This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2007-05-08 11:35:13

loiskertesz
Scratcher

How it is going with my freshmen in Scratch

We finished programming in java with moving applets and we were burned out.  Most are not going to go into CS AP so I needed a topic for the rest of the year.  The first day we explored motion and some of the control parts.  The second day we wrote scripts for background changes, learned the pen and about adding sound.

The next topic will be a sprite with multiple costumes and then multiple sprites.  I have tryed to stay ahead of them, but these kids are good at this.

I need to quiz or test and then move on to the variables and conditionals - I am open to any good suggestions for assignments.

The projects folder is a nightmare of easy projects, difficult projects and everything in between.  It sure would be nice if this could be sorted out.

I do not understand how the galleries work - I want to build a gallery for my best projects at the end of the year but can they all see them?

Lois

#2 2007-05-08 14:55:43

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

Re: How it is going with my freshmen in Scratch

Galleries are easy to create (too easy---there are way too many galleries). 
Just go to galleries when you are logged in as a scratch user, and it'll ask you if you want to create a new gallery.

Doing a "names" project is a good one, as it can be trivially simple or massively complex, depending on the interests of the programmer.  If you do names projects, please add them to the Names Gallery, which needs a lot more stuff in it!

The "pushing the limits" gallery tends to have difficult projects.

If you want to teach double buffering, then having scrolling credits or a scrolling "background" using two coordinated sprites is a good challenge.

#3 2007-05-10 10:20:18

tammy
Scratcher

Hi loiskertesz,

Thanks for your message.

Re: unsorted projects folder
We agree!  In the next version (coming out in a couple of weeks), the projects will be sorted based on difficulty level.

Re: looking for more topics
If you're looking for more ways for your class to explore Scratch, the Scratch cards might be helpful.  They are available here:
http://scratch.mit.edu/cards

Also, another Scratch user posted some more advanced Scratch cards here:
http://stratolab.com/misc/scratch_cards/

(See stratolab's message here:
http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=164#p649)

Thanks!
-Tammy

#4 2007-05-10 16:18:51

loiskertesz
Scratcher

double buffer is possible?  wow - so much to try and 3 weeks of school left   sad

#5 2007-05-11 06:22:35

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

Well, without arrays you can't really do double buffering, but the notion of switching back and forth between two sprites to do scrolling displays is conceptually related.

#6 2007-05-29 11:58:52

lcarey
Scratcher

Hi,
I am going to try JAVA for non geeks next year. I like Scratch as an intuitive gateway to programming. Do you know of any resources that would bridge the activities developed in scratch with a JAVA or C++ ?

#7 2007-05-29 12:43:11

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

You could try alice (http://alice.org) as a language intermediate between Scratch and java.  It has some of the data structures that people have been missing in scratch, and it does 3D graphics.  It is harder to work with than scratch, and creating new animatable objects can't be done within alice, but it might be a friendly transition to java.

#8 2007-05-29 13:20:52

DrJim
Scratcher

kevin_karplus wrote:

You could try alice (http://alice.org ).....  It is harder to work with than scratch, and creating new animatable objects can't be done within alice, but it might be a friendly transition to java.

Since the costumes for sprites can have transparent backgrounds, you could import a series of Scratch costumes as textures for a billboard in Alice and then just write a short method to display the textures in sequence (see the Alice "fire" animation in their special effects gallery).

I personally have trouble going from the .gif format to .png (which Alice likes) and keeping transparency - but it's not something that's to hard to recreate if it's lost.

#9 2007-07-05 13:04:28

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

Alice is great. There is also Processing, which even closer to Java.

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

Board footer