This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#26 2010-06-04 17:06:05

dav09
Scratcher

Re: The Scratch Wiki

Lucario621 wrote:

dav09 wrote:

cool... but i cant sign up
i know this might be a bad idea but you should make a projects section for your projects, under the section of your user name, i dont know... experimental

About signing up, see the message I just posted  smile

I see your idea - but one thing is, that users without accounts might become jealous that they can't created articles about their own projects. Secondly, it goes against our policy on no articles on projects or users (not counting Scratch Wiki account users).

Yeah might get messy... with spam

could I become a contributer? Thanks  smile

Also I really like this new wiki, well done, appreciate the time and effort

Last edited by dav09 (2010-06-04 17:08:03)

#27 2010-06-04 17:11:52

Lucario621
Community Moderator

dav09 wrote:

Lucario621 wrote:

dav09 wrote:

cool... but i cant sign up
i know this might be a bad idea but you should make a projects section for your projects, under the section of your user name, i dont know... experimental

About signing up, see the message I just posted  smile

I see your idea - but one thing is, that users without accounts might become jealous that they can't created articles about their own projects. Secondly, it goes against our policy on no articles on projects or users (not counting Scratch Wiki account users).

Yeah might get messy... with spam

could I become a contributer? Thanks  smile

Also I really like this new wiki, well done, appreciate the time and effort

It's great that you want to be a contributor! But to help us with our decision, it would help if you could answer the following two questions:

-Why do you want to join the Scratch Wiki?
-How would you help the Scratch Wiki by becoming a contributor?

Thanks!

http://i.imgur.com/WBkM2QQ.png

#28 2010-06-04 17:17:31

dav09
Scratcher

Ok...
I have been a member of the scratch community for a long period of time and have made some edits in the unofficial wiki and I would like to help the community out. I completely understand the purpose of these questions( For spam reasons). I hope that we can get many editors and have many Scratch Related Articles On this new Website/ Wiki. I hope to help out all of the members and help the newer ones get a better understanding of this place and program and help out missing pieces left out of wikis, you have wrote nearly too much for one person and most of us appreciate it. Keep up the good work  smile
I have used scratch for over 1 year now and enjoy using it.

Thanks for listening  smile !

Last edited by dav09 (2010-06-04 17:19:23)

#29 2010-06-04 17:21:58

Lucario621
Community Moderator

dav09 wrote:

Ok...
I have been a member of the scratch community for a long period of time and have made some edits in the unofficial wiki and I would like to help the community out. I completely understand the purpose of these questions( For spam reasons). I hope that we can get many editors and have many Scratch Related Articles On this new Website/ Wiki. I hope to help out all of the members and help the newer ones get a better understanding of this place and program and help out missing pieces left out of wikis, you have wrote nearly too much for one person and most of us appreciate it. Keep up the good work  smile

Thanks for listening  smile !

Thanks!

We'll definitely be considering you for becoming a contributor!  smile  We're not going to immediately do it all, rather, we will be sending the invites in 'waves', to multiple people all at once,

#30 2010-06-04 17:23:37

dav09
Scratcher

Ok thank you, i have seen the paint editor trick (shif click) was found by me  smile  in the wiki... wasn't expecting a trick that I found to be in the wiki

edit: some were... not all! rotate was found by me

Last edited by dav09 (2010-06-04 17:25:09)

#31 2010-06-04 17:33:59

Lucario621
Community Moderator

dav09 wrote:

Ok thank you, i have seen the paint editor trick (shif click) was found by me  smile  in the wiki... wasn't expecting a trick that I found to be in the wiki

edit: some were... not all! rotate was found by me

Ok - I've changed some things accordingly. It can be controversial on who actually found it, because some people may have found it first, but other people have have found it without knowing the other person found it, and etc. etc., so I removed that tiny part altogether.

Also, what rotate section are you talking about?

#32 2010-06-04 17:36:02

dav09
Scratcher

I dont want to gain credit for it, under the paint editor wiki, in the secrets. you also know alot about scratch. First post about this secret was here i think http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=33489 , it could be added to the shift-click r wiki.

also do u mind the signature?

Last edited by dav09 (2010-06-04 17:38:13)

#33 2010-06-04 19:12:35

Lucario621
Community Moderator

dav09 wrote:

I dont want to gain credit for it, under the paint editor wiki, in the secrets. you also know alot about scratch. First post about this secret was here i think http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=33489 , it could be added to the shift-click r wiki.

It's ok for you to use the wiki logo in your signature, of course  smile  .

Using the special paint things by shift-clicking the different tools aren't secrets - they don't have to be really hacked to in order to get. In fact, they're mentioned in a stickied thread here. So I don't think it belongs in the shift-click-r page.

#34 2010-06-04 19:41:12

JSO
Community Moderator

Woah - thank you so much everyone for all the positive reactions...

I worked together with Lucario621 to get the new wiki up. I've done mostly layout changes and some importing;

Thank you wiki contributors - also those that worked on it before this change - for the huge amount of info  big_smile

http://oi48.tinypic.com/2v1q0e9.jpg

#35 2010-06-04 19:41:19

Chrischb
Scratcher

The user list only shows thirteen users at the moment... Dx  tongue

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#36 2010-06-04 19:55:26

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

When will more people join the wiki?  smile

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#37 2010-06-04 21:37:26

Lucario621
Community Moderator

Jonathanpb wrote:

When will more people join the wiki?  smile

After we get a short list of people (maybe 12, or less) who've requested to become contributors, we'll send them all invitations  smile

#38 2010-06-05 01:12:19

WeirdF
Scratcher

Lucario621 wrote:

WeirdF wrote:

Lucario621 wrote:

Yes, most likely  smile .

Well my account's not still there...

And when you click "Log in or sign up for an account," it just takes you to a log in page, so how do you sign up?

Yeah... there's the thing...

Not all users will necessarily have accounts. The accounts aren't connected to those on the Scratch Website. Instead, users can request accounts, if they feel they would be a good help to the wiki. Only bureaucrats like me, JSO, and Andres. But desperately begging will only lower your chances of becoming a contributor - but to request, and give a speech if you want.

See the Become a contributor article - though it's still a work in progress.

But I had an account on the old Wiki, and you've just told Vista4563 that previous members will retain their accounts. I am a previous member... So why don't I have an account?

http://i.cr3ation.co.uk/dl/s1/gif/847032b8a331def77529b6a0384db1fe_handfingers.gif

#39 2010-06-05 02:12:58

Chrischb
Scratcher

I think you have to apply first...  tongue

You can still browse, though.  smile

#40 2010-06-05 02:34:05

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

WeirdF wrote:

I had an account on the old Wiki, and you've just told Vista4563 that previous members will retain their accounts. I am a previous member... So why don't I have an account?

Accounts weren't imported - they're not the same as your wikia accounts. This way, we can give Scratchers accounts with their real usernames, and make sure that the user WeirdF on the Scratch Wiki is the same WeirdF on the Scratch website. Account creation is locked for those same reasons (and to prevent vandalism, mainly).  smile

If you've been on the old wiki, you'll probably get into the new wiki.  wink

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#41 2010-06-05 02:41:46

WeirdF
Scratcher

Well, I'm not that fussed really. I won't come begging to be let on the Wiki, if anyone who has the power to feels like it, they can add me, but it's not that important...

http://i.cr3ation.co.uk/dl/s1/gif/847032b8a331def77529b6a0384db1fe_handfingers.gif

#42 2010-06-05 02:43:20

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

You did pretty good on your edits at the old wiki - I want you to be on the new wiki!  big_smile

EDIT: You posted in the Scratch Forums!  yikes   tongue   smile

Last edited by Jonathanpb (2010-06-05 02:43:53)

-Charlotte Brontë

#43 2010-06-05 02:57:45

bharvey
Scratcher

It's very, very cool to have a repository for information on Scratch that's hyperlinked (rather than linearly threaded like the forums), and the labor-of-love dedication of Lucario et al shines through.

But...

Maybe I'm being naive here, but this "apply to be a contributor" bothers me.  Even though it uses wiki software, it just ain't a wiki if there isn't room for broad community participation.  I don't think this is just my unreconstructed '60s radicalism talking.  It's a practical matter.

Take me, for example.  I am never going to be a Scratch Wiki activist.  I don't have the time or the inclination to write a bazillion articles, let alone police the editing of the (presumably growing) corpus of existing articles.  So I can't honestly "explain how I would help the Scratch Wiki by becoming a contributor."  On the other hand, I think I might have something to contribute to the BYOB article!  You don't want to lose that input by making it hard for me to offer it.

Why is spamming the wiki more of a concern than spamming the forums?  The latter happens, but it doesn't happen all that much, at least not in the fora I read.  smile   Just adopting the Wikipedia "you can't write an article about yourself" policy would probably help.  (That's a better lesson to draw from Wikipedia than the "neutral point of view" one, imho; we're not going to have articles about the politics of the middle east in our wiki!  But the best lesson to learn from Wikipedia is that you get a richly textured and amazingly accurate collection of articles by opening the doors.)

I think it would be entirely reasonable not to allow anonymous editing; that's another way to cut down on spam.  Repeat offenders could be banned; that would still be much less restrictive than the current policy.

My point isn't that everyone has to be treated exactly like everyone else.  Community Moderators are a great idea for the forums, for example -- but you don't have to be a C.M. to post to a forum!  Even Wikipedia has a privileged core of editors.  But anyone can contribute.  (Anonymously!)  And, trust me on this, the level of vandalism on the Scratch Wiki will be less than on Wikipedia; for one thing, less is at stake here.  And for another thing, Scratchers are good people.  smile

P.S. If it's not obvious, my concern isn't that I might apply and get rejected.  (Not after being friended by Lucario.  tongue  )  It's that some kid who nobody knows, but who happens to know all about, say, techniques for getting polyphonal music to work smoothly and would write an absolutely terrific article about that, won't bother applying, or will have lost interest by the time his/her application has been approved.

Last edited by bharvey (2010-06-05 03:10:29)

http://cs.berkeley.edu/~bh/sig5.png

#44 2010-06-05 03:05:24

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Preventing account creation was made for two reasons:
  • So we can be sure that the user bharvey on the Scratch Wiki is the same bharvey on the Scratch Website
  • To prevent vandalism/false information/lousy editing/commercial spam

If account creation was public and you hadn't created an account yet, I could claim the account bharvey and impersonate you. Not very nice... We don't want false information and lousy editing on the special information database, either.

I see your points though...  smile

Last edited by Jonathanpb (2010-06-05 03:05:46)

-Charlotte Brontë

#45 2010-06-05 03:21:50

bharvey
Scratcher

Jonathanpb wrote:

• So we can be sure that the user bharvey on the Scratch Wiki is the same bharvey on the Scratch Website

Ah, but I think it should be an integrated login -- if I log in on the home page I'm logged in on the wiki and vice versa.

• To prevent vandalism/false information/lousy editing/commercial spam

Well, starting with commercial spam, half a million people is nothing to sneeze at, but most of the half million don't have credit cards, so there's a limit to how valuable the Scratch Wiki will be as a target, I think.

As for vandalism, I think the level of immaturity shown by vandals disappears quickly in a strong, cohesive community.  You can have a rule that people can't edit during their first N weeks as Scratchers.  But part of the point of wiki software is that vandalism is easily reversible.

False information and bad editing... you're going to get some of that regardless.  (As a former copy editor of my high school and college newspapers, I can tell you that nobody's writing meets my standards, not even my own!)  But letting everyone make edits is how you fix that problem -- unless you want to do it all yourself.  smile

http://cs.berkeley.edu/~bh/sig5.png

#46 2010-06-05 03:23:51

Chrischb
Scratcher

I'll talk to Lucario about it...  tongue

#47 2010-06-05 03:27:52

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Hmmm... you've defeated the second reason.  smile  I don't think that there will be an integrated login though - I think they would have done it if they could. But I'm not sure - I'll ask Lucario.  wink

-Charlotte Brontë

#48 2010-06-05 03:46:02

WeirdF
Scratcher

Jonathanpb wrote:

You did pretty good on your edits at the old wiki - I want you to be on the new wiki!  big_smile

Well, how do I do apply then? Do I just ask here?

Jonathanpb wrote:

EDIT: You posted in the Scratch Forums!  yikes   tongue   smile

Yup! Haven't done it for a long time... But I don't plan to become a regular... TBG is so much better...

Last edited by WeirdF (2010-06-05 03:46:24)

#49 2010-06-05 04:05:07

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

WeirdF wrote:

Jonathanpb wrote:

Well, how do I do apply then? Do I just ask here?

Lucario linked to the Become a contributor article earlier in this topic - the article says to ask here.  smile  So... just post and say you want to join!  big_smile

-Charlotte Brontë

#50 2010-06-05 04:34:47

dav09
Scratcher

Lucario621 wrote:

dav09 wrote:

It's ok for you to use the wiki logo in your signature, of course  smile  .

Using the special paint things by shift-clicking the different tools aren't secrets - they don't have to be really hacked to in order to get. In fact, they're mentioned in a stickied thread here. So I don't think it belongs in the shift-click-r page.

sorry didnt realize that!

Board footer