This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2007-06-01 09:04:16

jsimone
Scratcher

Sharing sprites on the web

I would like to suggest to the Scratch team they consider a way to share sprites on the web.

Currently, we can import a sprite object and it comes into the project with it's scripts.  Great!

We can also export a sprite object from our project and save it to disk.  Great!

But, it would really be wonderful to have a sprites/parts/object repository on the web that contributors could post to.  This way if someone makes a nice flying bat, a race car with motor sounds, or some other interesting object, they can share it with the rest of the community if they like.

Instead of searching projects, we could look for the needed project parts and assemble them into a working project without having to rewrite the objects from the beginning.

In a recent presentation to elementary school kids (ages 10 and 11) I was asked about making the cat dance.  Unfortunately, to make the cat dance is not trivial -- but it could be with a parts catalog.

Thanks for your consideration of this request.

Last edited by jsimone (2007-06-01 15:29:49)

#2 2007-06-03 01:29:08

Macca
Scratcher

Re: Sharing sprites on the web

It sounds like a great idea.

However, the images in scratch arent of high quality, so even if the image looked awesome on the site it wouldnt be as nice on Scratch.

Also, take into consideration how different costumes would be shown and downloaded in one package.

However, I would suggest having a small section on each project where they can add links to sprites they used in a similar way people can add tags or comments...

~Macca

#3 2007-07-05 13:42:44

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

Re: Sharing sprites on the web

These are awesome ideas.  I added them to the wish list.

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

Board footer