This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2010-05-15 10:52:15

DaGamez
Scratcher

How to handle the forums

Chapters:
1: TROLLING (what bullies do)
2: REPORTING
3: POSTS
4: FLAME WAR
5: SIGNATURES
6: FORUMS
7: WHAT TO DO ON THE FORUMS
8: USERS (Chapter in making)
9: Ideas for a new chapter? Read this small chapter and then reply your idea!

Chapter I: Trolling

Some of you may have been bullied, probably not yet, but might be in the future. So this is how to handle it:
If someone insults you or something as a reply, don't insult back. For example:

The bully:
Hey, this project is very bad. Don't advertise bad projects on Show and Tell.

Never respond like this.
Hey, your projects are worse! You're probably just jealous because you're so bad and I'm so good.

That may get the bully banned, but it'll get you banned also. So never do that.

The way to handle this kind of thing is to do this: When someone bullies you report that reply or post, or just delete that reply, if you're the one who created the post.
Also, if you react very bad, you'll be doing something we call Feeding the trolls. That would only encourage the troll to troll you more.
Also, if you ever make a forum post asking the scratch team to ban the troll, they'll just close the topic, like you aren't supposed to do that.

Chapter II: Reporting

Be aware of what you're reporting. You should not report anything unless it belongs in another forum, is inappropriate for the community, or is against someone. So, you shouldn't report anything unless it has those 3 reasons. Or if you want to have your topic closed, you think someone else's topic's name should be changed, etc.. If you report something like How Famous am I? in the misc. forum, you'd be doing nothing except bothering the Scratch Team. If you become a mod, you would be able to close posts, delete replies that are inappropriate, etc., but it's very hard to do that. Also you need to be at least 6 months old on scratch.
Also, If you report the first post of a thread that you created, you can ask moderators to close or open a thread, or change the title. If you delete the first post (If you wrote it) it will delete the whole thread.
Chapter III: Posts

Post something only on the right forum. For example, if it's something like "I suggest we make a new emoticon (Emotion, such as  big_smile ) demonstrating xD!", it goes in suggestions. If it's something like "Modern Warfare is the best game on the X-Box!", that goes in the misc. forum. If it's something like "Hey, I'm new to the forums." That goes in new scratch members, and something like "My newest project: Air!" that goes in the Show and Tell forum.
Also, post something that isn't inappropriate. Well, I wrote everything about posts in other forums, so this doesn't have to be too long.

Chapter IV (4): Flame War

A flame war happens when people start arguing really bad. Flame wars are not tolerated on Scratch. If you flame, you might get reported, your post might be deleted, and you might get banned if you continue doing it. If a flame war starts and we aren't able to stop it, the topic gets closed. This is an example of a flame war:

User1 wrote:

Hey guys! Look at this epic drawing I made!
*image here*

User2 wrote:

Wow that really sucks. I hate you now. Leave Scratch.

User1 wrote:

WHAT? YOU THINK IT SUCKS? You do. You fail at life. I spent two hours drawing that.

User2 wrote:

It looks so horrible that it looks like a baby made it.

User3 wrote:

People, stop flaming!

User2 wrote:

You're flaming.

Chapter V (5): Signatures

Want to know why you can't have a signature for 15 days after the first time you visit the forums? This is what Paddle2See, Forum Moderator, said.

Paddle2See wrote:

It's so it would be harder for spammers to put advertisement links in forums.

Need a guide on how to get a sig? Here it is: http://i30.tinypic.com/29p6cf9.gif
Then go to the personality box, then there will be something you can type in. That will be your signature, after you write something and submit.

Chapter VI (6): Forums

Announcements: Watch here for the latest releases of Scratch, and other announcements. Only moderators and the Scratch Team can post here, but anyone can reply to an open topic.
New Scratch Members: This is a forum to welcome new Scratchers to the community. Please post helpful information for new Scratch Members here. Anyone can post here.
Show and Tell: Tell everyone about your projects and galleries. Pretty much advertise here.
FAQ: (Frequently Asked Questions) You may not be able to post here, but still, you can reply. This is for the most asked questions, if you have another question use the All About Scratch forum.
All About Scratch: Questions about Scratch? No question is too basic! First check out the FAQ to see if there's a question there that's the same question you want to ask.
Advanced Topics: Talk about technical aspects or advanced features.
Suggestions: Ideas for the next version of Scratch or improvements to the Website? Post here.
Troubleshooting: Problems with Scratch? Think you've found a bug? Post here.
Sensor Boards: Topics relating to Scratch Boards, PicoBoards, and Scratch sensing and responding to things happening in the world around it.

Here there's scratch in other languages. These are the languages so far:
Dutch (Deutsch)
Spanish (Español)
French (Français)
Italian (Italiano)
Chinese (中文)
Greek (Ελληνικά)
Korean (한국어)
Portuguese (Português)
Norwegian (Norsk)
Nederlands forum (Nederlands)
Turkish (Türkçe)
Polish (Polski)
Translating scratch (Come here to discuss translation of the Scratch interface, website, and resources materials. Please discuss in English if possible, so we can better help you with translations.)
Other Languages (Use this forum if your language is not yet listed. After a language gets certain support it will get upgraded to a forum of its own.)

Now there's the inspiration and more forum.
Collaboration: Join with others to collaborate on Scratch projects. (For example make a company, a game, etc. here with other people.
Requests: Looking for something? Want to offer your skills to others? Post here.
Project Ideas: A good place to get ideas for projects.
Miscellaneous: Use this forum if you are not certain if the topic is directly related to Scratch.

Now there's archived forums in which you can no longer post. Only Mods and the Scratch Team can.

Inspiration and more: This has been moved to the four forums above.
Text Based Games (TBG) Also known as forum games. This has been moved to a seperate website, to go there click here.
Scratch Day 2009: This was finished an year ago. Now the one at MIT is happening on the 22nd of May, 2010.
Scratch @ MIT conference 2008: This ended two years ago. Now Scratch Day exists and this no longer does.
Educators: This has been moved to This place, named scratched.

Chapter VII (7):

This is what you SHOULD do on the forums. Credit to Paddle2See for the idea of this chapter!
You should treat everybody with respect. ALWAYS.
Also, one of the main purposes of the forum is to HELP others. If you want to help someone, you can go to, for example, the requests forum and say "If anyone needs an artist/programmer/voicer, I'll join!". That would be helpful to others, and probably get you a little better known if that gets famous.
Last, but not least, you should put helpful posts. Go to the "All About Scratch" forum and reply to a post that says something about needing help, for example:

The person who needs help's post:
Hey, I need to know how to make it so that if the stickman is touching red he goes to x=100 y=300. Any ideas?

This is how you should respond, if you know the answer.
You can put "When green flag clicked, forever if touching color (red), go to x=100 y=300.

This is how the person will answer back.
Thanks! I'll give you credit.

That's at least how the person MIGHT say that. But, of course, that may be different. Depending on the answer you give.

Chapter VIII (8): When a question is asked, try responding with a good answer. Users would not understand if you answer a one-word reply saying "Dunno." or "It's Simple." Try actually responding the answer well, with one of these: "Well, I didn't understand what you meant, but this is what I think can maybe work: Just have the sprite go to the place you want it to go." That way you the person would probably understand, and it MIGHT just work. If you understand the question, answer like this: "It's simple. Have the sprite that the player is using go to x=200 y=300 when touching red. I'll put a script for you:
<when green flag clicked>
<forever>
<if><touching color[red]>
<go to x sad  200 )y sad  300 )>

That's all for now, it's work in progress. I'm planning on making chapter 8 longer.

Chapter IX (9)

Last edited by DaGamez (2010-06-26 08:45:55)

http://scratchhtmlviewer.net23.net/image.php?project=1229757&amp;user=DaGamez

#2 2010-05-15 11:05:09

coolstuff
Community Moderator

Re: How to handle the forums

Very good post, nice tips.

#3 2010-05-15 11:06:47

DaGamez
Scratcher

coolstuff wrote:

Very good post, nice tips.

Thanks!

#4 2010-05-15 11:15:07

Wolfie1996
Retired Community Moderator

In the bit about reporting - perhaps you should say something about "If you report the first post of a thread that you created, you can ask moderators to close or open a thread, or change the title"... other than that, it's great  big_smile

"...Jargon - the practice of never calling a spade a spade, when you might instead call it a manual earth-restructing implement..." - Bill Bryson, Mother Tongue

#5 2010-05-15 11:21:27

DaGamez
Scratcher

Wolfie1996 wrote:

In the bit about reporting - perhaps you should say something about "If you report the first post of a thread that you created, you can ask moderators to close or open a thread, or change the title"... other than that, it's great  big_smile

Put it in, thanks!

#6 2010-05-15 13:23:59

DaGamez
Scratcher

How tedious.

#7 2010-05-15 13:47:48

DaGamez
Scratcher

bumpety

#8 2010-05-15 19:45:45

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

Wow...I can see you put a lot of work into this!  And you've answered a lot of questions that a new forum user is likely to have.  I do have a couple of thoughts for improving on this though  smile

I see a lot on what you shouldn't do in the forums...maybe it would be good to focus some on what you *should* do in the forums.  Something about how the purpose of the forums is to allow Scratchers to help other Scratchers and how important it is make helpful posts and treat everybody with respect.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#9 2010-05-15 20:43:36

DaGamez
Scratcher

Paddle2See wrote:

Wow...I can see you put a lot of work into this!  And you've answered a lot of questions that a new forum user is likely to have.  I do have a couple of thoughts for improving on this though  smile

I see a lot on what you shouldn't do in the forums...maybe it would be good to focus some on what you *should* do in the forums.  Something about how the purpose of the forums is to allow Scratchers to help other Scratchers and how important it is make helpful posts and treat everybody with respect.

Great idea! I'm putting that in.

#10 2010-05-15 21:01:34

DaGamez
Scratcher

Paddle2See wrote:

Changed!

#11 2010-05-15 21:53:31

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

Wow, you put a lot of effort into typing this guide!

I agree with Paddle2See, it would be a good idea to mention something about how people should interact in the forums. To add onto Padd2See's suggestion, maybe you could add some examples of being helpful in the forums?  smile

EDIT: looks like my comment is a bit late.  tongue

I'd like to add something that, when trying to answer a question, one-worded answers do not sound very friendly (especially if it is to point out something is wrong). When answering and trying to be helpful, it is usually a good idea to try and explain the answer well - this way, it makes it easier to try and understand the other's point-of-view.  smile

Last edited by cheddargirl (2010-05-15 21:58:32)

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#12 2010-05-16 03:06:24

meew0
Scratcher

Really nice post! You made an error:

Code:

[/b] The person who needs help's post:[/b]
Hey, I need to know how to make it so that if the stickman is touching red he goes to x=100 y=300. Any ideas?

Right is:

Code:

[b] The person who needs help's post:[/b]

And cheddargirl, (just pointing out) you made an error in your post, too.

cheddargirl wrote:

To add onto Padd2See's suggestion,

http://i.imgur.com/mJV3j.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/HwWAX.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/sZ7Ui.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/0y6yh.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/nOC4l.png

#13 2010-05-16 10:13:22

DaGamez
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

Wow, you put a lot of effort into typing this guide!

I agree with Paddle2See, it would be a good idea to mention something about how people should interact in the forums. To add onto Padd2See's suggestion, maybe you could add some examples of being helpful in the forums?  smile

EDIT: looks like my comment is a bit late.  tongue

I'd like to add something that, when trying to answer a question, one-worded answers do not sound very friendly (especially if it is to point out something is wrong). When answering and trying to be helpful, it is usually a good idea to try and explain the answer well - this way, it makes it easier to try and understand the other's point-of-view.  smile

Thanks! I put it in in a new chapter that's in making, that involved that xD
I actually think that xD should be an emoticon. xD

meew0 wrote:

Really nice post! You made an error:
Code:

[/b] The person who needs help's post:[/b]
Right is:
Code:

The person who needs help's post:

Thanks! Changed it.

#14 2010-05-16 10:22:44

juststickman
Scratcher

Actually with reporting, you can report anything that needs mod attention. Even if it's just changing the name.

http://is.gd/iBQi2 Add grob to your sig and help with world dominiation!http://is.gd/iBQ9Q                                                             Hey guys, we're seriously naming our team bob?

#15 2010-05-17 20:12:57

DaGamez
Scratcher

juststickman wrote:

Actually with reporting, you can report anything that needs mod attention. Even if it's just changing the name.

You are right. You have been promoted to Justastickman. Contrats, Justastickman, congrats!

#16 2010-05-18 04:20:35

iCode-747
Scratcher

Come on, this post is practically begging to be stickied!

-End Transmission-

#17 2010-05-18 04:52:12

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

iCode-747 wrote:

I agree that it has great information.  But I'm concerned that we are getting too many Sticky topics in New Scratch Members.  We already have these sticky topics that discuss some of the same information:

Welcome New Users! by mietreat
        The New User's Handbook by joeyman
         New to forums? No Problem! by greenflash
         Signatures by coka
         Don't Feed The Trolls! by Bopitman99
         Proper Forum Etiquette by Jonathanpb
         New user FAQ by coolperson

I'm wondering if we shouldn't go to some kind of Master sticky topics like Cheddargirl did in All About Scratch.  The Master stickies would have links to all the useful topics but the topics themselves would no longer be stickied. 

It looks like mietreat was going that route with the "Welcome New Users" topic...there are a lot of links to other topics in there.  Maybe it's simply a matter of reorganizing the "Welcome New Users" topic so that it is up to date - I notice there is a lot of dated material in there about Critique Groups that maybe shouldn't be there any more.   

Try to imagine that you are a brand-new user and you are trying to figure out how all this Scratch stuff works.  You see the New Scratch Members forum and click on it...what would you like to see?  How best can the forum be organized to answer your (the new user) questions?

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#18 2010-05-18 06:17:02

TheSaint
Scratcher

Paddle2See wrote:

iCode-747 wrote:

I agree that it has great information.  But I'm concerned that we are getting too many Sticky topics in New Scratch Members.  We already have these sticky topics that discuss some of the same information:

Signatures by coka

I'm wondering if we shouldn't go to some kind of Master sticky topics like Cheddargirl did in All About Scratch.  The Master stickies would have links to all the useful topics but the topics themselves would no longer be stickied. 

It looks like mietreat was going that route with the "Welcome New Users" topic...there are a lot of links to other topics in there.  Maybe it's simply a matter of reorganizing the "Welcome New Users" topic so that it is up to date - I notice there is a lot of dated material in there about Critique Groups that maybe shouldn't be there any more.   

Try to imagine that you are a brand-new user and you are trying to figure out how all this Scratch stuff works.  You see the New Scratch Members forum and click on it...what would you like to see?  How best can the forum be organized to answer your (the new user) questions?

I think that One topic with a list like you said would be the best. Although, I would change the title so that the new members would know to look there for their needs.

#19 2010-05-18 06:39:57

Blade-Edge
Scratcher

TheSaint wrote:

Paddle2See wrote:

iCode-747 wrote:

Signatures by coka

I think that One topic with a list like you said would be the best. Although, I would change the title so that the new members would know to look there for their needs.

Or someone can just take everything from each thread and make a really long topic giving credit to all the people who wrote something

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5145/scratchycat.gif CLASSY

#20 2010-05-18 08:10:24

MyRedNeptune
Community Moderator

You should also add that you can use the report button to inform a mod if you want one of your topics closed. ^^ I think there are a lot of uses for the report button... the way you can use it depends on the circumstances. So I wouldn't be so point-blank about using it just for reporting bad stuff and nothing else.

http://i52.tinypic.com/5es7t0.png I know what you're thinking! "Neptune! Get rid of those filthy advertisements and give us back the Zarathustra siggy, you horrible person!" Well, don't worry about it, the Zara siggy will be back soon, new and improved! ^^ Meanwhile, just do what the sig tells you to. >.>

#21 2010-05-18 18:16:33

DaGamez
Scratcher

MyRedNeptune wrote:

You should also add that you can use the report button to inform a mod if you want one of your topics closed. ^^ I think there are a lot of uses for the report button... the way you can use it depends on the circumstances. So I wouldn't be so point-blank about using it just for reporting bad stuff and nothing else.

Added that, thanks, Neptune!

#22 2010-05-19 16:00:47

DaGamez
Scratcher

bumperoo

#23 2010-05-20 06:54:10

DaGamez
Scratcher