content.  While XML can "embed" digital content such as images and sound, it isn't necessarily the best possible format for accomplishing this sort of task, especially if you want to keep file size down to something fairly reasonable.

While this is getting to be something very implementation specific, if there ever are other implementations of Scratch, a common method of sharing data between various implementations of Scratch is critical, and this is very much something that should be (eventually) documented.  This is something I would hate to reverse engineer, although it doesn't look that complicated.

#6 2007-07-21 11:12:49

bradquinn
Scratcher

I'm mostly thinking about the code.  There could be XML elements for importing external resources.

Roberth wrote:

While getting off topic, I would love to see a complied version of Scratch.  Compiled versions do not necessarily have to be just for MS-Windows either, although a native PE-executable would be interesting.  If I get access to Scratch source code, I might even write such a compiler.  That said, to get back on topic....

It would be nice to have documented what the format of the "sb" file format actually is.  I'm assuming that it is a Squeak file format (I've seen some speculation about that point), but it isn't necessarily something you can open in a text browser and change... particularly with embedded sound and image content.  While XML can "embed" digital content such as images and sound, it isn't necessarily the best possible format for accomplishing this sort of task, especially if you want to keep file size down to something fairly reasonable.

While this is getting to be something very implementation specific, if there ever are other implementations of Scratch, a common method of sharing data between various implementations of Scratch is critical, and this is very much something that should be (eventually) documented.  This is something I would hate to reverse engineer, although it doesn't look that complicated.

Board footer