This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2010-04-14 21:01:11

AmoebaMan
Scratcher

Ten basic tips that every new Scratcher should hear

When I was a new Scratcher, I was a n00b.  I didn't know any of the cool tricks, techniques, or performance enchancement tips that I know now as a fairly advanced programmer.  In an effort to give any new Scratcher a leg up, I have decided to compile a list of the top ten tips/tricks that every new Scratcher should know.

These are not in any particular order, but are all important.  Hopefully this will get stickied, so that every new Scratcher can see and read it.

THE TOP TEN TIPS FOR NEW SCRATCHERS:

1) Keypress sensing: I see many new Scratchers who seem to see the [When [ ] key pressed] block and go ballistic, ignoring its obvious drawbacks.  This biggest issue with that block is that it is extremely limited in how often it fires.  If you mean for the key to be held, try this kind of script:

[When green flag clicked]
[forever]
     [if <key [ ] pressed>]
          [move ( ) steps]
     [/if]
[/forever]

The advantage of this kind of script is that the <key [ ] pressed> block senses much more rapidly than the key press initiator, resulting in much smoother results.  Also, you will not get a pause in the beginning due to the key repeat delay.  Also, this is essential for 1s1s games.

2) DOWNLOAD DOWNLOAD DOWNLOAD: To many people nowadays disregard the instructional value of downloading an advanced project and looking through its scripts.  Not something uber complex like Web Wizard (if you have ever tried you know what I mean - props to those dudes who can actually understand that), but something that is complex, yet understandable.  Projects like RHY's perfect platformer base and others like that are especially helpful.  I cannot stress to you enough that without having downloaded FunnyGamesCreator's GRAVITY game, I would not understand the concept of X and Y velocities the way I do today.  Which brings us to...

3) Velocity Variables: For realistic movement, including inertia, friction, gravity, and bouncing effects, the understanding of momentum/velocity variables is a must.  The basic concept is to have a forever script having the sprite move in one direction based on the variable.  Then you increase or decrease the variable based on what key is pressed.  For friction, you can multiply the variable constantly by a number between 0.01, and 0.99.  The higher the number, the less friction there is.  The concept is similar, yet different for y-velocity, or gravity.  To get a real grip on this concept (its difficult to explain) check out GRAVITY by FGC, or my own project, Neon - Perfect Platformer Base

4) Hacking Scratch: Not really an basic priciple, but one every Scratcher should know.  Hold shift and click the loop of the R in the scratch logo in the top left corner, and click turn off fill screen.  Then click the new blank space, you can mess around with Squeak.  This allows you to tweak Scratch in all kinds of ways, but don't save the image unless you want the changes to be permanent.

5) Sensor Sprites: This is a concept that can really improve the visual aspect of your games, or really screw up the performance if now implemented properly.  The basic idea is that, instead of putting tons of colors on your sprite for color sensing purposes, you make a sensor sprite that remains hidden.  This can be as colorful as you want, and you put all your sensing and motion scripts on it.  Then you have the sprite you want to be visible constantly "go to" the invisible sensor sprite.  I hate to sound like I'm soliciting for myself, but my Neon - Perfect Platformer Base has a great example of this technique implemented.

6) Paint or Import your own sprites:  Do NOT use the built in Scratch sprites.  They are bad, and will usually get you laughed at.  If you want high quality sprites, do a google image search, or search scratch.  If you are lucky, you may find a sprite gallery project filled with excellent sprites along the lines of your project.  Although it is better than using default sprites, only resort to using the paint sprite tool as a last resort.

7) Use the sprite control tools: These are unique sprite properties located at the top of the screen, near the selected sprite's name.  Immediately to the left of the sprite image you will see three buttons: rotate, face left/right, and static.  These affect the rotational freedom of the sprite.  The circly arrow one will let your sprite face its direction.  The one that looks like this: <---->  will make your sprite only face left or right depending on which side its direction is closest to (usefull for platformers).  And the final option will make your sprite's appearance static no matter what its direction is.  To the right of the sprite name is a padlock.  This allows you to toggle on/off whether the sprite can be dragged online and in presentation mode (you can still drag in the editor).

8) Ask for help: The forums.  There is a special place for all your questions.  Use it.

9) Make projects that will attract attention.  Nothing will get you recognised more quickly than getting top viewed, especially since top viewed always sets off a chain reaction that somehow gets you even more views (some games stay up there for weeks).  Also, the more friends you get, the more people will see your projects.  There is a special row devoted to "my friends' projects" on the home page.  When you post a project anyone who has friended you will instantly see it.  This can get you lots of views fast.

10) KILL THE TROLLS!  KILL THEM WITH LOTS OF FIRE: The final, and most important piece of advice: don't feed the trolls.  Trolls are the n00bs who patrol Scratch looking for newbie Scratchers, and post comments on their projects telling them how horrible they are.  Don't reply, don't let them get to you.  Don't feed the trolls.  They want a reaction.  In almost all cases, trolls don't have any good projects themselves, so don't feel bad.  Actually, it doesn't matter how you feel - just don't feed them.

Well, thats all.  If I come up with more, I'll share them.  Until then, get better, and SCRATCH ON!  lol

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad269/RyanScathe/AmoebaMan.png

#2 2010-04-14 22:48:36

archmage
Scratcher

Re: Ten basic tips that every new Scratcher should hear

And here is the tip that trumps all of your tips:

Learn to make interactive programs in other languages. If you feel that you really want to dedicate yourself to being the best coder you can be then its essential that you learn another language.

Hi, I am Archmage coder extraordinaire. I do Scratch,pascal,java,php,html, AS2 and AS3. Leave me a message if you want coding advice. Also check out my personal website, lots of good stuff about web development, Flash, and Scratch (v1 and v2) !

#3 2010-04-14 22:53:42

AmoebaMan
Scratcher

archmage wrote:

And here is the tip that trumps all of your tips:

Learn to make interactive programs in other languages. If you feel that you really want to dedicate yourself to being the best coder you can be then its essential that you learn another language.

wonderful.  remember this is for BEGINNING scratchers.

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad269/RyanScathe/AmoebaMan.png

#4 2010-04-14 22:56:21

archmage
Scratcher

Yeah, my tip was just for people who really wanted to devote themselves to programming. If you are just using scratch for one month then you can do whatever but if you want to be the best you can be learning a new language is essential.

Last edited by archmage (2010-04-14 22:57:08)

Hi, I am Archmage coder extraordinaire. I do Scratch,pascal,java,php,html, AS2 and AS3. Leave me a message if you want coding advice. Also check out my personal website, lots of good stuff about web development, Flash, and Scratch (v1 and v2) !

#5 2010-04-15 04:56:09

juststickman
Scratcher

Number 5 is not a good thing, because go to lags (it happens at the beginning of the script). You can make your sensor sprite ON the sprite as a COSTUME.

http://is.gd/iBQi2 Add grob to your sig and help with world dominiation!http://is.gd/iBQ9Q                                                             Hey guys, we're seriously naming our team bob?

Board footer