This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#201 2010-06-09 21:21:56

bharvey
Scratcher

Re: The Scratch Wiki

Lucario621 wrote:

...well, it shouldn't that harsh, should it? It's Scratch, I mean really... And neither should it be a surprise, like saying "You're in! Congratz!" and then "You're banned! Bye!"

But it is harsh, in fact, no matter what euphemisms you use.  And it should be harsh, in the sense that you're (I'm guessing) not going to reject someone because once s/he did something stupid; it's going to be people with a long history.

All else being equal, the official policy should match the actual policy.  So if the actual policy is "we admit anyone without a ban history" then that's what the posted policy should say, instead of saying "answer these questions" and implying that a board of examiners decides if the answers are good enough. The posted policy is a deterrent to people who, like soupoftomato (whom I once called "soup" but now you've got me scared to do that  smile  ) above, don't think they have good answers but who aren't quite as fearless as SoT (who'll be a great contributor btw) is.  And if you said "we admit anyone without a ban history and it takes us N days to check on that" then you wouldn't be obliged to say anything specific to each applicant prior to checking that out.  (In fact, in the Real World there would be a form you fill out to apply, and on the form it would say "by submitting this form you are agreeing to let the wiki administrators see your ban record"!)

P.S. Use the force, Lucario!  tongue

http://cs.berkeley.edu/~bh/sig5.png

#202 2010-06-09 22:03:55

Lucario621
Community Moderator

bharvey wrote:

Lucario621 wrote:

...well, it shouldn't that harsh, should it? It's Scratch, I mean really... And neither should it be a surprise, like saying "You're in! Congratz!" and then "You're banned! Bye!"

But it is harsh, in fact, no matter what euphemisms you use.  And it should be harsh, in the sense that you're (I'm guessing) not going to reject someone because once s/he did something stupid; it's going to be people with a long history.

All else being equal, the official policy should match the actual policy.  So if the actual policy is "we admit anyone without a ban history" then that's what the posted policy should say, instead of saying "answer these questions" and implying that a board of examiners decides if the answers are good enough. The posted policy is a deterrent to people who, like soupoftomato

bharvey wrote:

(whom I once called "soup" but now you've got me scared to do that  smile  )

Lol.

bharvey wrote:

above, don't think they have good answers but who aren't quite as fearless as SoT (who'll be a great contributor btw) is.  And if you said "we admit anyone without a ban history and it takes us N days to check on that" then you wouldn't be obliged to say anything specific to each applicant prior to checking that out.  (In fact, in the Real World there would be a form you fill out to apply, and on the form it would say "by submitting this form you are agreeing to let the wiki administrators see your ban record"!)

Yeah, but we're still not saying that it officially matters if there's a ban history or not. Like um, [insert username of person who recently request an account - not soup] might not have a ban history, but [he/she] may have a record in the community for being roudy and such. So, it all depends.

bharvey wrote:

P.S. Use the force, Lucario!  tongue

Nooooooooooooo!!!

http://i.imgur.com/WBkM2QQ.png

#203 2010-06-09 22:09:41

fg123
Scratcher

BTW, thanks for letting me in!  big_smile

Hai.

#204 2010-06-09 22:11:42

Greenboi
Scratcher

Can I join?  hmm
It won't let me sign up.  sad

#205 2010-06-09 22:13:21

Lucario621
Community Moderator

Greenboi wrote:

Can I join?  hmm
It won't let me sign up.  sad

Yeah - if you read all of the others posts in this thread, you would have known, that you cannot create an account - you have to request.

So yes, we accept! We'll add you to the list of contributors to create accounts for - it will take a while, as andres has to send notifications and such  wink

#206 2010-06-09 22:43:41

fg123
Scratcher

Yup. As lucario said, you have to request for an account.  wink

Hai.

#207 2010-06-09 22:51:45

soupoftomato
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

* Why do you want to join the Scratch Wiki?
    * How would you help the Scratch Wiki by becoming a contributor?

1. I would like to contribute to the knowledge of Scratch and make things easier for new users.
2. I would fix any mistakes (though I hope there's not many) and add stuff that no one else has yet.

Yeah, I want to join, but I stink at speeches.

Anything?

You excepted Greenboi without these answers, and now your just arguing over my post.  hmm

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#208 2010-06-10 01:29:29

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Here's the list of people who want to join...

Greenboi
littletonkslover
soupoftomato
Subh
waveOSBeta

Did I miss anyone?

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#209 2010-06-10 02:00:20

Chrischb
Scratcher

Someone called EvilGenius asked me in a comment how to join - I directed him/her here, so he/she should be posting soon...

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#210 2010-06-10 08:59:50

soupoftomato
Scratcher

bharvey wrote:

(whom I once called "soup" but now you've got me scared to do that  smile  )

soup
SoT
SofT
soupoftomato
that tomato soup guy

I don't mind any, though the last is not preferable.  tongue

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#211 2010-06-10 17:07:21

EvilGenius
Scratcher

I would like to join the Wiki. It seems off to a good start.

#212 2010-06-10 19:29:43

wildplayer
Scratcher

i got a link to this thread while asking why i can't edit the wiki; long story short i want to contribute.

I didn't see any way your supposed to write the request. So I'm just going to ask can i contribute?

#213 2010-06-11 01:16:03

bharvey
Scratcher

You know, totally aside from writing and editing articles, which is what all the discussion here has been about, membership in the wiki has many other advantages even for lurkers: watchlists, user pages, talk pages...  So this raises two somewhat contradictory thoughts for me: (1) Shouldn't all Scratchers have these tools?  and (2) The Scratch Team elected not to have private messages on the main Scratch site.  Now we have talk pages, which are public in the sense that anyone canread them, but, let's say, semiprivate, in that people have to go out of their way to read other people's talk pages.  Is this okay?

http://cs.berkeley.edu/~bh/sig5.png

#214 2010-06-11 01:50:28

Chrischb
Scratcher

New list...

Greenboi
littletonkslover
soupoftomato
Subh
waveOSBeta
EvilGenius
wildplayer

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#215 2010-06-11 05:43:31

Subh
Scratcher

Jonathanpb wrote:

Greenboi
littletonkslover
soupoftomato
Subh
waveOSBeta

Did I miss anyone?

Ummm...........Iwas already in the list for those CHOSEN...Right?
Then why is my name in those who WANT to join?

Jonathanpb wrote:

Here's the list for more accounts:

jacool
illusionist
Subh
Vista4563
Wolfie1996 (?)

You people are CONFUSING me....  hmm

Please authorize ONLY 1 PERSON to create accounts. If more people are authorized, plz tell them to post first in this thread

http://wiki.scratch.mit.edu/skins/scratch/logo.png     I'M IN Scratch Wiki .... ARE YOU ????

#216 2010-06-11 06:55:03

EmperorEvil
Scratcher

Hi Guys,
I was on the old scratch wiki and I had an account. May I please have an account on the new wiki?

http://oi54.tinypic.com/t8ogle.jpg http://blocks.scratchr.org/API.php?user=veggieman001&action=onlineStatus

#217 2010-06-11 08:53:46

LS97
Scratcher

Request for joining the Scratch wiki

I would like to join the Scratch Wiki to help new Scratchers get familiar with the program and website, but also for more experienced Scratchers so they can explore advanced features of the application.
I have been on Scratch for about a year now, have mastered the skills of advanced Scratching, although I still remember how it is to be new and not knowing about obvious (to us) features like the 'unlock online' button.
For whoever would also like to explore the world of the Scratch Source Code, I could possibly help on that too.

I would be very thankful if you answered my request and invited me to be part of the Scratch Wiki, which took so much time and effort, and looks so great.
Thanks!

#218 2010-06-11 13:25:25

BulboGrubb
Scratcher

Please may I join?  hmm 

Thanks!  smile

#219 2010-06-12 01:27:32

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Subh wrote:

I put both into the same list.

Subh wrote:

Please authorize ONLY 1 PERSON to create accounts. If more people are authorized, plz tell them to post first in this thread

Why only 1?  hmm
Here's the list:

adriangl
BulboGrubb
EmperorEvil
EvilGenius
Greenboi
jacool
iCode-747
littletonkslover
LS97
soupoftomato
Subh
waveOSBeta
wildplayer

Last edited by Jonathanpb (2010-06-12 01:37:35)

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#220 2010-06-12 01:28:50

adriangl
Scratcher

Jonathanpb wrote:

Subh wrote:

Subh wrote:

Why only 1?  hmm
Here's the list:

BulboGrubb
EmperorEvil
EvilGenius
Greenboi
jacool
iCode-747
littletonkslover
LS97
soupoftomato
Subh
waveOSBeta
wildplayer

Lucario621 said I was added to the list of people who were contributors  hmm

Scratchin' since 2007

#221 2010-06-12 01:37:25

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Oh, I must have missed your post... ^_^

I'll update the list...  wink

-Charlotte Brontë

#222 2010-06-12 04:36:26

Subh
Scratcher

Jonathanpb wrote:

Subh wrote:

Subh wrote:

Why only 1?  hmm

Because you cant take a decision. First illusionist was added to the "Will be" list (alongside me) by Lucario. Then andresmh added him without consulting.so he became a contributor before me(even though I asked first).

Now everybody in the old list (jacool, illusionist, Vista4563,Wolfie1996 ) except me is not there in the new list, , meaning that they must have got there accounts. I dont think that this Confusion should be there.  sad

Because of this confusion, I am getting my account later than those who requested for it after me.
sad

Can anyone plz clarify..........

Lucario621 wrote:

Subh wrote:

Please Please................. Dont Do This To Me............please Please Make An Exception

YOU'RE GOING TO WAIT AND YOU'RE GOING TO LIKE IT! ...  tongue

I have been waiting and have been confused and am not liking it.  sad

http://wiki.scratch.mit.edu/skins/scratch/logo.png     I'M IN Scratch Wiki .... ARE YOU ????

#223 2010-06-12 09:56:05

Lucario621
Community Moderator

soupoftomato wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

* Why do you want to join the Scratch Wiki?
    * How would you help the Scratch Wiki by becoming a contributor?

1. I would like to contribute to the knowledge of Scratch and make things easier for new users.
2. I would fix any mistakes (though I hope there's not many) and add stuff that no one else has yet.

Yeah, I want to join, but I stink at speeches.

Anything?

You excepted Greenboi without these answers, and now your just arguing over my post.  hmm

No, we've accepted you. We'll create your account soon...

#224 2010-06-12 09:57:58

Lucario621
Community Moderator

bharvey wrote:

You know, totally aside from writing and editing articles, which is what all the discussion here has been about, membership in the wiki has many other advantages even for lurkers: watchlists, user pages, talk pages...  So this raises two somewhat contradictory thoughts for me: (1) Shouldn't all Scratchers have these tools?  and (2) The Scratch Team elected not to have private messages on the main Scratch site.  Now we have talk pages, which are public in the sense that anyone canread them, but, let's say, semiprivate, in that people have to go out of their way to read other people's talk pages.  Is this okay?

Well yes, but the same thing for comments on projects, which are essentially the same thing  wink

#225 2010-06-12 09:59:56

Lucario621
Community Moderator

Subh wrote:

Jonathanpb wrote:

Greenboi
littletonkslover
soupoftomato
Subh
waveOSBeta

Did I miss anyone?

Jonathanpb wrote:

Here's the list for more accounts:

jacool
illusionist
Subh
Vista4563
Wolfie1996 (?)

You people are CONFUSING me....  hmm

Only I, and andres can create accounts. Just some others are helping create lists of accounts to create for me  tongue

Don't worry... everything's being handled.

Board footer