This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.
  • Index
  •  » Suggestions
  •  » Teaching introductory programming in preparatory courses at University

#1 2010-05-26 22:29:52

Jillee
Scratcher

Teaching introductory programming in preparatory courses at University

Hi,
I am in the process of developing a course which is designed to introduce programming principles to adult students who have never done programming and wish to subsequently enroll in Computer Science courses at undergraduate level.  I have just downloaded the free SCRATCH software and IDE. Its just fantastic, I am delighted at how it introduces all the main architecture, controls methods etc in a way that would be very useful to scaffold my students into Computer Science. My only problem is that the skinning in places makes it very clear that this is for young children, and I worry that this would discourage some of my more macho male 20 something students.

Would it be possible to have a skin or style available so that it looks as if its designed for learners of any age please?

your product is AMAZING and relevant and timely well done you!!!!

#2 2010-05-27 01:52:15

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Re: Teaching introductory programming in preparatory courses at University

You can change some colors on the interface (by 'editing'), but other than that, no. If you want, you can suggest skins in the Suggestions forumsmile

To change some colors:
  • Shift-click on the upper-part of the R in the Scratch logo (look in the upper-left corner)
  • Select "turn fill screen off"
  • Alt-click on what parts you want to change
  • Select the red icon with a menu (Menu for me)
  • Select "change color"
  • Use the color picker to change the color!
  • Once you're done, Shift-click the R again and select "save image for end-user"

It's a bit silly, though...  tongue

To be honest, Scratch isn't just for children - it's for people of all ages. The look does make it seem like a kids' program, though...  smile

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#3 2010-05-27 19:03:57

soupoftomato
Scratcher

Well. I believe the main problem would be that cat that appears. I heard of wa way to change the main sprite, but I forgot.  neutral

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#4 2010-05-27 19:59:48

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

Well, I don't know of any production versions of Scratch with different skins...but it has been discussed and may be an option in later releases.  Maybe we should move this to suggestions?

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#5 2010-05-27 20:13:31

illusionist
Retired Community Moderator

Paddle2See wrote:

Well, I don't know of any production versions of Scratch with different skins...but it has been discussed and may be an option in later releases.  Maybe we should move this to suggestions?

Oooh! Can I do it?  big_smile

http://i.imgur.com/8LX1NrV.png

#6 2010-05-27 20:18:05

soupoftomato
Scratcher

illusionist wrote:

Paddle2See wrote:

Lol.

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#7 2010-05-27 20:23:36

illusionist
Retired Community Moderator

soupoftomato wrote:

illusionist wrote:

Paddle2See wrote:

Lol.

I'll take that as a yes!  lol

http://i.imgur.com/8LX1NrV.png

#8 2010-05-27 20:24:08

soupoftomato
Scratcher

illusionist wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

illusionist wrote:

Lol.

I'll take that as a yes!  lol

Then go right ahead.  lol

• Index
  •  » Suggestions
  •  » Teaching introductory programming in preparatory courses at University

Board footer