This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.
  • Index
  •  » Suggestions
  •  » Different sections for projects with different complexity.

#1 2007-05-29 00:14:17

fandebiao
Scratcher

Different sections for projects with different complexity.

To address the problem of an overwhelming upload of projects, I think there should be different sections on the home page that correspond to projects with different complexity.  And the complexity is determined by the author of that project.  But the author can not give his project a complexity level higher than his rank, which is determined by an admin or a higher ranked developer.  And references for ranking could be things like how many loves one gets, how many views one gets, etc.

With the section and ranking system,
1.People can find what they want faster.
2.People and learn faster.  If one were a beginner, he can download projects in the beginner's section and learn the most basic stuff.  If one were an experienced programmer, he can download projects in the experienced section and learn more complex stuff.  This way, people learn in a more controlled and progressive way rather than "jump learning".
3.Better projects were promoted because people want better ranks.
4.An advanced project doesn't get buried under less worthy projects as quickly.

Last edited by fandebiao (2007-05-29 00:14:55)

#2 2007-05-29 04:42:33

Macca
Scratcher

Re: Different sections for projects with different complexity.

Maybe have a hall of fame where the best of the best projects are located and it has a link on the front page like the Scratch Club link.

~Macca

#3 2007-05-29 13:05:27

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

There is a "Best of Scratch" gallery, but since the owner has no control over what gets put there, there is no quality control.  (I put some of *my* stuff in Best of Scratch, but who knows what would happen if there was any real choice.)

#4 2007-06-03 01:35:39

Macca
Scratcher

Yes galleries are a strange part of scratch because you might want a person to put a certain project in there and they fill it with there spammed projects where they were playing around, and you can get rid of them. I seriously suggest to the owners of scratch to delete every gallery and use a new system where people submit their favourite projects almost like they do on there profile, except they can choose to favourite the project to a gallery.

~Macca

#5 2007-06-03 11:22:49

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

Some of the galleries are OK (The Names Gallery seems to be getting the right stuff, and so does Math Connections).  Rather than deleting all galleries, they should delete the empty ones and give the owners control over what goes into and comes out of the others.

Programmers should be able to bring the attention of gallery owners to their projects, but the gallery owners should collect whatever they like into the galleries.

#6 2007-07-03 18:20:28

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

Thanks to your suggestions we made galleries that have zero projects invisible when browsing galleries. You can still see them if you know the URL but at least they don't take up useful space when browsing.

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#7 2007-07-04 04:17:50

bigB
Scratcher

i think this is basically kevins idea.  how about you favourite/subscribe to a gallery but all that does is allows you to see it from your mystuff page.  once you have a gallery favourited you can 'apply' any of your projects to a gallery in the same way as you currently submit them.  this allows the gallery owner to see this project in a section called applicants. he/she then decides which ones to submit.  he/she can also remove any projects individually.

http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/bigB/260981 Draw to Text
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/bigB/181829 3D Stunt Flyer

#8 2007-07-04 12:03:17

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

I don't think that you should have to "subscribe" to a gallery to submit to it.
Certainly I don't subscribe to all the journals that I submit research articles to.

The two concepts---wanting to see what is in a gallery frequently and having a project that would be valuable in a gallery are not even closely related!

• Index
  •  » Suggestions
  •  » Different sections for projects with different complexity.

Board footer