This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2008-04-03 04:33:03

MasterOfMac
Scratcher

I've been told to NOT to learn Scratch.

Which turned out to be a very bad suggesstion.
A HUGE thank you to everyone on the Scratch team...
So far, the program has given me a great look at how to use functions and variables to easily solve puzzling problems.
Because of the wonderful online community, I've learned to do almost anything possible... especially with the source code which has opened up an entire world of possibilities (via custom blocks)
With the deeper understanding granted by Scratch,
ActionScript, C++, Java, etc. Have all become around 10 times more approachable.

And now I feel like a total suck up/* for writing this.
...but I just made my first real breakthrough with the DirectX SDK... And am feeling very emotional. But not pervarted or anything. Don't worry about that. XD

Anyway sorry to the mods if this was the wrong thread to post this in.

Cheers,
MasterOfMac (AKA Alec)

Last edited by MasterOfMac (2008-04-03 04:38:00)

*sarcasm*

#2 2008-04-03 04:57:47

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

Re: I've been told to NOT to learn Scratch.

Glad to hear that you've gotten a lot out of Scratch; it's a wonderful language and a very supportive community.  But - I'm curious - who gave you the advice to "Not to learn Scratch" and what were their reasons?

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#3 2008-04-03 05:01:18

Jens
Scratcher

I'd like to know who told you not to learn Scratch and for which reason?

Jens Mönig

#4 2008-04-04 02:14:56

MasterOfMac
Scratcher

I think they had my best interests in mind...
They thought that I should start learning to code "old school" before I tried anything that might give me bad habits. When they saw that Scratch was developed for younger people, they assumed that it would be a step back from my already limited knowledge of standard syntax. Luckily, Smalltalk is a wonderful language; and the Scratch command blocks are powered by LogoBlocks; which eliminates syntax errors.

Anyway... thanks for the source tutorials (on Jens' part) and proof that Scratch has more to offer than what's on the front page (Paddle2See's projects)

Last edited by MasterOfMac (2008-04-04 02:15:47)

*sarcasm*

#5 2008-05-14 18:25:12

glough_guy
Scratcher

my mom downloaded it for me to learn how to make videogames, but that dosent mean split-screen games, side-scrollers, 3-D games, shooter games, etc., will be easy to make. i normally stick to making animations, but maybe will make a game.

please be nice to me on scratch.

Board footer